Northwestern AJD Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

Current AJD students: What was the most important factor in your decision?

Lower opportunity cost
54%
More mature, experienced student body
21%
Job placement
11%
Personal reasons
14%

Total votes: 28

kcdc1

Silver

Re: Northwestern AJD Class of 2016

Post by kcdc1 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:24 am

Fellow IP people--bidding for LPF interview slots runs from April 15-May 1. I know I want to work in DC or California after graduation, but I know little about DC firms and nothing about California firms. I will call the career services office about how to handle my bidding strategy, and hopefully they will have a lot of helpful information. To supplement any information the career services office might have, would any '15 or '16 AJD's mind sharing how they went about researching and bidding for LPF?

kcdc1

Silver

Post by kcdc1 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:49 pm

Spoke to career services today. No great insights to share, but I did learn that applicant "bidding" doesn't matter much. Employers review resumes and pick candidates they're interested in, so the applicant's bid order preference does not factor into anything. The only constraint from the applicant side would be if you don't have enough bids to cover all the firms that interest you.

deuceindc

Bronze

Post by deuceindc » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:09 pm

Sorry I'm late to the party, but I just got admitted off the WL.

Filling out the FinAid forms today, but hopefully the money's right and I'll be seeing y'all in 6 weeks!

Also: fuck, I have 6 weeks to move to Chicago.

kcdc1

Silver

Post by kcdc1 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:03 pm

Congrats! Feel free to PM me if you have questions for fellow admitted students that you'd rather not post here.

pompoms

Bronze

Post by pompoms » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:07 pm

Congrats, deuce!

Can we all talk about this Matriculation Guide for a min? For one, it says we won't know what books we will need until we get our course schedule and section. However, both of those things are referenced in the guide... I just don't want to pay full price for those puppies - any idea when we might hear about what we need?

Also, holy typos. Positive thoughts.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NUAJD15

New

Post by NUAJD15 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:00 pm

Lucky for you, you know what section you're in. If you log into http://www.northwestern.edu/caesar/ and have a look at the course schedule, you're in every course that has a section 10. At some point in the next month or so, you'll be able to find your casebooks under "Textbooks" at http://abbotthall.bncollege.com/ by entering the course numbers. Looking at my Amazon order history, I ordered mine toward the end of April. Even once the other classes announce books, nothing will show up for Property because Prof. Francis does not assign a casebook.

Others may see this differently, but I'd recommend buying the books and not renting them. If you're anything like me, you'll want to scribble in them and beat them to hell without having to worry about how they look at the end of the summer. The cost difference just isn't worth it.

pompoms

Bronze

Post by pompoms » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:46 am

NUAJD15 wrote:Lucky for you, you know what section you're in. If you log into http://www.northwestern.edu/caesar/ and have a look at the course schedule, you're in every course that has a section 10. At some point in the next month or so, you'll be able to find your casebooks under "Textbooks" at http://abbotthall.bncollege.com/ by entering the course numbers. Looking at my Amazon order history, I ordered mine toward the end of April. Even once the other classes announce books, nothing will show up for Property because Prof. Francis does not assign a casebook.

Others may see this differently, but I'd recommend buying the books and not renting them. If you're anything like me, you'll want to scribble in them and beat them to hell without having to worry about how they look at the end of the summer. The cost difference just isn't worth it.
Thanks so much for the help! Did you buy them all on Amazon? Were they significantly cheaper? Did you opt for older editions if they were a lot cheaper and then supplement the added cases with other resources?

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:12 am

Admitted AJD's PM me if you want a spreadsheet of the summer class schedule with course numbers, times, and professors.

pompoms

Bronze

Post by pompoms » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:58 am

mirroroferised7 wrote:Admitted AJD's PM me if you want a spreadsheet of the summer class schedule with course numbers, times, and professors.
Heart you already.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:32 pm

pompoms wrote:
mirroroferised7 wrote:Admitted AJD's PM me if you want a spreadsheet of the summer class schedule with course numbers, times, and professors.
Heart you already.

aluckygirl21

New

Post by aluckygirl21 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:10 pm

Me 2
Thanks a lot!
pompoms wrote:
Heart you already.

aluckygirl21

New

Post by aluckygirl21 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:25 pm

For the Loyola patent fair or PLIP (whatever you like to call) this year, those who registered should have received the access info to the Simplicity website for participation and bidding by now. The student bidding deadline is May 1. So, we have about 2 weeks to research and bid.

The website requests uploading at least one Law School Transcript before one can start bidding. However, incoming AJDs of class 2016 won't have any grades until mid-summer term in July. Does anyone know how the upper class handled this issue last year?

Thanks!

kcdc1

Silver

Post by kcdc1 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:03 pm

PLIP people: anyone want to do a resume swap? I'd like to see how others are formatting this "I'm a 2L, but I'm not exactly in law school yet," thing. PM me if interested.

I also understand that we'll need to draft a cover letter explaining our status in the AJD program and why we do not have a transcript. If any current AJD's would be willing to share advice (or drafts) on the topic, it would be very helpful.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NUAJD15

New

Post by NUAJD15 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:20 pm

pompoms wrote: Thanks so much for the help! Did you buy them all on Amazon? Were they significantly cheaper? Did you opt for older editions if they were a lot cheaper and then supplement the added cases with other resources?
I did buy them all on Amazon. Some were significantly cheaper, some were not. That said, none ended up costing more than they would have at the bookstore.

Definitely, definitely buy the correct edition. You don't want to be messing around with trying to figure out where your edition is different from the one the professor is using. Supplementing with outside materials doesn't really work either, since 1) you don't know how the case has been abridged for the casebook and 2) you won't have the notes. It's worth the money.

pompoms

Bronze

Post by pompoms » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:00 am

NUAJD15 wrote:
pompoms wrote: Thanks so much for the help! Did you buy them all on Amazon? Were they significantly cheaper? Did you opt for older editions if they were a lot cheaper and then supplement the added cases with other resources?
I did buy them all on Amazon. Some were significantly cheaper, some were not. That said, none ended up costing more than they would have at the bookstore.

Definitely, definitely buy the correct edition. You don't want to be messing around with trying to figure out where your edition is different from the one the professor is using. Supplementing with outside materials doesn't really work either, since 1) you don't know how the case has been abridged for the casebook and 2) you won't have the notes. It's worth the money.
Awesome - thanks for your guidance!

elcali

New

Post by elcali » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:54 am

:D
Last edited by elcali on Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:03 pm

NUAJD15 wrote:Lucky for you, you know what section you're in. If you log into http://www.northwestern.edu/caesar/ and have a look at the course schedule, you're in every course that has a section 10. At some point in the next month or so, you'll be able to find your casebooks under "Textbooks" at http://abbotthall.bncollege.com/ by entering the course numbers. Looking at my Amazon order history, I ordered mine toward the end of April. Even once the other classes announce books, nothing will show up for Property because Prof. Francis does not assign a casebook.

I've tried the abotthoall link and the summer classes for the law school aren't listed under the departments yet. Should I give it a few more weeks? Our pre-matriculation guide says to check the course syllabuses on CEASAR... but I haven't had any luck there either.

ETA: Derp. You have to change from Summer Quarter to LAW Summer... that fixes everything... But the course materials are still "pending". So, for all the other gunners out there, save your time.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

elcali

New

Post by elcali » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:42 pm

:P

MrHart

New

Post by MrHart » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:44 pm

kcdc1 wrote:PLIP people: anyone want to do a resume swap? I'd like to see how others are formatting this "I'm a 2L, but I'm not exactly in law school yet," thing. PM me if interested.

I also understand that we'll need to draft a cover letter explaining our status in the AJD program and why we do not have a transcript. If any current AJD's would be willing to share advice (or drafts) on the topic, it would be very helpful.
I don't have any advice on the cover letter issue as we didn't need to write one. But you might want to ping career services. I think a boilerplate answer is best: "I am enrolled in the Accelerated JD program at Northwestern University, a two-year JD program that commenced in May 2014. At this time, I have not yet received a transcript with relevant law school grades." Or something similar to that...

I'd be willing to share my PLIP resume with enrolled patent-interested AJDs. PM me with your email address and actual name.

MrHart

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:45 pm

How's everybody doing slogging through all the pre-orientation requirements? I had to get stupid tetanus shot :P

pompoms

Bronze

Post by pompoms » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:03 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:How's everybody doing slogging through all the pre-orientation requirements? I had to get stupid tetanus shot :P
The form you're referencing has taken over my life. I have had to call like 5 different doctor's offices to get this done and it's still not finished. Here's hoping next week.

Oh, also, the CAESAR system had a catastrophic error when I tried to accept my loans. It was touch and go there for a while. I convinced myself I was no longer going to be able to attend considering the system told me I no longer had aid.

So, yeah, it's going well.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

captainplanet

Bronze

Post by captainplanet » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:06 pm

aluckygirl21 wrote:For the Loyola patent fair or PLIP (whatever you like to call) this year, those who registered should have received the access info to the Simplicity website for participation and bidding by now. The student bidding deadline is May 1. So, we have about 2 weeks to research and bid.

The website requests uploading at least one Law School Transcript before one can start bidding. However, incoming AJDs of class 2016 won't have any grades until mid-summer term in July. Does anyone know how the upper class handled this issue last year?

Thanks!
I had a similar situation with a different job fair last year and the career office advised me to upload a document formatted like my resume at the top (name, contact info) with an explanation like this: I am currently in my first semester of the Accelerated Juris Doctor (AJD) program at Northwestern University School of Law and will earn grades in mid-August. The AJD program allows students to earn a JD in five semesters over two years while taking the same number of credits as three-year students. I will forward my unofficial transcript upon receipt.

That's probably what you'll need to do but I recommend reaching out to the career office to ask them what you should do.

180asBreath

Bronze

Post by 180asBreath » Wed May 07, 2014 8:23 am

Hey, does anyone have the list of all the books we will need for the summer semesters?

Thanks.

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Wed May 07, 2014 11:32 am

180asBreath wrote:Hey, does anyone have the list of all the books we will need for the summer semesters?

Thanks.
The list is on the abbotthall website, as per these posts:
mirroroferised7 wrote:

I've tried the abotthoall link and the summer classes for the law school aren't listed under the departments yet. Should I give it a few more weeks? Our pre-matriculation guide says to check the course syllabuses on CEASAR... but I haven't had any luck there either.

ETA: Derp. You have to change from Summer Quarter to LAW Summer... that fixes everything... But the course materials are still "pending". So, for all the other gunners out there, save your time.

JD/PhD_in_Chicago

New

Post by JD/PhD_in_Chicago » Wed May 07, 2014 5:45 pm

Hey all! My name is Steve and I am an incoming NU AJD student. Thanks for the info on the books we need for the summer semesters -- I just bought everything I need on Half.com for around $530; how'd I do? :)

As a quick intro, I'm a 5th year PhD student in Comparative Human Development at the University of Chicago; I have finished all of my coursework and teaching requirements, and will only need to spend some time finishing up my dissertation while at NU.

Thanks again for the info and I look forward to meeting you all, soon!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”