Tulane Law students? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
FunkyJD

Silver

Tulane Law students?

Post by FunkyJD » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:31 pm

Any Tulane students or alum care to answer questions?

Here's one question: I've read some stories about certain incidents that Tulane law students have been involved in. Apparently there was a ball that got way out of control?

--LinkRemoved--

Also read about students being involved in some incident where they dressed up like Mexicans in an insensitive way. Ouch.

--LinkRemoved--

Are these kinds of incidents the exception or the rule at Tulane? I don't mean to smear an entire student body b/c of the stupid actions of a few, but still ...

How would you define the culture among most of the students at Tulane? Is it an isolated, clicky, party culture? Is there a tension between white students and students of color?

Main reason why I'm asking is b/c I'm concerned about the rep of the school among peers and legal professionals, and the climate there. I don't want people to look at a JD that says Tulane, and think, he was drunk half of his education. Plus I don't want to go to a school where I'm welcomed in on account of merit and diversity, but not really welcome as part of the law school community once they've "got me." Make sense?

Yimbeezy

Bronze

Re: Tulane Law students?

Post by Yimbeezy » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:40 pm

FWIW

FTR, I'm not a Tulane person.

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:40 pm

Yimbeezy wrote:FWIW

FTR, I'm not a Tulane person.
Thanks for the link, but I still wonder to what extent the reality matches the marketing. Every school claims to be a happy, inclusive, productive place on their website.

Can any Tulane xLs comment?

nianlong

New

Post by nianlong » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:13 pm

Are these kinds of incidents the exception or the rule at Tulane? I don't mean to smear an entire student body b/c of the stupid actions of a few, but still ...

How would you define the culture among most of the students at Tulane? Is it an isolated, clicky, party culture? Is there a tension between white students and students of color?

Main reason why I'm asking is b/c I'm concerned about the rep of the school among peers and legal professionals, and the climate there. I don't want people to look at a JD that says Tulane, and think, he was drunk half of his education. Plus I don't want to go to a school where I'm welcomed in on account of merit and diversity, but not really welcome as part of the law school community once they've "got me." Make sense?
The incidents you pointed out are of course an exception. It's not like students at Tulane are just a bunch of party animals that don't take the study of law or their careers seriously. That said, people drawn to New Orleans in general tend to enjoy partying or learn to enjoy it because of the culture of great food, live music and festivals throughout the year. Lots of Tulane Law students enjoy these things, but in no way would you be ostracized if you don't. The student body is not cliquey at all. It's diverse in a lot of ways: racially, politically, through geographic representation, and most people seem to enjoy the diversity. There are lots of organizations on campus that would also allow you to find your niche and give you support. But the best thing about the Tulane student body that I've noticed is how collegial everyone is. As an 0L, you hear stories about how competitive law school can be and how some schools have a cutthroat culture where no one is willing to help each other out. My experience has been the exact opposite here. Though law school is stressful and people certainly care about grades and performance here, students openly talk about study methods, share notes and generally go out of their way to help each other. Maybe this is the case at other schools too and the rumors about students sabotaging each other are unfounded myths, but the student body at Tulane should definitely not reflect negatively on a decision whether to attend.

Not sure what you mean by isolated, but I will say that New Orleans is a great place to meet people in general, so again, you should be able to find your place. This doesn't mean New Orleans is for everybody. It's a very different kind of city, but the people that move here knowing what they're getting tend to love it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”