washington university in st louis 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
wustl1l

New

washington university in st louis 1L taking questions

Post by wustl1l » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:34 am

anyone have questions for a WUSTL 1L?

Xiaolong

Bronze

Re: washington university in st louis 1L taking questions

Post by Xiaolong » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:37 am

Yes!

Why did you choose WUSTL instead of another school?

How is life in St. Louis? COL?

How ist WUSTL dealing with the economy and how has hiring been recently? What do people do below the median?

Do you feel that the school is up and coming?

wustl1l

New

Post by wustl1l » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:44 am

Well, I choose WUSTL mostly for the scholarship money (it seems like they're pretty generous), but it really is an awesome campus and a very cooperative environment. I can't speak to other law school environments, but this one is very relaxed/helpful.. and hey the free friday happy hours don't hurt either.

COL seems very reasonable, lots of affordable housing around the campus... some crime/break ins etc. depending on where you live but overall not expensive and everything is pretty close. Lots of cool places to go and a lot of school sponsored events/bar reviews etc. at the start of the year to make it really easy to meet people.

Obviously hiring is down, but the CSO here seems really aggressive and very helpful. From what I hear people below the mean/median are either seeking jobs through personal connections or are taking advantage of the stipend program WUSTL offers for summer jobs... it offers like $3000 for 10 weeks with an NGO or government office... We are just now getting into on campus interviews and hiring so I can't really offer a better answer at this point.

I actually do feel that it is upcoming. The CSO seems really intent on giving it a more national appeal, and Dean Sveryund (in between teaching civil procedure) seems amazing. Obviously it isn't a top 14 school, but I'm really happy with my decision.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:47 am

Will I get in? :D

wustl1l

New

Post by wustl1l » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:50 am

haha depends on the stats... WUSTL really seems to take a lot of splitters

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

monkey85

Bronze

Post by monkey85 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:54 am

While this might seem obvious to others...if we want to seek employment on the East Coast, should we look more strongly towards other east coast focused schools (BU/BC/Fordham/GW)?

I just want a real opinion from someone at the school. Thanks.

wustl1l

New

Post by wustl1l » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:57 am

I think it depends on the east coast school, but probably yes. WUSTL is strongest in the midwest, but it does seem to have inroads into the east and it's probably entirely possible to work there after graduation. I would not recommend coming here if you intended to work west coast, as there does not seem to be hardly any connection there at all, but east coast is possible.

turkishangora

Bronze

Post by turkishangora » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:04 am

Thanks for taking questions!!

Can you comment on the Transnational Law program?

wustl1l

New

Post by wustl1l » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:06 am

I cannot. no experience with it, sorry. At this point as a 1L I can speak intelligently on classes/tests/environment/st louis, etc. and can answer some questions on job prospects and admissions based on what I've heard from people, but not really involved in special programs to this point.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:07 am

I've heard that summertime in St. Louis is hella oppressive ... as in, hot as fire and humid as a sauna. True?

Any organized law school trips to Busch Stadium for the Cards, or to see the Blues play?

Shuffle

New

Post by Shuffle » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:28 pm

FunkyJD wrote:I've heard that summertime in St. Louis is hella oppressive ... as in, hot as fire and humid as a sauna. True?

Any organized law school trips to Busch Stadium for the Cards, or to see the Blues play?
I can tag in real quick.

True. Summertime in StL can be particularly hot and humid at times. However, I'm used to being further north so I might be a little biased.

As for school trips, nothing's really organized per se, but sometimes schoolwide emails go out suggesting that students hit up an upcoming game.

fancifulthings

New

Post by fancifulthings » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:24 pm

Do any of the 1Ls from Washington University have jobs lined up for this summer yet? How is that process going?

Are what they say about the small class sizes true?

Any 3Ls to shed light on the hiring situation especially placement on the East Coast?

Also, how is the law school integrated into the University as a whole? I know there is a different campus on the other side of the park for the med school, but is there interaction?

Lonagan

Bronze

Post by Lonagan » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:01 am

What is your biggest frustration or disappointment with the school?

How is St. Louis transit / need for a car?

How politically / intellectually diverse is the student body?

Where would you say people tend to be from? Mostly midwest?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Shuffle

New

Post by Shuffle » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:06 am

Do any of the 1Ls from Washington University have jobs lined up for this summer yet? How is that process going?
Spring OCI is just starting up. Few employers are registered though. Some already have judicial clerkships lined up, but I believe most are still networking/figuring things out.
Are what they say about the small class sizes true?
I don't know, what do they say? We have two large substantive classes (~100), one smallish substantive class (~33), and two smallish practical courses.
Also, how is the law school integrated into the University as a whole? I know there is a different campus on the other side of the park for the med school, but is there interaction?
What you mean by interaction with the med school? The main Danforth campus is a giant rectangle with the law school on one corner. Geographically, it's very close with undergraduate facilities, however the law school itself is socially very, very isolated.

luckyjd

Bronze

Post by luckyjd » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:15 am

Do you like it? Why? What is your greatest annoyance with the school?

Was it your top choice? Are you planning on staying in St. Louis? How's placement for Chicago?

What is St. Louis like? Do you ever go to Chicago? (Sorry I'm from Chicago, so lots of Chicago-related questions).

What is the student body like? (undergraduate-esque or more mature/professional?)

Favorite professor? (I've heard that some good profs have left the school recently...)

That's all for now. Thanks!

Shuffle

New

Post by Shuffle » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:17 am

What is your biggest frustration or disappointment with the school?
Some of the staff/faculty are simply not very professional or helpful. Don't get me wrong, the majority are excellent, but there are a few bad apples that really, really...Anyway.
How is St. Louis transit / need for a car?
It really depends on where you decide to live. There's a bus route and a train that both have stops on or adjacent to campus--so if you don't have a car, plan your living arrangements accordingly.
How politically / intellectually diverse is the student body?
The majority seem to be poli-sci, but there's a good mix of English/science/engineering backgrounds present as well. The political spread doesn't seem to be particularly biased, although I'm fairly neutral so I don't pick up on that kind of thing as much as the next guy.
Where would you say people tend to be from? Mostly midwest?
Quite honestly, pretty much all over.

Shuffle

New

Post by Shuffle » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:35 am

Do you like it? Why? What is your greatest annoyance with the school?
I do like it. The rumor that WUSTL is rife with splitters is true, and it makes for a pretty chill student body with a lot of personality. The building is like-new, clean, and attractive, so it makes spending the majority of my time there as pleasant as it could be I suppose. As for annoyances, besides my aforementioned gripe about some of the staff/faculty, my greatest annoyance would have to be...huh. I don't know. That must just be it.
Was it your top choice? Are you planning on staying in St. Louis? How's placement for Chicago?
Given the prestige-oriented nature of the legal profession, I'm afraid I cannot say WUSTL was my top choice. If given the chance, I'm sure that 99% of law students would go to HYS. I'm planning on letting my career opportunities guide me as to where I wind up. Given the state of the economy and all that garble, being in a non t10 school can be quite limiting. Being a bottom top-20 school has a weird side effect: Local employers are wary of you being a flight risk because of WUSTL's "elite status" and yet on a national/biglaw level, we're a low guy on the totem pole.

As for placement in Chicago, I cannot give you a legitimate opinion. My mentor has an offer lined up in Chicago after he graduates, however his accomplishments in law school are very impressive. Other than that, given the number of law schools in and around Chicago and the saturation of the market, I imagine that it'd be a rough road.
What is St. Louis like? Do you ever go to Chicago? (Sorry I'm from Chicago, so lots of Chicago-related questions).
St. Louis is a mix between a mid sized city and suburbia. There are pockets of good areas and very bad areas scattered throughout. Personally, I like it a lot, but I come from a suburban area so my expectations are admittedly somewhat low. I do go to Chicago every once in a while--I was actually there over break.
What is the student body like? (undergraduate-esque or more mature/professional?)
There's a solid mix. A healthy number of us are several to many years out from undergrad. There are plenty of people who still have the undergrad party your brains out mindset, others don't party at all, others have families, and everything in between. The student body seems to be very accepting, so I wouldn't worry about fitting in somewhere.
Favorite professor? (I've heard that some good profs have left the school recently...)
Hmm. Don't really have one. Law schools profs are an exceptionally eccentric group.
That's all for now. Thanks!
Not at all.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

narkizopoint

Bronze

Post by narkizopoint » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:41 am

Being a bottom top-20 school has a weird side effect: Local employers are wary of you being a flight risk because of WUSTL's "elite status" and yet on a national/biglaw level, we're a low guy on the totem pole.
Didn't think of that particular angle, thanks for pointing that out.

faith2202

New

Post by faith2202 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:46 pm

Thanks for answering our questions!

Did you visit any other law schools? How would you describe WUSTL in comparison?

Also, would it be possible for you to divulge the names of professors you've found difficult so that we may potentially have a heads up for next year? :lol:

Shuffle

New

Post by Shuffle » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:58 am

Did you visit any other law schools? How would you describe WUSTL in comparison?
I did. I mean, they were only the standard visit the campus-sit in on a class-talk to admissions visits, so I can only compare schools superficially. I can say that WUSTL is among the most attractive buildings/campuses I've been to. UCLA and Vanderbilt stick out in my mind in being up there in that regard as well.
Also, would it be possible for you to divulge the names of professors you've found difficult so that we may potentially have a heads up for next year? :lol:
I'd rather not for several reasons: You don't have control over who you have, I'd rather not predispose you to think one way or the other, and some people have differing opinions than I do--so your mileage may vary. I'd suggest you go in head first, sniff out your situation, and adapt accordingly. Just know that there's always SOMETHING you can do about a given situation.

fancifulthings

New

Post by fancifulthings » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:40 pm

What do you feel are some of the stronger concentrations at WUSTL? Does it seem like that the school is trying to expand any part of its curriculum? (ie, international law, tax law, etc)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RayFinkle

Bronze

Post by RayFinkle » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:53 pm

fancifulthings wrote:What do you feel are some of the stronger concentrations at WUSTL? Does it seem like that the school is trying to expand any part of its curriculum? (ie, international law, tax law, etc)
From my research, they have been expanding in employment law and business law in particular. They brought in Marion Crain from UNC (a big name in employment law) and I think a few others for this upcoming year. In the business arena, they brought in Hillary Sale from Iowa in the last year or two. Apparently she is extremely well respected and thought of as a big name and she has been working on integration with the business school over there. Not sure specifics other than that... all I could find when doing my research.

Hope that helps.

avacado

New

Post by avacado » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:18 am

Do you know anyone taking classes part-time at WUSTL? On the website it says that they make exceptions for some students with disabilities or some primary childcare givers... Would you know what their class loads are like per semester and what criteria for selection is like?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”