UNC Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Re: UNC Class of 2017

Post by hipcatdaddio » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:17 pm

Also, if you login to my.law.unc.edu and look at the "course schedules" link on the left-hand side, then filter the results by "first year" courses, it'll give you a list of courses, professors, and times. There are 3 sections for each course and each section is taking a different course for their small section. Hope that helps more than my first response.

lsatnoob

New

Post by lsatnoob » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:53 pm

hipcatdaddio wrote:Also, if you login to my.law.unc.edu and look at the "course schedules" link on the left-hand side, then filter the results by "first year" courses, it'll give you a list of courses, professors, and times. There are 3 sections for each course and each section is taking a different course for their small section. Hope that helps more than my first response.
Very helpful! Thank you!

hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Post by hipcatdaddio » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:35 pm

I'm growing increasingly anxious by them sending out emails outlining steps to take, and those steps not being available on ConnectCarolina. Granted, I fought with ConnectCarolina for 4 years as an UG, I had just hoped that it would run a bit more smoothly for law school. :roll:

apples89

New

Post by apples89 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:50 pm

hipcatdaddio wrote:I'm growing increasingly anxious by them sending out emails outlining steps to take, and those steps not being available on ConnectCarolina. Granted, I fought with ConnectCarolina for 4 years as an UG, I had just hoped that it would run a bit more smoothly for law school. :roll:
yeah wow there are a lot of extra things to do now before officially starting class.

I need to figure out insurance, immunizations, and send a final transcript (to where, I have yet to figure out). I haven't had any trouble the websites and forms so far though, but I also just took a quick glance today so I don't know if surprised are waiting for me.

hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Post by hipcatdaddio » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:53 pm

apples89 wrote:
hipcatdaddio wrote:I'm growing increasingly anxious by them sending out emails outlining steps to take, and those steps not being available on ConnectCarolina. Granted, I fought with ConnectCarolina for 4 years as an UG, I had just hoped that it would run a bit more smoothly for law school. :roll:
yeah wow there are a lot of extra things to do now before officially starting class.

I need to figure out insurance, immunizations, and send a final transcript (to where, I have yet to figure out). I haven't had any trouble the websites and forms so far though, but I also just took a quick glance today so I don't know if surprised are waiting for me.
I sent my transcript to the address that is at the bottom of the UNC Law homepage. It worked for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

apples89

New

Post by apples89 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:28 am

hipcatdaddio wrote:
apples89 wrote:

I sent my transcript to the address that is at the bottom of the UNC Law homepage. It worked for me.
thanks i figured it would just go there.

anyone know where there are good places for a 30 min lunch around CH? I was wondering how the food situation is, and that taco/burrito place in the school looked kinda pathetic.

hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Post by hipcatdaddio » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:34 pm

apples89 wrote:
hipcatdaddio wrote:
apples89 wrote:

thanks i figured it would just go there.

anyone know where there are good places for a 30 min lunch around CH? I was wondering how the food situation is, and that taco/burrito place in the school looked kinda pathetic.
I would go somewhere on Franklin Street. BSkis is good, so is SupDogs fora quick lunches. Sutton's is a local favorite as well. All good and quick.

apples89

New

Post by apples89 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:27 pm

has anyone had experience with Chapel Hill buses? I'm probably going to live around Carrboro and was wondering how I get to the law school.

Also, is there an App for the bus lines? I used transloc for Duke and Emory but i don't remember seeing UNC on there.

Cecin'estpasunepipe

New

Post by Cecin'estpasunepipe » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:47 pm

apples89 wrote:has anyone had experience with Chapel Hill buses? I'm probably going to live around Carrboro and was wondering how I get to the law school.

Also, is there an App for the bus lines? I used transloc for Duke and Emory but i don't remember seeing UNC on there.
I currently live in Carrboro (Westbrook Drive) and my roommate is a rising 2L at UNC. She started out her 1L taking the bus but within a month realized it was absurd not to just buy a park-and-ride pass for her car. It took an hour and one bus change to make it from Carrboro to the law school so she ended up paying for parking at the Friday Center and just riding the bus from there. Also I vaguely remember her talking about an app for the bus routes but I'm not 100% sure.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

apples89

New

Post by apples89 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:01 pm

Cecin'estpasunepipe wrote:
apples89 wrote:has anyone had experience with Chapel Hill buses? I'm probably going to live around Carrboro and was wondering how I get to the law school.

I currently live in Carrboro (Westbrook Drive) and my roommate is a rising 2L at UNC. She started out her 1L taking the bus but within a month realized it was absurd not to just buy a park-and-ride pass for her car. It took an hour and one bus change to make it from Carrboro to the law school so she ended up paying for parking at the Friday Center and just riding the bus from there. Also I vaguely remember her talking about an app for the bus routes but I'm not 100% sure.
thanks for the heads up. i'll probably do the same if i end up over there, or are there any ways i could drive directly, or close to the law school?

Cecin'estpasunepipe

New

Post by Cecin'estpasunepipe » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:15 pm

apples89 wrote:
Cecin'estpasunepipe wrote:

thanks for the heads up. i'll probably do the same if i end up over there, or are there any ways i could drive directly, or close to the law school?
Not a lot of options for driving/parking close to the law school. I have heard of people perusing Craigslist for private parking. The law school (the whole campus really) is in the center of a heavily residential area with lots of little old ladies and some young families living in homes right on Franklin Street/Raleigh Road so if you offer $200-250 (even throw in some babysitting or lawn maintenance) a semester to someone who lives right around the area they are likely to let you park in their driveway during the weekdays.

hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Post by hipcatdaddio » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:03 pm

The app for the bus lines in Chapel Hill is Nextbus. It's a free app for apple. It's not always 100% accurate, but it's good enough. Also, it depends on what part of Carrboro you live in for whether a bus will take you somewhat near the law school. Parking near the law school is woeful. Cecinestpas said, your best bet as a 1L (since we aren't allowed to park at the law school) is to try and find a resident nearby and pay to park in their driveway. Parking is the biggest problem with Chapel Hill as a town. It's dreadful.

apples89

New

Post by apples89 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:47 pm

hipcatdaddio wrote:

The app for the bus lines in Chapel Hill is Nextbus. It's a free app for apple. It's not always 100% accurate, but it's good enough. Also, it depends on what part of Carrboro you live in for whether a bus will take you somewhat near the law school. Parking near the law school is woeful. Cecinestpas said, your best bet as a 1L (since we aren't allowed to park at the law school) is to try and find a resident nearby and pay to park in their driveway. Parking is the biggest problem with Chapel Hill as a town. It's dreadful.
cool. looks like for the most part i'll do park and ride now. ended up somewhere on westbrook dr since i started looking way too late. next year i think i'll aim to get a parking permit so I can live over in durham instead.

hope we get to see our schedules soon.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Post by hipcatdaddio » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:02 pm

Quick note regarding parking. New this year is something called "Night Parking" which means that all on-campus lots require a NP Permit between 5pm-7am on weekdays. Weekends will not require a permit, but nights will. These permits are free for UNC students b/c we pay a fee for it that's included in our tuition/fees bill. To register for one:
1. Go to dps.unc.edu
2. click the "Manage Parking Account" link on the left side of the page.
3. Login with onyen/password
4. Go to "Night Parking Permit"
5. Choose your student status (since First Year Law isn't an option, mark as Graduate Commuter. Since we pay a fee for the permits and they're free, I don't think there'll be an issue regarding this).
6. Register your car and whatnot.

Again, these permits are for 5pm-7am on weekdays. These times are included with a normal parking pass, but since 1Ls can't purchase one of those, this is the way to ensure that you can park on campus during those late nights or whatever without being ticketed by DPS (and they will ticket you in a heartbeat).

lsatnoob

New

Post by lsatnoob » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:04 am

are 1Ls the only graduate-level students at UNC not eligible to apply for parking? seems kinda weird to me...MBA students, Med students, and even second year undergraduates are allowed to apply for parking, but not 1Ls?

hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Post by hipcatdaddio » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:36 am

lsatnoob wrote:are 1Ls the only graduate-level students at UNC not eligible to apply for parking? seems kinda weird to me...MBA students, Med students, and even second year undergraduates are allowed to apply for parking, but not 1Ls?
This is correct. It's pretty crappy IMO. 1Ls and Freshmen UGs are the only students who can't apply for parking. Granted, most UGs end up having to park in one of the Park & Ride lots off of campus and take a bus to and from their cars. Parking in Chapel Hill is awful, but I think it's kind of ridiculous to not have a spot on campus for all graduate/professional students who almost all live off campus.

apples89

New

Post by apples89 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:41 pm

Where does night parking allow us to park? Any lot that is empty or are we assigned lots? It says all lots require it, but doesn't mention specifics.

Would you guys recommend bringing a pet to LS even though most people seem to have little to no free time?

Looking forward to meeting you guys in CH soon!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Post by hipcatdaddio » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:53 am

apples89 wrote:Where does night parking allow us to park? Any lot that is empty or are we assigned lots? It says all lots require it, but doesn't mention specifics.

Would you guys recommend bringing a pet to LS even though most people seem to have little to no free time?

Here's the parking map for Night Parking. It appears to cover most every lot on campus except for a few visitor lots. --LinkRemoved--

Also, I have a cat that I'm definitely not going to get rid of for law school. I like having my cat during stressful times.

hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Post by hipcatdaddio » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:13 am

It's also incredibly important to note that any parking permit you have means absolutely nothing when there's a football/basketball home game. Almost every single lot on campus is reserved for some sort of game-day parking and there's always a scramble for people to relocate their cars to other lots because they will not ticket, they will tow on game days.

Parking is truly the worst part about Chapel Hill as a town, but you get used to it.

ltrego

Bronze

Post by ltrego » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:20 am

apples89 wrote:Where does night parking allow us to park? Any lot that is empty or are we assigned lots? It says all lots require it, but doesn't mention specifics.

I'm bringing my dog. I had no time in undergrad between classes and three jobs. At least in law school I'll be having no time while studying at home quite a bit. He won't mind having quality time snuggling while I study my brains out. :)

hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Post by hipcatdaddio » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:44 pm

ltrego wrote:

I'm bringing my dog. I had no time in undergrad between classes and three jobs. At least in law school I'll be having no time while studying at home quite a bit. He won't mind having quality time snuggling while I study my brains out. :)
I really can't imagine going through law school without my pet. Sometimes you need a little ball of fur that loves you unconditionally. :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

apples89

New

Post by apples89 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:25 am

hipcatdaddio wrote:
ltrego wrote:

I really can't imagine going through law school without my pet. Sometimes you need a little ball of fur that loves you unconditionally. :D
i have a cat. the love is conditional. she only likes me for my food.

hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Post by hipcatdaddio » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:51 am

so...finishing orientation with a kickball tournament? Unless the final prize is beer, I could think of better ways to finish a 3-day orientation.

apples89

New

Post by apples89 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:56 pm

hipcatdaddio wrote:so...finishing orientation with a kickball tournament? Unless the final prize is beer, I could think of better ways to finish a 3-day orientation.
thought that was a sample of one. hopefully it wont be blistering hot; idk how many of you guys are from the south but in late summer/early fall the weather is awful.

hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Post by hipcatdaddio » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:42 am

apples89 wrote:
hipcatdaddio wrote:so...finishing orientation with a kickball tournament? Unless the final prize is beer, I could think of better ways to finish a 3-day orientation.
thought that was a sample of one. hopefully it wont be blistering hot; idk how many of you guys are from the south but in late summer/early fall the weather is awful.
I'm from NC and while it's usually blistering hot, it's been a pleasant temperature this past week, but the torrential rain has gotten really old. But yeah, late August is still incredibly hot. Everybody gets sunburned during the first football game of the season. Usually b/c it's at noon, but it's at 6pm this year. So maybe only get burned at the tailgate.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”