Michigan State Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
almaz

New

Michigan State Class of 2017

Post by almaz » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:07 am

Anyone else considering Michigan State?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Re: Michigan State Class of 2017

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:31 pm

Not going there for law school, but I did my undergrad there, so if you're not familiar with the area I can probably help you out. Of course, my info is now about 9 years old, so take it with a grain of salt.

almaz

New

Post by almaz » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:52 pm

I am from Michigan, so I know the EL area fairly well. I'm trying to decide between MSU, Wayne State, and a few others.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:07 pm

I'd go to Wayne between the two, personally, but that's just me.

epalombit

New

Post by epalombit » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:20 pm

I currently am completing my undergrad at MSU. I was initially planning on attending MSU College of Law upon my acceptance, but I was not offered anywhere near as much scholarship money that would make it realistic for me to attend. I am now leaning toward Wayne Law

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

almaz

New

Post by almaz » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:56 am

I don't really have a preference, but I think it will be easier to maintain the 3.0 GPA grade stipulation attached to my scholarship at Wayne. I have a friend in the reverse situation that you are in (75% at MSU and only got a 1 time 10k scholarship at Wayne). Have you tried negotiating?

epalombit

New

Post by epalombit » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:13 am

I was considering it, but ultimately I did not bother since there is still a huge difference in the amount of debt I would incur, and that is a really important factor for me to consider. Also, I was thinking I may have a better chance at ranking higher in my class at Wayne as opposed to MSU. So most likely I will be putting in my deposit for Wayne, but MSU is a great school I think it will only get better.

almaz

New

Post by almaz » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:23 pm

Will you be attending the upcoming Wayne law admitted students event in EL?

jne381

Platinum

Post by jne381 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:22 pm

Just so you all know, conditional scholarship retention rates for Michigan law schools:
Michigan State University College of Law - 81%
University of Detroit Mercy Law School - 69%
Wayne State University Law School - 54%
Thomas M. Cooley Law School - no conditional scholarships
University of Michigan Law School - no conditional scholarships
http://sbmblog.typepad.com/sbm-blog/201 ... -spot.html

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

almaz

New

Post by almaz » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:55 am

These numbers are informative but can be misleading. MSU offers several different conditional scholarships. I received a full tuition scholarship from both schools and each has a 3.0 GPA stipulation attached. I don't think one school is better than the other, so I am basing my decision strictly on scholarship retention probability. I contacted each school asking for the median 1L GPA for the Fall 2012 class. The median at Wane, 3.14, was actually higher than MSU's which was almost exactly a 3.0. The reason MSU's retention rates are so high is because they offer a number of scholarships with stipulations that merely require a 2.5 GPA- sometimes less. My roommate was offered a 50% scholarship and only needs a 2.5. I'm addition, a much larger percentage of the students at MSU receive conditional scholarships which probably leads to a more competitive atmosphere.

maburrell

New

Post by maburrell » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:44 pm

Just got a call from admissions last night. I'm in at MSU! Looking forward to being a Spartan :)

Michigan should be quite a change of pace from New York City. Any tips from the natives on how to adjust to living in Michigan? I've already got snow tires on the list lol. :D

Also, does anyone have any apartment recommendations? I'd like to live in a one bedroom within 10-15 minute driving distance of campus at the most.

jne381

Platinum

Post by jne381 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:08 pm

maburrell wrote:Just got a call from admissions last night. I'm in at MSU! Looking forward to being a Spartan :)

Michigan should be quite a change of pace from New York City. Any tips from the natives on how to adjust to living in Michigan? I've already got snow tires on the list lol. :D

Also, does anyone have any apartment recommendations? I'd like to live in a one bedroom within 10-15 minute driving distance of campus at the most.
Congrats! You are a Spartan!

I lived in Grand Rapids and commuted to EL, but I believe Chandler Crossing is the place most people lived.

As for Michigan, this Winter has been cold and snowy as F. It usually isn't this bad, but it usually still cold in winter. Get a heavy wool coat and a winter hat, scarf and gloves, and you should be fine. Maybe a good pair of waterproof boots for the winter. Red Wing Boots are the credited response, and you should be good.

The way to really get through winter is to take advantage of it. Start scoping out places you can cross-country ski. If you have a snowmobile, that can be fun as well. I knew more than a few people that had horses in law school, so there are obviously places you can stable them and go riding.

Save up some monies so you can get tickets to the football games and basketball games. You will get student ticket pricing. :)

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:12 pm

maburrell wrote:Just got a call from admissions last night. I'm in at MSU! Looking forward to being a Spartan :)

(Again, disclaimer, my info is like 10 years old)

As far as housing, you're going to face the same dilemma as you would in any college town. Do you want to live close by and have to deal with a bunch of loud, obnoxious undergrads, or do you want peace and quiet but a longer commute? It just depends on what you're into. Do you like going out/want to be able to walk to bars and restaurants? Live somewhere along Grand River. Do you want to not have drunk 19 year olds vomit on you? Live up in Chandler's Crossing or in Okemos. You might even look at living in Lansing itself if you want a more mature social scene. Just depends on your preferences. The one nice thing will be the cost of housing. If you're coming from NYC you're going to think apartments in Lansing/East Lansing are ridiculously cheap.

I wouldn't worry too much about the weather. NYC gets plenty cold, and Michigan isn't Alaska, although from what I hear from friends and family who still live in Michigan this has been a brutal winter.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:31 pm

As my handle suggests, MSU undergrad alum and SF native here.

Big thing is to have a car, though it seems you have that covered. Public transportation in EL is better than most places in Michigan, but still isn't something you want to rely on.

As far as the adjustment, keep in mind that, while there are sights to see, and things to do, EL is still a small town and offers considerably less than a big city on the food and culture fronts (though the Broad Art Museum has helped close the gap there.)

I lived in Carriage Hills, and would highly recommend it. While the walls are a bit thin, its mostly young professionals, with some grad students. Almost no undergrad. The price is decent for the area- I had an 1100 sq. ft apartment with a walk in closet. Shared with another student, and it was about $550/month when utilities are factored in.

I'd echo what TheSpanishMan said about distance- the closer you are to campus, the more undergrads you get. From what I've heard, the Lofts in Downtown Lansing are supposed to be pretty nice, as is Central Park, in Okemos.

Michigan doesn't get considerably colder than NYC, but make sure to get a good pair of boots. If you're walking outside a lot, I'd recommend getting something to cover your face (I think it's called a balaclava.) Found that helpful when it was really windy/cold out.

Congrats on becoming a Spartan! Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

maburrell

New

Post by maburrell » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:52 pm

Thanks for the replies! I looked into Chandler Crossing. Looks nice!

Anyone know anything about the Timberlake-Stonehedge apartments?

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:52 pm

Haven't lived in either of these, so obviously can't speak to the quality, but a few thoughts:

Covered carports are exceptionally nice in the winter, as they save you from having to dig your car out. Stonehedge appears to have them, and that's a major plus.

Another plus to Stonehedge is being in closer proximity to Harrison Road. With Timberlake, you'd have to drive a short distance on Grand River to get to Harrison, which is important, because that stretch is a major speed trap for ELPD.

Stonehedge is a bit farther from 127, so you probably have less ambient noise- could matter if you're a light sleeper.

Under no circumstance should you get a one of the townhouses, or live on the garden level. At my complex (Carriage Hills), the townhouses had flooded basements every time it rained, and when the snow melted. Garden level apartments also commonly have bug problems (ants, pill bugs, etc.) Pay a little extra for a second or third floor apartment, and you'll save yourself the time and hassle of having pest control come over frequently.

maburrell

New

Post by maburrell » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:07 pm

SFSpartan wrote:Haven't lived in either of these, so obviously can't speak to the quality, but a few thoughts:

Covered carports are exceptionally nice in the winter, as they save you from having to dig your car out. Stonehedge appears to have them, and that's a major plus.

Another plus to Stonehedge is being in closer proximity to Harrison Road. With Timberlake, you'd have to drive a short distance on Grand River to get to Harrison, which is important, because that stretch is a major speed trap for ELPD.

Stonehedge is a bit farther from 127, so you probably have less ambient noise- could matter if you're a light sleeper.

Under no circumstance should you get a one of the townhouses, or live on the garden level. At my complex (Carriage Hills), the townhouses had flooded basements every time it rained, and when the snow melted. Garden level apartments also commonly have bug problems (ants, pill bugs, etc.) Pay a little extra for a second or third floor apartment, and you'll save yourself the time and hassle of having pest control come over frequently.
Wow! Thanks for the helpful tips. Yeah I was thinking a car port would be the way to go. How is driving in a Michigan winter though? Is the state good about plowing streets and stuff?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:49 pm

maburrell wrote:
SFSpartan wrote:Haven't lived in either of these, so obviously can't speak to the quality, but a few thoughts:

Wow! Thanks for the helpful tips. Yeah I was thinking a car port would be the way to go. How is driving in a Michigan winter though? Is the state good about plowing streets and stuff?
The major roads and highways are going to be extremely well plowed, as is campus. Major streets include M-43 (Saginaw), Harrison, Abbot, Lake Lansing, Hagadorn, Michigan Ave/Grand River (and most cross streets downtown.) The minor streets are hit or miss (mostly miss), but unless you live on one, it isn't a big deal. FWIW, large parts of campus have/are having heated sidewalks installed, so they stay pretty clear in winter.

Driving isn't too terrible, but it does take some getting used to. I'd strongly recommend taking it slow at first, as ice/snow can be unpredictable, and you will slide around at first. I'd also recommend going to a hardware store after the first snow and buying a couple bags of sand to put in your trunk. That will stop you from fishtailing if you don't have an SUV with 4WD/AWD.

bugsy33

Bronze

Post by bugsy33 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:14 am

I did my undergrad at MSU and lived at Chandler Crossings for two years. STAY AWAY from those apartments. It is not an appropriate place to live while in law school. They are newer and offer a lot of amenities, but they have paper thin walls and I guarantee your neighbors will be loud. That place has been described as a frat house with a gate and it's not too far off. Good for undergrads, but it will be far too distracting for a law student. That being said, there are many apartments and rentals around that area (Abbot & Lake Lansing) that are nice, quiet, and affordable. Just don't stay in the vicinity of Chandler Crossings, which includes Crossing Place, The Pointe, or Block 36. The latter three are the same place, but they change it every year due to some craziness that makes the news forcing them to change the name. We used to call it Shooting Place, then Gun Pointe, and now Cell Block 36. The place looks nice, but literally people have been murdered there.

I would look into apartments closer to Lansing, and south of campus. Try to find places that have graduate housing. The undergrads at MSU know how to have fun, and make a lot of noise while doing it. Check out "The Lodges." Super nice, but a bit pricey. You're going to love MSU, it's a phenomenal school!

maburrell

New

Post by maburrell » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:42 pm

bugsy33 wrote:I did my undergrad at MSU and lived at Chandler Crossings for two years. STAY AWAY from those apartments. It is not an appropriate place to live while in law school. They are newer and offer a lot of amenities, but they have paper thin walls and I guarantee your neighbors will be loud. That place has been described as a frat house with a gate and it's not too far off. Good for undergrads, but it will be far too distracting for a law student. That being said, there are many apartments and rentals around that area (Abbot & Lake Lansing) that are nice, quiet, and affordable. Just don't stay in the vicinity of Chandler Crossings, which includes Crossing Place, The Pointe, or Block 36. The latter three are the same place, but they change it every year due to some craziness that makes the news forcing them to change the name. We used to call it Shooting Place, then Gun Pointe, and now Cell Block 36. The place looks nice, but literally people have been murdered there.

I would look into apartments closer to Lansing, and south of campus. Try to find places that have graduate housing. The undergrads at MSU know how to have fun, and make a lot of noise while doing it. Check out "The Lodges." Super nice, but a bit pricey. You're going to love MSU, it's a phenomenal school!

Thanks! Ironically I heard the same exact thing about the Lodges (loud undergrads and such) and you're right about it being a bit pricey. Ahhh, what to do what to do...

Gunner22

New

Post by Gunner22 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:05 am

maburrell wrote:
bugsy33 wrote:I did my undergrad at MSU and lived at Chandler Crossings for two years. STAY AWAY from those apartments. It is not an appropriate place to live while in law school. They are newer and offer a lot of amenities, but they have paper thin walls and I guarantee your neighbors will be loud. That place has been described as a frat house with a gate and it's not too far off. Good for undergrads, but it will be far too distracting for a law student. That being said, there are many apartments and rentals around that area (Abbot & Lake Lansing) that are nice, quiet, and affordable. Just don't stay in the vicinity of Chandler Crossings, which includes Crossing Place, The Pointe, or Block 36. The latter three are the same place, but they change it every year due to some craziness that makes the news forcing them to change the name. We used to call it Shooting Place, then Gun Pointe, and now Cell Block 36. The place looks nice, but literally people have been murdered there.

Thanks! Ironically I heard the same exact thing about the Lodges (loud undergrads and such) and you're right about it being a bit pricey. Ahhh, what to do what to do...
I currently live at the Lodges. It is pretty nice, but yes, it is also very pricey. But given my scholarship, I was content with paying a bit more for a more comfortable living setting. Still, the complex's bus system is convenient, and anytime I've had an apartment problem, maintenance has been pretty quick to respond. A fair mix of grad and undergrad students live here. I've never had any problems with noise personally and I tend to do most of my studying at my apartment, but take that for what you will.

There is another complex that is currently under construction that is pretty much right down the street from the Lodges. It opens next Fall and the two are certain to compete for tenants: both are owned by major companies that own apartment complexes on college campuses across the country. This other complex is called something like The Lofts at Hannah. Can't remember the exact name, but they'd be worth checking out as well.

I'm also perfectly willing to answer any questions anyone has about MSU law as I currently attend here.
almaz wrote:These numbers are informative but can be misleading. MSU offers several different conditional scholarships. I received a full tuition scholarship from both schools and each has a 3.0 GPA stipulation attached. I don't think one school is better than the other, so I am basing my decision strictly on scholarship retention probability. I contacted each school asking for the median 1L GPA for the Fall 2012 class. The median at Wane, 3.14, was actually higher than MSU's which was almost exactly a 3.0. The reason MSU's retention rates are so high is because they offer a number of scholarships with stipulations that merely require a 2.5 GPA- sometimes less. My roommate was offered a 50% scholarship and only needs a 2.5. I'm addition, a much larger percentage of the students at MSU receive conditional scholarships which probably leads to a more competitive atmosphere.
Strange that your full-tuition has a 3.0 condition. I believe the Faculty and Trustee Scholarships (which go up to full-tuition) only require a 2.5 GPA. Only the King's Scholarship requires a 3.0. I'm really not sure why King's Scholar's get screwed over with having to keep a higher GPA. You are definitely right to be looking at those GPA requirements though. Law School exams are stressful enough as is without having to worry about whether you can keep your scholarship or not. That said, I don't know the policy with other law schools, like Wayne, but I do know MSU isn't going to be a stickler if you happen to just miss the cut-off to keep your Scholly. Often times you'll just have it reduced from 100% -> 75%, etc. They won't strip all of it away unless you just really bomb it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

komoro

New

Post by komoro » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:11 pm

In with scholarship today:)
GPA>75%, LSAT<Median

m12345_

New

Post by m12345_ » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:02 pm

hey guys..about living... i'm moving down from canada and i need to drive down there at some point to look for housing. i'm going to probably be looking to rent a house. i was thinking about making a trip in mid-july. would this be a good time to start looking for a lease beginning in august? should i be able to find a place in the short few days/weekend i'm there? not quite sure what the whole process is like for renting in the US. i'm hoping to look at a few places and sign a lease immediately upon finding something decent. any help/advice is much appreciated!

PS. someone should make a facebook page for the 2017 class

bugsy33

Bronze

Post by bugsy33 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:58 pm

m12345_ wrote:hey guys..about living... i'm moving down from canada and i need to drive down there at some point to look for housing. i'm going to probably be looking to rent a house. i was thinking about making a trip in mid-july. would this be a good time to start looking for a lease beginning in august? should i be able to find a place in the short few days/weekend i'm there? not quite sure what the whole process is like for renting in the US. i'm hoping to look at a few places and sign a lease immediately upon finding something decent. any help/advice is much appreciated!

I would get down here a lot sooner than mid-july. If you're dead set on MSU law then you should come down ASAP to find housing. Remember there are 46,999 other people looking for housing this year in E.L. The sooner you can get a lease signed, the better.

m12345_

New

Post by m12345_ » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:48 pm

bugsy33 wrote:
m12345_ wrote:hey guys..about living... i'm moving down from canada and i need to drive down there at some point to look for housing. i'm going to probably be looking to rent a house. i was thinking about making a trip in mid-july. would this be a good time to start looking for a lease beginning in august? should i be able to find a place in the short few days/weekend i'm there? not quite sure what the whole process is like for renting in the US. i'm hoping to look at a few places and sign a lease immediately upon finding something decent. any help/advice is much appreciated!

I would get down here a lot sooner than mid-july. If you're dead set on MSU law then you should come down ASAP to find housing. Remember there are 46,999 other people looking for housing this year in E.L. The sooner you can get a lease signed, the better.

i didn't think about heading down earlier because i was thinking that if i am looking to rent a house, no landlord would let me sign a lease in april/may, to begin in august....they would be potentially losing money?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”