UIUC 2017--U Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
bugsy33

Bronze

Re: UIUC 2017--U Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Post by bugsy33 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:41 am

Yanky91 wrote:
hukchobo wrote:I'll also be attending.

Are there any events in August? I'll be flying in from Seoul in late July.
Other than orientation? I haven't heard of anything. I am interested as well. I will be moving to U-C several days before orientation which is the 20th. If there are events a week or so before orientation I would definitely consider attending especially because I do not know anyone there yet and it would be a good opportunity to get to know a few peeps.
There is a bar night on the 13th of August.

hukchobo

New

Post by hukchobo » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:52 am

bugsy33 wrote:
Yanky91 wrote:

Other than orientation? I haven't heard of anything. I am interested as well. I will be moving to U-C several days before orientation which is the 20th. If there are events a week or so before orientation I would definitely consider attending especially because I do not know anyone there yet and it would be a good opportunity to get to know a few peeps.

nice i just reread all the emails the school sent and there is an event in mid august. is everyone here going to attend?

isuperserial

Silver

Post by isuperserial » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:54 am

hukchobo wrote:
bugsy33 wrote:
Yanky91 wrote:

nice i just reread all the emails the school sent and there is an event in mid august. is everyone here going to attend?
I'm going to be in Hawaii of all places. Do a shot for me!

hukchobo

New

Post by hukchobo » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:02 am

isuperserial wrote:
I'm going to be in Hawaii of all places. Do a shot for me!

rather be where u are gonna be. :cry:

suchana

New

Post by suchana » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:23 am

Anyone who knows where to get cheap 1L textbooks?
Or, is there anyone who is willing to sell his/her used textbooks?
Thank you so much!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Chardee_MacDennis

Bronze

Post by Chardee_MacDennis » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:41 am

suchana wrote:Anyone who knows where to get cheap 1L textbooks?
Thank you so much!
PM me when you get your schedule

hukchobo

New

Post by hukchobo » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:32 pm

Thank you so much!

Also curious about this!

isuperserial

Silver

Post by isuperserial » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:22 pm

hukchobo wrote:
Thank you so much!

Also curious about this!
I'd imagine we could get it on the cheap from Amazon. I'd buy used, but I don't want some book all marked up already.

hukchobo

New

Post by hukchobo » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:51 am

Quick question for current students:

I'm trying to add my illinois email address to my phone but it says that the email account will be able to remotely control my phone. It sounds like the IT guys at the school would have some sort of control over my phone if I do this. I'm not too PC illiterate but all of this network security thing goes over my head.

Is this normal? What exactly can it do without my approval? Have you heard of any negative instances? Should I do it?

Thanks guys

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Chardee_MacDennis

Bronze

Post by Chardee_MacDennis » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:53 am

hukchobo wrote:Quick question for current students:

I'm trying to add my illinois email address to my phone but it says that the email account will be able to remotely control my phone. It sounds like the IT guys at the school would have some sort of control over my phone if I do this. I'm not too PC illiterate but all of this network security thing goes over my head.

Is this normal? What exactly can it do without my approval? Have you heard of any negative instances? Should I do it?

Thanks guys
What phone do you have? I have an iPhone, and I don't remeber seeing anything similar, and my email works fine (and I'm pretty sure IT has no control over my phone).

hukchobo

New

Post by hukchobo » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:22 am

Chardee_MacDennis wrote:
hukchobo wrote:Quick question for current students:

Thanks guys
What phone do you have? I have an iPhone, and I don't remeber seeing anything similar, and my email works fine (and I'm pretty sure IT has no control over my phone).
I have an s3 with android (dunno the version name but its the latest one for my phone in korea)

bugsy33

Bronze

Post by bugsy33 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:17 pm

Here's an interesting piece of data about the C/O 2013 employment statistics...bear with me now:

If we assume that the c/o 2013 had the same average bar passage rate as the class of 2012 (92% overall, 98% in IL), and that people who didn't pass the bar were ineligible for legal jobs, that means that of the eligible attorneys from the c/o 2013 88% found some sort of legal work and 83% found long term, full time, legal work. Even if you take out school funded jobs, 74% found FTLT legal employment. I took out people who were unknown (3), not-seeking (2), start-date deferred (2), and pursuing full time graduate studies (5).

That's for the class which graduated into the most bloated legal market of all time.

We're going to have 35% less competition when we graduate. I like those odds.

isuperserial

Silver

Post by isuperserial » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:47 pm

bugsy33 wrote:Here's an interesting piece of data about the C/O 2013 employment statistics...bear with me now:

If we assume that the c/o 2013 had the same average bar passage rate as the class of 2012 (92% overall, 98% in IL), and that people who didn't pass the bar were ineligible for legal jobs, that means that of the eligible attorneys from the c/o 2013 88% found some sort of legal work and 83% found long term, full time, legal work. Even if you take out school funded jobs, 74% found FTLT legal employment. I took out people who were unknown (3), not-seeking (2), start-date deferred (2), and pursuing full time graduate studies (5).

That's for the class which graduated into the most bloated legal market of all time.

First off, I don't like cutting out those who didn't pass the bar. Everyone goes to law school thinking they will pass, those whose expectations are not met represent relevant data.

Secondly, 35% less competition is erroneous; it's just 35% less competition from other UIUC grads. Chicago and NW who are our main competition are holding steady, more or less.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bugsy33

Bronze

Post by bugsy33 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:59 am

isuperserial wrote:
bugsy33 wrote:Here's an interesting piece of data about the C/O 2013 employment statistics...bear with me now:

First off, I don't like cutting out those who didn't pass the bar. Everyone goes to law school thinking they will pass, those whose expectations are not met represent relevant data.

Secondly, 35% less competition is erroneous; it's just 35% less competition from other UIUC grads. Chicago and NW who are our main competition are holding steady, more or less.
The reason I cut those who didn't pass the bar is because they can't possibly get a bar passage required job. It doesn't matter if they went to Harvard. Passing the bar is mostly on us as students. If we view FTLT Legal employment as the only positive outcome of a school, I think it's worth noting this fact. People who pass the bar on their second attempt are likely to not have their employment numbers reported within the 9 month mark.

I was using 35% broadly, as that is the approximate national reduction in law students entering this fall compared to the fall of 2010.

If our class size is 150, that would be a 46% decline from the c/o 2013. Northwestern has decreased aprox. 20% since 2010. Chicago has remained steady, though I doubt we'd really be competing with UC grads for jobs.

I know this isn't a perfect metric, but it seems pretty clear; if you passed the bar in 2013 you had an 80%+ chance at a FTLT legal job if you wanted one.

Yanky91

Bronze

Post by Yanky91 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:24 pm

bugsy33 wrote:
isuperserial wrote:

The reason I cut those who didn't pass the bar is because they can't possibly get a bar passage required job. It doesn't matter if they went to Harvard. Passing the bar is mostly on us as students. If we view FTLT Legal employment as the only positive outcome of a school, I think it's worth noting this fact. People who pass the bar on their second attempt are likely to not have their employment numbers reported within the 9 month mark.

I was using 35% broadly, as that is the approximate national reduction in law students entering this fall compared to the fall of 2010.

If our class size is 150, that would be a 46% decline from the c/o 2013. Northwestern has decreased aprox. 20% since 2010. Chicago has remained steady, though I doubt we'd really be competing with UC grads for jobs.

I know this isn't a perfect metric, but it seems pretty clear; if you passed the bar in 2013 you had an 80%+ chance at a FTLT legal job if you wanted one.
Also, you have to take into account that most Chicago and Northwestern grads leave Chicago and find work wherever they want. So you won't be competing against all the Chicago and Northwestern grads. You will only be competing with those who stay. You can go on their website and find this number for yourself. Overall I do think that things are going to get better for UIUC, and I think that it's the best it has been in years (regardless of whether you include those who passed or not). Also, I thought our class size is around 180 or 190……. no?

Chardee_MacDennis

Bronze

Post by Chardee_MacDennis » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:30 pm

Yanky91 wrote:
Also, you have to take into account that most Chicago and Northwestern grads leave Chicago and find work wherever they want. So you won't be competing against all the Chicago and Northwestern grads. You will only be competing with those who stay. You can go on their website and find this number for yourself. Overall I do think that things are going to get better for UIUC, and I think that it's the best it has been in years (regardless of whether you include those who passed or not). Also, I thought our class size is around 180 or 190……. no?
Right, but you're also competing against students from UMich, Harvard, ND, WUSTL, IU, DePaul, Loyola, Kent, etc.

This is a dumb conversation that needs to stop. You're correct in saying that things are getting better, but there are still more law grads than available jobs. If you want less competition, get in the top 10-15% your first year.

bugsy33

Bronze

Post by bugsy33 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:45 am

Chardee_MacDennis wrote:
This is a dumb conversation that needs to stop.

Okay...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

transfer22

New

Post by transfer22 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:50 pm

I am re-letting (the lease will be in your name) my 1BR apartment. PM for details if interested.

Chardee_MacDennis

Bronze

Post by Chardee_MacDennis » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:41 pm

PSA: you should be receiving your section assignments in the near future. If you have any Qs about profs/classes (or anything, really), feel free to post here or PM.

jsanner2

New

Post by jsanner2 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:20 pm

Will be attending. Any former/current student able to give me a "day in the life of a 1L at UIUC" summary?

isuperserial

Silver

Post by isuperserial » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:35 pm

jsanner2 wrote:Will be attending. Any former/current student able to give me a "day in the life of a 1L at UIUC" summary?
Welcome to the club!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bugsy33

Bronze

Post by bugsy33 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:23 pm

jsanner2 wrote:Will be attending. Any former/current student able to give me a "day in the life of a 1L at UIUC" summary?
Welcome!

I imagine it will be like this [youtube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt0hLBF0rN8 [/youtube]

Disclaimer: 0L

p.s. post in the TLS Class of 2017 thread so you can be added to the list.

Chardee_MacDennis

Bronze

Post by Chardee_MacDennis » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:49 pm

If you're doing it right: some combination of class/study/lunch/extra-curriculars until 5:30/6 M-F, then out 3-4 nights a week. I followed this schedule 1L and did really well. I know others who did just as well going out more than that.

If you're doing it wrong: you live in the library, go out 1-2 nights a week (0 nights during finals) and maybe burn out by 2nd semester, getting median pwned.

Don't get sucked into the "I-don't-have-time-to-do-anything" crowd. You have nothing but time 1L. Just manage it properly and you'll do just fine.

Ultimately, though, you have to do what works for you.

bugsy33

Bronze

Post by bugsy33 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:02 am

Chardee_MacDennis wrote:
If you're doing it right: some combination of class/study/lunch/extra-curriculars until 5:30/6 M-F, then out 3-4 nights a week. I followed this schedule 1L and did really well. I know others who did just as well going out more than that.

If you're doing it wrong: you live in the library, go out 1-2 nights a week (0 nights during finals) and maybe burn out by 2nd semester, getting median pwned.

Don't get sucked into the "I-don't-have-time-to-do-anything" crowd. You have nothing but time 1L. Just manage it properly and you'll do just fine.

Wow, 3-4 nights a week sounds crazy. What bars do you frequent? I went to Brothers on a visit this summer and they had a great selection of $1 drinks.

I've heard that UI COL has a reputation for being really laid back. Do you think that's still the case? I recall a Princeton Review article that said Illinois and North Carolina were tied for "students who study the least" at 1.5hrs a day. That was back in '11 though.

Chardee_MacDennis

Bronze

Post by Chardee_MacDennis » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:39 pm

bugsy33 wrote:
Chardee_MacDennis wrote:

Wow, 3-4 nights a week sounds crazy. What bars do you frequent? I went to Brothers on a visit this summer and they had a great selection of $1 drinks.

I've heard that UI COL has a reputation for being really laid back. Do you think that's still the case? I recall a Princeton Review article that said Illinois and North Carolina were tied for "students who study the least" at 1.5hrs a day. That was back in '11 though.
I frequent most bars (other than Kam's, which is a shithole, but holds nostalgia for some). Firehaus is good Sundays during football, Brothers is good on Thursdays, and Joe's is good most nights. If you care to venture downtown, Blind Pig is great. There are some other bars downtown, too, that are good.

Three-four nights isn't really that often. Some of my friends were out nearly every night.

I'd say on the whole, students are pretty laid back, though it can get intense during finals. I've heard worse stories from friends at other schools.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”