University of Florida Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
itachiuchiha

Silver

University of Florida Class of 2017

Post by itachiuchiha » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:58 pm

Fire away! Anybody know the dress code to ASD? Anyone excited for ILSP? Anyone not excited?

Nucky

Silver

Re: University of Florida Class of 2017

Post by Nucky » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:40 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:Fire away! Anybody know the dress code to ASD? Anyone excited for ILSP? Anyone not excited?
I believe the dress code was listed as business casual.

Pretty pumped for UF, though I am taking my acceptance with a degree of cautious optimism, as I have yet to receive scholarship info.

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:40 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:Fire away! Anybody know the dress code to ASD? Anyone excited for ILSP? Anyone not excited?
I signed up for ASD as well, FWIW. Hope to see you there!

itachiuchiha

Silver

Post by itachiuchiha » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:03 pm

Nucky wrote:
I believe the dress code was listed as business casual.

Pretty pumped for UF, though I am taking my acceptance with a degree of cautious optimism, as I have yet to receive scholarship info.
I'm on the same boat as you bud. Waiting for scholly info. Considering wake forest who offered 14k/yr and ohio state who offered 15k/year

plsg

New

Post by plsg » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:57 pm

I want to attend admitted students day, but I don't live in Florida. Have you heard anything about travel stipends? FSU offered me one, I wonder if UF will do the same.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:05 pm

plsg wrote:I want to attend admitted students day, but I don't live in Florida. Have you heard anything about travel stipends? FSU offered me one, I wonder if UF will do the same.
Considering they aren't giving people scholarships I highly doubt they're handing out travel stipends. The purse strings are tight at UF, and it's quite the turn off.

I may even back out of ASD at this point.

plsg

New

Post by plsg » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:00 am

Nucky wrote:
plsg wrote:I want to attend admitted students day, but I don't live in Florida. Have you heard anything about travel stipends? FSU offered me one, I wonder if UF will do the same.
Considering they aren't giving people scholarships I highly doubt they're handing out travel stipends. The purse strings are tight at UF, and it's quite the turn off.

I may even back out of ASD at this point.

I received my scholarship info and I am satisfied with the offer. The scholarship came about a week after the admission letter. Maybe yours will come in the mail. I'm still debating if I should go to ASD or if I should schedule a separate visit.

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:32 pm

Got my scholarship --- and it's a good one. Heading out to ASD next weekend.

A few other TLSers and I will be meeting at The Top on Thursday night at 7:30 if any of you would like to join.

ItsTribbey

New

Post by ItsTribbey » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:02 pm

Got my scholarship. See ya'll at ASD!!! I'll likely be accepting that day as well - anybody else?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rdelaney

Bronze

Post by rdelaney » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:19 pm

ItsTribbey wrote:Got my scholarship. See ya'll at ASD!!! I'll likely be accepting that day as well - anybody else?
I'll probably be accepting. I can't believe FSU isn't offering $$$ when UF offers an almost half price deal. I'm stoked to be a Double Gator though!

Can't wait to see everyone at ASD either! If anyone is in town that Thursday some of us will be at the Top downtown at 7:30 to hang out!

ItsTribbey

New

Post by ItsTribbey » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:44 pm

rdelaney wrote:
ItsTribbey wrote:Got my scholarship. See ya'll at ASD!!! I'll likely be accepting that day as well - anybody else?
I can't believe FSU isn't offering $$$ when UF offers an almost half price deal.

Can't wait to see everyone at ASD either! If anyone is in town that Thursday some of us will be at the Top downtown at 7:30 to hang out!
I might head up the night before, it'd be cool to get to know some of the incoming class.

I couldn't believe FSU didn't offer any $$ either. Well, I can understand up front, but not so much when the obvious choice is to save 50% for an equal degree. It's not like FSU is so much better that I'd rather pay sticker.

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:38 pm

ItsTribbey wrote:
rdelaney wrote:
I can't believe FSU isn't offering $$$ when UF offers an almost half price deal.

I might head up the night before, it'd be cool to get to know some of the incoming class.

I couldn't believe FSU didn't offer any $$ either. Well, I can understand up front, but not so much when the obvious choice is to save 50% for an equal degree. It's not like FSU is so much better that I'd rather pay sticker.
FSU is not better than UF, unless you want to work gov't work in Tallahassee. Being a few spots ahead for one year for USNWR does not make you a better law school. That's like saying Alabama is better than Notre Dame and BC. USNWR is a joke.

ItsTribbey

New

Post by ItsTribbey » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:20 pm

Right on. Seeing as UF has held a top spot in Florida for YEARS, I don't give much credibility to the one year that FSU has some sort of claim to the top spot anyway. Aside from that, you can't walk down the street in Orlando without passing an attorney (and typically one that is pretty well-off) that graduated from UF.

I'm pretty pumped, and looking forward to meeting everyone though.

The most difficult decision for me came down to whether or not I wanted to try to go for free elsewhere, but I just don't think I can say no.

One thing left to figure out: What the hell am I going to do with all of my 'noles gear?!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rdelaney

Bronze

Post by rdelaney » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:28 pm

ItsTribbey wrote:Right on. Seeing as UF has held a top spot in Florida for YEARS, I don't give much credibility to the one year that FSU has some sort of claim to the top spot anyway. Aside from that, you can't walk down the street in Orlando without passing an attorney (and typically one that is pretty well-off) that graduated from UF.

I'm pretty pumped, and looking forward to meeting everyone though.

The most difficult decision for me came down to whether or not I wanted to try to go for free elsewhere, but I just don't think I can say no.

One thing left to figure out: What the hell am I going to do with all of my 'noles gear?!
Burn it! :twisted: Hahaha.

ItsTribbey

New

Post by ItsTribbey » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:31 pm

Hahaha, my brother is so not pumped I'm going to be a Gator. Been a Knight for a while now, proud of that. Gator Nation is next level shit though.

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:38 pm

rdelaney wrote: Burn it! :twisted: Hahaha.
TITCR :lol:

LawGirl7

New

Post by LawGirl7 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:45 pm

Is anyone else torn between UF and Emory? I would love to work in Orlando, and I know that there are many UF grads in the area, but I don't think UF's career services are doing as much as Emory or even FSU in terms of placing their students or connecting with their alumni. And every UF grad is fighting for those positions. I'm wondering if the "prestige" of Emory in the Southeast is good enough to get those competitive higher paying positions in Central Florida/Tampa, etc.. Any advice?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ItsTribbey

New

Post by ItsTribbey » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:54 pm

A friend of mine is a 3L at FSU and got a job offer out of a summer associates position at H&K - he says there are a good amount of UF and Stetson grads there. Didn't mention Emory. I think in Orlando UF and FSU probably reign supreme, at least that seems to be what I've observed having lived here.

All of the work and courtroom experience I have is DJJ/Dependency, which is not really the market I'm looking to go into after law school, but it did let me network well with a lot of GAL's, let them see my writing abilities and work ethic... so I can just tell you what I think I've seen around town and have heard from the attorney's I've been fortunate enough to work with.

acc123

New

Post by acc123 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:36 pm

LawGirl7 wrote:Is anyone else torn between UF and Emory? I would love to work in Orlando, and I know that there are many UF grads in the area, but I don't think UF's career services are doing as much as Emory or even FSU in terms of placing their students or connecting with their alumni. And every UF grad is fighting for those positions. I'm wondering if the "prestige" of Emory in the Southeast is good enough to get those competitive higher paying positions in Central Florida/Tampa, etc.. Any advice?
Emory places better than any school in Florida. Their number is a lot higher on LST http://www.lstscorereports.com/state/FL/

LawGirl7

New

Post by LawGirl7 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:37 pm

ItsTribbey wrote:A friend of mine is a 3L at FSU and got a job offer out of a summer associates position at H&K - he says there are a good amount of UF and Stetson grads there. Didn't mention Emory. I think in Orlando UF and FSU probably reign supreme, at least that seems to be what I've observed having lived here.

All of the work and courtroom experience I have is DJJ/Dependency, which is not really the market I'm looking to go into after law school, but it did let me network well with a lot of GAL's, let them see my writing abilities and work ethic... so I can just tell you what I think I've seen around town and have heard from the attorney's I've been fortunate enough to work with.
Yeah, I just feel like only the top 10% of UF and FSU grads get those big law positions, whereas at Emory maybe the top 35% have that chance. Not trying to diss UF or anything, but there are so many graduates competing for those jobs in Central Florida. It's a tough decision for sure.

acc123- Thanks for the link!

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:51 pm

LawGirl7 wrote:
ItsTribbey wrote:A friend of mine is a 3L at FSU and got a job offer out of a summer associates position at H&K - he says there are a good amount of UF and Stetson grads there. Didn't mention Emory. I think in Orlando UF and FSU probably reign supreme, at least that seems to be what I've observed having lived here.

Yeah, I just feel like only the top 10% of UF and FSU grads get those big law positions, whereas at Emory maybe the top 35% have that chance. Not trying to diss UF or anything, but there are so many graduates competing for those jobs in Central Florida. It's a tough decision for sure.

Florida places about 15% in Biglaw/Fed clerkships compared to FSU's 10%. Also, UF has a larger class so many more jobs are going to UF grads than FSU grads, hence the stronger alumni network.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:55 pm

FSU and UF are similar enough that you should go to whichever is significantly cheaper. All things being equal, go to FSU for government and UF for firm work. Undecided? Go to the better all around school --- UF. Personally, I wouldn't even consider any other school in Florida.

ItsTribbey

New

Post by ItsTribbey » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:17 pm

My comment is just referencing orlando/cfl specifically. It's all about where you want to live.

LawGirl7

New

Post by LawGirl7 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:31 pm

Nucky wrote:
LawGirl7 wrote:

Florida places about 15% in Biglaw/Fed clerkships compared to FSU's 10%. Also, UF has a larger class so many more jobs are going to UF grads than FSU grads, hence the stronger alumni network.
I'm actually debating between UF and Emory. Although FSU is probably in my #3 position, they did a great job at their Admitted Student's Day. Can't wait for UF's on Friday.

LawGirl7

New

Post by LawGirl7 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:32 pm

ItsTribbey wrote:My comment is just referencing orlando/cfl specifically. It's all about where you want to live.
Understood. And I ideally would love to live in Central Florida. However, choosing my location is second in importance to me as securing a good job, so it's hard to balance everything out.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”