USC GOULD CLASS OF 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
Glasseyes

Silver

Re: USC GOULD CLASS OF 2017

Post by Glasseyes » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:27 pm

Trying to rearrange some last minute stuff so I can attend Law Day, all while the terror of this giant decision looms in the background. No big deal :-)

I'm curious: to those of you whom I assume are all strongly considering USC, what are your plans after graduation? Like, are most of you going to shoot for Biglaw? That's my current plan, though both of the LA schools have somewhat depressing numbers for biglaw + fedclerk right now. I know the poster above mentioned the shrinking class size, but what do you guys think about the general state of the LA market as a whole when it comes to hiring? Seems like NY and most of the other big markets have picked up considerably, while LA continues to suffer. Not trying to start a flame war in this thread, just genuinely curious to hear how others are approaching this situation.

I live in LA already, so it makes a lot of sense for me to stay here, but I'll be the first to admit that the job prospects in this town are intimidating.

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t

Bronze

Post by n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:31 pm

xJD2017x wrote:Texas would be a good school if you are from Texas but if you got more money from USC, USC is the better place now that apps have have collapsed and USC will graduate 15-20% less JDs. The employment difference is minimal. Go back look at the big law placement last couple of years USC is usually ahead of texas by quite a bit.
I agree with your sentiment, and it is why I chose USC in the first place. My concern, however, is with the trend lines. UT's numbers are increasing every year substantially, while USC's seem to be going in the opposite direction. I want to be a PD, but at the end of the day I really don't want to be unemployed, and an additional 13% employment score from a peer school is appealing to say the least. What makes this really hard for me is that TX has no entry level PD market, so comparing the numbers directly isn't that revealing. As for the other things, I do live in TX (weak ties), but USC is slightly cheaper after the scholarships.

I know this isn't the right thread for this, so I apologize for cluttering it up.

Captain Rodeo

Bronze

Post by Captain Rodeo » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:29 pm

zman wrote:Emory hired a quarter of its grads and their big firm hiring is bad and zero clerks and they're ranked ahead of USC? LoL

xJD2017x

Bronze

Post by xJD2017x » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:36 pm

Actually emory had a few people in clerkships, they screwed up the numbers. They will likely stay ahead of USC in rankings at least for one more year unless USC recovers its rep scores where it fell for some reason. One thing it tells me though is that USC does NOT have a good career resources department which is what is needed to get jobs for those who strike at OCI and graduate towards the end of their class.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:09 am

Belated tag. More or less deciding between Cornell, USC, and Retake University. Not in love with the CO'13 jobs #s, but if the CO'17 is 25 students fewer, that's going to be a huge help at a school that is far from enormous to begin with.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Captain Rodeo

Bronze

Post by Captain Rodeo » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:06 am

cron1834 wrote:Belated tag. More or less deciding between Cornell, USC, and Retake University. Not in love with the CO'13 jobs #s, but if the CO'17 is 25 students fewer, that's going to be a huge help at a school that is far from enormous to begin with.

Did you make a "which law school?" thread ?

cmroberto

New

Post by cmroberto » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:36 am

checking in! I deposited last Friday. I'll be moving from Boston and I'm totally immersed in/overwhelmed by planning my move, but I couldn't be more excited to be attending SC in the fall!

I know this may be a little early, BUT...... does anyone have the slightest idea about what books we may need 1st semester? my overly neurotic, type-A personality requires me to ask this question. I finished undergrad in the fall and I'm going crazy without schoolwork to obsess over and I'd love to get a head start on the reading for the fall.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:19 am

Captain Rodeo wrote:
cron1834 wrote:Belated tag. More or less deciding between Cornell, USC, and Retake University. Not in love with the CO'13 jobs #s, but if the CO'17 is 25 students fewer, that's going to be a huge help at a school that is far from enormous to begin with.

No, bc I'm still waiting on $ offer from Cornell... It's impossible to answer until they get back to me on that point. USC is definitely a legit option for me, though.

Captain Rodeo

Bronze

Post by Captain Rodeo » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:55 am

cron1834 wrote:
Captain Rodeo wrote:

No, bc I'm still waiting on $ offer from Cornell... It's impossible to answer until they get back to me on that point. USC is definitely a legit option for me, though.

True true. Well good luck with that cron. I wish you the best

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Captain Rodeo

Bronze

Post by Captain Rodeo » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:57 am

cmroberto wrote:checking in! I deposited last Friday. I'll be moving from Boston and I'm totally immersed in/overwhelmed by planning my move, but I couldn't be more excited to be attending SC in the fall!

I know this may be a little early, BUT...... does anyone have the slightest idea about what books we may need 1st semester? my overly neurotic, type-A personality requires me to ask this question. I finished undergrad in the fall and I'm going crazy without schoolwork to obsess over and I'd love to get a head start on the reading for the fall.
Hey cmroberto,

I don't know which books exactly, just the classes. http://weblaw.usc.edu/why/academics/cur ... iculum.cfm

So, which Torts book will we be buying? I don't know... But I do know we'll be doing Torts. Hope that helps.

And someone should explain to me how to hyperlink a word that contains the link and not the entire link. Still haven't figured that out

Glasseyes

Silver

Post by Glasseyes » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:26 am

cmroberto wrote:checking in! I deposited last Friday. I'll be moving from Boston and I'm totally immersed in/overwhelmed by planning my move, but I couldn't be more excited to be attending SC in the fall!

The single piece of advice I have heard from literally dozens of current law students and recent grads is NOT to attempt to read the course books in advance under any circumstances. You don't know what your professors will have you read, or how they will teach the material, and it will only be an unnecessary burden. If you have to, pick up a generalized approach book like Getting To Maybe, or read Scott Turow's 1L for fun.

Enjoy SC! And if you have any specific questions about the move feel free to PM me. I moved from Boston to LA back in 2004 when I graduated from undergrad. You'll love the weather at first, then go mildly insane when it never rains, then gradually accept that you're living in a permanent state of purgatorial sunshine, which could be worse.
Last edited by Glasseyes on Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cmroberto

New

Post by cmroberto » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:31 am

Glasseyes wrote:

The single piece of advice I have heard from literally dozens of current law students and recent grads is NOT to attempt to read the course books in advance under any circumstances. You don't know what your professors will have you read, or how they will teach the material, and it will only be an unnecessary burden. If you have to, pick up a generalized approach book like Getting To Maybe, or read Scott Turow's 1L for fun.

Enjoy SC! And if you have any specific questions about the move feel free to PM me. I moved from Boston to LA back in 2004 when I graduated from undergrad. You'll love the weather at first, then go mildly insane when it never rains, then gradually except that you're living in a permanent state of purgatorial sunshine, which could be worse.
I definitely will have some questions for you! my significant other is moving with me and he will be working, not attending school, and he is not helping much with the planning so I'm basically on my own. thanks for the advice. I can definitely live with permanent sunshine -- this winter gave me enough snow/rain/frigid cold to last a lifetime

cmroberto

New

Post by cmroberto » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:32 am

Captain Rodeo wrote:

Hey cmroberto,

I don't know which books exactly, just the classes. http://weblaw.usc.edu/why/academics/cur ... iculum.cfm

So, which Torts book will we be buying? I don't know... But I do know we'll be doing Torts. Hope that helps.

And someone should explain to me how to hyperlink a word that contains the link and not the entire link. Still haven't figured that out
great! I think I will hold off on reading in advance as long as possible, but I will probably cave in and start at some point haha

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Captain Rodeo

Bronze

Post by Captain Rodeo » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:42 am

cmroberto wrote:
Captain Rodeo wrote:

Hey cmroberto,

great! I think I will hold off on reading in advance as long as possible, but I will probably cave in and start at some point haha

Ya, I thought you were wondering just for buying purposes. I wouldn't read a word. If you want to read, get the EE (Examples & Explanations) book for that class. But, I wouldn't even read that. Enjoy your freedom and like the other poster said, read G2M or 1L if you want

Glasseyes

Silver

Post by Glasseyes » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:35 pm

Captain Rodeo wrote:
cmroberto wrote:
Captain Rodeo wrote:

Hey cmroberto,

Ya, I thought you were wondering just for buying purposes. I wouldn't read a word. If you want to read, get the EE (Examples & Explanations) book for that class. But, I wouldn't even read that. Enjoy your freedom and like the other poster said, read G2M or 1L if you want
I forget which school it was (I wanna say Georgetown), but the professors listed the required books on the school site for their specific classes and provided notes and guidance for advance reading. Obviously this would only work (a) once you've got your fall class schedule, and (b) if SC does something similar on the school website.

srslyp

New

Post by srslyp » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:44 pm

If employment statistics are correct and trend in class size is correct then the difference in class size between the CO'13 and CO'17 is likely to be more like 60-70 students.

Btw, Captain Rodeo, I'll be at Law Day so I'll see you there!
cmroberto wrote:great! I think I will hold off on reading in advance as long as possible, but I will probably cave in and start at some point haha
You are crazy. :| I think you should read Anna Karenina instead. That would give you something to do.

zman

Bronze

Post by zman » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:27 pm

You will read the same material as the current students( so you can ask them on the FB page) but you probably can't buy their older cheaper books because they will require you to buy a new version for full $$.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Captain Rodeo

Bronze

Post by Captain Rodeo » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:40 pm

Awesome srslyp!!

instride91

Bronze

Post by instride91 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:47 pm

Does anyone happen to know when student loans kick in? I'll be using them to pay for housing and I would prefer NOT to move back home for the summer if at all possible. I sent an email to USC asking if they could help out with this problem, but I have yet to hear a response.

instride91

Bronze

Post by instride91 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:33 pm

Officially checking in! I managed to get my scholarship increased from $45k to $75k! Looking forward to being a Trojan!

Captain Rodeo

Bronze

Post by Captain Rodeo » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:45 pm

instride91 wrote:Officially checking in! I managed to get my scholarship increased from $45k to $75k! Looking forward to being a Trojan!

Good shit instride91. Glad to have you here.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

xJD2017x

Bronze

Post by xJD2017x » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:17 pm

instride91 wrote:Officially checking in! I managed to get my scholarship increased from $45k to $75k! Looking forward to being a Trojan!

stats?

SemiReverseSplinter

New

Post by SemiReverseSplinter » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:10 pm

Checking in as well!! Currently trying to get my scholly up, but they gave me enough to make it a great opportunity. Does anyone know ideal places to live if you have a car? I want to ride my bike to class, but I haven't been sold on selling my car given LA's terrible transportation

xJD2017x

Bronze

Post by xJD2017x » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:45 pm

SemiReverseSplinter wrote:Checking in as well!! Currently trying to get my scholly up, but they gave me enough to make it a great opportunity. Does anyone know ideal places to live if you have a car? I want to ride my bike to class, but I haven't been sold on selling my car given LA's terrible transportation

You could ask on the facebook page I think.

hamlet16

New

Post by hamlet16 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:44 am

Hey guys! Checking in!

I just have a quick question.
Does USC law send something like admission package, which include official decision letter, scholarship letter and other important info, to their admitted students?

If they do, when did you guys get it?

Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”