Davis 3L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Inygma

Silver

Re: Davis 3L taking questions

Post by Inygma » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:56 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
BiteyTLS wrote:
Inygma wrote:Thanks for taking questions, I just visited Davis and can easily see myself there for the next 3 years!

Though OCI was difficult, are people still getting jobs? I mean, though it isn't BigLaw, are students finding something in the meantime, or unemployed.

If you could do it over, would you choose Davis/Hastings ticket or a tier 2 with a large scholarship?

What are some good apartments for law students in the area, aka quiet apartments with not many problems?
Take the Tier 2 with the large scholarship (hope it is close to full). After the initial T25, rankings hardly matter at all. They are merely rearranging schools are factors other than the most important: "will i get a decent job?". I just cannot imagine that 120k of debt is worth the itty-bitty chance that Davis gives you over comparable T2 schools. Besides the fact that the UC system (with the possible exception of the flagship schools UCLA and Cal) is collapsing.

Davis at 35 has always been way over-ranked considering the fact that their employment statistics have always been rather poor. They are a second fiddle to a area fulled with law schools- Stanford, Hastings, Cal- all within 100 miles. Not sure if the festering toilet of McGeorge counts in this listing.
Now here, here's a guy who knows the score.
Duh, an aspiring 0L >>>>>> 1L and 3L.

Too lazy to look, but I bet he posts in the Law School Students forum a bunch saying, "I am not in law school yet, but I know more about this...."

davis3l

New

Post by davis3l » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:55 pm

Ya it really is incredible how much your perspective on schools, rankings, employment prospects changes between 0L and 3L. When I was a 0L, I used to get annoyed with 3Ls who thought they knew everything just because they'd been through a couple years of law school...turns out they really did know way more than me.

Headybrah

Bronze

Post by Headybrah » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:16 pm

how often do people leave davis on weekends?

What is average cost of one bedroom in the area?

Why respond to haters?

Thanks?

davis3l

New

Post by davis3l » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:31 pm

Headybrah wrote:how often do people leave davis on weekends?

Why respond to haters?

Thanks?
1. Weekends - pretty often...most students go to either SF or Tahoe about once a month. People that have family in SF leave almost every weekend.

2. 1 bedrooms - anywhere from $900 to $1050. The higher end ones will be pretty quiet, new-ish looking...almost "luxury" apartments. The cheaper ones aren't ghetto, but they'll have more of a dorm feel (lots of partying, units close together, thin walls).

3. Haters - I didn't think saying "LOL" was much of a response.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:38 pm

davis3l wrote:

Why respond to haters?

Thanks?
1. Weekends - pretty often...most students go to either SF or Tahoe about once a month. People that have family in SF leave almost every weekend.

2. 1 bedrooms - anywhere from $900 to $1050. The higher end ones will be pretty quiet, new-ish looking...almost "luxury" apartments. The cheaper ones aren't ghetto, but they'll have more of a dorm feel (lots of partying, units close together, thin walls).

Also if you're willing to drive in from Sacramento, take about $200/mo. off that rent estimate. Living in remote South Davis even makes things cheaper. I pay just over $1000 for a 2-br.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Inygma

Silver

Post by Inygma » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:37 am

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
davis3l wrote:

Why respond to haters?

Thanks?

Also if you're willing to drive in from Sacramento, take about $200/mo. off that rent estimate. Living in remote South Davis even makes things cheaper. I pay just over $1000 for a 2-br.
This is what attracts me to Davis, my SO and I would love to have a 2-br....factor in a 15-30 min drive to Sacramento for her job and this = win.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:32 pm

Inygma wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:
davis3l wrote:

Why respond to haters?

Thanks?

This is what attracts me to Davis, my SO and I would love to have a 2-br....factor in a 15-30 min drive to Sacramento for her job and this = win.
It's not even 30 minutes unless traffic is a nightmare. Getting from my apt in Davis to my parents' house in Sac generally takes me ~12 minutes.

BiteyTLS

New

Post by BiteyTLS » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:35 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
BiteyTLS wrote:
Inygma wrote:Thanks for taking questions, I just visited Davis and can easily see myself there for the next 3 years!

Though OCI was difficult, are people still getting jobs? I mean, though it isn't BigLaw, are students finding something in the meantime, or unemployed.

If you could do it over, would you choose Davis/Hastings ticket or a tier 2 with a large scholarship?

What are some good apartments for law students in the area, aka quiet apartments with not many problems?
Take the Tier 2 with the large scholarship (hope it is close to full). After the initial T25, rankings hardly matter at all. They are merely rearranging schools are factors other than the most important: "will i get a decent job?". I just cannot imagine that 120k of debt is worth the itty-bitty chance that Davis gives you over comparable T2 schools. Besides the fact that the UC system (with the possible exception of the flagship schools UCLA and Cal) is collapsing.

Davis at 35 has always been way over-ranked considering the fact that their employment statistics have always been rather poor. They are a second fiddle to a area fulled with law schools- Stanford, Hastings, Cal- all within 100 miles. Not sure if the festering toilet of McGeorge counts in this listing.
Now here, here's a guy who knows the score.
Yes, I've only lived in Sacramento/Davis/Bay area for 25 years and have worked at multiple firms as a paralegal. Davis doesn't do that well.

Just ignore my input for some 1L that still enamored with a school until he realizes he has 120k worth of non-dischargable debt.

Also, keep cherry-picking information, prospective students. You are like the folks that attempt to enlist feedback on a product only to go on to ignore all the cautionary tales. Whatever, it's your fate. Davis is not worthwhile unless you have 3/4 or a full ride. The prospects aren't great.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:52 am

So you're a 25 year old paralegal from Sacramento? That's what's supposed to make people believe you when you spout nonsense about "the UC system collapsing"? Cool story bro.

Anyhow, no need for me to further derail a good thread responding to silliness. To make this post on-topic, I will ask the OP a question: Where do you go for good Chinese food in Davis? I have found none.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BiteyTLS

New

Post by BiteyTLS » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:55 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:So you're a 25 year old paralegal from Sacramento? That's what's supposed to make people believe you when you spout nonsense about "the UC system collapsing"? Cool story bro.

Anyhow, no need for me to further derail a good thread responding to silliness. To make this post on-topic, I will ask the OP a question: Where do you go for good Chinese food in Davis? I have found none.
LMAO. You actually deny the fact the California's education system is going to cost increasingly more for increasingly less quality education? It's not going to literally collapse, but it certainly is moving away from its once prestigious nature. The system is reported in "crisis" for a reason. UC Hastings literally has tuition hikes of 10-15 percent a year, an increasing enrollment and less quality classes. Please see this page for the future of your system- http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/r ... y09/j2.pdf. By 2011-2012, prospective students can look forward to 43,000 a year resident tuition (according to Davis stats, cost of attendance would then be 71k a year) and 56,000 dollar a year non-resident tuition (according to davis stats, cost of attendance would then be 84k a year). That is nearly 20 percent increases a year. Tasty. And to imagine you guys prefer to talk about local Chinese food and cool bars.

I just cannot imagine investing hundred of thousands of dollars (in this case 210k of debt) only to enter- this http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la- ... ?track=rss. It's not JDUnderground, it's not autoadmit- the mainstream media is even waking up to the fact the market is drying up. As Loyola2L said "Do not attend [law school] unless: (1) you get into a top 8 law school; (2) you get a full-tuition scholarship to attend; (3) you have employment as an attorney secured through a relative or close friend"

Buyer Beware.

I'm out.

davis3l

New

Post by davis3l » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:18 pm

I haven't had good Chinese food in Davis yet. But supposedly Wok of Flame in South Davis is pretty good.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:16 am

davis3l wrote:I haven't had good Chinese food in Davis yet. But supposedly Wok of Flame in South Davis is pretty good.
That's the only place I've tried so far (unless one counts Panda Express, which one shouldn't). I live by there, so it's convenient to order takeout, but the food is pretty feh for the price. They do give a 10% discount for UCD students though!

Inygma

Silver

Post by Inygma » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:51 pm

Are there many married students? Is there a club or anything for married students?

Do many people take their SO out with their law school buddies?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

davis3l

New

Post by davis3l » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:59 pm

Inygma wrote:Are there many married students? Is there a club or anything for married students?

There are quite a few married students. I can't really put a number on it, but I know at least a handful just in my class. There isn't a club for married students, and they don't necessarily all hang out just with each other.

Sure lots of people take their SO out with law school buddies. Pretty much every circle of friends has at least 1 person who is the SO of a law student.

Inygma

Silver

Post by Inygma » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:27 pm

davis3l wrote:
Inygma wrote:Are there many married students? Is there a club or anything for married students?

There are quite a few married students. I can't really put a number on it, but I know at least a handful just in my class. There isn't a club for married students, and they don't necessarily all hang out just with each other.

Sure lots of people take their SO out with law school buddies. Pretty much every circle of friends has at least 1 person who is the SO of a law student.
Cool, good to know... I was recently married, and moving to a smaller town like Davis, I'd feel bad if my SO couldn't hang out really. Especially since LS will already take away most of my time from her.

Zannie1986

New

Post by Zannie1986 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:14 pm

I'm really interested in the prison law clinical program- it's the field i'm interested in pursuing post-jd. do you think it's possible to do it as a 2L and 3L or would that be pointless/not allowed? Is there a high competition getting into it? could you tell me more about it or refer me to someone who does know more about it?
thank you!

davis3l

New

Post by davis3l » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:27 pm

Zannie1986 wrote:I'm really interested in the prison law clinical program- it's the field i'm interested in pursuing post-jd. do you think it's possible to do it as a 2L and 3L or would that be pointless/not allowed? Is there a high competition getting into it? could you tell me more about it or refer me to someone who does know more about it?
thank you!
Is it possible to do the prison law clinic as a 2L or 3L? You can ONLY do it as a 2L or 3L. You have no say in your 1L schedule...it'll be civil procedure, constitutional law, property, torts, criminal law, contracts, and legal research/writing.

The prison law clinic isn't terribly competitive. We have an immigration law clinic that's extremely competitive. I think anyone who wants to do prison law clinic ends up getting in. Even if you don't get it as a 2L, I'm nearly positive you'll get it as a 3L (because 3Ls have priority on registration).

Based on what I've heard, prison law clinic is awesome if you're interested in public interest or criminal law. You basically get a real life client who is in prison, and work on their representation in some form or another. Some students even get death penalty clients. I believe you meet with your client several times too. I think the overall experience is similar to working for a public defender...except your boss is a professor.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Inygma

Silver

Post by Inygma » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:29 pm

davis3l wrote:
Zannie1986 wrote:I'm really interested in the prison law clinical program- it's the field i'm interested in pursuing post-jd. do you think it's possible to do it as a 2L and 3L or would that be pointless/not allowed? Is there a high competition getting into it? could you tell me more about it or refer me to someone who does know more about it?
thank you!
Is it possible to do the prison law clinic as a 2L or 3L? You can ONLY do it as a 2L or 3L. You have no say in your 1L schedule...it'll be civil procedure, constitutional law, property, torts, criminal law, contracts, and legal research/writing.

The prison law clinic isn't terribly competitive. We have an immigration law clinic that's extremely competitive. I think anyone who wants to do prison law clinic ends up getting in. Even if you don't get it as a 2L, I'm nearly positive you'll get it as a 3L (because 3Ls have priority on registration).

Based on what I've heard, prison law clinic is awesome if you're interested in public interest or criminal law. You basically get a real life client who is in prison, and work on their representation in some form or another. Some students even get death penalty clients. I believe you meet with your client several times too. I think the overall experience is similar to working for a public defender...except your boss is a professor.
How many clinics can one do in their 2L/3L?

Edit: Also, is there a list of clinics available?

davis3l

New

Post by davis3l » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:41 pm

http://www.law.ucdavis.edu/academics-cl ... rview.html

You can take up to 16 credits in pass/fail courses, which is what the clinics are. So in theory, you could take a few credits in each of the four clinics, but I've never heard of anyone doing more than two clinics.

Zannie1986

New

Post by Zannie1986 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:52 pm

davis3l wrote:
thank you!

ah, i didn't mean doing prison clinic 2L or 3L but doing the same clinic both 2L and 3L. does this clinic give students exposure to any nonprofit/legal aid groups that could be helpful in terms of hiring later on?

davis3l

New

Post by davis3l » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:43 pm

Sure you can do the same clinic 2L and 3L.

I don't think prison law clinic is the best for legal aid work, but I could be wrong. It seems like most of the students interested in criminal defense end up doing prison clinic, and students interested in legal aid do immigration or maybe civil rights clinic.

I also don't think you'll make "connections" through the clinic (for job purposes), but it will most certainly help your resume and be a great talking point for interviews.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

soccersmo

New

Post by soccersmo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:14 pm

how is davis's placement in socal??? I like the idea of Davis, but I really want to return to socal to practice...
is that a reasonable expectation?

davis3l

New

Post by davis3l » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:41 pm

soccersmo wrote:how is davis's placement in socal??? I like the idea of Davis, but I really want to return to socal to practice...
is that a reasonable expectation?
It is a very reasonable expectation. Depending on what kind of work you want, if you have the right grades/interview skills/experience, you can go back to SoCal no problem.

Some Hastings students I know seem to think that Hastings places better than Davis in SF, but Davis places better in SoCal. There is of course no real facts to prove this, but it makes SOME sense because Hastings has a huge alum base in SF, and Davis seems to attract lots of "quality of life" type people that like San Diego and OC.

The bottom line is this - if you're trying to work in OC or San Diego, you'll need some kind of "connection" to the area. If you're originally from SoCal or have family there, then problem solved. If you have that connection, Davis being in NorCal becomes a non factor.

You don't need geographic connections to work in LA because people from everywhere try to work there.

All this only applies to firms/OCI. I don't know for sure whether public interest/government employers care about geographic ties. I suspect they do, so SD and OC employers will look for some ties to the area.

Zannie1986

New

Post by Zannie1986 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:52 am

what is sacramento like?

eth3n

Bronze

Post by eth3n » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:11 am

lets just say you wont be heading there on the weekends

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.