Pepperdine Class of 2017. Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
KD35

Silver

Re: Pepperdine Class of 2017.

Post by KD35 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:25 am

Yazzzay wrote:
krispymenudo wrote:

They haven't approved me into the group :[
Seems like they aren't approving anyone! I hope they aren't like looking through people's profiles or something haha....I got into one of my other school's groups in no time.
They should be approving now, one of my fellow 1Ls has been posting in there.

krispymenudo

Bronze

Post by krispymenudo » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:31 pm

Anyone negotiated their scholarship? I'm heavily on the fence between Pepperdine and ASU (deposited to Pep and thinking of depositing to ASU as well). Just wondering how to go about it/if they are open to negotiate.

Yazzzay

Bronze

Post by Yazzzay » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:53 am

Visiting soon, any point trying to negotiate? Has anyone been successful? Last Time I asked was a month ago and they said no because they have a system and don't up one person's money.

ALSO anyone still waiting to be approved? I saw they accepted loads...and not me haha my name on fbk isnt my full name, could that be it? I'm confused lol.

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:26 am

Yazzzay wrote:Visiting soon, any point trying to negotiate? Has anyone been successful? Last Time I asked was a month ago and they said no because they have a system and don't up one person's money.

ALSO anyone still waiting to be approved? I saw they accepted loads...and not me haha my name on fbk isnt my full name, could that be it? I'm confused lol.
Last year took a while for me to be accepted into the group. We are in finals and the admins are busy so there won't be anything really of use on there yet.

Yazzzay

Bronze

Post by Yazzzay » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:56 pm

KD35 wrote:
Yazzzay wrote:Visiting soon, any point trying to negotiate? Has anyone been successful? Last Time I asked was a month ago and they said no because they have a system and don't up one person's money.

Last year took a while for me to be accepted into the group. We are in finals and the admins are busy so there won't be anything really of use on there yet.
Okay that figures. I just noticed more and more people keep getting added each day and I haven't. Haha we'll see what happens. No rush I guess!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Finnick

New

Post by Finnick » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:40 pm

Yeah, they won't negotiate scholarships (including offers from other schools).

Yazzzay

Bronze

Post by Yazzzay » Sun May 18, 2014 9:39 pm

Anyone sign up for on campus housing?

I really dont want to but because of distance it's looking like the option that makes the most sense...are the rules strictly enforced?

Which leads to my next question, if I pay the $500 deposit, and find an off campus apt sometime before school, anyone know if its fully/partially refundable??

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Sun May 18, 2014 11:58 pm

Yazzzay wrote:Anyone sign up for on campus housing?

I really dont want to but because of distance it's looking like the option that makes the most sense...are the rules strictly enforced?

Which leads to my next question, if I pay the $500 deposit, and find an off campus apt sometime before school, anyone know if its fully/partially refundable??
I know that you can't be stupid about breaking the rules, it seems to be more strictly enforced than at other schools. The distance isn't really that bad. I lived 10-20 mins away from campus last year and it was great for decompressing after a day at school. And you go stir crazy if you are on campus for basically the whole year cuz you eat/sleep/study there.

And it is a deposit, which usually means completely non-refundable.

Yazzzay

Bronze

Post by Yazzzay » Mon May 19, 2014 7:15 am

KD35 wrote:

I know that you can't be stupid about breaking the rules, it seems to be more strictly enforced than at other schools. The distance isn't really that bad. I lived 10-20 mins away from campus last year and it was great for decompressing after a day at school. And you go stir crazy if you are on campus for basically the whole year cuz you eat/sleep/study there.

Woops ya I mean distance as in I live on the other side of the world and finding an apt without visiting isn't something I'd want to do. Still want to look into it but I don't think I can. Plus I'd love a roomie but can't imagine signing a lease not knowing someone...Ya I'm definitely into the idea of a 10-20 min commute, but we'll see. And the deposits to reserve spaces (april 15) were partially refundable for most schools by a certain date so wasn't sure if this housing deposit was like that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Tue May 20, 2014 5:11 am

Yazzzay wrote:
KD35 wrote:

Woops ya I mean distance as in I live on the other side of the world and finding an apt without visiting isn't something I'd want to do. Still want to look into it but I don't think I can. Plus I'd love a roomie but can't imagine signing a lease not knowing someone...Ya I'm definitely into the idea of a 10-20 min commute, but we'll see. And the deposits to reserve spaces (april 15) were partially refundable for most schools by a certain date so wasn't sure if this housing deposit was like that.
To be honest, you're going to get apartment mates and not know them when you live on campus as well. In fact you will be one of four, but I don't know many situations where on campus roommates didn't work out because everyone is so busy and stressed in their first year. There are huge benefits to living on campus, but there is also a huge downside. The person on the Pepperdine 2017 page that was talking about the two downsides (no sleepovers or alchy) really is enforced, but you have to have either dick roommates or be really obvious to get caught. I just didn't want to have to be treated like a freshman in college again. Regarding the deposit thing: Just call them. $500 is a good amount of money but you're spending $50k+ just for tuition alone, to help you keep things in perspective.

If you need places near campus, the cheapest/best value is Archstone Calabasas. Seriously, those places are really nice and I know someone who paid as little as 890 last year to have their own room. Usually 1900-2000 total for a 2 bedroom place, and they are sizable.

Yazzzay

Bronze

Post by Yazzzay » Wed May 21, 2014 5:58 am

KD35 wrote:
Yazzzay wrote:
KD35 wrote:

To be honest, you're going to get apartment mates and not know them when you live on campus as well. In fact you will be one of four, but I don't know many situations where on campus roommates didn't work out because everyone is so busy and stressed in their first year. There are huge benefits to living on campus, but there is also a huge downside. The person on the Pepperdine 2017 page that was talking about the two downsides (no sleepovers or alchy) really is enforced, but you have to have either dick roommates or be really obvious to get caught. I just didn't want to have to be treated like a freshman in college again. Regarding the deposit thing: Just call them. $500 is a good amount of money but you're spending $50k+ just for tuition alone, to help you keep things in perspective.

If you need places near campus, the cheapest/best value is Archstone Calabasas. Seriously, those places are really nice and I know someone who paid as little as 890 last year to have their own room. Usually 1900-2000 total for a 2 bedroom place, and they are sizable.

I visited Archstone- it was nice, my main issue was the drive. I understand it's not far, I'm just still a new driver and didn't like that road there at all, especially if I'd be driving it alone late at night. Lame, I know, but I don't think it's for me. I've been talking to mnay realtors for Malibu/Pacific Palisades, and they've been sending loads of 2 bedrooms when I'm most interested in a 1 bed/studio.

I'm sure the rules aren't the end all living on campus, but it's just ridiculous, plus 1 bathroom for 4 people is just silly. And I think if I pay the deposit in the next 2 days, I'm too late to search and find someone I like so I'll def get random. Agh.

Do you know any buildings or areas towards Pac Palisades that people live in? I know it's not many apts, just wondering though. Thanks for answering questions so far!

Finnick

New

Post by Finnick » Thu May 22, 2014 2:59 pm

Should we be doing anything in regards to financial aid? The only thing I've seen on the "to-do list" in our accounts is to do a credit check. Are they going to get in touch with us sometime soon to tell us what we need to do (in general and for acquiring loan funds) before August?

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Fri May 23, 2014 2:16 am

Finnick wrote:Should we be doing anything in regards to financial aid? The only thing I've seen on the "to-do list" in our accounts is to do a credit check. Are they going to get in touch with us sometime soon to tell us what we need to do (in general and for acquiring loan funds) before August?
Make sure you filed FAFSA. Basically whatever is on the to-do list is what you need to be doing, and loan/scholarship stuff will not come out for a while, if I remember correctly, because they are still trying to figure out who gets what scholarship amounts, and that affects what amount of loans you qualify for as well.
Yazzzay wrote:Do you know any buildings or areas towards Pac Palisades that people live in?
People who are in the Palisades often either lease a room (look at Craigslist & PlacesforStudents) or live in a house. I know of one, maybe 2 people who live in the Palisades and the consensus seems to be that is one of the more, if not the most, expensive area to live.

You will have better luck with studio apartments in Malibu, but those are really expensive. A lot of times you have to be looking for subletting from someone who happens to have a whole detached loft/studio at their place.

Also you need to consider, if you are living in SM, that there will be construction on PCH for a year. Granted you will go against traffic, but you will still hit a longer drive living in SM/Palisades than you normally would because of the construction.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

msallycat

New

Post by msallycat » Mon May 26, 2014 10:54 pm

Hey all, sorry to repost, but wanted to let you know that we still have a bedroom available in our 3+2.5 bedroom condo for summer sublet and/or next school year! I'm going to be a 2L and I know I had a heck of a time finding a place to live so hopefully we can help home a future 1L!

$769 + 1/3 utilities, really nice place in a great neighborhood, easy drive to school (11 mi), 2 cool roommates and 2 cool cats. we can even help furnish the room until the end of the year if you are interested. pretty quiet house during the week but we like to be social on the weekends (having people over for dinner, etc). The room shares a hall bath with 1 girl over the summer and 1 guy during the school year. get in touch for more info!

congrats on your acceptances! I was very happy with my choice to attend Pepperdine :)
alexandra

Yazzzay

Bronze

Post by Yazzzay » Tue May 27, 2014 4:24 pm

Two questions:

1. When is the 2nd deposit deadline? I think it's July 1, just double checking.

2. So I think I'm signing up for on-campus housing and I asked if I back out mid summer do I get my deposit back, which was a no, AND apparently the contract is binding so I have to get permission from the associate dean...? Any past students have experience with this? I seriously don't want on-campus but want to sign up at least to have somewhere to be if I can't find anything else. Why would it be binding?!

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Wed May 28, 2014 12:43 am

Yazzzay wrote:Two questions:

2. So I think I'm signing up for on-campus housing and I asked if I back out mid summer do I get my deposit back, which was a no, AND apparently the contract is binding so I have to get permission from the associate dean...? Any past students have experience with this? I seriously don't want on-campus but want to sign up at least to have somewhere to be if I can't find anything else. Why would it be binding?!
I believe it is binding because those apartments often are in high demand because they can be used by undergrads, that's where the married housing is, and then the law students. With so many people that want in there, they need to know who will live there so that they don't have some of the places sitting empty. PM me which associate dean you have to talk to, I can try to give you some feedback about them if I have any insight.

Also, you could try talking to any of the non 1st years in the Pepperdine Class of 2017 group that you have had a chance to talk with and you feel comfortable reaching out to...but obviously do not put this in the FB page itself!

Yazzzay

Bronze

Post by Yazzzay » Wed May 28, 2014 9:33 am

KD35 wrote:

I believe it is binding because those apartments often are in high demand because they can be used by undergrads, that's where the married housing is, and then the law students. With so many people that want in there, they need to know who will live there so that they don't have some of the places sitting empty. PM me which associate dean you have to talk to, I can try to give you some feedback about them if I have any insight.

Also, you could try talking to any of the non 1st years in the Pepperdine Class of 2017 group that you have had a chance to talk with and you feel comfortable reaching out to...but obviously do not put this in the FB page itself!
Ha thank you! Okay I reread the contract and although it says the only way to get out of the contract is withdrawal, it also says you can get permission if there is a waitlist, which I imagine into the summer there def will be. Going the continue the apt search. And thanks I will contact you about associate dean if I need to.

I wish the facebook page wasn't monitored by the deans and school officials...I don't really understand why it is, I think it should be a place for people to talk and get to know each other without being scrutinized, but whatever. That's why TLS exists I suppose.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Wed May 28, 2014 3:35 pm

Yazzzay wrote:
KD35 wrote:

Ha thank you! Okay I reread the contract and although it says the only way to get out of the contract is withdrawal, it also says you can get permission if there is a waitlist, which I imagine into the summer there def will be. Going the continue the apt search. And thanks I will contact you about associate dean if I need to.

I wish the facebook page wasn't monitored by the deans and school officials...I don't really understand why it is, I think it should be a place for people to talk and get to know each other without being scrutinized, but whatever. That's why TLS exists I suppose.
Once you find out your section and all of the groups start having section pages, the shit starts flying big time. Also, candid advice is best found by talking to 2Ls/3Ls privately anyway. The ones that are worth listening to likely are not the ones posting now or that will be posting later on a regular basis.

Yazzzay

Bronze

Post by Yazzzay » Fri May 30, 2014 6:56 pm

KD35 wrote:
Yazzzay wrote:
KD35 wrote:

Once you find out your section and all of the groups start having section pages, the shit starts flying big time. Also, candid advice is best found by talking to 2Ls/3Ls privately anyway. The ones that are worth listening to likely are not the ones posting now or that will be posting later on a regular basis.
Ok that sounds good haha and ya I assumed as much.

Yazzzay

Bronze

Post by Yazzzay » Fri May 30, 2014 6:57 pm

So looking at the fbk group and talking around, it looks like a good amount of people's scholarships got bumped. Has anyone petitioned them recently for more?

I got shot down a while back due to the whole 'we have a matrix to determine it with gpa/lsat' but now I'm confused as to why others have been increased...

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:16 am

Yazzzay wrote:So looking at the fbk group and talking around, it looks like a good amount of people's scholarships got bumped. Has anyone petitioned them recently for more?

I got shot down a while back due to the whole 'we have a matrix to determine it with gpa/lsat' but now I'm confused as to why others have been increased...
Did you come in with a scholarship? Because there likely will be a difference between those with scholarships who had theirs increased and someone with no money who then receives money. Also, last year I never had my money increased while others did (but that could have been the bracket that my scholarship fell within).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Yazzzay

Bronze

Post by Yazzzay » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:27 am

KD35 wrote:
Yazzzay wrote:So looking at the fbk group and talking around, it looks like a good amount of people's scholarships got bumped. Has anyone petitioned them recently for more?

Did you come in with a scholarship? Because there likely will be a difference between those with scholarships who had theirs increased and someone with no money who then receives money. Also, last year I never had my money increased while others did (but that could have been the bracket that my scholarship fell within).
Yes, I'm coming in with money. I'm above the LSAT median, below GPA median...I guess my bracket didn't get impacted but that seems rather stupid because the people I hear who got their money bumped went from 3/4 schol to even higher...? So idk. Did you ask them about it and try and get shot down or what?

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:29 pm

Yazzzay wrote:
KD35 wrote:

Yes, I'm coming in with money. I'm above the LSAT median, below GPA median...I guess my bracket didn't get impacted but that seems rather stupid because the people I hear who got their money bumped went from 3/4 schol to even higher...? So idk. Did you ask them about it and try and get shot down or what?
I guess I didn't give full amounts of information. I was pretty close to getting a full tuition scholarship. Lets say, for anonymity's sake, $40k+ a year. So I did not have much that I could go up.

Yazzzay

Bronze

Post by Yazzzay » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:55 pm

KD35 wrote:
Yazzzay wrote:
KD35 wrote:

I guess I didn't give full amounts of information. I was pretty close to getting a full tuition scholarship. Lets say, for anonymity's sake, $40k+ a year. So I did not have much that I could go up.
Ah ok! That's awesome haha.

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:21 am

Reposting to send a reminder to ask about any questions you have about coming in. It's still a bit early but if you have things you have questions about, better to ask now rather than later. I know sections haven't come out yet but any overall questions I'm more than happy to answer.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”