Temple Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
Agentsoapbox

Bronze

Temple Class of 2017

Post by Agentsoapbox » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:58 pm

Hey all,

I just got into Temple last week. With their generous aid, it looks highly likely I'll be in Philadelphia come fall. Truth be told, I got a crazy feeling years ago I'd end up here. Maybe I'm a prophet!

Let's get to know each other! Anyone else pumped about Beasley?

JazzieShizzle

Bronze

Re: Temple Class of 2017

Post by JazzieShizzle » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:34 pm

+1

yay Temple!

Agentsoapbox

Bronze

Post by Agentsoapbox » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:02 pm

Did you know, all of Temple University's classes were evening classes when it first opened, so that students had an opportunity to work during the day? This is why our mascot is the Owls.

Fun Fact!

devsfan428

New

Post by devsfan428 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:56 pm

Temple is one of my top choices. I currently live and work in DC, but I am originally from South Jersey, so being closer to home would be nice... plus Philly seems like a great city. The $30k Beasley scholarship doesn't hurt either. I also received a fully scholly from Villanova, so I'm torn between the two but am leaning towards Temple due to their higher usn ranking and better local reputation (based on the number of Temple grads working in large Philly firms).

darthktar

New

Post by darthktar » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:37 pm

I've been admitted to both Temple and Rutgers - Camden and am still waiting on other schools in the Philly area. I am torn between Temple and Rutgers but I think the ASD's will help solidify my decision. Anyone else in a similar situation?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jt262

New

Post by jt262 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:46 pm

Soon to be Temple Grad (unless I really screw up on finals) here. Let me know if anyone has questions.

JazzieShizzle

Bronze

Post by JazzieShizzle » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:10 am

jt262 wrote:Soon to be Temple Grad (unless I really screw up on finals) here. Let me know if anyone has questions.
Hey! Are you happy with your decision to go to Temple? Do you have a job lined up? Good luck with finals (in like 6 weeks)!

Mauve.Dino

Bronze

Post by Mauve.Dino » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:39 am

jt262 wrote:Soon to be Temple Grad (unless I really screw up on finals) here. Let me know if anyone has questions.
Hello, soon-to-be Temple grad! How are you and your classmates faring in terms of potential employment? Is everyone staying in Philly after graduation, and is anyone having trouble finding a job?

Thanks for your help, and good luck on exams :)

jt262

New

Post by jt262 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:13 pm

Mauve.Dino wrote:Hello, soon-to-be Temple grad! How are you and your classmates faring in terms of potential employment? Is everyone staying in Philly after graduation, and is anyone having trouble finding a job?
Most are staying in Philadelphia, some are taking clerkship positions in New Jersey. Most of us are taking both the PA and NJ bar exams. My understanding is that the vast majority of Temple grads stay near Philly. That's what I'm doing (even though I was offered a position in NYC).

The job market has improved quite a bit, but it is still rough. The vast majority of my friends have found jobs already. However, most of my friends are on law review, some other journal, moot court, or trial team. Somehow, I happened to become friends with all the smart people! So it might not be the best sample group.

At the same time, I know some very smart, hard working students haven't found employment yet. It's tough out there. But it's toughest for those who haven't really separated themselves from the pack.

Bottom line, you have to do well in school or find some other way of distinguishing yourself. Get good grades, be a great writer, develop contacts through internships, be in leadership in extracurriculars, kick ass as an advocate in moot court or trial team. You have to have something that will make you stand out from the crowd.

My friends at Drexel, Widener, Rutgers-Camden, and Villanova would likely tell you the same thing. (If anything, they have it worse) Sorry, I know that's not really encouraging, but it's the honest truth.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jt262

New

Post by jt262 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:37 pm

JazzieShizzle wrote:Are you happy with your decision to go to Temple? Do you have a job lined up?
Incredibly happy with my decision. I was offered my dream job. The same job I wanted when I came to law school. :D (PM me if you want more details) The Office of Career Services, one person there in particular, was instrumental in me getting hired.

Our writing program really is quite good (especially once you get into practice and realize how much crap is out there). The trial advocacy stuff really does prepare you. I've worked for three prosecutor's offices in the area and routinely go against seasoned defense attorneys. Rarely has something come up that's made me feel like I'm in over my head. I can thank Temple for all of that.

JazzieShizzle

Bronze

Post by JazzieShizzle » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:41 pm

jt262 wrote:
JazzieShizzle wrote:Are you happy with your decision to go to Temple? Do you have a job lined up?
Incredibly happy with my decision. I was offered my dream job. The same job I wanted when I came to law school. :D (PM me if you want more details) The Office of Career Services, one person there in particular, was instrumental in me getting hired.

Our writing program really is quite good (especially once you get into practice and realize how much crap is out there). The trial advocacy stuff really does prepare you. I've worked for three prosecutor's offices in the area and routinely go against seasoned defense attorneys. Rarely has something come up that's made me feel like I'm in over my head. I can thank Temple for all of that.
Awesome, congrats! And yes, I absolutely will be sending a PM your way! :)

DrZo35

New

Post by DrZo35 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:02 pm

Hey, Everyone! I am from the West Chester suburb about 35 minutes from Philly. I applied to 15 schools, and I was accepted to all of them, which makes me extremely happy. These schools included: Pitt, Nova, Temple, and Penn State. Although I received generous offers from all of the schools, I am leaning towards Temple and Nova (more towards Temple). My scholarship offers at each school are as follows:

Pitt: In-state tuition 29k - 14k Scholarship = 15k a year
Temple: In-State tuition 20k - 10k scholarship = 10k a year
Nova: Tuition 38k - 25k scholarship = 13k a year
Penn State: 42k tuition - 20k scholarship = 22k a year

In all cases, money is not an issue because I had scholarships throughout UG, so my debt is next to nothing. Instead, my main concern is job placement, environment, academics, and overall experience at these schools. Consequently, I am in dilemma about which law school to choose. I am posting in the Temple forum because I am interested to hear what other prospective Temple students have read/heard/learned about Temple Law or any other PA schools for that matter. I would appreciate any feedback or comments regarding these aspects. Thank you!!! :)

JazzieShizzle

Bronze

Post by JazzieShizzle » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:45 pm

DrZo35 wrote:Hey, Everyone! I am from the West Chester suburb about 35 minutes from Philly. I applied to 15 schools, and I was accepted to all of them, which makes me extremely happy. These schools included: Pitt, Nova, Temple, and Penn State. Although I received generous offers from all of the schools, I am leaning towards Temple and Nova (more towards Temple). My scholarship offers at each school are as follows:

In all cases, money is not an issue because I had scholarships throughout UG, so my debt is next to nothing. Instead, my main concern is job placement, environment, academics, and overall experience at these schools. Consequently, I am in dilemma about which law school to choose. I am posting in the Temple forum because I am interested to hear what other prospective Temple students have read/heard/learned about Temple Law or any other PA schools for that matter. I would appreciate any feedback or comments regarding these aspects. Thank you!!! :)
Hey DrZo! What do you want to do and where do you want to work? Right now I'm between Nova and Temple, leaning more towards Temple. I'm visiting both this weekend, so I'm hoping I'll have a clear answer soon. (I didn't apply to the other schools on your list)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

devsfan428

New

Post by devsfan428 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:03 am

Temple just released their employment data for the class of 2013. Thoughts?

http://www.law.temple.edu/documents/Car ... t_2013.pdf

Agentsoapbox

Bronze

Post by Agentsoapbox » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:25 am

DrZo35 wrote:Hey, Everyone! I am from the West Chester suburb about 35 minutes from Philly. I applied to 15 schools, and I was accepted to all of them, which makes me extremely happy. These schools included: Pitt, Nova, Temple, and Penn State. Although I received generous offers from all of the schools, I am leaning towards Temple and Nova (more towards Temple). My scholarship offers at each school are as follows:

You definitely must visit Temple to see if it's right for you. I'm going to be at the Admitted Students Day tomorrow. I am torn between Temple and UMiami. Spent all day at UMiami yesterday, I fly out to Philadelphia tonight. Lets see if Temple can sell themselves to me and close the deal!

jt262

New

Post by jt262 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:34 pm

DrZo35 wrote: Instead, my main concern is job placement, environment, academics, and overall experience at these schools. Consequently, I am in dilemma about which law school to choose. I am posting in the Temple forum because I am interested to hear what other prospective Temple students have read/heard/learned about Temple Law or any other PA schools for that matter. I would appreciate any feedback or comments regarding these aspects. Thank you!!! :)
Temple 3L here... let me try to answer some of these.

1. Job placement - The economy is tough for all the schools you mention. It's probably going to be fairly even amongst the four of them. What most 0L's don't discuss much is that unless you are going to UPenn, then your job placement is really going to be about you. If you work hard, develop contacts, and become a good advocate and writer at any of those schools then you'll find a job.

2. Environment - I guarantee that there will be awesome people at any of the schools you listed. There will also likely be dicks. :)

3. Academics - Again, probably be a pretty even experience (depending on what you want to go into). I'm biased, but I think Temple is better for trial advocacy. I've gone against some of the other schools in trial competitions and we just seemed like we were trained better. That doesn't mean that 3 months in actual practice won't totally level the playing field though. :)

4. Overall Experience - I loved Temple. Possibly the best decision I have ever made.

mach9zero

Bronze

Post by mach9zero » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:11 pm

Temple just got back to me about financial aid, and it looks like the numbers work out alright and I'll be an Owl come next semester :P

I'm from sNJ and work in Langhorne, planned on practicing in Philly. I'll definitely be looking for a roommate as things get closer to the summer, and if anyone has any questions about Philly, finding housing, or neighborhoods definitely let me know.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JazzieShizzle

Bronze

Post by JazzieShizzle » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:41 pm

woot
Last edited by JazzieShizzle on Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SolidSolendon

New

Post by SolidSolendon » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:40 am

Super excited to attend Temple this fall. I went to their last accepted student's day the 14th and loved everything about it.

zerocool

New

Post by zerocool » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:29 pm

Officially going to Temple!!!

See you all in August!!!

x7227

Bronze

Post by x7227 » Mon May 05, 2014 3:20 am

Graduating 3L here. Happy to answer any questions you might have on all topics Temple/Philly/Law School in general...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Mon May 05, 2014 3:58 am

Hey guys! Just wanted to let you guys know that for any of you that have made decisions, please post in the TLS Class of 2017 thread, since no one from Temple has posted in there yet!

Also I did part of undergrad at Temple, so if anyone has any questions about Philly, the area, or the school in general, feel free to PM me. I really love Temple, it's definitely a fun place so when you're not busy there's always stuff going on.

stressed2010

New

Post by stressed2010 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:05 pm

X

TUICE

New

Post by TUICE » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:35 pm

Hey guys, rising 2L at TU. Fire away if you have any questions. you can also PM me if you want

10romeom

New

Post by 10romeom » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:31 pm

Can anyone sell me on Temple? I was locked and loaded with villanova, signed a lease in Bryn Mawr, and then Temple offered me a Full Ride (to match Nova.) I would make the jump but i'm wary of commuting from bryn mawr everyday via regional rail. Thoughts?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”