Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Aeon

Silver

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Post by Aeon » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:49 am

Tiddlywinks wrote:Any idea of the difficulty of returning to Ohio from Michigan? I saw on the OCI list that a few firms come from Columbus/Cleveland which seems like a good starting point. I read somewhere in an old post on the fourm that some Ohio firms look poorly on Michigan grads since the whole OSU - Mich riviarly. I'm hoping they were just talking out their butt and it's not really a factor. Down to choosing Mich vs Cornell and just trying to make sure Mich is the right choice for me. Thanks in advance!
If you have a good sense of humor about the Michigan-Ohio rivalry, it shouldn't be a problem, especially if you have ties to Ohio. There are plenty of Michigan grads in the state. Just don't advertise it too loudly around game day. :lol:

gazorpazorp

Bronze

Post by gazorpazorp » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:47 pm

Last edited by gazorpazorp on Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matterhorn

New

Post by matterhorn » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:38 pm

Aeon wrote:Not a bad idea, plenty of people had cars. Michigan is car-friendly, and it helps that Ann Arbor is pretty spread out. There are numerous on-campus parking options: https://pts.umich.edu/parking/students.php. As a graduate student, you're entitled to purchase a Yellow parking permit, which gives access to lots that are close to the law school, and if you need to keep a car there full-time, you can tack on an After Hours permit.

For off-campus, a lot depends on your apartment. If you're very close to campus, there may be limited parking spots at your apartment or on the street or relatively high fees, but if you're living further out, then parking is plentiful and often free.
Thanks for the response! That's what I heard but the admitted students website mentions multiple times that most students don't have cars and that parking is difficult or impossible to find. I guess they have some reason to discourage students from bringing cars.

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:57 pm

gazorpazorp wrote:Thank you!
My pleasure!

matterhorn wrote:
Aeon wrote:Not a bad idea, plenty of people had cars. Michigan is car-friendly, and it helps that Ann Arbor is pretty spread out. There are numerous on-campus parking options: https://pts.umich.edu/parking/students.php. As a graduate student, you're entitled to purchase a Yellow parking permit, which gives access to lots that are close to the law school, and if you need to keep a car there full-time, you can tack on an After Hours permit.

For off-campus, a lot depends on your apartment. If you're very close to campus, there may be limited parking spots at your apartment or on the street or relatively high fees, but if you're living further out, then parking is plentiful and often free.
Thanks for the response! That's what I heard but the admitted students website mentions multiple times that most students don't have cars and that parking is difficult or impossible to find. I guess they have some reason to discourage students from bringing cars.
Parking is hard to find in the immediate vicinity of the law school. There is some metered street parking right next to it, but naturally that option is not realistic for keeping a car long-term. There is residential street parking a little farther away, but it's in very high demand. The closest Yellow parking lots are about 5-10 minutes away by foot.

If you live off-campus, you could just keep your car at your apartment and take a bus to the school -- Ann Arbor has a very good bus system. Alternatively, there are commuter lots around town (http://www.theride.org/services/commute ... /park-ride) with good, regular bus service up to the school, if your apartment won't be close to a bus route.

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:30 pm

It's pretty easy to find a parking spot through the law school listserve. People have spots at their houses or apartments that they don't use and rent them out.
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

aladdinismyprince

New

Post by aladdinismyprince » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:17 am

Aeon wrote:
matterhorn wrote:Will most likely be attending Michigan in the fall and had a few questions about parking. Would bringing a car be a bad idea? How's the parking situation both on campus and off (do most apartments come with a parking space)? Thanks in advance!
Not a bad idea, plenty of people had cars. Michigan is car-friendly, and it helps that Ann Arbor is pretty spread out. There are numerous on-campus parking options: https://pts.umich.edu/parking/students.php. As a graduate student, you're entitled to purchase a Yellow parking permit, which gives access to lots that are close to the law school, and if you need to keep a car there full-time, you can tack on an After Hours permit.

Yes, parking is plentiful (and usually free) as long as you go a little bit away from campus. I never lived right on campus, but I would suspect that the above poster is correct that parking might more costly if you live close to campus.

In addition to official Michigan parking lots, I would just look on Craigslist for parking. (This is what I did every year.) Many apartment complexes that are right next to the law school or business school sell their available spots for a couple hundred bucks a semester or a year. Some individuals also sell the parking spot that comes with their complex.

matterhorn

New

Post by matterhorn » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:10 am

aladdinismyprince wrote:Yes, parking is plentiful (and usually free) as long as you go a little bit away from campus. I never lived right on campus, but I would suspect that the above poster is correct that parking might more costly if you live close to campus.

In addition to official Michigan parking lots, I would just look on Craigslist for parking. (This is what I did every year.) Many apartment complexes that are right next to the law school or business school sell their available spots for a couple hundred bucks a semester or a year. Some individuals also sell the parking spot that comes with their complex.
Thank you!

mabes

New

Post by mabes » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:39 pm

Anyone know if it's reasonable to live in munger if planning on not being in Ann Arbor for the summer? Can you sublet?

ycai

New

Post by ycai » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:43 pm

mabes wrote:Anyone know if it's reasonable to live in munger if planning on not being in Ann Arbor for the summer? Can you sublet?
"Contracts are generally expected to be on an annual term basis, starting each August and ending in July regardless of actual move-in date. If you foresee that a 12-month commitment to living in munger will not fit with your academic schedule, then applying to live in the Munger Graduate Residences may not be your best option. In order for Munger to truly live into its vision of a thriving transdisciplinary community we believe students should live here for an entire calendar year, and thus students are required to sign 12-month contracts."

This is from Munger's official site. As to subletting, the site has the following:

"Standard with University Policy in all other residences, subletting is not permitted."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gazorpazorp

Bronze

Post by gazorpazorp » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:17 am

I feel like it might be pretty late in the game to send in a Lawyer's Club application, is it not?

Any insights into whether living in the LC is "worth it?" Does the meal plan + the convenience of proximity make up for the relatively-high cost in comparison to other housing options? I'm a bit concerned about a) not having a kitchen, and b) being given one of the "shared bathrooms".

If I apply now and get a spot, but then decide I don't want to live in the LC, can I easily withdraw from the applicant pool or is it frowned upon to send an application when you aren't 100% sure you want to live there?

Also - weird question - as far as the food goes, how tolerable is the menu for someone who doesn't do carbs (potatoes, sugar, bread, etc)? And how is the food in general?

laliforevar

New

Post by laliforevar » Wed May 04, 2016 11:04 am

gazorpazorp wrote:I feel like it might be pretty late in the game to send in a Lawyer's Club application, is it not?

Any insights into whether living in the LC is "worth it?" Does the meal plan + the convenience of proximity make up for the relatively-high cost in comparison to other housing options? I'm a bit concerned about a) not having a kitchen, and b) being given one of the "shared bathrooms".

If I apply now and get a spot, but then decide I don't want to live in the LC, can I easily withdraw from the applicant pool or is it frowned upon to send an application when you aren't 100% sure you want to live there?

Also - weird question - as far as the food goes, how tolerable is the menu for someone who doesn't do carbs (potatoes, sugar, bread, etc)? And how is the food in general?
0L here - it seemed like a fairly standard small college caf when I visited. not terrible looking and certainly convenient, but not a ton of options. I'm vegan and was basically told that it would be a poor life choice to live in LC - apparently it's tough even for vegetarians.

have you tried reaching out to some of the students listed as housing ambassadors on the admitted students page? I emailed a few and they were all really responsive.

blind squirrel

New

Post by blind squirrel » Tue May 17, 2016 7:08 pm

I posted this in the Class of 2019 thread too but realized this might be a better thread for it. 0L here, I'm planning on living in the LC and bringing a car. Just wondering what people have heard/experienced parking-wise as a 1L. Should I be looking on Craigslist now to see if I can pay someone for a spot, wait to start looking, go through the school, etc...? Any advice would be appreciated.

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Wed May 18, 2016 2:29 pm

blind squirrel wrote:I posted this in the Class of 2019 thread too but realized this might be a better thread for it. 0L here, I'm planning on living in the LC and bringing a car. Just wondering what people have heard/experienced parking-wise as a 1L. Should I be looking on Craigslist now to see if I can pay someone for a spot, wait to start looking, go through the school, etc...? Any advice would be appreciated.
I'd start looking online, as well as into on-campus parking options. The on-campus parking options will probably be a bit further away but less hectic than parking spots closer to campus (if you're really close to campus, there's a decent chance your car might be bumped or otherwise damaged).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

blind squirrel

New

Post by blind squirrel » Wed May 18, 2016 4:18 pm

Aeon wrote:
blind squirrel wrote:I posted this in the Class of 2019 thread too but realized this might be a better thread for it. 0L here, I'm planning on living in the LC and bringing a car. Just wondering what people have heard/experienced parking-wise as a 1L. Should I be looking on Craigslist now to see if I can pay someone for a spot, wait to start looking, go through the school, etc...? Any advice would be appreciated.
I'd start looking online, as well as into on-campus parking options. The on-campus parking options will probably be a bit further away but less hectic than parking spots closer to campus (if you're really close to campus, there's a decent chance your car might be bumped or otherwise damaged).

Thanks Aeon! I looked through the website for campus parking and will give them a call about it. There were some things on the website, like moving it on game days and not being able to leave it in some spots overnight for more than two days, that gave me pause but it is worth following up. If I were to start looking online, any idea what an appropriate going rate would be for private spots at apartments and such?

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Wed May 18, 2016 5:22 pm

If you wait until you have access to the law school listserv, people buy/sell spots on there all the time. You shouldn't have a problem finding one at someone's house or apartment building nearby!
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Thu May 19, 2016 12:37 am

blind squirrel wrote:
Aeon wrote:

Thanks Aeon! I looked through the website for campus parking and will give them a call about it. There were some things on the website, like moving it on game days and not being able to leave it in some spots overnight for more than two days, that gave me pause but it is worth following up. If I were to start looking online, any idea what an appropriate going rate would be for private spots at apartments and such?
I think I've seen around $50 per month, although spots very close to campus can run higher.

blind squirrel

New

Post by blind squirrel » Thu May 19, 2016 8:25 am

blueapple wrote:
If you wait until you have access to the law school listserv, people buy/sell spots on there all the time. You shouldn't have a problem finding one at someone's house or apartment building nearby!
Awesome! Once I get on the listserv I'll put some feelers out and see if there are any spots then. Thanks so much Blueapple, this is a big help!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

blind squirrel

New

Post by blind squirrel » Thu May 19, 2016 8:26 am

Aeon wrote:
blind squirrel wrote:
Aeon wrote:

I think I've seen around $50 per month, although spots very close to campus can run higher.
Perfect, thanks Aeon! I'll keep that in mind when I start looking around for spots. I appreciate you helping me out :D

LeeAllen

Bronze

Post by LeeAllen » Tue May 24, 2016 11:01 am

blind squirrel wrote:
blueapple wrote:
Awesome! Once I get on the listserv I'll put some feelers out and see if there are any spots then. Thanks so much Blueapple, this is a big help!
If you are ok being a little more flexible, you can park about a ten minute walk from campus for free in residential areas. You just need to be willing to drive around a little bit looking for a spot. I did that this past year and it worked just fine for me, and it saved a lot of $$.

gsy987

Bronze

Post by gsy987 » Fri May 27, 2016 11:50 am

So us 0L's just got an email about the MAP pre-orientation week.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it worth doing?

gazorpazorp

Bronze

Post by gazorpazorp » Sat May 28, 2016 1:50 pm

Last edited by gazorpazorp on Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

blind squirrel

New

Post by blind squirrel » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:39 pm

LeeAllen wrote:
blind squirrel wrote:
blueapple wrote:
If you are ok being a little more flexible, you can park about a ten minute walk from campus for free in residential areas. You just need to be willing to drive around a little bit looking for a spot. I did that this past year and it worked just fine for me, and it saved a lot of $$.
Hey LeeAllen, sorry for the delay. Thanks a lot of the advice. That's what I did during undergrad so I am glad to hear it is a potential option in AA too. Are the residential areas busy, have narrow streets, etc...? I'm just wondering if you ever worried about your car getting bumped/scratched or if it did ever happen to you.

mabes

New

Post by mabes » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:56 pm

anyone have insight into the "Summer Networking Receptions" ?

LeeAllen

Bronze

Post by LeeAllen » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:53 am

blind squirrel wrote:
LeeAllen wrote:
blind squirrel wrote:
blueapple wrote:
Hey LeeAllen, sorry for the delay. Thanks a lot of the advice. That's what I did during undergrad so I am glad to hear it is a potential option in AA too. Are the residential areas busy, have narrow streets, etc...? I'm just wondering if you ever worried about your car getting bumped/scratched or if it did ever happen to you.
Nah, my car was fine. I might be a bit more worried if I had a nicer car, but I've just got an old honda civic. The residential areas can be pretty crowded, especially when there's football/basketball/hockey games going on. So there will be times where it will be hard to find parking.

GFox345

Bronze

Post by GFox345 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:53 pm

Hey, guys! Does anyone have outlines for Clark's Torts class or Cooper's Civ Pro? I would be forever indebted to you if you could pass them on!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”