Drake or Hamline? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
citrus2010

New

Drake or Hamline?

Post by citrus2010 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:58 am

Drake (Des Moines, IA) 3T

Hamline (Minneapolis, MN) 4T

PLEASE GIVE YOUR REASONS.

darknightbegins

Silver

Re: Drake or Hamline?

Post by darknightbegins » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:53 am

Fuck...are these seriously your only options? What is the price for these schools? Do you favor one area over the other?

db004

New

Post by db004 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:46 pm

Eazy E

New

Post by Eazy E » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:46 pm

As a Des Moines native, I can say that a whole lot of lawyers/judges/politicians have put their Drake degrees to good use. Many of the movers and shakers in Iowa are Drake grads.

So if you want to live in Iowa (I think it's a very nice place, despite the weather and small size), it's not a bad option, IMO. The low cost of living helps offset the debt, too.

But at the end of the day, Drake, like any law school, is a risk. It's not a degree that has any clout outside of Iowa and there aren't any huge legal markets in the state.

Tuski

New

Post by Tuski » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:51 pm

Eazy E wrote:As a Des Moines native, I can say that a whole lot of lawyers/judges/politicians have put their Drake degrees to good use. Many of the movers and shakers in Iowa are Drake grads.

So if you want to live in Iowa (I think it's a very nice place, despite the weather and small size), it's not a bad option, IMO. The low cost of living helps offset the debt, too.

But at the end of the day, Drake, like any law school, is a risk. It's not a degree that has any clout outside of Iowa and there aren't any huge legal markets in the state.
+1. I've lived in Des Moines for some time, too, and I agree with everything the above poster says about Drake & Iowa in general. Don't know anything about Hamline.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”