USC GOULD CLASS OF 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
cmroberto

New

Re: USC GOULD CLASS OF 2017

Post by cmroberto » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:47 am

hamlet16 wrote:Hey guys! Checking in!

I just have a quick question.
Does USC law send something like admission package, which include official decision letter, scholarship letter and other important info, to their admitted students?

If they do, when did you guys get it?

Thanks!
yes they do. I was accepted on a Monday and received the package on Friday of the same week. Scholarship letter was not included, though. I got the notification that I'd received a scholarship via email and the exact amount was available on the "my checklist" section of the admitted students page

congrats!

hamlet16

New

Post by hamlet16 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:33 pm

cmroberto wrote:
hamlet16 wrote:Hey guys! Checking in!

I just have a quick question.
Does USC law send something like admission package, which include official decision letter, scholarship letter and other important info, to their admitted students?

If they do, when did you guys get it?

Thanks!
yes they do. I was accepted on a Monday and received the package on Friday of the same week. Scholarship letter was not included, though. I got the notification that I'd received a scholarship via email and the exact amount was available on the "my checklist" section of the admitted students page

congrats!

Thanks for the reply!! I was admitted 2 weeks ago, but it's still not here. I should contact admission office..

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t

Bronze

Post by n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:25 pm

Withdrew from USC, gl to all still waiting to hear.

xJD2017x

Bronze

Post by xJD2017x » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:17 pm

For anyone who attended law day, did they say when they expect to give out final decisions or if they will offer more $$ to currently accepted or those still waiting for decisions. Did they mention what class size they are targeting? Any other useful info would be nice.

(Copied and pasted from the other foum)

instride91

Bronze

Post by instride91 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:45 pm

They said they were targeting a class size of 160, which seems smaller than previous years. I'm sure they have more money to give out. It's just a matter of negotiations and leverage.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Captain Rodeo

Bronze

Post by Captain Rodeo » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:28 pm

Dean Reid said the class was going to be 150-160, like an above poster stated.

Like the idea of smaller class

EJL123

New

Post by EJL123 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:38 pm

I'm debating between UCLA and USC right now, with my deadline for LA on Monday. USC is slightly cheaper due it's higher scholarship compared with UCLA's scholarship.

I also heard Dean Reid and a few other adcomm staff say that the class size target for next year is 150-160. Honestly, if the class size is indeed that small, I'm leaning towards USC because that frees up more scholarship money over the summer when some people get in off waitlists and go to higher ranked schools. I feel like USC has more money to throw around this year (maybe due to the slight drop in ranking, lower employment numbers, etc.)

UCLA has been tough to negotiate with regarding money, and it seems like they have their LSAT/GPA targets considering the high number of scholarship negotiation denials this cycle with those who have tried negotiating using USC's higher scholarship offers.

srslyp

New

Post by srslyp » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:29 pm

EJL123 wrote:I'm debating between UCLA and USC right now, with my deadline for LA on Monday. USC is slightly cheaper due it's higher scholarship compared with UCLA's scholarship.

I also heard Dean Reid and a few other adcomm staff say that the class size target for next year is 150-160. Honestly, if the class size is indeed that small, I'm leaning towards USC because that frees up more scholarship money over the summer when some people get in off waitlists and go to higher ranked schools. I feel like USC has more money to throw around this year (maybe due to the slight drop in ranking, lower employment numbers, etc.)

UCLA has been tough to negotiate with regarding money, and it seems like they have their LSAT/GPA targets considering the high number of scholarship negotiation denials this cycle with those who have tried negotiating using USC's higher scholarship offers.
I definitely like USC's small class size. It just makes for a way better atmosphere and also helps employment (the last graduating class was 238). It also seems true that professors are super accessible. I talked with one prof for a good 10 minutes in her office just after meeting her after a panel.

Not sure about the whole getting more money over the summer thing though. Don't you lack any leverage at that point? Given that all other deposits have passed? And if you were to get off a WL at a higher ranked school it would be full cost, so not sure why they would up a scholarship.

PS I don't think I met you Captain Rodeo. I assume your nametag would have said USC for undergrad on it? There were a ton of admitted students there. I feel like I met maybe 1/4.

Captain Rodeo

Bronze

Post by Captain Rodeo » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:07 pm

Ya I don't think I saw you either- and yes it would have.

Have you joined the FB group?

I thought Law Day was pretty nice overall. Was happy that they had Stone IPA beer at the reception deal afterward. I was impressed.

Overall thoughts? I can't express how much I like the idea of a smaller class. Are you leaning (this goes for anyone else) towards a type of law? I'm pretty open to anything, thinkng corporate/entertainment though sounds interesting.

Also, srslyp, did you get to explore LA at all? I went on the tour to check out Terrace apts btw

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

srslyp

New

Post by srslyp » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:18 pm

Captain Rodeo wrote:Ya I don't think I saw you either- and yes it would have.

Have you joined the FB group?

I thought Law Day was pretty nice overall. Was happy that they had Stone IPA beer at the reception deal afterward. I was impressed.

Overall thoughts? I can't express how much I like the idea of a smaller class. Are you leaning (this goes for anyone else) towards a type of law? I'm pretty open to anything, thinkng corporate/entertainment though sounds interesting.

Also, srslyp, did you get to explore LA at all? I went on the tour to check out Terrace apts btw
Yea, I'm on there. I'll PM you my name.

Nice. Didn't even look at what they had to offer. Generally don't drink and didn't want to act a fool, haha.

Really liked it. Definitely like the small class size. And the way the sections work seems nice too. I liked what Amy Forbes (the lady from Gibson Dunn) said about how you might know you should be a lawyer, and Kleinbard was pretty funny. The panels were pretty interesting and helpful. Definitely get the sense that everyone helps each other out as much as they can.

I'm interested in white collar crime, but corporate in general. I want to end up in public service. Dream would be to work at the DOJ.

My sister lives in downtown so I've been able to explore a bit. Went to Culver City yesterday, nice area. I went on the tour too. I think my guide's name was Alex, the first one that introduced himself.

Captain Rodeo

Bronze

Post by Captain Rodeo » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:39 pm

Right, I had three beers and I was good haha. You likely made the wiser choice.

Ms. Forbes was awesome, as was Kleinbard.

White collar crime- that is awesome! And very specific. I wonder what informed that choice?

I remember Alex, I forgot my your guide's name, she was the little girl who did Berkeley undergrad.

Would you live off campus or Terrace? Terrace for me, simply because I can bike to campus and make fwends.

srslyp

New

Post by srslyp » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:27 am

Captain Rodeo wrote:Right, I had three beers and I was good haha. You likely made the wiser choice.

Ms. Forbes was awesome, as was Kleinbard.

White collar crime- that is awesome! And very specific. I wonder what informed that choice?

I remember Alex, I forgot my your guide's name, she was the little girl who did Berkeley undergrad.

Would you live off campus or Terrace? Terrace for me, simply because I can bike to campus and make fwends.
Basically, because I'm interested in corporate but also criminal law, so white collar crime seemed a natural choice. I was initially thinking more DA route, but I don't think I would like to do all the violent crime. Also, white collar crime is just more complex. Truly tests preparation and litigation skills. But, you know, it's still early days. Who knows. Could get stuck in a room with a bunch of tax books and become obsessed with tax law like Kleinbard.

Haha, yea Terrace seemed good for what it is. It's super convenient and you're with a bunch of other law students. Just not sure I want an RA and such. I'm deciding b/w just right off campus (probly west of) or Culver City. Bikable distance would be good. It's a little overwhelming. I'm coming from the east coast. I've been talking with another 0L and we might be looking for a house near campus, but we would need a few more people.

logicspeaks

Bronze

Post by logicspeaks » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:19 pm

I'm not sure if I'm going to deposit on Thursday, but I thought I would let you all know I was able to negotiate my scholarship up from $40k a year to $50k a year overnight. Get some last minute negotiations in if you can.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MikeJD

Bronze

Post by MikeJD » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:19 pm

Who is about to deposit in the next day or two??

cmroberto

New

Post by cmroberto » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:31 am

MikeJD wrote:Who is about to deposit in the next day or two??
I already did. I was pretty set on USC from the beginning, but a successful scholarship negotiation made my mind up for me.

SemiReverseSplinter

New

Post by SemiReverseSplinter » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:34 pm

I also got my scholly up to 50k with a next day response. If they want you, they will be quick to let you know.

koval

Bronze

Post by koval » Thu May 01, 2014 9:39 am

Just withdrew. Difficult decision. Really loved the fellow admits I met at Law Day. Good luck to everyone!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pixy1900

New

Post by pixy1900 » Thu May 01, 2014 11:12 am

Just withdrew freeing up $105K

logicspeaks

Bronze

Post by logicspeaks » Thu May 01, 2014 3:51 pm

Just deposited!

SemiReverseSplinter

New

Post by SemiReverseSplinter » Mon May 05, 2014 8:05 pm

Rasmussen is stepping down... Sad

Captain Rodeo

Bronze

Post by Captain Rodeo » Mon May 05, 2014 8:10 pm

I wonder if his wife will stay on faculty after he leaves

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

shtickel

New

Post by shtickel » Mon May 05, 2014 8:21 pm

Why? Is this good, bad or neutral for Gould?

logicspeaks

Bronze

Post by logicspeaks » Mon May 05, 2014 9:11 pm

Depends on who replaces him.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Mon May 05, 2014 9:51 pm

Forgot to mention this: withdrew with full tuition a few days back. GL to all.

xJD2017x

Bronze

Post by xJD2017x » Tue May 06, 2014 4:17 pm

No waitlist activity yet according LSN, they must be happy with the amount of depositers.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”