ASW's importance Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lawbull335

New

ASW's importance

Post by lawbull335 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:29 pm

How important are/were ASWs in making your decision? I definitely want to visit all of my top choices before making a decision, and I definitely want to attend these events, but some conflict and I'm still in school...

And another thing: if I did one of those single day visit thing, where I ask someone from the school to show me around, would that provide good info about the school and what I can realistically expect? or should I try to make it to those events?

I'm specifically talking about Chicago, Columbia, and NYU, but other comments/thoughts are appreciated

OGR3

Silver

Re: ASW's importance

Post by OGR3 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:35 pm

Because of time and money concerns, I'm trying to get all my visits out of the way at the same time. I live on the west coast but want to go to school in the northeast, so I'll be flying over in March for a week. I'll visit 2 schools during their open houses and between 4 and 5 others on my own. I'm not too worried about not being at the open houses for other schools, anything is better than how I chose my UG (never visited before I sent my deposit). Luckily it worked out for me, but I'm not making the same mistake twice.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:58 am

I am a firm believer in the ASW events. Attending them was the cementing factor in my decision about where to go. Plus, they will usually pay for you to fly out there so it is a cheaper option for visiting the schools then flying out yourself.

mwazaumoja

New

Post by mwazaumoja » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:17 pm

Columbia and NYU hold their ASWs generally over the same weekend.

I'd say a good amount of people made their choice between the two that weekend. There is certainly a culture about each law school that can't be adequately explained unless you meet the people who go to the law school, and the people who may one day be your fellow 1Ls. .

I can't recommend going enough.

The free alcohol helps too.

democrattotheend

Bronze

Post by democrattotheend » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:36 pm

mwazaumoja wrote:Columbia and NYU hold their ASWs generally over the same weekend.

I'd say a good amount of people made their choice between the two that weekend. There is certainly a culture about each law school that can't be adequately explained unless you meet the people who go to the law school, and the people who may one day be your fellow 1Ls. .

Really? Are they the same days? If so, how can you attend both?

I was going to go to the NYU one on March 4-5, but maybe I should hold off for a later one, since I have not yet received a decision from Columbia and don't expect to for a while (I was surprised at how fast NYU responded).

mwazaumoja

New

Post by mwazaumoja » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:38 am

democrattotheend wrote:
mwazaumoja wrote:Columbia and NYU hold their ASWs generally over the same weekend.

Really? Are they the same days? If so, how can you attend both?

I was going to go to the NYU one on March 4-5, but maybe I should hold off for a later one, since I have not yet received a decision from Columbia and don't expect to for a while (I was surprised at how fast NYU responded).
I think the way it worked last year was that Wednesday and Thursday were Columbia, and Thursday and Friday were NYU. They did it so all the left-coasters could visit the two together. The schools are fairly close together (don't let the 110 blocks fool you).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”