Davis 3L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
tommytahoe

Silver

Re: Davis 3L taking questions

Post by tommytahoe » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:18 pm

Also, it should not be more than 15 minutes to ride your bike from that area. For two years I rode my bike to campus, from one mile north of that intersection. Granted, I have a very fast road bike, but it took me about 13 minutes. It would probably take you only a little longer than the bus to make it there, incl. all the stops.

primusux

Bronze

Post by primusux » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:40 pm

tommytahoe wrote:Also, it should not be more than 15 minutes to ride your bike from that area. For two years I rode my bike to campus, from one mile north of that intersection. Granted, I have a very fast road bike, but it took me about 13 minutes. It would probably take you only a little longer than the bus to make it there, incl. all the stops.

Cool, thanks for the response. Do you have any idea how long of a walk it is from the law school to the ARC?

edit - also, what route would you take on a bike from up on Moore? Any thoughts on the safest route? I saw a biker get hit last time I was in town...so....yah :)

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:30 pm

primusux wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:Also, it should not be more than 15 minutes to ride your bike from that area. For two years I rode my bike to campus, from one mile north of that intersection. Granted, I have a very fast road bike, but it took me about 13 minutes. It would probably take you only a little longer than the bus to make it there, incl. all the stops.

Cool, thanks for the response. Do you have any idea how long of a walk it is from the law school to the ARC?

edit - also, what route would you take on a bike from up on Moore? Any thoughts on the safest route? I saw a biker get hit last time I was in town...so....yah :)
Maybe 10 minute walk from King Hall to the ARC.
And, for the bike route I would take E. Covell west to L St., turn left.
Go south on L St. until you get to E. 8th St., turn right, heading west.
Take E. 8th St. west to B St., turn left.
Take B St. south, cross 5th St., get to campus, then cut across campus to King Hall whichever way you find easiest.

All the streets above have what are called "designated bike lanes" (3- or 4-foot wide lanes for bikes.).

See you on campus!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:11 pm

haider wrote:
primusux wrote:Can anyone tell me why google maps shows a bus stop on Moore Blvd/Pole Line area, but when you look at Unitrans there is nothing that stops there? Is there an easy way to catch a bus up there? Looks to be a 20-30 min bike ride

You can pick up the L line at Pole and Donner, which will take to The Silo on campus, which is right next to the law school.
map here: http://unitrans.ucdavis.edu/schedules/2 ... ce_map.pdf

Also just FYI, as a grad student you do need to purchase a bus pass which is $180 for the year.
http://unitrans.ucdavis.edu/fares/
Fun Fact: I lost my UCD ID and when I replaced it, they put the dot on there that lets UGs ride the bus for free. The replacement cost me only $10 or $15 (I forget), which is a lot less than $180. If this is a commonly made error on the part of the kids in Mrak Hall, then this is worth a try.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:28 pm

SBL wrote:Fun Fact: I lost my UCD ID and when I replaced it, they put the dot on there that lets UGs ride the bus for free. The replacement cost me only $10 or $15 (I forget), which is a lot less than $180. If this is a commonly made error on the part of the kids in Mrak Hall, then this is worth a try.
Nice! I've always thought it unfair that grad students didn't get free Unitrans. Though one of my TA's was a former UCD UG and used his UG ID to use the bus for free even when he was a grad student.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

davis3l

New

Post by davis3l » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:07 pm

If any new 1Ls have questions about starting school, feel free to ask.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:30 pm

I'm going to bump this in case the new generations has some questions about UCD. Time permitting, I will answer.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:50 pm

SBL wrote:I'm going to bump this in case the new generations has some questions about UCD. Time permitting, I will answer.
General thoughts on OCI?

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:18 pm

bk187 wrote:
SBL wrote:I'm going to bump this in case the new generations has some questions about UCD. Time permitting, I will answer.
General thoughts on OCI?
Really mixed bag. Not really sure how PI people fared since I mainly interviewed with firms. It seems like people in the top ~15% were pretty much able to get big firm jobs if they were so inclined, people in the top 20-25% had biglaw callbacks but less luck with offers. Smaller firms are more of a crapshoot, since they place a lot of emphasis on personality and ties to the area and less on grades. Sometimes they'd pass over someone in the top-10% for someone with lower grades, etc. Bear in mind I'm speaking in small sample sizes here, because I don't know that many people's grades/class rank/etc, so a lot of this comes down to rumor/conjecture/generalities.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

New

Post by 80884 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:05 am

can you guys post some pictures of the school or davis in general?

thanks a lot!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Thu May 05, 2011 6:42 pm

80884 wrote:can you guys post some pictures of the school or davis in general?

thanks a lot!
http://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl=en ... 0&aql=&oq=

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Thu May 05, 2011 7:27 pm

Also, I am 2 finals away from being another Davis 3L and am happy to take some Qs.

eagle0889

New

Post by eagle0889 » Wed May 18, 2011 9:49 pm

I'm thinking of attending King Hall next year and want to study business law/real estate law but I don't see any externships or clinicals in related fields. I know there is a business law concentration but could you speak to any outside-the-classroom opportunities that are available to students who want to pursue a career in the field? Thank you for participating in the thread!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sat May 21, 2011 5:02 am

eagle0889 wrote:I'm thinking of attending King Hall next year and want to study business law/real estate law but I don't see any externships or clinicals in related fields. I know there is a business law concentration but could you speak to any outside-the-classroom opportunities that are available to students who want to pursue a career in the field? Thank you for participating in the thread!
Clinics are mainly for public interest students at any school. Businesses, unlike indigent clients, have the luxury of hiring real lawyers to handle their legal affairs and do not have to or want to rely on inexperienced law students. King hall offers some excellent finance classes for lawyers, including one taught by professor hunt which is superb. Generally though, if you want to do corporate law clinics and externships aren't going to mean shit anywhere. You just need to get good enough grades to get a firm job and you're all set.

vissidarte27

Bronze

Post by vissidarte27 » Sun May 29, 2011 12:18 pm

Have you any thoughts in the LRAP program? How does it compare with other T1s?

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sun May 29, 2011 7:08 pm

vissidarte27 wrote:Have you any thoughts in the LRAP program? How does it compare with other T1s?
I am working for a firm, so I don't know much about LRAP/IBR, but hopefully another UCD student on the boards can help you out.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Sun May 29, 2011 8:03 pm

Wow, had no idea this existed! Thanks for reviving it SBL. If NU kicks my ass, I'd love to come back to Davis so I'm gonna be lurking here to read everyone's qs/answers. (tl;dr - tag)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PresMacAllen

New

Post by PresMacAllen » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:44 am

thanks a lot!
I'm a UCD undergrad ATM and I'm applying to King Hall in the fall! I love living in Davis! Here are some photos. :)

Our Social Sciences Building fondly named the "Death Star" because of the wacky architecture and people's tendency to get lost.
--ImageRemoved--

Edge of Campus near 1st street.
--ImageRemoved--

The ARC (rec center)
--ImageRemoved--

In front of Mrak Hall (30 sec walk to King Hall)
--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

UCD Arboretum
--ImageRemoved--

Located inside UCD's Arboretum
--ImageRemoved--

Southern Part of UCD's campus
--ImageRemoved--

Crepeville on the edge of Downtown Davis
--ImageRemoved--

Sorry, I don't have any photos of King Hall. :( hope this helped. ;)

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:52 pm

Awesome photos! Davis gets a lot of shit for being in the "middle of nowhere," but it's really a kick-ass town, and probably the most liveable place I've ever had the pleasure of living. I'm excited to move to SF after graduation, but I'm really going to miss the place.

New

Post by 80884 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:20 am

:D :D :D :D thank you :D :D :D
PresMacAllen wrote:

thanks a lot!
I'm a UCD undergrad ATM and I'm applying to King Hall in the fall! I love living in Davis! Here are some photos. :)

Our Social Sciences Building fondly named the "Death Star" because of the wacky architecture and people's tendency to get lost.
--ImageRemoved--

Edge of Campus near 1st street.
--ImageRemoved--

The ARC (rec center)
--ImageRemoved--

In front of Mrak Hall (30 sec walk to King Hall)
--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

UCD Arboretum
--ImageRemoved--

Located inside UCD's Arboretum
--ImageRemoved--

Southern Part of UCD's campus
--ImageRemoved--

Crepeville on the edge of Downtown Davis
--ImageRemoved--

Sorry, I don't have any photos of King Hall. :( hope this helped. ;)

SarahKerrigan

Bronze

Post by SarahKerrigan » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:24 am

Would it be easier for me to get into davis law since im going to davis for undergrad or is it the same as any other applicant? oh and also 3L means your 3rd year of law school correct? i keep see 1L, 2L, 3L etc and wasn't 100% sure. thank you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:21 pm

SarahKerrigan wrote:Would it be easier for me to get into davis law since im going to davis for undergrad or is it the same as any other applicant? oh and also 3L means your 3rd year of law school correct? i keep see 1L, 2L, 3L etc and wasn't 100% sure. thank you.
Yes 3L's are 3rd year students.

Davis might give a small bump to their undergrads but even if it exists it isn't something large and you need to have numbers that put you in play to get anything out of it. Honestly I wouldn't count on it at all. (My reasoning being I was a Davis undergrad who got waitlisted when I should have been rejected.)

samfii

Bronze

Post by samfii » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:22 pm

Tagged- thanks for all the useful info guys! See you in two weeks!

farmernate

New

Post by farmernate » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:32 pm

How bad is bicycle theft in Davis? If it helps any, I will be riding my girlfriend's bright pink bicycle w/ a hefty lock wrapped around both wheels and the frame.

My apartment will be ~2.5 miles away from King Hall so my bicycle will be my main form of transportation so I would rather not have it stolen.

apollo2015

Bronze

Post by apollo2015 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:52 pm

Lock the wheel to the frame to a bike rack, and you'll be fine. If your bike has detachable parts (such as lights), bring them with you or thieves will grab them in a flash. Rejoice in knowing that bike thefts are pretty much the only crime that ever happens in Davis.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”