Worst Law School in Florida? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Worst law school in Florida

St. Thomas
13%
Florida Coastal
50%
FAMU
38%

Total votes: 56

DSC

New

Worst Law School in Florida?

Post by DSC » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:21 pm

It seems that there are four respectable schools (FSU, UF, Miami, and Stetson) and then a huge gap until the next group of schools within the state of Florida. I have been around the legal community for 10 plus years and I have yet to meet an alum from St. Thomas, Florida Coastal, or FAMU.

My rankings are: FSU, UF, Miami, Stetson.......FIU(cheap tuition), Nova, Barry, St. Thomas, Florida Coastal, and FAMU.

Is there really a difference between St. Thomas, Florida Coastal, and FAMU? Are they the three worst law schools in the country?

Waggly Toast

New

Re: Worst Law School in Florida?

Post by Waggly Toast » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:10 pm

I can assure you that they are not the three worst law schools in the country. There are many schools that are not accredited by ABA and others that offer on-line JD degrees. Those, in my opinion, are the worst.

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:17 pm

Waggly Toast wrote:I can assure you that they are not the three worst law schools in the country. There are many schools that are not accredited by ABA and others that offer on-line JD degrees. Those, in my opinion, are the worst.
I agree. They aren't the worst in the country by any means. But OP was inquiring about the "worst" (perhaps I should say "weakest") in Florida. And I don't really have an answer. What even is FAMU? I haven't heard of that one.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:22 pm

DSC wrote:It seems that there are four respectable schools (FSU, UF, Miami, and Stetson) and then a huge gap until the next group of schools within the state of Florida. I have been around the legal community for 10 plus years and I have yet to meet an alum from St. Thomas, Florida Coastal, or FAMU.

My rankings are: FSU, UF, Miami, Stetson.......FIU(cheap tuition), Nova, Barry, St. Thomas, Florida Coastal, and FAMU.

Is there really a difference between St. Thomas, Florida Coastal, and FAMU? Are they the three worst law schools in the country?
Well for FL the three best look like UF=UM>FSU. But UF's lower tuition gives it the advantage over UM.

I know nothing of St. Thomas. Isn't there a St. Thomas in Minnesota?

Florida Coastal's habit of offering scholarships to students that haven't applied there has given the school an almost laughable reputation among 0L's and 1L's.

FAMU is a place for URM's that don't know better (46% of the school population) and ORM's that fail at life (30% of the population).

As far as worst in the country goes, it depends on what qualities would make a school "worse" than others.

(i.e. medians, cost/benefit, placement in general, peer review, judge/lawyer, etc. etc.)

[although I'm pretty sure Cooley would be among the worst though]

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”