Pepperdine Class of 2017. Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
Shirosham

Bronze

Re: Pepperdine Class of 2017.

Post by Shirosham » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:39 pm

Yazzzay wrote:
KD35 wrote:
Yazzzay wrote:So looking at the fbk group and talking around, it looks like a good amount of people's scholarships got bumped. Has anyone petitioned them recently for more?

I got shot down a while back due to the whole 'we have a matrix to determine it with gpa/lsat' but now I'm confused as to why others have been increased...
Did you come in with a scholarship? Because there likely will be a difference between those with scholarships who had theirs increased and someone with no money who then receives money. Also, last year I never had my money increased while others did (but that could have been the bracket that my scholarship fell within).
Yes, I'm coming in with money. I'm above the LSAT median, below GPA median...I guess my bracket didn't get impacted but that seems rather stupid because the people I hear who got their money bumped went from 3/4 schol to even higher...? So idk. Did you ask them about it and try and get shot down or what?
Did you email again? Any luck?

Yazzzay

Bronze

Post by Yazzzay » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:42 am

Shirosham wrote:
Yazzzay wrote:
KD35 wrote:
Yazzzay wrote:So looking at the fbk group and talking around, it looks like a good amount of people's scholarships got bumped. Has anyone petitioned them recently for more?

I got shot down a while back due to the whole 'we have a matrix to determine it with gpa/lsat' but now I'm confused as to why others have been increased...
Did you come in with a scholarship? Because there likely will be a difference between those with scholarships who had theirs increased and someone with no money who then receives money. Also, last year I never had my money increased while others did (but that could have been the bracket that my scholarship fell within).
Yes, I'm coming in with money. I'm above the LSAT median, below GPA median...I guess my bracket didn't get impacted but that seems rather stupid because the people I hear who got their money bumped went from 3/4 schol to even higher...? So idk. Did you ask them about it and try and get shot down or what?
Did you email again? Any luck?
No, I never did. Probs should have.

Actually just got off my 2nd choice, and with possible in state tuition second year, and a scholarship, I'm looking at a good amount less debt for what I think may be a better school. Is it worth asking Pepperdine if my scholarship can be negotiated higher or at this point is it too late?

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:06 am

Yazzzay wrote:Actually just got off my 2nd choice, and with possible in state tuition second year, and a scholarship, I'm looking at a good amount less debt for what I think may be a better school. Is it worth asking Pepperdine if my scholarship can be negotiated higher or at this point is it too late?
Is Pepperdine your first choice? How many times have you contacted them? My outlook is that if you are up in the air about going there unless you get more money, then there is no harm in asking for more money. When you do reach out, or I guess rather if you reach out, emphasize that Pepperdine is where you really want to go but LS is so expensive and there are other options that aren't as good of a fit but wouldn't require such a huge investment or loan amount.

How much less debt are you looking at? Where (regionally) is the other school? Where do you want to practice and what area of law are you interested in?

Yazzzay

Bronze

Post by Yazzzay » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:48 am

KD35 wrote:
Yazzzay wrote:Actually just got off my 2nd choice, and with possible in state tuition second year, and a scholarship, I'm looking at a good amount less debt for what I think may be a better school. Is it worth asking Pepperdine if my scholarship can be negotiated higher or at this point is it too late?
Is Pepperdine your first choice? How many times have you contacted them? My outlook is that if you are up in the air about going there unless you get more money, then there is no harm in asking for more money. When you do reach out, or I guess rather if you reach out, emphasize that Pepperdine is where you really want to go but LS is so expensive and there are other options that aren't as good of a fit but wouldn't require such a huge investment or loan amount.

How much less debt are you looking at? Where (regionally) is the other school? Where do you want to practice and what area of law are you interested in?
DELETED. Decided to stick with Pepperdine. Incredibly difficult decision but I think the right one for me.

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:58 am

Yazzzay wrote:
KD35 wrote:

DELETED. Decided to stick with Pepperdine. Incredibly difficult decision but I think the right one for me.
Congrats on the decision. Now you get to relax and enjoy some freedom before sections come out and you start freaking out about school starting. As always, here to help. And since this is anonymous, I'll be wayyy more candid that I would be otherwise.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Yazzzay

Bronze

Post by Yazzzay » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:37 pm

KD35 wrote: Congrats on the decision. Now you get to relax and enjoy some freedom before sections come out and you start freaking out about school starting. As always, here to help. And since this is anonymous, I'll be wayyy more candid that I would be otherwise.
I am going to forever bug you with questions. Thanks for offering, and I apologize if they have been asked before!

1. How did your class seem to do in terms of 1L employment? Did everyone get something set up/paid/nonpaid/what they wanted?

2. Does it seem like your class is pretty happy (if you know), aka are people trying to transfer out?

3. I know a lot of people on here say don't prep, but do you have any advice on anything to do before law school? Admittedly I bought some E&Es, haven't opened them yet but realistically I think I could get through the 3 for our 1st sem classes: Torts, Contracts, and CivPro. Smart or stupid?

Thanks!

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:55 pm

Yazzzay wrote:
KD35 wrote: Congrats on the decision. Now you get to relax and enjoy some freedom before sections come out and you start freaking out about school starting. As always, here to help. And since this is anonymous, I'll be wayyy more candid that I would be otherwise.
I am going to forever bug you with questions. Thanks for offering, and I apologize if they have been asked before!

1. How did your class seem to do in terms of 1L employment? Did everyone get something set up/paid/nonpaid/what they wanted?

2. Does it seem like your class is pretty happy (if you know), aka are people trying to transfer out?

3. I know a lot of people on here say don't prep, but do you have any advice on anything to do before law school? Admittedly I bought some E&Es, haven't opened them yet but realistically I think I could get through the 3 for our 1st sem classes: Torts, Contracts, and CivPro. Smart or stupid?

Thanks!
In terms of employment: Everyone was able to find a job. First year jobs don't really matter, so long as they are going to be something legal in nature. The biggest recommendation I would have is not to just rely on Spring OCI/what the career development office says. Reach out and find some kind of job. Even if it is as a research assistant or working part time in a law firm, do something legal. You can start applying on December 1, and I recommend looking for jobs and applying then. Not a ton of people got paying jobs, and they are nice to get but they are often not as prestigious either.

Class is relatively happy. People are always trying to transfer out, regardless of the year. A lot of the times it is for employment prospects though. And only the top 10-15% transfer out (or at least should try and transfer out). Personally, I know that of the top 5 to 6 people (or at least my estimation of who the top 5 to 6 people are partially based on last semester grades and word around the campus): 1 is for sure transferring, 1 is up in the air, and at least 3 are for sure staying. So it is a mix. People tend to like the school as a whole. As far as the now 3Ls are concerned, they had a good amount of people transfer out (I think 12?) but had more transfer in. So it balanced out. In the most modest way possible, I am a 2L who has the opportunity to transfer to decent schools and I decided against it because Pepperdine seems to invest in those who do well in order to keep them.

If you want to go through E&Es, don't go through Civ Pro before the semester. Torts is a good class to be ahead on, both before the semester and during hte semester, because it is easy to understand. So if there was a class you'd read the E&Es for: that'd be it. Also, what I would really recommend is looking at the sections in the back of the E&Es and see some of the finals prep suggestions and what good essays/bad essays look like and what some sample exams look like. Knowing the sort of stuff tested on finals is really useful from the sense that you will know what is and is not important in class discussions. But that can also change based on the professor, so don't go too crazy on it. I read Battery/Assault/FI for Torts E&E beforehand, and I thought it was useful.
TL;DR is don't go crazy, do it in small portions and don't do CivPro. If you want to prep and have a good sense of what do to for a class, you'll have to wait until you know your professor and see what his/her teaching style is like.

Also, depending on your professor for CivPro, I'd recommend Acing Civ Pro. It is pretty cheap used and it is better geared for how that class is taught than the E&E.

Feel free to truly ask away on questions. I did well and I am more than happy to pass down whatever information I can provide to be useful because advice from upper classmen was HUGE for me.

burner

New

Post by burner » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:37 pm

Has there been any email communications from admissions office regarding the second deposit (amounts and date due)?

Yazzzay

Bronze

Post by Yazzzay » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:34 pm

burner wrote:Has there been any email communications from admissions office regarding the second deposit (amounts and date due)?
Just got an email an hour ago, $500 by July 1st.

And thanks a lot for the answers, KD35!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

burner

New

Post by burner » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:26 pm

Yeah I got the email too- figures it would happen right after I posted the question...

Shirosham

Bronze

Post by Shirosham » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:56 am

Was hoping for a bump but it looks like they stuck to no individual negotiations. Withdrawn, good luck to a waitlist!

rwinnstar

New

Post by rwinnstar » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:36 pm

Is anyone moving off of the waitlist? It seems like there was movement earlier in the year. I know someone who was waitlisted a couple of weeks ago. Just curious what the chances are looking like. :?:

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:16 pm

rwinnstar wrote:Is anyone moving off of the waitlist? It seems like there was movement earlier in the year. I know someone who was waitlisted a couple of weeks ago. Just curious what the chances are looking like. :?:
Generally, the closer it gets to the start date, then the less movement there will be. However, there will likely be some movement a bit after the final deposit is due because people will have withdrawn and Pepperdine will want to increase their numbers. This has proven true the past couple years, with a fair amount of people getting in around early to mid-August.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rwinnstar

New

Post by rwinnstar » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:29 pm

is final deposit due July 1st or in August?

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:23 am

rwinnstar wrote:is final deposit due July 1st or in August?
http://law.pepperdine.edu/admissions/ap ... n-process/

Looks like it is July 1. Obviously you still have to pay tuition fees at a later point but it looks like July 1 is the final deposit.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”