Rutgers-Camden Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
JohnnyRutgers

New

Rutgers-Camden Class of 2017

Post by JohnnyRutgers » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:21 pm

Just sent in paperwork for Rutgers-Camden, anybody else make it official? I had until April 15th to say if I wanted in with my scholarship money or not.

stacyx

New

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2017

Post by stacyx » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:11 pm

They gave me until 4/30 to make it official....still waiting on a few other schools, but they've made the decision very tough! Are you from NJ?

JohnnyRutgers

New

Post by JohnnyRutgers » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:05 pm

Yes, born and raised.

jagnut

New

Post by jagnut » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:55 pm

Checking in. I submitted my reservation last week and received my shirt and hat yesterday- looks like a softball uniform ha. I'm looking forward to the fall.

Not doing jump-start, btw

JohnnyRutgers

New

Post by JohnnyRutgers » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:55 pm

Me neither. Too much OT in the summer for me to pass up.

I'm also skipping on 330 Cooper as of now. Looking in Center City around the PATCO lines.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

XxMVPxX

New

Post by XxMVPxX » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:52 pm

Accepted my offer here a few weeks ago. I go to Rutgers-Camden undergrad and basically walk by the law school every single day. I live in south Jersey and commute via train so if anyone has any questions about the area feel free to ask.

JohnnyRutgers

New

Post by JohnnyRutgers » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:09 pm

The PATCO line will be my lifeblood, I intend to live in Center City. I've asked many South Jersey locals about it though, they said it should be fine.

Invigilator

New

Post by Invigilator » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:00 pm

Confirmed that I am attending Rutgers - Camden!

Anyone looking to share housing? After doing a bit of research spending over $1000 a month to SHARE an apartment with several other people at 330 Cooper seems like a ripoff considering the cheap housing options available in the area (also you can't open the windows - yuck!), specifically The Victor, which has 1 bedrooms starting at $1095. Since I am 100% committed to going into public interest law, and looking forward to an unpaid internship this summer, I have to stretch my funds as far as possible to cover summer expenses. I have read past threads where students were able to share a 1 bedroom loft in The Victor(one person has room in living room area, the other has bedroom). I currently am living in an arrangement like this and it has worked out quite well for me.

Would anyone be interested in exploring this option with me? Also, looking on craigslist, there seems to be quite a few decent looking houses renting for super cheap within blocks of Rutgers. That could be an even cheaper option if we wanted to get really ambitious...

Anyway PM me if you're interested!

JohnnyRutgers

New

Post by JohnnyRutgers » Thu May 01, 2014 6:56 pm

Good news. RU placed in the top 50 for Above the Law's rankings. They place a greater emphasis on jobs and debt than US News. Here is the link: http://abovethelaw.com/careers/2014-law ... -rankings/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ioannisk

New

Post by ioannisk » Tue May 20, 2014 2:55 pm

m
Last edited by ioannisk on Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrMisiu

Bronze

Post by MrMisiu » Fri May 23, 2014 4:57 am

If you're referring to creating an email address: https://netid.rutgers.edu/index.htm then click NetID activation.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Fri May 23, 2014 5:07 am

JohnnyRutgers wrote:Good news. RU placed in the top 50 for Above the Law's rankings. They place a greater emphasis on jobs and debt than US News. Here is the link: http://abovethelaw.com/careers/2014-law ... -rankings/
Yes...and ATL's ranking methodology is much more useful to applicants and students. U.S. News is a fraud anyways. I doubt it sends out enough surveys to justify its claims. I still have yet to meet a judge, prof or admin who has ever received one, and they would be largely ill-equipped to comment on any schools other than those at which they teach or attended.

It's "reputation" metric is thus skewed and virtually useless, library size and number of volumes is irrelevant due to the widespread use of Lexis and Westlaw (and their reduced costs), and per-student expenditures are manipulated. On top of that, GPA's don't figure much into student quality because of rampant grade-inflation and qualitative disparities between colleges and majors.

IMO, ATL's ranking is the only one worth giving serious weight to. Princeton Review is somewhat useful, and even law school 100 (with its batch-style rankings) presents a more accurate picture.

What matters in the end is OUTCOMES...JOBS!

nick417

Bronze

Post by nick417 » Mon May 26, 2014 7:56 pm

ioannisk wrote:Hey all, I'm joining you this fall :)

I'm so confused on how to get my e-mail information though. Also, I have no recieved much on financial aid based on FAFSA, only scholly.

I don't know the area so the idea of living outside school property scares me... (Camden)

I might do jumpstart.
I'm so excited :)
I am rising 2L at Rutgers-Camden. If you don't want to spend the money on 330 Cooper (I lived there last year and it definitely has its benefits but is extremely expensive) I suggest looking in Collingswood and Haddonfield for apartments. They are both very nice, small communities, and you can probably find 1 bedroom apartments in the range of $650-750.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ioannisk

New

Post by ioannisk » Tue May 27, 2014 12:52 pm

nick417 wrote:

I'm so confused on how to get my e-mail information though. Also, I have no recieved much on financial aid based on FAFSA, only scholly.

I don't know the area so the idea of living outside school property scares me... (Camden)

I might do jumpstart.
I am rising 2L at Rutgers-Camden. If you don't want to spend the money on 330 Cooper (I lived there last year and it definitely has its benefits but is extremely expensive) I suggest looking in Collingswood and Haddonfield for apartments. They are both very nice, small communities, and you can probably find 1 bedroom apartments in the range of $650-750.
Any idea how many rutgers law graduates grab government jobs? that's what I'm looking for.

Also, how is the law school community?

JohnnyRutgers

New

Post by JohnnyRutgers » Wed May 28, 2014 3:52 pm

How is 330 Cooper? Seriously considering it.

nick417

Bronze

Post by nick417 » Fri May 30, 2014 4:22 pm

JohnnyRutgers wrote:How is 330 Cooper? Seriously considering it.

Not bad, and it is very convenient since right across the street from school. Plus, the Patco is right out back and you can go to Philly and Collingswood easily. Plus, you will meet a lot of your classmates and make friends more easily (which really helps). It is expensive, and privacy is little less but I liked it as a 1L. I would suggest it, especially if you don't know anyone else at the law school, are not from the area, and don't want to worry about commuting nonsense.

nick417

Bronze

Post by nick417 » Fri May 30, 2014 4:25 pm

ioannisk wrote:
nick417 wrote:

I might do jumpstart.
Any idea how many rutgers law graduates grab government jobs? that's what I'm looking for.

Also, how is the law school community?
The law school community is friendly and is not cut throat. The professors (at least the ones I had) were great and very helpful. Overall, we are pretty close knit group here.

As for gov't jobs, I don't know. IF you are referring to clerking, lots of students here find clerk positions in the NJ state court systems. I am interning this summer with a Federal Judge in Philadelphia. As for gov't jobs in general, I have no idea.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nick417

Bronze

Post by nick417 » Fri May 30, 2014 4:31 pm

Also, if any incoming students have any questions for me, please send me message. I will gladly answer any questions you have about being a 1L and what Rutgers is like. Also, I can give you pointers for class and what not. My suggestion for the summer would be to simply enjoy yourself and don't read a bunch of prep books or anything like that. Your first semester of law school you will be doing more reading than you have ever done in your life before (most likely) enjoy the free time while you can.

JohnnyRutgers

New

Post by JohnnyRutgers » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:05 pm

Just committed to 330 Cooper. My plan to live in Philly fell through and it seemed living in Center City solo was just as expensive as 330 Cooper.

Arij.Syed

New

Post by Arij.Syed » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:13 pm

Has anybody heard anything good about the Victor apartments? I am a little leery of living with 3 other people at 330 Cooper.

wlee1220

Bronze

Post by wlee1220 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:36 pm

Not going to Rutgers-C, but was born and raised in Camden five minutes away from the law school (still live in the city) and can be a help with those who are trying to find a place. There are a lot of reasonable apartments near the PATCO lines in Collingswood, Westmont, Haddonfield, in good neighborhoods.

I'd be more than happy to answer questions via PM.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JohnnyRutgers

New

Post by JohnnyRutgers » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:50 pm

Is there some sort of FB group everybody could join to share info or meet people?

Arij.Syed

New

Post by Arij.Syed » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:34 pm

Start that group up Johnny Rutgers :]

staige152

New

Post by staige152 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:07 am

Just a few quick questions:

Has anyone heard back yet from Rutgers Housing?

Also does anyone know how the work study program works? I read the Federal financial aid page but I'm still confused on whether they place me in a position or do I need to go and find a job that qualifies.

JohnnyRutgers

New

Post by JohnnyRutgers » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:05 am

I have not heard back from Rutgers housing.

Any questions I had with financial aid I called them directly to solve it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”