Yale Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
rendlelaw

New

Yale Class of 2017

Post by rendlelaw » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:00 pm

I feel a little silly making this since I have very few posts, can't put up pictures, and was just about the last person admitted (currently lawschoolnumbers's final acceptance), but it seems silly that we don't have one. Sure we have the facebook group, but so does every other school and they still seem to find a thread useful.

I spend a lot of time getting awkwardly excited about life in New Haven come this fall. I know a lot of people went to the ASP or are going to tomorow's Monday program. Anything great to share?

Currently, my wife and I are browsing Trulia to find the next sweet pad for the RendleFam. We're looking at the beaches west and east of town, as well as some more rural areas to the north and northwest. Anybody have a great insider website?

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Howl

Bronze

Re: Yale Class of 2017

Post by Howl » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:35 am

I don't know about an insider website, but apparently East Rock (esp. along Orange Street) is a great place to live for families and for people who want a more quiet and safe environment.

I do have a somewhat trivial question though - has everyone gotten their snuggies? I thought it would come with my Yale binder but alas, no snuggie for me yet. Anyone admitted in the first weekend of April get their snuggie?

oxie

Bronze

Post by oxie » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:54 am

Glad someone made this topic!

Sadly don't have any real estate info, but I do have snuggie news: I got in the first weekend of April and I just got mine earlier this week. So yours is probably on its way, Howl!

nabadgelyo

Bronze

Post by nabadgelyo » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:01 am

Howl wrote:I don't know about an insider website, but apparently East Rock (esp. along Orange Street) is a great place to live for families and for people who want a more quiet and safe environment.

I do have a somewhat trivial question though - has everyone gotten their snuggies? I thought it would come with my Yale binder but alas, no snuggie for me yet. Anyone admitted in the first weekend of April get their snuggie?
The Snuggie comes separate from the binder. I was admitted the first week of April and it just came this week, so I bet yours is on its way.

Howl

Bronze

Post by Howl » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:19 am

Thanks all for your snuggie updates! Another reason to anticipate getting home from work :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bp1

New

Post by bp1 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:28 am

I am continually grateful that everyone else is as excited about the snuggie as I was.

lewisandclark

New

Post by lewisandclark » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:43 am

bp1 wrote:I am continually grateful that everyone else is as excited about the snuggie as I was.
I just got my snuggie this week, after I got my admissions binder. I giggled when I saw that it had finally come.

OP: My partner and I are also looking at houses, and a colleague from New Haven has strongly encouraged us to go through a real estate agent; in fact, he said it might be required to go through agents in CT. Something to consider as you house-hunt.

rendlelaw

New

Post by rendlelaw » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:08 pm

Thanks Lewis!
We actually are working with a realtor that we like right now. We've going up next weekend to take a look at some property. It's really our only chance to go up there before August, so here's hoping.

gottago

Bronze

Post by gottago » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:09 pm

edit
Last edited by gottago on Thu May 15, 2014 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bhs12

Bronze

Post by bhs12 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:11 pm

bp1 wrote:I am continually grateful that everyone else is as excited about the snuggie as I was.

Another snuggie-lover here. See you all in the fall!

lewisandclark

New

Post by lewisandclark » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:33 am

gottago wrote:Anyone consider turning YLS down for HLS?
It was a very difficult choice for me, and I agonized over it for a while (I have personal ties to the Boston area and had a chance to talk to several students who go to each school). In the end, it came down to finances, and I felt that Yale's COAP was stronger than Harvard's LIPP for what I wanted to do.

What about you? What are you seeing as the pros/cons?

oxie

Bronze

Post by oxie » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:38 am

Just got some financial aid stuff sorted out, so I'm going to be sending in my enrollment forms today! REALLY excited! :D :D :D

Still have to figure out a picture for the facebook, though...

Howl

Bronze

Post by Howl » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:32 pm

For sending in additional Financial Aid forms/documentation - is sending them in an e-mail acceptable? The binder didn't mention any place to upload them, right?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

oxie

Bronze

Post by oxie » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:41 pm

Howl wrote:For sending in additional Financial Aid forms/documentation - is sending them in an e-mail acceptable? The binder didn't mention any place to upload them, right?
Yeah, the financial aid office told me they could just be emailed.

gottago

Bronze

Post by gottago » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:30 am

edit
Last edited by gottago on Thu May 15, 2014 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lewisandclark

New

Post by lewisandclark » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:50 am

gottago wrote:So they chose H out of HYS, and I was kind of already thinking the same things as this current student. They just articulated it better than I could and I wanted to make sure I'm not making a colossal mistake by walking away from YLS.
Among the students I spoke with were two who chose HLS over YLS and were very happy. You honestly won't go wrong either way, it simply comes down to preference over the areas where there are differences. Some people prefer a small class size, some people like the greater diversity at HLS. Some people have a specific professor at one school or another they want to study under. Some people want to be close to Boston, others close to NYC. Finances may work out differently at each school.

But at the end of the day, it's entirely up to you, and you can't go wrong with either choice.

Howl

Bronze

Post by Howl » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:10 am

@gottago you do you, bruh. Honestly, I think everyone in this thread is just happy to finally commit and know where we're going. If you think H is ultimately a better fit and you'll be happier there, go for it. As lewisandclark put it, no wrong choice at this point.

On another note, I am sad that the fabled snuggie still has not made an appearance in my mailbox :(

ETA: thanks for letting us know, oxie!
oxie wrote:
Howl wrote:For sending in additional Financial Aid forms/documentation - is sending them in an e-mail acceptable? The binder didn't mention any place to upload them, right?
Yeah, the financial aid office told me they could just be emailed.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

oxie

Bronze

Post by oxie » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:48 am

Oh no, Howl! Maybe they're like hand-sewing yours??

gottago, as others have said, I don't think there's really a bad choice here. I think YLS does have some advantages, though. For one, I'd imagine the more relaxed grading system at YLS would make it easier to spend time socializing rather than studying if that's a really high priority for you. In terms of faculty interaction, it seems like YLS actively facilitates that by requiring two major faculty-supervised writing assignments, having that small first semester single section class, and keeping the student-faculty ratio really low. And when I visited, I really didn't get the sense that YLS students were that insular -- there seemed to be a lot of interaction between YLS students studying environmental law and students at the forestry school, for example, and several students talked about spending time at the graduate/professional student bar on campus. Harvard is a bigger school in a bigger city, though, and if you feel like that's where you're going to be happiest, I don't think it's a bad call to go there. Good luck making your decision!

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Thu May 01, 2014 11:27 am

RELEVANT!!!!

... Best of luck to all you guys!

chneyo

Bronze

Post by chneyo » Thu May 01, 2014 11:47 am

Last edited by chneyo on Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rendlelaw

New

Post by rendlelaw » Thu May 01, 2014 10:29 pm

Also, relevant.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bhs12

Bronze

Post by bhs12 » Thu May 01, 2014 10:48 pm

@gottago, what did you ultimately decide?

Instinctive

Bronze

Post by Instinctive » Fri May 02, 2014 12:19 am

Sweet there's a thread here! I didn't want to be the one who started it hahaha.

Super excited to start this fall! I'm gonna be one of the weirdos who is KJD but doesn't live in East Rock or the Towers.

bhs12

Bronze

Post by bhs12 » Fri May 02, 2014 12:35 am

Instinctive wrote:Sweet there's a thread here! I didn't want to be the one who started it hahaha.

Super excited to start this fall! I'm gonna be one of the weirdos who is KJD but doesn't live in East Rock or the Towers.
Where are you living?

Instinctive

Bronze

Post by Instinctive » Fri May 02, 2014 1:12 am

bhs12 wrote:
Instinctive wrote:Sweet there's a thread here! I didn't want to be the one who started it hahaha.

Where are you living?
It looks like I'll be somewhere on Mansfield St. That way I'm walking distance to both YLS and SOM.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”