Davis 3L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Inygma

Silver

Re: Davis 3L taking questions

Post by Inygma » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:00 pm

davis3l wrote:
Inygma wrote:In case you missed my last question (since it is rare that more than 1 question is posted at the same time in this thread)

"Last Apartment questions (hopefully). What's the word on Tanglewood? Looks/sounds nice, but there are a few things I've read that it has a high crime rate. Wondering what you know about it."

HAHAHA crime at Tanglewood? It's a great complex in the nicest part of Davis (South Davis). Maybe there is petty crime, like stealing bikes? Trust me, you will feel very comfortable living anywhere in South Davis
Thanks man, maybe I'll bump into you this weekend (though I'd never know it if I did)

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:24 pm

I'm gonna shamelessly spam my other thread in hopes that I can get some advice from a current King Hall student:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=114144

I'll take any advice that I can get! :idea:

davis3l

New

Post by davis3l » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:59 pm

yo! wrote:I'm gonna shamelessly spam my other thread in hopes that I can get some advice from a current King Hall student:

I'll try to respond in your thread this afternoon. And it won't be ridiculous biased like the UNLV student's response.

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:30 pm

davis3l wrote:
yo! wrote:I'm gonna shamelessly spam my other thread in hopes that I can get some advice from a current King Hall student:

I'll try to respond in your thread this afternoon. And it won't be ridiculous biased like the UNLV student's response.
lol thanks

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:39 pm

My question: how come Davis takes so long to render decisions?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

davis3l

New

Post by davis3l » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:42 pm

bceagles182 wrote:My question: how come Davis takes so long to render decisions?
They don't; 0Ls tend to exaggerate things. I was pissy too when waiting for my decision, but in heinsight I realize they're just like other schools...the borderline applicants that want to get in most are the ones that have to wait the longest.

anxiousaboutschool

New

Post by anxiousaboutschool » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:50 pm

If only there were some objective measurement. Some... national ranking of sorts that could assist, although not necessarily determine...

USNews 2011 rankings:
Davis = 28.
Hastings = 42.

Hhhhhmmmmm.... if only.

Inygma

Silver

Post by Inygma » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:08 pm

anxiousaboutschool wrote:If only there were some objective measurement. Some... national ranking of sorts that could assist, although not necessarily determine...

USNews 2011 rankings:
Davis = 28.
Hastings = 42.

Hhhhhmmmmm.... if only.
:lol: :lol: :lol: +1

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:21 pm

anxiousaboutschool wrote:If only there were some objective measurement. Some... national ranking of sorts that could assist, although not necessarily determine...

USNews 2011 rankings:
Davis = 28.
Hastings = 42.

Hhhhhmmmmm.... if only.
Let's recap:
Peer Assessment - Davis
Lawyer/Judge Assessment - Hastings
GPA 25/75- Hastings
LSAT 25/75- Hastings
Acceptance Rate - Hastings
Student/Faculty Ratio - Davis
Employment at Graduation - Davis
Employment w/in 9 mo. - Davis
Bar Passage Rate - Hastings

Hastings leads the categories 5 to 4. Apparently Davis' "higher than Boalt" employment rate is enough to push them over the top.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

davis3l

New

Post by davis3l » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:28 pm

Dude you've ranted in like 5 threads now. This isn't a Davis v. Hastings thread.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:29 pm

davis3l wrote:Dude you've ranted in like 5 threads now. This isn't a Davis v. Hastings thread.
Someone else raised the issue in this thread. Doesn't matter...pretty soon all UC's will be charging 70k tuition and then we will ALL be where we deserve to be --- TTT

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:18 am

swheat wrote:

USNews 2011 rankings:
Davis = 28.
Hastings = 42.

Hhhhhmmmmm.... if only.
Let's recap:
Peer Assessment - Davis
GPA 25/75- Hastings
LSAT 25/75- Hastings

Hastings leads the categories 5 to 4. Apparently Davis' "higher than Boalt" employment rate is enough to push them over the top.
And Hastings still leads Davis in this year's Helmholtz rankings:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=114501

oopivyoo

New

Post by oopivyoo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:26 am

swheat wrote:
swheat wrote:

USNews 2011 rankings:
Davis = 28.
Hastings = 42.

Hhhhhmmmmm.... if only.
Let's recap:
Peer Assessment - Davis
GPA 25/75- Hastings
LSAT 25/75- Hastings

And Hastings still leads Davis in this year's Helmholtz rankings:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=114501
I think there is enough of a spread between Davis and Hastings now that Hastings needs to start thinking about a new rival... Lets see... Hastings v. Pepperdine? :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:51 am

Davis' 2010 rankings employed at graduation = 97%
Davis' 2009 rankings employed at graduation = 86%
Davis' 2007 rankings employed at graduation = 78%

So as the economy gets worse, DAVIS GETS BETTER

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:58 am

swheat wrote:Davis' 2010 rankings employed at graduation = 97%

Damn swheat, relax a little buddy :wink: I thin the most people know that Davis and Hastings are basically interchangable in NorCal. My point: the rankings aren't worth a shit IMO. This is coming from someone who will probably attend Davis.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:07 am

yo! wrote:
swheat wrote:Davis' 2010 rankings employed at graduation = 97%

Damn swheat, relax a little buddy :wink: I thin the most people know that Davis and Hastings are basically interchangable in NorCal. My point: the rankings aren't worth a shit IMO. This is coming from someone who will probably attend Davis.
Fuck that...It pisses me off that schools will lie and cheat and hurt my long term prospects and investments. If you had just flushed $90k down the toilet to attend a future T2, only to see your other options lie their way to the top, you would be pissed as well.

Oh well, nobody ever said the legal field (or the real world) rewarded honesty.

LvingLegend

New

Post by LvingLegend » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:12 am

Guess what? Davis's bar passage rate next year will be 90% for the USNWR Rankings. So they will be moving on up again.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ozarkhack

Bronze

Post by ozarkhack » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:16 am

davis3l wrote:Dude you've ranted in like 5 threads now. This isn't a Davis v. Hastings thread.
He is, but I don't blame him: He's got a valid point.

You're there. And unless you transferred/my figuring is off, you were 2nd semester 1L during the Great Hiring Spree of 2008.

Is this nearly 100% figure legit? Know of anybody who got shuffled into a lame school gig or some other option that wouldn't pass the smell test? I know things have changed since 2008, but you and your classmates ... are y'all seeing similar results? (For what it's worth, I don't consider all non-BigLaw jobs shit jobs; I'm probably pi/govt track and would probably be fine, initially, landing a PD job in Butt-Piddle County.)

I'm not trying to keep any Hastings/Davis fight going unnecessarily. In fact, this has nothing to do with Hastings. I'm probably 99% Davis-bound and very much looking forward to it. But still, Davis' #s seem mighty dubious.

davis3l

New

Post by davis3l » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:03 pm

?

I don't get why you people insist on posting in this thread. Seriously there are like 15 threads about the rankings or Davis v. Hastings.

If anyone has legitimate questions about Davis, send me a message. I won't be checking this thread as much anymore since it's basically a circle jerk now.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:29 pm

davis3l wrote:?

I don't get why you people insist on posting in this thread. Seriously there are like 15 threads about the rankings or Davis v. Hastings.

If anyone has legitimate questions about Davis, send me a message. I won't be checking this thread as much anymore since it's basically a circle jerk now.
Don't leave...answer the question. How many of last year's grads are now "academic support counselors"? Or could it just be an outright lie?

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:30 pm

QFT, They completely hijacked a thread that was letitimately helpful. Bullshit I say!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ozarkhack

Bronze

Post by ozarkhack » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:40 pm

Whoa! What do you mean you people?!?! ... ... I love Davis. Can't wait to matriculate. I've lurked this thread since it began. My first post ITT just happened to be one in which I reiterated a question first -- and way too repeatedly -- raised by an axe-grinder (with understandable angst).

I don't consider the question out of bounds. Nor do I consider it a Hastings v. Davis thing. I just figured you'd have some light to shed. If you don't, no biggie. If you do and could PM so as to avoid any thread wrasslin' with swheat, that'd be appreciated. Either way, the answer would likely have zero impact on my near-certain enrollment at Davis. Just color me curious.

That concludes my attempted self-defense against allegations of circle-jerking trollism. Now moving on.

PS: Thanks to you (and SBL) for the insight offered so far, ITT and elsewhere.

eth3n

Bronze

Post by eth3n » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:45 pm

LvingLegend wrote:Guess what? Davis's bar passage rate next year will be 90% for the USNWR Rankings. So they will be moving on up again.
Also next year our acceptance rate will be substantially lower, we got 22% more apps than last year, national average was 6.1...not clearly going to be higher than Hastings like the above-mentioned statistic, but something to consider.

articulably suspect

Bronze

Post by articulably suspect » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:33 pm

swheat wrote:

Don't leave...answer the question. How many of last year's grads are now "academic support counselors"? Or could it just be an outright lie?
Swheat-are you seriously that upset with the rankings gap between Davis and Hastings, according to US News? They were peer schools on Monday(pre-leak) and they still are.

articulably suspect

Bronze

Post by articulably suspect » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:48 pm

Davis 3L-

When you say "Try to explain why you would be a good fit for the King Hall community", can you elaborate/clarify? Do you mean discuss what the individual on the waitlist can bring to the school/student body

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”