Strike-Out Squad 2017: - EIP strike-outs welcome here. Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
patfeeney

Bronze

Strike-Out Squad 2017: - EIP strike-outs welcome here.

Post by patfeeney » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:31 pm

I've struck out and it's stressful. I figure a mass support group would be warranted.

Let's vent, discuss strategies for employment, alternative plans, good fortune, and overall team up as an online buddy-system for those of us whom the EIP Gods frowned upon.

I'm patfeeney.

2L at CCN.
Median grades.
Journal.
Struck out at 20 firms during EIP.

Currently mass-mailing, going through Career services for posting, and networking as much as I can... something I've never done before.

kaiser

Gold

Re: Strike-Out Squad 2017: - EIP strike-outs welcome here.

Post by kaiser » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:34 pm

For those who struck out, couple your mass mailings with informal networking emails to alums (partners in particular) at your target firms. All it takes is one friendly conversation with a partner to give recruiting a nudge and have you in for an interview. Do it tactfully, but don't be shy about that kind of networking.

patfeeney

Bronze

Post by patfeeney » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:38 pm

kaiser wrote:For those who struck out, couple your mass mailings with informal networking emails to alums (partners in particular) at your target firms. All it takes is one friendly conversation with a partner to give recruiting a nudge and have you in for an interview. Do it tactfully, but don't be shy about that kind of networking.
Basically just ask to talk about the firm and their work? That's what I've heard. I'm very afraid that might run into bad territory, but I want to try.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:43 pm

patfeeney wrote:
kaiser wrote:For those who struck out, couple your mass mailings with informal networking emails to alums (partners in particular) at your target firms. All it takes is one friendly conversation with a partner to give recruiting a nudge and have you in for an interview. Do it tactfully, but don't be shy about that kind of networking.
Basically just ask to talk about the firm and their work? That's what I've heard. I'm very afraid that might run into bad territory, but I want to try.
Pretty much. You say how much you are interested in their firm, that its one you have been interested in for awhile but just didn't get due to bad luck in the lottery, etc. You say you are interested in their practice area and would love to chat. You have a quick convo, and then make an organic reference to the fact that you had submitted your materials to recruiting. If the call went well, the person will pick up the signs and offer to give recruiting a nudge on your behalf. Will it always play out like that? Definitely not. But I got quite a few extra callbacks this way.

Babum

Bronze

Post by Babum » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:40 pm

I think I would recommend going on a different way. Do the call and everything but don't bring up the recruitment issue unless the other person does. That way you are at least assured of some interest level. At least, that has worked for me in the past.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”