Minnesota Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
The Dark Shepard

Bronze

Minnesota Class of 2017

Post by The Dark Shepard » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:29 pm

Hey, didn't see a topic for this, so figured I should start one. I have deposited and will be there this fall. Anyone else?

DaysToGo

New

Re: Minnesota Class of 2017

Post by DaysToGo » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:49 am

I don't think Minnesota has a very active TLS base. I've deposited as well, but I've also deposited elsewhere, hoping to negotiate, but MN is my top choice right now.

The Dark Shepard

Bronze

Post by The Dark Shepard » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:19 pm

Not for this year anyways. I think the class two or three years above us has a fair amount. Nova, mnbills, etc

DaysToGo

New

Post by DaysToGo » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:50 pm

Nevermind. I've decided no matter what, MN is the place for me. I'm joining you there in the fall! And I see Nova pretty much on every thread so I'm not surprised that a few years ago MN TLSers were pretty active.

atwardow

New

Post by atwardow » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:34 pm

1L at Minnesota here. If you have any general questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Count1234

New

Post by Count1234 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:42 pm

atwardow wrote:1L at Minnesota here. If you have any general questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them.
Do those chairs in the class/lecture rooms bother you? During ASW they were kind of annoying because they're attached to the table and when you try to get out at the same time as the person next to you, then you run into each other. Does this happen often? I know this isn't a very big concern, I figured I would just get someone's opinion who uses those chairs more often than just one weekend.

Count1234

New

Post by Count1234 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:51 pm

atwardow wrote:1L at Minnesota here. If you have any general questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them.
On a more serious note though, Feagre is offering scholarships to Law Preview for MN students, do you think this would be helpful/worth attending?

The Dark Shepard

Bronze

Post by The Dark Shepard » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:13 pm

Count1234 wrote:
Do those chairs in the class/lecture rooms bother you? During ASW they were kind of annoying because they're attached to the table and when you try to get out at the same time as the person next to you, then you run into each other. Does this happen often? I know this isn't a very big concern, I figured I would just get someone's opinion who uses those chairs more often than just one weekend.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

odonnlld5

New

Post by odonnlld5 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:23 pm

Deposited as well. See you guys in the fall.

Anyone looking at living downtown? I'm trying to find a place right now.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

The Dark Shepard

Bronze

Post by The Dark Shepard » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:30 pm

I'm looking more Loring Park/Uptown area

atwardow

New

Post by atwardow » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:31 pm

Count1234 wrote:
It's quite rare that I bump into anyone. Yes, U of M's facilities are admittedly pretty embarrassing, but I find myself spending almost no time reflecting on this. I've had a fantastic year here so far.

odonnlld5

New

Post by odonnlld5 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:35 pm

Did you secure a job for this summer or what are you planning on doing?

atwardow

New

Post by atwardow » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:49 pm

Count1234 wrote:
On a more serious note though, Feagre is offering scholarships to Law Preview for MN students, do you think this would be helpful/worth attending?
Would the scholarship pay for the entire course? If so, sure. Why not. If not, then I'd probably say no.

This isn't necessarily exactly related to your question, but as general advice, what I would recommend about this sort of stuff is that you avoid falling into the herd mentality of 1L year and instead approach the semester strategically with an independent focus. You will feel pressure to spend a lot of time briefing cases and later meticulously crafting your own outlines as exams draw near. Unless you discover through your own experience that this is a good way to study for you, don't bother. There certainly is something to be said for reading every single case you are assigned thoroughly to build up your analytical skills, but your time will be better spent going through canned outlines and hornbooks than trying to slog through 100s of cases.

In general, outlines are way less important than taking as many practice tests as you possibly can. I got an A+ and two As in three "traditional" courses last semester. On one exam I had a crude 9 page outline, and on another a 3 page outline. For my con law exam I didn't even bother making an outline. In preparation for each exam I took probably 10 practice tests, and by the time the big day rolled around I had internalized everything to the point where having an outline was not even necessary. I saw people around me with gargantuan outlines who later did not do well. Also, I observed no relationship between how well people briefed cases and handled cold calls, and subsequently did on exams.

Just some random things to think about. If you find that the standard way of doing things works well for you, then do it. If not, then feel confident about employing study methods that you know work for you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:55 pm

DaysToGo wrote:Nevermind. I've decided no matter what, MN is the place for me. I'm joining you there in the fall!
8)
DaysToGo wrote:And I see Nova pretty much on every thread so I'm not surprised that a few years ago MN TLSers were pretty active.
yeah my class was much more active on tls than this year's or last year's. we had 3 posters with thousands of posts by the time the semester started & several more with hundreds of posts. since the class size is relatively small, and the school is regional, i think the amount of active posters just varies randomly.
Count1234 wrote:
Do those chairs in the class/lecture rooms bother you? During ASW they were kind of annoying because they're attached to the table and when you try to get out at the same time as the person next to you, then you run into each other. Does this happen often?
if this bothers you, consider claiming the handicap table if no one needs it. twice the space. unconnected chair.
downside (or possible upside) is that its at the end of the row, so you only get to sit by 1 person.
sup bro

atwardow

New

Post by atwardow » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:56 pm

odonnlld5 wrote:

Yes I did, but not at a local firm as I am embarking on a slightly unorthodox trajectory through connections I have out in DC. From what I know informally I would say 90%+ of my section mates have secured solid summer jobs in a diverse range of areas. I can only think of a handful who haven't.

odonnlld5

New

Post by odonnlld5 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:59 pm

atwardow wrote:
odonnlld5 wrote:

Yes I did, but not at a local firm as I am embarking on a slightly unorthodox trajectory through connections I have out in DC. From what I know informally I would say 90%+ of my section mates have secured solid summer jobs in a diverse range of areas. I can only think of a handful who haven't.

Nice, that's encouraging.

atwardow

New

Post by atwardow » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:59 pm

Nova wrote:
DaysToGo wrote:Nevermind. I've decided no matter what, MN is the place for me. I'm joining you there in the fall!
8)
DaysToGo wrote:And I see Nova pretty much on every thread so I'm not surprised that a few years ago MN TLSers were pretty active.
yeah my class was much more active on tls than this year's or last year's. we had 3 posters with thousands of posts by the time the semester started & several more with hundreds of posts. since the class size is relatively small, and the school is regional, i think the amount of active posters just varies randomly.
Count1234 wrote:
Do those chairs in the class/lecture rooms bother you? During ASW they were kind of annoying because they're attached to the table and when you try to get out at the same time as the person next to you, then you run into each other. Does this happen often?
if this bothers you, consider claiming the handicap table if no one needs it. twice the space. unconnected chair.
downside (or possible upside) is that its at the end of the row, so you only get to sit by 1 person.
sup bro
Hey!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu May 01, 2014 12:01 am

Count1234 wrote:On a more serious note though, Feagre is offering scholarships to Law Preview for MN students, do you think this would be helpful/worth attending?
general consensus is you should just enjoy your summer while you can.

its nearly impossible to beneficially retain anything substantive in an awful 1 week crash course.

there is plenty of time to learn the law. basically everyone is gonna know the law.

exam writing & application is what separates everyone

Count1234

New

Post by Count1234 » Thu May 01, 2014 1:02 pm

Nova wrote:
Count1234 wrote:On a more serious note though, Feagre is offering scholarships to Law Preview for MN students, do you think this would be helpful/worth attending?
general consensus is you should just enjoy your summer while you can.

its nearly impossible to beneficially retain anything substantive in an awful 1 week crash course.

there is plenty of time to learn the law. basically everyone is gonna know the law.

exam writing & application is what separates everyone
Good to know! and also, thanks atwardow! I'll keep what you said in mind come fall. I think I'll apply for the scholarship anyway, can't hurt (I hope) since I'm going to give myself some time before school to relax. Were either of you at ASW? Student ambassador maybe?

Could either of you tell me what 1L schedules are like in terms of length of class, length of time between classes, which days classes take place, and anything else relevant to how much time I will have to look at coursework between classes (I'm anticipating either studying between classes, or catching up before classes).

Count1234

New

Post by Count1234 » Thu May 01, 2014 3:39 pm

So I want (need, really) to save money because I'm going to be a poor law student. So I'm wondering if there is a way for me to get book lists for classes before orientation/first day of class? I want to be able to order them online if they'll be cheaper that way.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu May 01, 2014 4:14 pm

Count1234 wrote:Could either of you tell me what 1L schedules are like in terms of length of class, length of time between classes, which days classes take place, and anything else relevant to how much time I will have to look at coursework between classes (I'm anticipating either studying between classes, or catching up before classes).
I don't really remember details, but expect to have class m-f. Every section is different, but generally all the classes are 8-5ish, & everyones lunch hour is around noon. there will definitely be a lot of hours here and there to study/read thoughout the typical 8-5 work day. youre only in class 15/16 hrs a week so youll have plenty of free time to study or do whatever you want during most of the day and all of the evenings.

One exception is "law & practice" (which is during the second semester) which is like hypothetical role play. Sometimes that's at night.
Were either of you at ASW? Student ambassador maybe?
na
Count1234 wrote:So I want (need, really) to save money because I'm going to be a poor law student. So I'm wondering if there is a way for me to get book lists for classes before orientation/first day of class? I want to be able to order them online if they'll be cheaper that way.
youll be able to find out the books before orientation. once you know your profs you can see what books they have assigned on onestop. Someone will likely post about it on the facebook group when the info becomes available.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu May 01, 2014 5:58 pm

Count1234

New

Post by Count1234 » Fri May 02, 2014 9:33 am

Nova wrote:
Count1234 wrote: Were either of you at ASW? Student ambassador maybe?
na
Too bad. Thought I might have met you, but unlikely now.

Do people go to professor office hours?

atwardow

New

Post by atwardow » Mon May 05, 2014 12:57 am

Count1234 wrote:
Nova wrote:
Count1234 wrote: Were either of you at ASW? Student ambassador maybe?
na
Too bad. Thought I might have met you, but unlikely now.

Do people go to professor office hours?
No I wasn't.

I do on occasion, but not to discuss class material. Usually it's to talk about career-related issues or - if the professor's research focus is interesting to me - to discuss something they've written about. Many are very open to these kinds of conversations.

UndecidedMN

Bronze

Post by UndecidedMN » Mon May 05, 2014 1:59 am

One thing about buying books. If you get Morrison for Con Law, do not buy his hacked up version of Chermensky. But the actual book. You cannot resell or use his hacked up version later and it the same thing as the original Chermensky book but with everything cut out from Con Law II.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”