FSU Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

What are the 2 biggest factors in picking FSU (or another law school)?

Employment Prospects
30%
Cost of Attendance
32%
10%
US News Ranking
10%
Alumni Base
No votes
Law Library
No votes
Feel of the School (Right Fit)
18%

Total votes: 50

FSULaw2017

New

FSU Class of 2017

Post by FSULaw2017 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:37 pm

Hello and congratulations on your acceptance at Florida State University College of Law! This forum is for anyone who has been accepted to discuss plans, decision making thoughts, why or why not to attend FSU, or anything at all related to FSU College of Law.

I have already committed to FSU over both higher and lower ranked schools, both in and outside of Florida, and could not be happier with my decision. I chose FSU because it is has BY FAR the best employment rate in the state of Florida, for Florida residents like myself it is a great value, has a solid alumni base, the city of Tallahassee offering a multitude of resume enhancing positions during my three years of law school, but mostly, because I love FSU!

I was also greatly impressed by the way the College of Law handled the admissions process, letting me know I was admitted only two weeks after submitting my application, and letting me know the results of my scholarship application less than a week later. I have also received calls from a business law professor (my desired practice area) and current students. The admissions office worked hard to make me feel wanted and I hope (and have heard positively from current students) that the Career Development Office will do the same to find me a career.

I visited the school (and the other two major Florida law schools) and that solidified my decision. I am thrilled to be finished with the process so early in the cycle.

Who is joining me in Tallahassee next fall?
Last edited by FSULaw2017 on Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Charlestonsfb60

New

Re: FSU Class of 2017

Post by Charlestonsfb60 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:15 pm

FSU is my number 2 as of this moment only because I have not received scholarship info yet. Hoping to hear something soon. If I can make FSU a more affordable choice than UGA I will be in Tally!

SailorMoon9543

Bronze

Post by SailorMoon9543 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:02 pm

When you say "results of your scholarship info" do you mean merit or need based? I haven't finished the survey bc I just got my W2 from work on Friday and have to fill out my fafsa. Do they assign merit and need schollys at the same time or separate? I went to FSU for undergrad and LOVE the school! Town is amazing too! I'm 80% sure I'll be there next year. William and Mary is holding my app for further review -- it's the only other school I'd consider attending. Go Noles!!!

phireblast

New

Post by phireblast » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:28 am

Unless UF offers a similar scholarship, I'm on my way to FSU.
I'm a FL resident, and the in-state at either is awesome. The scholarships are the cherry on top.

Loved FSU's quick response. The phone call was pretty exciting to get.

FSULaw2017

New

Post by FSULaw2017 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:04 am

SailorMoon9543 wrote:When you say "results of your scholarship info" do you mean merit or need based? I haven't finished the survey bc I just got my W2 from work on Friday and have to fill out my fafsa. Do they assign merit and need schollys at the same time or separate? I went to FSU for undergrad and LOVE the school! Town is amazing too! I'm 80% sure I'll be there next year. William and Mary is holding my app for further review -- it's the only other school I'd consider attending. Go Noles!!!

I was accepted on a Friday afternoon and received the scholarship application that night. I completed it that night and received the results the next Tuesday (or maybe Monday). I applied for Merit Aid and Diversity (Veteran).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FSULaw2017

New

Post by FSULaw2017 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:11 am

phireblast wrote:Unless UF offers a similar scholarship, I'm on my way to FSU.
I'm a FL resident, and the in-state at either is awesome. The scholarships are the cherry on top.

Loved FSU's quick response. The phone call was pretty exciting to get.

I hear you. The question is always UF vs. FSU for Florida residents. Miami is usually in the equation too if targeting South Florida employment but their scholarship stipulations and outrageously high cost of attendance scare a lot of people off and losing a scholarship would mean financial ruin. UF has a great reputation, a good brand, but their employment numbers are terrible. I've read on this board from other UF students that the Career Office there seems to think that the reputation of the school is enough and does not actively seek to find students jobs. I can't confirm the accuracy of this, of course, but it's enough to make you think.

UF:
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=florida

FSU:
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=fsu

UM:
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=miami

I wonder if when the new US News Rankings are released in March FSU's 9.8% employment advantage over UF will have the schools trade place in the rankings.

FSULaw2017

New

Post by FSULaw2017 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:10 pm

Hi everyone,

I modified the poll to give you the option to pick 2. While FSU's place as the law school with the best employment prospects in Florida certainly was a key factor for me, my on campus visit is what sealed the deal. It just felt right.

phireblast

New

Post by phireblast » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:32 pm

A lot of folks graduate from FSU Law and get government jobs... anyone have any clue what these jobs are?

FSULaw2017

New

Post by FSULaw2017 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:08 pm

phireblast wrote:A lot of folks graduate from FSU Law and get government jobs... anyone have any clue what these jobs are?
Prosecutor (both at State Attorney and Attorney General's office), federal judge or state supreme court justice clerk (both are in Tallahassee), or working in the federal or state court system.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

phireblast

New

Post by phireblast » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:55 pm

Thanks for the answer!^
Anyone going to ASD?

SailorMoon9543

Bronze

Post by SailorMoon9543 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:18 pm

phireblast wrote:Thanks for the answer!^
Anyone going to ASD?
I'll be at the ASD on April 4th! Can't make it in February. The travel stipend was a nice touch.

FSULaw2017

New

Post by FSULaw2017 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:06 pm

SailorMoon9543 wrote:
Anyone going to ASD?
I'll be at the ASD on April 4th! Can't make it in February. The travel stipend was a nice touch.

Same here. I was offered the $200 stipend (even allows for a rental car) from South Florida but I can't get out of work. I'll be at the April ASD.

SailorMoon9543

Bronze

Post by SailorMoon9543 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:01 pm

FSULaw2017 wrote:
SailorMoon9543 wrote:
Anyone going to ASD?

Same here. I was offered the $200 stipend (even allows for a rental car) from South Florida but I can't get out of work. I'll be at the April ASD.
Admissions told me they had more people last year at the April ASD than the Feb ASD (about 25 more in April).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kanye West

Bronze

Post by Kanye West » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:24 pm

Anyone going unto ASW from Miami (area) on Feb. 21?

Nikkiv92

New

Post by Nikkiv92 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:26 pm

I just got my call today! I will hopefully get a stipend to attend ASD on the 21st.

phireblast

New

Post by phireblast » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:13 pm

Anyone reflect on ASD?

Nikkiv92

New

Post by Nikkiv92 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:11 pm

phireblast wrote:Anyone reflect on ASD?
It was a really great event. The teachers and deans were really down to earth. The law school seems to be pretty close knit. The campus is beautiful! There all a lot of opportunities in the area and with alumni. Tallahassee wasn't so bad either. I stayed for a few days and it was nice.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

phireblast

New

Post by phireblast » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:19 am

Nikkiv92 wrote:
It was a really great event. The teachers and deans were really down to earth. The law school seems to be pretty close knit. The campus is beautiful! There all a lot of opportunities in the area and with alumni. Tallahassee wasn't so bad either. I stayed for a few days and it was nice.
Sounds awesome. I was set to go that day but had something come up last minute.

Nikkiv92

New

Post by Nikkiv92 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:09 am

phireblast wrote:
Nikkiv92 wrote:
Sounds awesome. I was set to go that day but had something come up last minute.
It was ! They have another one on April 4th I believe. If you have any other questions, feel free to pm me.

krazy

New

Post by krazy » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:33 pm

Hi everyone! Congrats on admittance to FSU. I'm a 1L here now and I absolutely love it :) I'm going home for the summer and my apartment will be available from May through July if anyone is interested! Message me for more info :)

phireblast

New

Post by phireblast » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:25 am

If the rumor that UF is completely out of scholarship $$ is true, then it looks like I'm going to be a Seminole :P

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rowdyreptile5861

New

Post by rowdyreptile5861 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:04 pm

I just received word through a law list serve that FSU is extending their application deadline until June 1. What could this mean for the composition and fate of the class of 2017?

phireblast

New

Post by phireblast » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:31 pm

rowdyreptile5861 wrote:I just received word through a law list serve that FSU is extending their application deadline until June 1. What could this mean for the composition and fate of the class of 2017?
This might be in reaction to their leapfrog over UF in the USNWR.
Sure, the rankings are understood to be superficial around these parts, but I would wager that the vast majority of applicants take them seriously. I am positive that after the USNWR, FSU saw an increase in interest from the state and from other parts. Perhaps qualified applicants from out of state looking at schools in Florida only applied to UF because it was the obvious choice for most of the cycle... not so much any more if you look at LST and if you are of the thought that the rankings really matter.

By extending the application deadline, they can continue to field quality applicants who are now interested but were not previously.

This could also be due to the general drop in law school applicants, but something tells me FSU won't have trouble filling all their seats considering their class size.

Who knows though, just a speculating 0L 8)

rowdyreptile5861

New

Post by rowdyreptile5861 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:06 pm

Solid thoughts. I'd say it's definitely one of those two theories. I just hope the class size doesn't get too big (260+) as I kind of like the size of the school as it stands now.

cdemps3

New

Post by cdemps3 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:25 pm

When I was up there this past weekend they said they were having an extremely strange year in that people are not responding at all, so they're unsure of who is and isn't going to attend. By extending the deadline I'm assuming they can get a better idea of that.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”