University of Miami Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
tampadave

New

University of Miami Class of 2017

Post by tampadave » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:50 pm

Open for comments.

Agentsoapbox

Bronze

Re: University of Miami Class of 2017

Post by Agentsoapbox » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:55 am

Just checking in. I was accepted to UM. Luckily I live nearby. Let's see what money they throw at me. If it's good I'll stick around! best of luck.

foundingfather

Silver

Post by foundingfather » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:37 am

Checking in, I'm still deciding between UM and UF but I will be attending the ASW.

I live nearby as well so there's a good chance I'll be attending the U.

js123

New

Post by js123 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:43 am

Just curious, what was the response time on your apps?

foundingfather

Silver

Post by foundingfather » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:51 pm

js123 wrote:Just curious, what was the response time on your apps?
About a month or so. Maybe a bit longer; I do remember being quite anxious for quite some time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tampadave

New

Post by tampadave » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:08 pm

Per status checker: Application complete February 4th. Admission offered February 10th. The acceptance letter was dated February 12th. Still waiting for word on a merit scholarship, if any.

Per status checker: FIU rendered an admissions decision within 24 hours. They included a $47,000 scholarship offer in the acceptance letter.

Agentsoapbox

Bronze

Post by Agentsoapbox » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:24 pm

tampadave wrote:Per status checker: Application complete February 4th. Admission offered February 10th. The acceptance letter was dated February 12th. Still waiting for word on a merit scholarship, if any.

Per status checker: FIU rendered an admissions decision within 24 hours. They included a $47,000 scholarship offer in the acceptance letter.
Is that 47k a year? or over three years?

I am completely confused. UM gave me 30k. Temple gave me 30k. Pepperdine gave me 25K. I got into FIU but they just gave me 5K? I don't understand. It's the lowest ranked school I applied to. I love FIU. I really wanted to consider them but at just 5k, they're taking themselves out of the running.

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:10 am

Agentsoapbox wrote:
tampadave wrote:Per status checker: Application complete February 4th. Admission offered February 10th. The acceptance letter was dated February 12th. Still waiting for word on a merit scholarship, if any.

Is that 47k a year? or over three years?

I am completely confused. UM gave me 30k. Temple gave me 30k. Pepperdine gave me 25K. I got into FIU but they just gave me 5K? I don't understand. It's the lowest ranked school I applied to. I love FIU. I really wanted to consider them but at just 5k, they're taking themselves out of the running.
Probably because of the in state tuition. I'm still deciding between UM, Mercer and hopefully FSU but they take sooo long to respond. UM has been my top choice all cycle long because it's close to home, the public interest opportunities they offer and I really don't want to leave So. FLA but Mercer made things really interesting when they offered a large scholly. I got in at FIU also but only got $2500 so they're not really high on my list. UM is still top choice for now although I got no scholly but my parents will be helping out quite a bit

Mr.Esquire

New

Post by Mr.Esquire » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:35 pm

Any Soia Mentschikoff recipients?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mr.Esquire

New

Post by Mr.Esquire » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:14 am

Or any other full tuition scholars?

foundingfather

Silver

Post by foundingfather » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:30 am

Mr.Esquire wrote:Or any other full tuition scholars?
not full tuition but 90k checking in.

Agentsoapbox

Bronze

Post by Agentsoapbox » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:56 pm

90K here too. But got similar aid at Temple with better stips. Checking out Temple this weekend for ASD... may be withdrawing from UM, as much as it breaks my heart!

Natty28

New

Post by Natty28 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:01 am

How long did it take for them to get back to you with that award? Would you mind if I asked what your stats are?

Also, does anyone know if umiami negotiates at all. FIU gave me a 75% award and I know that they're much lower ranked....thoughts?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Agentsoapbox

Bronze

Post by Agentsoapbox » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:26 am

I did my undergrad at FIU. I have a 3.28 with a 161 LSAT, nothing special really...

Interestingly enough, FIU gave me only 5k a year.

UM accepted me about 2 weeks after I submitted my application. I assumed they'd only give me 10k a year which would make it unattainable. I dismissed them, then I got a call a week or two later letting me know that I got the dean merit's scholarship.

Right now it's between Temple University and UM. I'm going to Temple's ASD this weekend and then hopefully the decision will be clearer.

Not a URM, no extra curriculars. No legacy. Also applied late in the cycle. My first app was to UM in the beginning of Feb.

best of luck!

MisterGabriel

New

Post by MisterGabriel » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:40 am

Got in 03-13 via status checker.

Still hesitant about committing my deposit, as I haven't received any scholly offers but i'll be attending law day on the 21st.

My numbers certainly don't warrant a full scholarship, but I figure at least 50%. (159/3.1) Anyone else in the same position?

raininthedesert

Bronze

Post by raininthedesert » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:43 am

Agentsoapbox wrote:I did my undergrad at FIU. I have a 3.28 with a 161 LSAT, nothing special really...

Interestingly enough, FIU gave me only 5k a year.

UM accepted me about 2 weeks after I submitted my application. I assumed they'd only give me 10k a year which would make it unattainable. I dismissed them, then I got a call a week or two later letting me know that I got the dean merit's scholarship.

Right now it's between Temple University and UM. I'm going to Temple's ASD this weekend and then hopefully the decision will be clearer.

Not a URM, no extra curriculars. No legacy. Also applied late in the cycle. My first app was to UM in the beginning of Feb.

best of luck!

Temple is located in a horrendous area. Kudos to you if you can spend 3 years living in that area.

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:58 am

Did anyone else go to UM's ASD? I was pretty impressed with how open the alumni were to network. UM is definitely top choice for me

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MisterGabriel

New

Post by MisterGabriel » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:31 am

Young Marino wrote:Did anyone else go to UM's ASD? I was pretty impressed with how open the alumni were to network. UM is definitely top choice for me
I went. Although, I had a completely different experience. The students seemed very childish - not serious law students. The library was a shit hole, to put it nicely. The dean spoke for about 10 minutes, answered a couple questions and booked it out the door.

Undoubtedly, UM is still the "best" law school in Miami, however, that is likely to change in the near future.

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:28 am

MisterGabriel wrote:
Young Marino wrote:Did anyone else go to UM's ASD? I was pretty impressed with how open the alumni were to network. UM is definitely top choice for me
I went. Although, I had a completely different experience. The students seemed very childish - not serious law students. The library was a shit hole, to put it nicely. The dean spoke for about 10 minutes, answered a couple questions and booked it out the door.

Undoubtedly, UM is still the "best" law school in Miami, however, that is likely to change in the near future.
Yeah the students giving the tour seemed a bit immature but the students on the panel were pretty helpful. What did you think about the "mock class"? It was really hard for me to pay attention since I was all the way in the back and had a hard time hearing the professor.

foundingfather

Silver

Post by foundingfather » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:51 am

Young Marino wrote:
MisterGabriel wrote:

Yeah the students giving the tour seemed a bit immature but the students on the panel were pretty helpful. What did you think about the "mock class"? It was really hard for me to pay attention since I was all the way in the back and had a hard time hearing the professor.
It was hard to pay attention during the mock class. And lol @ people gunning during mock class

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:59 am

foundingfather wrote:
Young Marino wrote:
MisterGabriel wrote:

It was hard to pay attention during the mock class. And lol @ people gunning during mock class
Lol yea dude I was like why the fuck are these guys gunning right now?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MisterGabriel

New

Post by MisterGabriel » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:05 am

Were you sitting next to your father? If so, I was sitting one row down to your right. Right on top of the bald guy gunning the hell out of that mock class. :lol:

foundingfather

Silver

Post by foundingfather » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:46 am

MisterGabriel wrote:Were you sitting next to your father? If so, I was sitting one row down to your right. Right on top of the bald guy gunning the hell out of that mock class. :lol:
I went solo. The bald guy was pretty funny, but I remember some kid in a vest or something trying to sound like he was already valedictorian.

dsamuels

Bronze

Post by dsamuels » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:44 pm

Whats good!!! I just got in! I see you guys have had a chance to visit. What are you guys thinking about the campus, professors, living situation etc?

crisgcia

New

Post by crisgcia » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:54 pm

I was really impressed by ASW, particularly the extensive involvement of UM in getting their graduates jobs. Right now it's my #1 choice just because of how it places locally vs. other schools.

And vest guy's gonna have some real problems making friends if he keeps up that attitude.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”