UIUC 2017--U Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
suchana

New

UIUC 2017--U Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Post by suchana » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:51 pm

Let me know if anyone else has decided to attend uiuc.
I would love to share my housing information and others with future classmates.
Last edited by suchana on Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yanky91

Bronze

Re: UIUC 2017

Post by Yanky91 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:54 pm

suchana wrote:Let me know if anyone else has decided to attend uiuc.
I haven't decided yet, but I have it down to UIUC and another school. Im going to visit on Friday.

Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Silver

Post by Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:31 pm

Just so this thread is easier to find, could you add "Illinois" somewhere in the title line? That way, it will be searchable and stand out on the page with the other c/o 2017s :-)

suchana

New

Post by suchana » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:08 am

Baby_Got_Feuerbach wrote:
Just so this thread is easier to find, could you add "Illinois" somewhere in the title line? That way, it will be searchable and stand out on the page with the other c/o 2017s :-)
Thank you for your good advice!
I have already changed the title :-)
Are you also planning to attend U Illinois?

pagenotfound

New

Re: UIUC 2017--U Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Post by pagenotfound » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:28 am

Decided to come.
Go to ASD on 4/11.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

suchana

New

Post by suchana » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:43 am

Hi all. Here is a bit information on housing----
Currently, there is the option of 3BD room on campus. The rent is $300 per month. Utilities amount to $30 in summer and $50 in winter. The room is well-furnished and people living in the apartment are mostly grad students. There is only one thing---this option might be gone after April 15.
I get this information from a friend who is doing phd in U Illinois. I am advised to find room mates myself so that there would be a sense of the people who will be living together. In light of this, I'm sharing the information and if there is anyone else who thinks this option of 3BD room is good and acceptable, maybe we could discuss this further. Personally, I would prefer to share rooms with future classmates.
Thanks for your attention.

RLowry23

Bronze

Post by RLowry23 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:31 pm

I deposited and will be attending!

bugsy33

Bronze

Post by bugsy33 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:41 pm

Good to see you're attending pagenotfound. I've been following you on LSN. May just see you there :)

isuperserial

Silver

Post by isuperserial » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:51 pm

Hey everyone, just checking in! What's everyone doing for housing?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

isuperserial

Silver

Post by isuperserial » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:20 pm

I decided we should add some cool stuff to make this thread useful like the Cornell and Harvard threads for people who plan on going to UIUC. If Suchana could add this to the top post, that'd be dope.

--ImageRemoved--

Important information:

Upcoming events include:

“Innocence Options: Meet the Releasee”
Wednesday, April 30, 2014
Max L. Rowe Auditorium, College of Law Building
12:00 PM–1:00 PM

"Property Rights in Ocean Fisheries", Lecture by Dr. Robert Deacon
Wednesday, April 16, 2014
Max L. Rowe Auditorium, College of Law Building
1:30 PM–2:45 PM

HOUSING:

Housing Forum

Tenant Union

Apartment Ratings - Champaign

Finances:

Financial Aid
Parking
Residency
Deposits (Next due May 23rd, 2014)
Student Health Insurance
Loan Repayment Assistance Program

DATA:
Law School Transparency Report
Top Law Schools Profile

Other:

The Chicago Program

Student Organizations

Credit to AMilfordMan for posting the following guide for the 2016 class last year:

Housing
Champaign
Many of the frats/sororities are between: Gregory - 1st Street - Wright - Green. Housing tends to be pricey in this region due to proximity to class and bars.
North of Green: Cheap, cheap, cheap. Lots of UG engineers and international students in this part of town. The places aren’t the nicest, but they are on bus routes and the closest to County Market (the most convenient campus grocery store). Don’t go any further north than University Ave.
West of 1st Street: Lot’s of grad students. Prices vary. Mostly old houses turned into apts

Urbana
North of Florida, East of Lincoln, West of Vine, and South of University (the “state streets”….Illinois, Pennsylvania, etc.) is often on the more expensive side, but it is a very quiet, nice area. In general, Urbana is thought of as the more liberal, bike friendly, farmer’s market part of town. And it is. Hardwood floors, radiator heat, plenty of trees.
North of University is still not good.
East of Vine can get sort of far away and sketchy at times.
South of Florida is much more non-student residential. I wouldn’t expect to find much here, but it’s generally a nice area so long as you stay west of Philo road.

Savoy
This is where The Village is, and I've been told a lot of law students live there. Driving distance or a long bus ride. Cheap, quiet, and far away from everything. While that might not sound like a ringing endorsement, there are really some nice places in Savoy for a reasonable price. If you don’t mind the commute, it is worth looking into.

Local restaurants and bars
Thai - Siam Terrace, Urbana
Indian - Bombay Grill, Champaign
Chinese - Golden Harbor, Champaign
Mexican - Mas Amigos, Urbana
BBQ - Black Dog, Urbana
Burgers/fries - Seven Saints, Champaign and Crane Alley, Urbana
Breakfast - Courier Cafe, Urbana
Italian - Mia Za’s, Champaign
Sushi - KoFusion, Champaign does $1 sushi on Sunday and Monday
Random:
Desthil - Champaign does good fusion/high end/comfort food
Radio Maria - Champaign for tapas
Bacaro - the only $$$$ place in town

Bars:
Bro bars, undergrads, cheap drinks:
Joe’s, Firehaus, Brothers
Hipster/low-key:
Murphy’s
Sports and/or casual:
Legend’s, Guido’s, Esquire, Quality, Crane Alley, The Blind Pig and The Blind Pig Brewery***

***Likely the most popular bars for 21-30 year olds

Visit a few study locations
If you have a lot of time to kill during your visit, maybe spend some of it doing what you’ll likely be doing in law school; studying/reading/browsing the internet at a library or coffee shop. For starters, the campus has an Espresso Royale at seemingly every corner and downtown Champaign has Cafe Kopi.

Tour the campus
While Champaign-Urbana is a smaller town than many people are used to, the university itself is without a doubt a world-class research institution. Definitely take the chance to get out and explore, and try to appreciate C-U. The whole “metro” area is less than 250k people, but there are a huge variety of cultures represented on campus.
For reference, the law school is on the southern edge of campus, close to the stadiums, workout facility (ARC), and freshmen dorms. If you walk one block east from the law school and work your way north, you will go through the south quad, main quad, engineering/Bardeen quad, and northern/Beckman quad.
The part of town you might want to avoid starts just north of the Beckman quad. While there isn’t a lot of crime in C-U, it’s still best to stay south of University Ave.

bugsy33

Bronze

Post by bugsy33 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:17 am

Nice work there. I went ahead and updated the UIUC Wiki page on TLS. You can find it here.

mccllln2

New

Post by mccllln2 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:34 am

Mexican - Mas Amigos, Urbana

I was an undergrad at U of I, the best Mexican food in the area by far is either Maize at first and green, or at the Mexican Grocery store/restaurant El Charro basically across the street half a block past First on Green. It looks rundown but trust me, the best

isuperserial

Silver

Post by isuperserial » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:35 pm

bugsy33 wrote:Nice work there. I went ahead and updated the UIUC Wiki page on TLS. You can find it here.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ZGr88n

Bronze

Post by ZGr88n » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:55 pm

Trying to decide if I should visit, anybody ITT find a visit to the school helpful?

defensedph

New

Post by defensedph » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:10 pm

ZGr88n wrote:Trying to decide if I should visit, anybody ITT find a visit to the school helpful?

I thought my visit was pretty helpful. It was a pretty standard visit - tour with a student, sit-in on a class, and a meeting with the admissions office. I got a really good vibe from the school. I have very borderline numbers for UIUC, but was treated better on my visit there than at some ofmy safety schools.

bugsy33

Bronze

Post by bugsy33 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:46 pm

My visit really didn't sway me one way or another. The building is pretty meh, but the rest of the campus is pretty nice. The biggest takeaway I got is that everyone is really friendly, chill, and non-competitive. Even though exams are coming up people still came up to my tour guide to chit chat and say hi. I thought that was pretty cool. The tour guide and dean of admissions both really stressed how happy people are at UIUC. She said that's the best way to describe the school.

Yanky91

Bronze

Post by Yanky91 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:39 pm

I will be a student at this school this fall. They learned me good 8)

Haha, no but I am really excited to start. Congrats to all of you who will be attending. May the best man/woman win. :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Yanky91

Bronze

Post by Yanky91 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:48 pm

Is it too early to look for a place to live? When I search on the internet there is not much available in Urbana. There is basically nothing within walking distance. Is that because I'm too early or too late?

Chardee_MacDennis

Bronze

Post by Chardee_MacDennis » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:05 pm

Yanky91 wrote:Is it too early to look for a place to live? When I search on the internet there is not much available in Urbana. There is basically nothing within walking distance. Is that because I'm too early or too late?
You're probably too late for the more popular places, like the Village, Place at 117, and 75 Armory. I held my unit in April but didn't sign my lease until August when I moved in.

You'll just have to Craigslist/Padmapper places and find something close to campus.

Yanky91

Bronze

Post by Yanky91 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:47 pm

Chardee, is parking really that bad? If I were to buy a shuttle pass for E14 would I have a really tough time getting a spot throughout the semester? The parking situation is the only thing keeping me from signing a lease for a place that I really like but that is too far away to walk. I know everyone is saying you can take a bus, but don't the buses stop running pretty early? Also, is there really a big difference between Champaign and Urbana?

Chardee_MacDennis

Bronze

Post by Chardee_MacDennis » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:54 pm

Yanky91 wrote:Chardee, is parking really that bad? If I were to buy a shuttle pass for E14 would I have a really tough time getting a spot throughout the semester? The parking situation is the only thing keeping me from signing a lease for a place that I really like but that is too far away to walk. I know everyone is saying you can take a bus, but don't the buses stop running pretty early? Also, is there really a big difference between Champaign and Urbana?
I park at E-14, it's fine. I've never taken the shuttle from the school to the lot, so I'm not sure when it stops. It's only a ten minute walk, which is usually fine, but this past winter was brutal.

I'm not sure what you're asking re: differences b/t Champaign and Urbana. I mean, there are parts of Urbana closer to campus than parts of Champaign, and there are parts of both that you should avoid.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Yanky91

Bronze

Post by Yanky91 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:10 pm

I meant living wise. I've heard Urbana is quiet compared to Champaign, and that Champaign is where all the noisy undergrad hipsters live. I've heard that they (the hipsters) walk around wearing snow caps and flannel shirts in the summer, and drink Kombucha and say stupid things like, "the world is like so large."

So if I were to purchase a shuttle pass and park in the south portion of E14, I shouldn't have too much trouble finding a space?

Chardee_MacDennis

Bronze

Post by Chardee_MacDennis » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:41 pm

Yanky91 wrote:I meant living wise. I've heard Urbana is quiet compared to Champaign, and that Champaign is where all the noisy undergrad hipsters live. I've heard that they (the hipsters) walk around wearing snow caps and flannel shirts in the summer, and drink Kombucha and say stupid things like, "the world is like so large."

So if I were to purchase a shuttle pass and park in the south portion of E14, I shouldn't have too much trouble finding a space?
I haven't noticed any discernible difference between living in Urbana vs. Champaign.

There are plenty of spots in E-14: it's one of the lots for Assembly Hall/Memorial Stadium.

hukchobo

New

Post by hukchobo » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:52 am

I'll also be attending.

Are there any events in August? I'll be flying in from Seoul in late July.

Yanky91

Bronze

Post by Yanky91 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:22 am

hukchobo wrote:I'll also be attending.

Are there any events in August? I'll be flying in from Seoul in late July.
Other than orientation? I haven't heard of anything. I am interested as well. I will be moving to U-C several days before orientation which is the 20th. If there are events a week or so before orientation I would definitely consider attending especially because I do not know anyone there yet and it would be a good opportunity to get to know a few peeps.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”