Penn State DSL 1L Taking Questions over Spring Break Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
SoxyPirate

Bronze

Penn State DSL 1L Taking Questions over Spring Break

Post by SoxyPirate » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:07 pm

Shoot.

JohnnyDarko

New

Re: Penn State DSL 1L Taking Questions over Spring Break

Post by JohnnyDarko » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:13 pm

Hi,

Penn State is one, if not the one, of my top choices. As a west coaster I am looking for general information about the "atmosphere" or, for lack of a more accurate term, the general viewpoints and attitudes of the students at Penn (both law students and otherwise).

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:19 pm

Are you at University Park or Carlisle? Where do most law students live when they live off campus? Can you write on to law review? Would it be possible to do law review and moot court? How are the facilities (I will be at Open House but I can't help but ask)?

Thanks!
And I am sure I will have more questions soon!

SoxyPirate

Bronze

Post by SoxyPirate » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:22 pm

JohnnyDarko wrote:Hi,

Penn State is one, if not the one, of my top choices. As a west coaster I am looking for general information about the "atmosphere" or, for lack of a more accurate term, the general viewpoints and attitudes of the students at Penn (both law students and otherwise).

I'm not completely sure what you're asking, but let me tell you that I have several classmates from the West Coast and/or who attended undergrad out west (UCLA, Berkeley, Washington, etc.).

As far as "atmosphere," Penn State is a University with a town, not vice versa. The school is the atmosphere. Carlisle, on the other hand, is a part of the Harrisburg metropolitan area, which has over 500,000 people. Carlisle itself is kind of small, but you can be right there in the middle of the Harrisburg scene if you want, and it offers more of a "I live in a city that has a school" feel than University Park.

As far as viewpoints and attitudes, my feel is that there is a good mix of liberal/conservative at Penn State, even amongst professors. I'd say we lean left, but only slightly.

Hope this helps.

JohnnyDarko

New

Post by JohnnyDarko » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:32 pm

That helps tremendously. I'm sure I will be able to scope out the vibe when I visit next week. Thank you for your time and insight!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SoxyPirate

Bronze

Post by SoxyPirate » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:32 pm

jbarl1 wrote:Are you at University Park or Carlisle?
University Park, but I've been to the new Carlisle building so I can comment a little on that campus.
Where do most law students live when they live off campus?
I'm not sure about "most," but I know that a lot of students live at White Course, Toftrees, Park Crest Terrace, and a lot rent privately owned homes/duplexes in and around State College. A good number of students live down the road in Bellefonte.
Can you write on to law review?
Yes. There is a writing competition that begins right after finals.
Would it be possible to do law review and moot court?
I hope so. I'm planning on doing both.
How are the facilities (I will be at Open House but I can't help but ask)?
Top-notch. I can't imagine studying law in a finer building. That's not just my opinion. Professors/professionals/politicians/judges/etc. from across the country always comment on how blown away they are by the facilities. I visited a handful of other schools before coming to Penn State, and Penn State seems to be an outlier, even when compared to other new schools/buildings. You'll love it.

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:42 pm

Do you feel as if the job prospects are good? Have you had multiple options for summer employment?

SoxyPirate

Bronze

Post by SoxyPirate » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:52 pm

jbarl1 wrote:Do you feel as if the job prospects are good? Have you had multiple options for summer employment?
Yes. Most of my friends have already lined up something for the summer as well. Most, if not all, are unpaid though. I sent out resumes at the end of January and started hearing back the next week. I'm working at a district attorney's office. One friend is doing criminal defense, another two or three are working with local judges. One has an offer from the US Attorney General's office.

A lot of people who come to Penn State are from out of state and have connections back at home, for whatever that's worth. Seems like most [strike]of my friends[/strike] of my classmates are going home for the summer, but I'm staying around State College and had no trouble finding work really. I did the work, but it wasn't too difficult.

Full disclosure: As far as I can tell, a lot of my friends are top 25% of the class or so.

Also, on a related note, Carlisle will probably be the better choice for people who want to stay in/around Pennsylvania during summers, especially if you want to stay in the same apartment/house you're renting during the school year. There just aren't that many legal jobs around State College, but Harrisburg offers a lot of summertime opportunities for law students. This is something I wish I had known before coming to University Park. Also, if you're married and your wife/husband plans on working, Carlisle may be easier on you than UP because your wife/husband can keep their job during the summer and you'll have plenty of opportunities in Harrisburg.

Similarly, Carlisle offers 2X more externship opportunities during the semester for 2L's and 3L's than UP. Keep that in mind if you plan on doing an externship for credit or if you want to have legal employment during law school. That's not to say that there are no opportunities at UP, only that there are more in Harrisburg.

***Edited for clarity and accuracy.

Kchuck

Bronze

Post by Kchuck » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:55 pm

Is it bad that when I saw DSL I immediately thought of this....

--LinkRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SoxyPirate

Bronze

Post by SoxyPirate » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:57 pm

Kchuck wrote:Is it bad that when I saw DSL I immediately thought of this....

--LinkRemoved--

No. Every time I go to the website I think of that. It actually makes every day at Penn State special.

ahk!

New

Post by ahk! » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:02 am

Thanks for your time.

I'm reposting this question from another thread about PSU. If I go to PSU - will I have to buy a car (at either campus)?

SoxyPirate

Bronze

Post by SoxyPirate » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:42 pm

ahk! wrote:Thanks for your time.

I'm reposting this question from another thread about PSU. If I go to PSU - will I have to buy a car (at either campus)?
UP: Depends on where you live. You can get by without a car, I suppose. Most people have cars though.

Carlisle: No idea. Sorry.

ahk!

New

Post by ahk! » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:32 pm

thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ForzaJuve123

New

Post by ForzaJuve123 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:35 pm

Thanks for answering our questions SoxyPirate, you're a great help..
How many students are at the UP campus(estimate)? and in your 1L class?
Are law students able to get football tickets?
I've gotten into Pitt and PSU. I like both schools a lot, but Pitt is cheaper, on the other hand I feel that PSU has a more national name (I'm out-of-state). From your experience, do you think PSU is worth the extra money?
Do you feel like the school will continue to move up in the rankings? I like the feeling of going to school and when I leave it's better than when I entered...
Where are your classmates going this summer, state/city wise?
How is life in State College? Do you like it or can you not wait to leave?

and again a big thanks!!

SoxyPirate

Bronze

Post by SoxyPirate » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:31 pm

ForzaJuve123 wrote:Thanks for answering our questions SoxyPirate, you're a great help..
How many students are at the UP campus(estimate)? and in your 1L class?
About 200 1L's. 2/3 at UP.
Are law students able to get football tickets?
Yes. I don't know the details like I should, but students didn't seem to have trouble finding grad student seating for games last year.
I've gotten into Pitt and PSU. I like both schools a lot, but Pitt is cheaper, on the other hand I feel that PSU has a more national name (I'm out-of-state). From your experience, do you think PSU is worth the extra money?
That will depend entirely on your goals/plans. More PSU grads land jobs outside of PA and in more states than Pitt. Pitt obviously places better in Pittsburgh, whereas PSU would be better for state government, DC, Philly, and out of state generally. That's not to say that PSU is the best for Philly or DC, just better than Pitt.
Do you feel like the school will continue to move up in the rankings? I like the feeling of going to school and when I leave it's better than when I entered...
Yes, and I'm not alone. I wouldn't be surprised if we were in the 50's this year and top 50 in a couple of years.

Where are your classmates going this summer, state/city wise?

and again a big thanks!!
I'm on my BB right now, but I'll answer this part when I'm in front of a computer.

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:53 pm

What is the cost of parking at UP? Can you park close to the building?

charlesjd

Bronze

Post by charlesjd » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:21 pm

I have noticed it places well in the South Atlantic and Mid-Atlantic. Does Penn State have a reputation outside of those regions such as in the ENC??

Also, how is the alumni network??

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SoxyPirate

Bronze

Post by SoxyPirate » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:26 pm

ForzaJuve123 wrote: Where are your classmates going this summer, state/city wise?
Well I can't really speak for all 200 of us, but like I said above, my classmates are finding summer work in and out of PA, in DA's offices, with judges, state gov't, private firms, etc. Lots of PSU students come from out of state, many with connections to their home state, so a good number are returning to their home states for summer work. I had an option to go back to NC for the summer or to stay in PA. I chose to stay in PA because my wife will be working and we'd rather stay and let her keep that job for next year.

and again a big thanks!!
Well, I personally like it a lot. Keep in mind though:

1) I'm married
2) I'm Mormon, so I don't go out and drink/party like some of my classmates
3) I'm from a small, small town (< 2,000)

To me, it's close enough to big cities (Philly and Pittsburgh are ~3 hrs away), but small enough to not be intimidating for me or my wife. I would recommend Carlisle for those wanting a bit more of the metropolitan (I know, it's a stretch) lifestyle, as opposed to the college/party lifestyle associated with PSU/State College. Carlisle itself is pretty small, but it's just across the river from Harrisburg and a more typical urban life.

Hope this helps.

SoxyPirate

Bronze

Post by SoxyPirate » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:28 pm

jbarl1 wrote:What is the cost of parking at UP? Can you park close to the building?
I think parking at the stadium is ~$40. You can get in the lotto for parking at the building, but that's pretty difficult to grab, since it goes to upperclassmen first.

The stadium is about a 10 minute walk.

SoxyPirate

Bronze

Post by SoxyPirate » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:40 pm

charlesjd wrote:I have noticed it places well in the South Atlantic and Mid-Atlantic. Does Penn State have a reputation outside of those regions such as in the ENC??

I'm not sure what the ENC is, because to me it means Eastern North Carolina (where I'm from). The reputation in Eastern NC is roughly the same as it would be anywhere else: "Oh, Penn State...that's a good school." What's going to matter outside of the South Atlantic and Mid-Atlantic are your connections and/or your ability to distinguish yourself.

Penn State has one of the largest alumni networks in the United States, and Dickinson is one of the oldest law schools in the country. More importantly, Penn state grads are more fanatical about being Penn State grads than just about any other group I've ever known. Penn State grads who went to law school elsewhere are still die-hard about their alma mater. There's a reason Penn State has had the money/resources to build two state of the art facilities in the past couple of years. Penn State alums (both the undergrads who went to law school elsewhere and the Dickinson School of Law grads) are thrilled as they can be about what PSU-DSL is doing right now.

One catch-phrase that you might hear pretty often at ASW or orientation is that it won't be unlikely for you to have a job interview with a panel with at least one PSU or DSL graduate. Anecdotally, the small law firm (~20 attorneys) in Eastern North Carolina where I worked before I even considered Penn State had a Penn State (undergrad) alum.

charlesjd

Bronze

Post by charlesjd » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:14 am

SoxyPirate wrote:
charlesjd wrote:I have noticed it places well in the South Atlantic and Mid-Atlantic. Does Penn State have a reputation outside of those regions such as in the ENC??

I'm not sure what the ENC is, because to me it means Eastern North Carolina (where I'm from). The reputation in Eastern NC is roughly the same as it would be anywhere else: "Oh, Penn State...that's a good school." What's going to matter outside of the South Atlantic and Mid-Atlantic are your connections and/or your ability to distinguish yourself.

Penn State has one of the largest alumni networks in the United States, and Dickinson is one of the oldest law schools in the country. More importantly, Penn state grads are more fanatical about being Penn State grads than just about any other group I've ever known. Penn State grads who went to law school elsewhere are still die-hard about their alma mater. There's a reason Penn State has had the money/resources to build two state of the art facilities in the past couple of years. Penn State alums (both the undergrads who went to law school elsewhere and the Dickinson School of Law grads) are thrilled as they can be about what PSU-DSL is doing right now.

One catch-phrase that you might hear pretty often at ASW or orientation is that it won't be unlikely for you to have a job interview with a panel with at least one PSU or DSL graduate. Anecdotally, the small law firm (~20 attorneys) in Eastern North Carolina where I worked before I even considered Penn State had a Penn State (undergrad) alum.
Thanks! East North Central (midwest region). I do have connections, but I was wondering if one did not. That sounds great. Penn State is up there for me.

Another question though, how does the split campus work? For instance my high school was split and had fresh and soph at one and jr and sr and the other.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SoxyPirate

Bronze

Post by SoxyPirate » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:24 am

charlesjd wrote:
SoxyPirate wrote:

Thanks! East North Central (midwest region). I do have connections, but I was wondering if one did not. That sounds great. Penn State is up there for me.

Another question though, how does the split campus work? For instance my high school was split and had fresh and soph at one and jr and sr and the other.
Imagine it more like your undergrad, where the math/science building was on College Dr. and the Humanities building was on University Ave...

Except now these are two law buildings located 2 hours away instead of 1 block away.

charlesjd

Bronze

Post by charlesjd » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:28 am

SoxyPirate wrote:
charlesjd wrote:
SoxyPirate wrote:

Imagine it more like your undergrad, where the math/science building was on College Dr. and the Humanities building was on University Ave...

Except now these are two law buildings located 2 hours away instead of 1 block away.
What was the reason for this? Wouldn't the school rather have everyone together to have more of a "community" feeling?

SoxyPirate

Bronze

Post by SoxyPirate » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:32 am

charlesjd wrote: What was the reason for this? Wouldn't the school rather have everyone together to have more of a "community" feeling?
Sorry, I wasn't part of that process. From what I understand, when the schools merged, part of the agreement was that the "new" school would maintain a presence in Carlisle.

pantherfan

New

Post by pantherfan » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:36 am

I'm having a real hard time deciding between Pitt and Penn State. I'm in state btw. Pitt gave me 12k a year, and PSU gave me 20K, so the latter would be a bit more expensive in terms of tuition. I know Pitt is better in general for Western PA, but I don't know yet where I want to live. Probably, stay in the state, but who knows where. I am interested in government work. Do you think the proximity to Harrisburg should outweigh the friends and family in the Pittsburgh region I possess (I know this is subjective, I was just curious for your opinion)? Thanks.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”