Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Tbone17

New

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Post by Tbone17 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:07 pm

Has anyone, or someone they knew, in this forum received Need-Based Aid from Michigan?

Li'l Sebastian

Gold

Post by Li'l Sebastian » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:26 pm

Sarastro wrote:
Li'l Sebastian wrote:
gsy987 wrote:
Agreed. If you live at the LC, a car is actually VERY annoying to have (I have to pay for parking that's almost a mile away.)
How much does that cost? I visited recently and street parking absolutely doesn't seem like an option near campus.
200yr for the Storage Lot.

There is no free option at all. You have to either buy a private spot, or else park in the storage lot. The lots near campus require you to move your car everyday. YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO PARK OVERNIGHT.

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:40 pm

is anyone paying sticker price to attend Michigan? what made you decide that it was worth it? how do you feel about that decision now ?

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:45 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:is anyone paying sticker price to attend Michigan? what made you decide that it was worth it? how do you feel about that decision now ?
+1 I would really like to know the answer to this question. Also, where else did you get in/was it also with no $$?

GFox345

Bronze

Post by GFox345 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:48 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:is anyone paying sticker price to attend Michigan? what made you decide that it was worth it? how do you feel about that decision now ?
I personally am not paying sticker, but I know some people who are. The LRAP program here is solid, but objectively speaking, it is not worth it to attend really ANY law school for sticker price. To Michigan's credit, it has one of the cheapest CoAs in the entire T14, and there are lots of employment opportunities through the law school and University in general that make it feasible to cover your Room & Board out of pocket. It's doable, but even if you're very disciplined you're going to end up graduating with roughly 200k in debt. That's quite a steep hill to climb.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:51 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:is anyone paying sticker price to attend Michigan?
Just under half the class (47.6%) is receiving $10,000 (basically sticker) or less (including sticker). I have the same question as you, though: how many of them are actually debt financing their education?

16to19

Bronze

Post by 16to19 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:12 pm

I'd say part of the Michigan thing is people don't really talk much about what their aid package looks like (do people elsewhere?). You kind of get a sense of which friends are getting loans around dispersal time but no one really talks about it.

To your question: my sense is a decent number, but no clue what that looks like. This is the perfect sort of question for the admissions folks.
guybourdin wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:is anyone paying sticker price to attend Michigan?
Just under half the class (47.6%) is receiving $10,000 (basically sticker) or less (including sticker). I have the same question as you, though: how many of them are actually debt financing their education?

TheodoreKGB

Bronze

Post by TheodoreKGB » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:47 am

Tbone17 wrote:Has anyone, or someone they knew, in this forum received Need-Based Aid from Michigan?
I got about 60k in need-based aid. PM for more info.

dryoasis

New

Post by dryoasis » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:12 pm

Can any current Michigan students or alums talk about being a GSI during law school? I've heard anecdotes that there are opportunities to be a GSI for an undergraduate course in exchange for reduced tuition. Let me know if this is a fantasy or the real deal

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:20 pm

dryoasis wrote:Can any current Michigan students or alums talk about being a GSI during law school? I've heard anecdotes that there are opportunities to be a GSI for an undergraduate course in exchange for reduced tuition. Let me know if this is a fantasy or the real deal
Real deal. I didn't do it but know a lot of people who did during 2L and 3L
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dryoasis

New

Post by dryoasis » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:46 pm

blueapple wrote:
dryoasis wrote:Can any current Michigan students or alums talk about being a GSI during law school? I've heard anecdotes that there are opportunities to be a GSI for an undergraduate course in exchange for reduced tuition. Let me know if this is a fantasy or the real deal
Real deal. I didn't do it but know a lot of people who did during 2L and 3L
Sweet!

nyu2019maybeplease

Bronze

Post by nyu2019maybeplease » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:41 am

Totally doable. I have a friend doing it as a 3L now.

Sarastro

Bronze

Post by Sarastro » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:31 pm

Dumb question, but how does GSI reduced tuition work with scholarships? For example, if you end up with a GSI position that offers 100% tuition, does that just essentially negate any scholarships, or do you get the surplus as cash monies?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

deuceindc

Bronze

Post by deuceindc » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:32 pm

Sarastro wrote:Dumb question, but how does GSI reduced tuition work with scholarships? For example, if you end up with a GSI position that offers 100% tuition, does that just essentially negate any scholarships, or do you get the surplus as cash monies?
Not a dumb question. The school pays you the value of your scholarship, up to $25k/yr (or at least that was the limit last year).

deuceindc

Bronze

Post by deuceindc » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:35 pm

This is real, but the placements can be competitive. I have friends who've done it since 1L, they're busy af but have lots of cash.

strawberrieee

Bronze

Post by strawberrieee » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:18 pm

One guy in my section is currently doing it as an 1L. He doesn't seem to be very busy as the previous post said though.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:28 am

Anyone ITT successfully negotiate their Michigan scholly up from nothing to something slightly acceptable? If so, please PM me!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:46 pm

Can't make ASW so I'm planning an individual visit.

Any classes/professors you all recommend sitting in on?

deuceindc

Bronze

Post by deuceindc » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:12 pm

brinicolec wrote:Can't make ASW so I'm planning an individual visit.

Highlight reel of current course offerings:

R. Primus - Con Law
E. Primus - Crim Pro
Pottow - Bankruptcy
Crane - Antitrust
Herzog - First Amendment
Litman - Copyright

All of those profs are leaders in those fields. But if you only attend one, I'd recommend R. Primus: he's brilliant, he uses the Socratic method well, and it's a 1L course.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:24 pm

deuceindc wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Can't make ASW so I'm planning an individual visit.

Highlight reel of current course offerings:

R. Primus - Con Law
E. Primus - Crim Pro
Pottow - Bankruptcy
Crane - Antitrust
Herzog - First Amendment
Litman - Copyright

All of those profs are leaders in those fields. But if you only attend one, I'd recommend R. Primus: he's brilliant, he uses the Socratic method well, and it's a 1L course.

Perfect, thanks!

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:56 pm

As I mentioned, I'm visiting Michigan individually and have scheduled to meet with someone in the fin aid office (the dean, actually). I plan on meeting with them to discuss cost concerns (I didn't get any money from them)/put a face/voice to my name for when I try to convince them I'm worth the money. Should I bring any scholarship offers I have so far just in case she asks me what other offers I'm considering?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nyu2019maybeplease

Bronze

Post by nyu2019maybeplease » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:20 pm

yes.
brinicolec wrote:As I mentioned, I'm visiting Michigan individually and have scheduled to meet with someone in the fin aid office (the dean, actually). I plan on meeting with them to discuss cost concerns (I didn't get any money from them)/put a face/voice to my name for when I try to convince them I'm worth the money. Should I bring any scholarship offers I have so far just in case she asks me what other offers I'm considering?

ChervonaKatya

Bronze

Post by ChervonaKatya » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:21 pm

brinicolec wrote: Perfect, thanks!
Had Pottow last semester and have R. Primus now. Agree with prioritizing R.Pri. His class is exciting and like riding a roller coaster if you're someone who might be called on and he's an excellent professor all around. I would maybe add Sherman Clark's evidence class as an option. I haven't been in his class, but he ran a mock class for us at ASW and was fantastic and he is a Michigan institution. Also, he's extremely kind and approachable (I ended up talking to him for two hours at an incoming students reception in NYC).

bestwishes

New

Post by bestwishes » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:35 pm

I read that Michigan has made their hard curve easier in recent years. Can anyone share what the grading curve is now?

nyu2019maybeplease

Bronze

Post by nyu2019maybeplease » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:04 pm

As far as I'm aware, data regarding our grading scheme is not intended to be publicized. That said, I do not feel hard done by our curve, and understand it to be in line with those at other T-14 schools.
bestwishes wrote:I read that Michigan has made their hard curve easier in recent years. Can anyone share what the grading curve is now?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”