Boston College 1L taking questions! Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
BCLS

Silver

Boston College 1L taking questions!

Post by BCLS » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:58 pm

I'd be happy to answer any questions you guys have. Shoot!

BCLS

Silver

Re: Boston College 1L taking questions!

Post by BCLS » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:07 pm

hkw22

New

Post by hkw22 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:18 am

Hello! I'm applying to BC for 2011. Would you be willing to share what other schools you applied to and what factors were most important for you to decide to attend BC? Is the school as cooperative and collegial as it sounds? Thanks!

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:58 pm

hkw22 wrote:Hello! I'm applying to BC for 2011. Would you be willing to share what other schools you applied to and what factors were most important for you to decide to attend BC? Is the school as cooperative and collegial as it sounds? Thanks!
Sure! Sorry for the delay. I applied to schools ranked 14-30. As someone looking to work in Boston permanently, I sought to find the school that would best help me to achieve my options. BC has a phenomenal reputation in Boston and the atmosphere has been nothing short of friendly. Of course you get a few bad apples at every school, but in general BC has been great so far.

You should visit BC and get an idea of the school environment-- you'll see why everyone says its the disneyland of law schools!

bostlaw

Bronze

Post by bostlaw » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:48 pm

Im still in my undergrad but I know that I really want to practice and live in Boston, and want to go to law school there so I figure that brings me down to UB or BC. Ive done alot of research on both of the schools and despite TLS and others having UB ranked slightly higher (not that it matters) I really want to get in at BC.

Finally my question: Does one school seem to carry more weight with firms in Boston than the other? Are they about the same? Or what? Thinking I want to deal with some type of business/corporate law.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:37 am

BC/BU have equal placement in Boston. It comes down to aesthetics and where you get more scholarship money.

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:22 pm

bostlaw wrote:Im still in my undergrad but I know that I really want to practice and live in Boston, and want to go to law school there so I figure that brings me down to UB or BC. Ive done alot of research on both of the schools and despite TLS and others having UB ranked slightly higher (not that it matters) I really want to get in at BC.

Finally my question: Does one school seem to carry more weight with firms in Boston than the other? Are they about the same? Or what? Thinking I want to deal with some type of business/corporate law.
I'd say they are pretty similar. I agree with the poster above that money scholarship money should be a consideration. Visit both schools and see which you feel more comfortable at.

bostlaw

Bronze

Post by bostlaw » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:12 am

BCLS wrote:
bostlaw wrote:Im still in my undergrad but I know that I really want to practice and live in Boston, and want to go to law school there so I figure that brings me down to UB or BC. Ive done alot of research on both of the schools and despite TLS and others having UB ranked slightly higher (not that it matters) I really want to get in at BC.

I'd say they are pretty similar. I agree with the poster above that money scholarship money should be a consideration. Visit both schools and see which you feel more comfortable at.

so no significant difference in having better job prospects in Boston? I was browsing a UB thread and the OP made it seem like there was some huge difference in the ways firms look at UB than BC. But I assumed they were just being biased.

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:44 pm

bostlaw wrote:
BCLS wrote:

so no significant difference in having better job prospects in Boston? I was browsing a UB thread and the OP made it seem like there was some huge difference in the ways firms look at UB than BC. But I assumed they were just being biased.
There is definitely not a huge difference, if any. I'd love to see the numbers that back that assertion.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nihilism is key

Bronze

Post by nihilism is key » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:24 pm

bostlaw wrote:
BCLS wrote:

I'm sorry but this is driving me nuts: there is no school that goes by UB. Boston University = BU.

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:21 am

nihilism is key wrote: I'm sorry but this is driving me nuts: there is no school that goes by UB. Boston University = BU.
Fun fact. UB = home of Faisal Shahzad (aka times square bomber).

http://www.bridgeport.edu/

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:11 am

concurrent fork wrote:
nihilism is key wrote: I'm sorry but this is driving me nuts: there is no school that goes by UB. Boston University = BU.
Fun fact. UB = home of Faisal Shahzad (aka times square bomber).

http://www.bridgeport.edu/
wow didn't know that. I've seen UB a few times-- rough school with 40k per year tuition.

RPK34

Silver

Post by RPK34 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:48 am

What kind of jobs are those at median looking at, if you know?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:36 pm

RPK34 wrote:What kind of jobs are those at median looking at, if you know?
I haven't talked to many median 2 and 3L's. Everyone I've been in touch with (top 30) have been getting plenty of call-backs.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:58 pm

Everyone I've been in touch with (top 30) have been getting plenty of call-backs.
In a sense this is not surprising, but it is already mid october and many firms have made offers. Have you heard of anyone with actual job offers or are they just interviewing?

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:29 pm

Yes! My sample isn't huge but most of them have some pretty solid offers. I'll defer here to other 2 and 3L's. You don't get the impression around here that jobs are as scarce as we've heard. Im crossing my fingers lol

imbored25

Bronze

Post by imbored25 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:41 pm

im posting this here since apparently you can't start a new topic for a while, with a 3.1 what lsat will i need to have a good shot at bc/bu, or is the gpa just to low? decent softs, nothing amazing

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

impressivekowalski

New

Post by impressivekowalski » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:07 pm

With a 3.1 a 167 will probably get you on the waitlist, but you'll probably need a 169+ for a chance at outright admittance. 172 and you are in, maybe with a little money.

DukeCornell

Bronze

Post by DukeCornell » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:11 pm

What were your numbers and how is campus life?

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:14 pm

Do you want your money back?

CGI Fridays

Silver

Post by CGI Fridays » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:16 pm

Veyron wrote:Do you want your money back?
Normally your trolling sucks & is blatantly cruel, but this, while negative as usual, put a smile on my face.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:28 pm

Veyron wrote:Do you want your money back?
absolutely not. One article written by an anonymous poster not disclosing his class rank has little affect on me. Everyday I speak to many people with jobs lined up. His letter was a clear case of self-selection. Obviously the bottom of the class at BC are having a tough time snagging a job.

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:29 pm

DukeCornell wrote:What were your numbers and how is campus life?
Campus life is great! EVeryone is really laid back and friendly. Everyone shares notes and the environment isnt overly competitive. I cant imagine going anywhere else for law school.

bcls85

New

Post by bcls85 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:00 pm

I'm a 2L BC Law student. I share your enthusiasm for the atmosphere at the school, but I should caution that employment prospects are still dismal. Seems like only the top 10-15% are faring well, and outside of that it's hit or miss. Plenty of LR students don't have jobs.

I don't think there are many better places than BC to go to school, but before considering which law school you would like to attend, you must evaluate whether going to law school in such an uncertain job environment is worth the extraordinary investment.

I say none of this out of frustration, as I do have a summer offer. I am only warning you that while campus life is great, job prospects right now are not.

bostlaw

Bronze

Post by bostlaw » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:14 pm

where is there not a uncertain job enviroment though? is NYC or DC better?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”