Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
chandhi

Gold

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Post by chandhi » Thu May 11, 2017 6:51 pm

Li'l Sebastian wrote:Everybody Apply for the MAP program btw!
Do you have any tips on applying for MAP? Not really sure how long to make my responses on the app. The app is four prompts with boxes to fill in about reasons for applying, diverse viewpoint, diverse experiences, and growth areas. I'm tentatively thinking about five sentences per prompt.

Thanks for the heads up by the way, I'm really stoked about the program!

gsy987

Bronze

Post by gsy987 » Thu May 11, 2017 10:01 pm

chandhi wrote:
Do you have any tips on applying for MAP? Not really sure how long to make my responses on the app. The app is four prompts with boxes to fill in about reasons for applying, diverse viewpoint, diverse experiences, and growth areas. I'm tentatively thinking about five sentences per prompt.

That's fine. I did MAP last year, and that's all I remember filling out.

People can correct me on this...but I'm not sure MAP actually rejected anyone.

strawberrieee

Bronze

Post by strawberrieee » Fri May 12, 2017 10:59 pm

gsy987 wrote:
chandhi wrote:

I don't know if MAP actually rejected anyone, but most people don't apply to MAP to begin with. Summer time before law school is just too valuable. :lol:

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Sun May 14, 2017 1:57 pm

strawberrieee wrote:
gsy987 wrote:
chandhi wrote:

I don't know if MAP actually rejected anyone, but most people don't apply to MAP to begin with. Summer time before law school is just too valuable. :lol:
Thanks so much! This is helpful and encouraging :)

at593

New

Post by at593 » Sun May 14, 2017 10:08 pm

chandhi wrote:
strawberrieee wrote:
gsy987 wrote:
chandhi wrote:

Thanks so much! This is helpful and encouraging :)
I'm looking for the MAP program application/deadline info and can't find anything so far.. do I have to email lawstudentlife@umich.edu to get it?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Sun May 14, 2017 10:39 pm

at593 wrote: I'm looking for the MAP program application/deadline info and can't find anything so far.. do I have to email lawstudentlife@umich.edu to get it?
I got an email last week from Darren Nealy but it went to my promotions so check there! The email says if you have any questions, email Trudy Feldkamp at tfeldkam@umich.edu. Hope this helps!

at593

New

Post by at593 » Sun May 14, 2017 10:59 pm

chandhi wrote:
at593 wrote: I'm looking for the MAP program application/deadline info and can't find anything so far.. do I have to email lawstudentlife@umich.edu to get it?
I got an email last week from Darren Nealy but it went to my promotions so check there! The email says if you have any questions, email Trudy Feldkamp at tfeldkam@umich.edu. Hope this helps!
Ah, I found it!! These emails are all blending together now, haha. Thanks so much! :D

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Mon May 15, 2017 12:43 pm

Anyone have any recommendations for a BLACK hair salon (aka somewhere that does things like sew-ins, crochet braids, braids, etc) and hair store (aka somewhere to buy things like crochet braids hair, weave, kanekalon, etc) in or near AA (or in Detroit)?

deuceindc

Bronze

Post by deuceindc » Mon May 15, 2017 1:36 pm

brinicolec wrote:Anyone have any recommendations for a BLACK hair salon (aka somewhere that does things like sew-ins, crochet braids, braids, etc) and hair store (aka somewhere to buy things like crochet braids hair, weave, kanekalon, etc) in or near AA (or in Detroit)?
If no one here has an answer (and I don't), ask via LawOpen once y'all get access. If y'all haven't heard of it, LawOpen is the all-student email group; it's really useful for getting other students' recommendations and advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:33 am

strawberrieee wrote:
gsy987 wrote:
chandhi wrote:

Just wanted to say thanks for recommending MAP! Final day today and I'm so glad I did it :)

oliveum

New

Post by oliveum » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:08 am

Hi all! Is Planet Rock the closest place to go indoor rock climbing/bouldering around here?

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:09 am

chandhi wrote:
strawberrieee wrote:
gsy987 wrote:
chandhi wrote:

Just wanted to say thanks for recommending MAP! Final day today and I'm so glad I did it :)
Also, people were, in fact, rejected from MAP this year. Well, "waitlisted" but same outcome lol.

Li'l Sebastian

Gold

Post by Li'l Sebastian » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:39 am

brinicolec wrote:
chandhi wrote:
strawberrieee wrote:
gsy987 wrote:
chandhi wrote:

Also, people were, in fact, rejected from MAP this year. Well, "waitlisted" but same outcome lol.
I will gladly take credit for this development.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:06 pm

Li'l Sebastian wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
chandhi wrote:
strawberrieee wrote:
gsy987 wrote:
chandhi wrote:

I will gladly take credit for this development.
Yeah, 10/10 recommend MAP lol

WilliamFaulkner

New

Post by WilliamFaulkner » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:40 am

Applicant here --

How many of y'all did not submit three letters of recs? Michigan encourages applicants to send three, but I wonder if two would suffice. I have two Professors writing letters, and I'd hate to ask my current boss of two years for a letter because that would make things *awkward*.

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:11 pm

WilliamFaulkner wrote:Applicant here --

How many of y'all did not submit three letters of recs? Michigan encourages applicants to send three, but I wonder if two would suffice. I have two Professors writing letters, and I'd hate to ask my current boss of two years for a letter because that would make things *awkward*.
I only submitted two. I applied 5 years ago though so I don't remember if they encouraged three back then or not.
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:24 pm

1L here. Just did two LoRs, both from professors. Did not ask my employer of one year for a LoR. Best of luck!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

WilliamFaulkner

New

Post by WilliamFaulkner » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:32 pm

Thank you good people. Enjoy some Zingerman's for me. Hope to be with y'all soon.

UghNonAmus

New

Post by UghNonAmus » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:11 pm

Also only submitted two, both from employer since I was out of school for a while. Ultimately nobody cares about LOR's, just LSAT/GPA. You'll be fine. Go Blue.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:48 pm

chandhi wrote:

1L here. Just did two LoRs, both from professors. Did not ask my employer of one year for a LoR. Best of luck!
Same.

littlelibertine

Bronze

Post by littlelibertine » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:50 am

So . . . I haven't gotten my acceptance (yet, hopefully), but I'm already looking at housing in the area. I understand from friends who've lived in A2 that we'll need to loock down housing ASAP after admission.

Two questions:

1. What website do people in A2 use for housing? Hotpads? Padmapper? Trulia? Something else?

2. Where's good for living? My husband and I are both 30 and we would like to live near other older law students if possible, but if not, *away* from undergrads would be fine. We're old farts and we sleep early. ;)

Thank you guys so much!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NavyNuke

Bronze

Post by NavyNuke » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:32 pm

Last edited by NavyNuke on Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Li'l Sebastian

Gold

Post by Li'l Sebastian » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:47 pm

I only submitted two but still got a full ride. Just make sure those two are GOOD letters.

pbsdotcom

New

Post by pbsdotcom » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:32 pm

Hi all, just got accepted! Super excited. Anyone here who deferred a year? if so, did they let you roll over any scholrship you were offered? Thanks!!

Edit: another question, is it necessary or even preferable to have a car at mich? Or can one go the three years without it? Thanks!

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:07 pm

pbsdotcom wrote:Hi all, just got accepted! Super excited. Anyone here who deferred a year? if so, did they let you roll over any scholrship you were offered? Thanks!!

Edit: another question, is it necessary or even preferable to have a car at mich? Or can one go the three years without it? Thanks!
Don't know the answer to your first question but...

I like having my car, but I also don't like having to catch a ride and when it comes to carpooling, I prefer to be the driver, not the passenger. I think it's doable to go three years w/o a car though. There's uber and lyft here and, like I said, people carpool a lot. Lawopen (the LS listserv) will have messages of ppl offering/asking for rides to a variety of places (mainly Chicago, Detroit, the airport) and if orgs are doing some sort of outing that's farther away, they usually organize a carpool.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”