SLS 2L Taking Q's Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Fair_Balanced

New

SLS 2L Taking Q's

Post by Fair_Balanced » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:11 am

Shoot

parker09

Bronze

Re: SLS 2L Taking Q's

Post by parker09 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:46 am

Fair_Balanced wrote:Shoot
Haven't gotten in yet (and probably won't), but...

What other schools were you choosing between, why did you end up picking SLS, and have those initial expectations been accurate/wrong/met/exceeded?

On TLS, HYS tend to be viewed as relatively safe from job market issues and put sort of on this "I wouldn't pay sticker for any other schools in this economy" pedestal. Have you found this to be the case at Stanford? How are you/your friends/your classmates/random strangers you've only heard about anecdotally doing?

Munger looks amazing. Is it amazing?

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:51 am

How do you like Boston?

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:56 am

Why would you choose Stanford, at #18, over Cooley, at #12?

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:10 am

--ImageRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Fair_Balanced

New

Post by Fair_Balanced » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:21 am

parker09 wrote:
Fair_Balanced wrote:Shoot
Haven't gotten in yet (and probably won't), but...

What other schools were you choosing between, why did you end up picking SLS, and have those initial expectations been accurate/wrong/met/exceeded?

On TLS, HYS tend to be viewed as relatively safe from job market issues and put sort of on this "I wouldn't pay sticker for any other schools in this economy" pedestal. Have you found this to be the case at Stanford? How are you/your friends/your classmates/random strangers you've only heard about anecdotally doing?

Munger looks amazing. Is it amazing?

I didn't get into Yale, but I picked SLS over everything else.

I picked SLS for (1) geographical/family reasons, (2) vibe reasons, (3) and its size. Obviously the geography delivered. The vibe was also right but I have learned that the classes at SLS are distinct in terms of culture. I consider my class to be stereotypical SLS (laid back, noncompetitive, etc.), but most people agree that some years were known for being hypercompetitive and gunnerish. Some people have characterized the current 3L class that way, though I disagree, and I've spoken to a few alums who did not find their classmates to be particularly charming and laid back. But like I said, my class is great.

The size issue connects to your question about the job market. They haven't released employment data for our class, but I sense there are still some folks looking. I saw some 2Ls in suits at Spring OCI which is normally unheard of. But that's mostly rumor and gossip, while every single friend/acquaintance of mine had multiple offers. Most are doing firms, but we have a small but intense cadre of public interest and international folks as well. I think the small size is a huge advantage in terms of both culture and job searching. Most organizations would love to have at least one token SLS grad, and there is a real diversity of career interests among the class at Stanford. I found that I was rarely competing with more than a handful of classmates for the same employer, and most were happy to give out offers to most/all of us. I think the key this year was being realistic about your transcript and the employers you were interviewing with. My impression is that you can get straight P's at SLS and still get a job without too much trouble as long as your are smart about your job search. By the way, I don't recommend getting all P's.

I don't find the "sticker" debate to be too useful in the abstract. It depends a lot on what you want to do with your degree, your personal financial situation, and your personality. I'm paying full boat for SLS, and I don't regret it.

Munger is nice for college dorms. Like anything else, it can be overhyped, but it's certainly nice.

hshee2010

New

Post by hshee2010 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:46 am

Hello!

I want to apply to SLS next year and I was wondering if I could get some advice on my PS? I can PM it to you if you have time. If you're busy, I understand. But I really don't have any guidance (first in the family to attend college and hopefully law school).

I have a lot of ECs, and a 3.9+ GPA. I'm retaking my LSAT but I want some advice on the application process.

Thank you!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”