Wake Forest Law Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
Shirosham

Bronze

Re: Wake Forest Law Class of 2017

Post by Shirosham » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:42 pm

1) What banks are people using out there? I have Chase but there's none within 30 miles of my zip...
2) Best place for a haircut? :D

fordpaul

New

Post by fordpaul » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:16 pm

So, I just made a very happy and last minute decision to come to WFU. My fiancee and I are very excited!

Question: What things (other than deposits) do we need to have done by now? We have a place to live, I've paid my deposits, I know I have to get the immunization proof health form. What else?

We'll be living about ten minutes' drive from campus in a condo at Lytchfield Place. Won't be walkable to school (~5mi), however, I plan to bike and buy a parking pass. Are y'all planning on getting the off campus or splurging for the on campus? I called and was told that off campus is ~7 minute walk to the Law Center and on campus is ~2 minutes.

Oh, and congratulations to all of you! I look forward to meeting you soon.

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:38 pm

Congrats and welcome!

I think you need to get the Dean's cert form done by August 1 but it doesn't seem like much else. You from NC?

apb10

New

Post by apb10 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:39 pm

cricketlove00 wrote:
You're there already?!?!? So jealous dude. I have 26 days.
The few days I've spent there have been awesome. I think it was a great decision to at least live my first year there. I haven't moved in just yet, only moved my things and set the apartment up. I can't wait to get completely moved in.
Shirosham wrote:1) What banks are people using out there? I have Chase but there's none within 30 miles of my zip...
I'm not sure which bank is definitely the best, I just got an account at BB&T and it seemed pretty nice and convenient plus some free banking for students. As a disclaimer, I didn't check too many out, but I personally preferred them over Bank of America. I can't speak too much about it yet or what everyone else does, but the headquarters is in Winston-Salem and they looked like they had a good amount of branches in nc.

fordpaul wrote:So, I just made a very happy and last minute decision to come to WFU. My fiancee and I are very excited!

Question: What things (other than deposits) do we need to have done by now? We have a place to live, I've paid my deposits, I know I have to get the immunization proof health form. What else?

We'll be living about ten minutes' drive from campus in a condo at Lytchfield Place. Won't be walkable to school (~5mi), however, I plan to bike and buy a parking pass. Are y'all planning on getting the off campus or splurging for the on campus? I called and was told that off campus is ~7 minute walk to the Law Center and on campus is ~2 minutes.

Oh, and congratulations to all of you! I look forward to meeting you soon.
Congrats, man! Looking forward to getting to know everyone as well. For myself, I'll probably just give in and get the on campus one since it looks less of a hassle. I think we've got a few other things due besides those things, like the final transcript and dean certification, meet the healthcare requirement or fill out the healthcare waiver, and the photo for our IDs. Here is our to do list in case you haven't seen it: http://newstudents.law.wfu.edu/category/to-do-list/

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:00 pm

I feel weird that I literally have to take a selfie and send it to them for my ID card. Kim K butt shot or duck lips?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hailcaesar34

Gold

Post by hailcaesar34 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:25 pm

cricketlove00 wrote:I feel weird that I literally have to take a selfie and send it to them for my ID card. Kim K butt shot or duck lips?
lol. I was lazy and used my LSAC photo

sunnyd101

New

Post by sunnyd101 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:38 am

I apologize if this has been asked before, but is there a way to get Microsoft Office/Word through the library or are we stuck having to buy it?

sunnyd101

New

Post by sunnyd101 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:44 am

hailcaesar34 wrote:
cricketlove00 wrote:I feel weird that I literally have to take a selfie and send it to them for my ID card. Kim K butt shot or duck lips?
I didn't realize we had to upload our own photo. My life just got immensely more awkward.

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:41 pm

sunnyd101 wrote:
hailcaesar34 wrote:
I didn't realize we had to upload our own photo. My life just got immensely more awkward.
Did mine at work today. People were staring. Yolo.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fordpaul

New

Post by fordpaul » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:43 pm

Thank you all for the responses. I'm working my way through the to-do list.

Long story on the last minute change, but fiancee and I are very happy about it. Not from NC; moving down from NH the first week of August. We should be in W-S the first few days of August.

As for he/she who inquired about beer, Foothills is a great brewery right in W-S. Fiancee starts work on the 11th and since we don't start until the 15th, I'll have some time to kill during the day. What do people here say to a meet up at Foothills or somewhere else for lunch one day during the 11th-14th? It'll be nice to know a couple names at orientation.

I'm Brad, by the way.

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:55 pm

Hey Brad.

I'm sure there will be tons of us around if you want to get together before orientation. And yeah - some of us TLSers met at Foothills at admitted student day :)

Ghost Bear

New

Post by Ghost Bear » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:00 am

I am going to make Cricket my ambassador on this.

Anyone who is in Winston now, or will be before classes is more than welcome to contact me for drinks, dinner, bbq, or anything else they need as they settle in. It's good to have a network in place before classes, I was lucky to have Incubaetus, and I would like to return the favor for others. PM me and I'll give you my email. I am doing a BBQ at my house on Sunday the 27th for anyone who wants to join.

BTW - They take photos during orientation that you can use for your IDs

Best,

Ghost

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:43 pm

Ghost Bear wrote:I am going to make Cricket my ambassador on this.

Anyone who is in Winston now, or will be before classes is more than welcome to contact me for drinks, dinner, bbq, or anything else they need as they settle in. It's good to have a network in place before classes, I was lucky to have Incubaetus, and I would like to return the favor for others. PM me and I'll give you my email. I am doing a BBQ at my house on Sunday the 27th for anyone who wants to join.

BTW - They take photos during orientation that you can use for your IDs

Best,

Ghost
Wish I could make it dude.

What do my duties include as ambassador?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Incubateus

Bronze

Post by Incubateus » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:34 am

Same thing goes for me as for Ghostbear, if you have a question feel free to PM me, and once I'm in Winston if you want to grab a drink and just meet up give me a holler.

hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Post by hipcatdaddio » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:21 pm

Shirosham wrote:1) What banks are people using out there? I have Chase but there's none within 30 miles of my zip...
Hey WFU 2017! I'm actually in UNC 2017, but as a long-time NC resident and somebody who heavily considered WFU for both UG and law school, I enjoy lurking around the threads for the nearby schools. Anyways, the most popular banks in NC are Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and BB&T. All of these are headquartered in NC and have branches throughout the state and nearby states. PNC is another solid choice, but not quite as many branches. I do believe BB&T offers some special deals for students of Wake Forest much like Wells Fargo offers UNC students. Hope this is helpful, and sorry to invade your board. If nobody has said it yet, welcome to North Carolina and I hope y'all enjoy your time here :D

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:18 pm

Dudes I want to know my section so bad.

abrahm

New

Post by abrahm » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:06 am

Anyone have an idea when we will be getting our textbook list?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:25 am

abrahm wrote:Anyone have an idea when we will be getting our textbook list?
Probably when we know our sections?

Ghost Bear

New

Post by Ghost Bear » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:28 am

cricketlove00 wrote:

What do my duties include as ambassador?
Get people to hang out before classes start!

dstars823

Bronze

Post by dstars823 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:47 am

your best bet on banks is Wells Fargo, Suntrust or BB&T. (I prefer suntrust cause they reimburse ATM fees)

dstars823

Bronze

Post by dstars823 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:50 am

Hey guys,

I work for one of the big firms (theres only 2) here in Winston and if you guys had any questions on what its like to work a summer in Winston feel free to PM me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:47 pm

Whoa that email.

apb10

New

Post by apb10 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:58 pm

Thanks all for the offers to meet up before classes start. I'll probably drop you guys a line later next week or so once I get moved in.

And that email was really surprising. For those who haven't seen it, they're currently over enrolled and they're offering additional scholarship money and more to those who defer until next year. It said it caps out at full tuition, but they would also offer a discount on the MSL program if one were interested.

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:16 pm

I would've considered it if it were sent earlier but I literally just quit my job today

AT9

Gold

Post by AT9 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:44 pm

They did this last year too. One of the posters (who I won't name without permission) took them up last year.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”