UCLA Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

Which welcome reception will you be attending?

Monday, March 10
41%
Sunday, April 6
59%

Total votes: 29

Serett

Re: UCLA Class of 2017

Post by Serett » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:16 am

Hitchensian wrote:Anybody else receive a phone call from a current 1L tonight? I thought it was a rewarding bit of outreach on their part. Definitely boosted my interest in UCLA.
Nope, although a student did reach out to me by email 2-3 weeks back. Unfortunately, I for whatever reason never received a response after replying to her, so it was of limited benefit to all involved :P

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:38 am

Yeah! I did. And it really helped answer some of my questions.

Learned that a lot of smaller firms are higher 1Ls for summer associate work. Thought that was interesting, and wasn't really something I'd heard about before.

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:53 pm

Is anyone else a little leery of the fact that there don't seem to be a lot of CURRENT UCLA students running around these forums?

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:16 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:Is anyone else a little leery of the fact that there don't seem to be a lot of CURRENT UCLA students running around these forums?
They may be a little busy... http://abovethelaw.com/schools/universi ... s-angeles/

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:47 pm

txdude45 wrote:
mirroroferised7 wrote:Is anyone else a little leery of the fact that there don't seem to be a lot of CURRENT UCLA students running around these forums?
They may be a little busy... http://abovethelaw.com/schools/universi ... s-angeles/

Why did you link to that? I'm not sure what that proves. Also there are NYU, Columbia and NU students taking questions... how could UCLA be more busy than those student bodies?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JUCO

New

Post by JUCO » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:53 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:
txdude45 wrote:

Why did you link to that? I'm not sure what that proves. Also there are NYU, Columbia and NU students taking questions... how could UCLA be more busy than those student bodies?
I believe he was referring to the "racism" article on that site, not their score.
I would like to here what is actually going on with that btw, not the spin it is given by ATL.

SisyphusHappy

Bronze

Post by SisyphusHappy » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:55 pm

Current UCLA student here. Happy to take questions if you have them.

Serett

Post by Serett » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:09 pm

SisyphusHappy wrote:Current UCLA student here. Happy to take questions if you have them.
1. Any idea how UCLA Law students (especially those with no ties to the state) fare finding employment outside of LA in California?

2. How happy/unhappy are you, personally, with your choice to attend UCLA Law and with life as a law student there in general? Loving it? Doubts or misgivings? Ambivalent?

3. Do you have any insight into what type/quality of jobs UCLA Law grads come away with if they miss the large firm cut-off (public interest notwithstanding)?

4. I'm terrified of the ~20% underemployment score on LST. Do you have any special perspective or opinion on it as a current UCLA Law student?

I'll also just add mirroroferised7's question on her behalf:
mirroroferised7 wrote:Do we have any current UCLA students/Alumnae lurking out there?

I'd love anecdotes of what your employment prospects look like! (esp. as pertains to BigLaw)
Much thanks in advance for anything you're willing to address. Feel free to PM if there's anything you'd rather not post publicly.

SisyphusHappy

Bronze

Post by SisyphusHappy » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:50 pm

FYI for background: I'm a 3L interested in PI work. I'd prefer not get outed on here, so I don't want to say much beyond that. I'll answer the questions in general. Some I have personal experiences with, others I don't. Feel free to PM me if you want more specific info.

1. Any idea how UCLA Law students (especially those with no ties to the state) fare finding employment outside of LA in California?

It's important to keep in mind that most UCLA students self-select to SoCal. A vast majority of our students are from the area. Most went to school here. Most stay here. If you want to leave the area, it takes a bit more work to find job opportunities. A few employers from the bay area come to campus, but it's predominantly LA. In my experience, UCLA has a better reputation outside of the area than people think. If you're willing to look for the jobs, you can find someone to hire you. I know a lot of people going to NorCal and many going to the east coast, as well.

2. How happy/unhappy are you, personally, with your choice to attend UCLA Law and with life as a law student there in general? Loving it? Doubts or misgivings? Ambivalent?

I'll be totally honest. The community and school was completely welcoming for my first two years. This year has had some...rough moments. I'm sure you've read why. I'm glad I came here, though. LA took a bit to grow on me, but I've really come to like it. I don't spend much free time on campus anymore, and I'm much happier this year because of it. So much of this is going to vary class to class. I got really lucky with mine. One big part of student life here that I enjoy is the 1L housing. 2/3s of the class lives in the same handful of buildings. It's great way for the class to bond.

3. Do you have any insight into what type/quality of jobs UCLA Law grads come away with if they miss the large firm cut-off (public interest notwithstanding)?

We're currently in the middle of a big push with midsize and small firms. As a PI kid, I can't say much personally, but I do have some friends in this spot. One worked for a boutique firm last summer after striking out at OCI. He got hired on and is very happy with it. Another is trying to interview with the mid and small firms now. He doesn't seem worried. I also have a lot of friends who graduated last year unemployed. They've all found something by now and I haven't heard any horror stories of doc review.

4. I'm terrified of the ~20% underemployment score on LST. Do you have any special perspective or opinion on it as a current UCLA Law student?

Yeah. Keep in mind our PI reputation. I have a ton of friends who want to be PDs and DAs. None of them have jobs lined up. I expect them to be unemployed or doing volunteer gigs this fall. They're the 20%. I really don't know many people who wanted a corporate job and didn't find (or aren't finding) something.

I'd love anecdotes of what your employment prospects look like!

Again, not really my area (sorry). As I mentioned, I really don't know anyone who hasn't found a corporate job if they were looking for it. I think the magical number at OCI was like a 3.3 GPA. 3.2 is the median.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Serett

Post by Serett » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:19 pm

SisyphusHappy wrote:Lots of info

Thanks, I really appreciate you taking the time to share, and much of your perspective sounds reassuring. Regarding PI, don't feel compelled to share anything that you think would out yourself, but in general, what track (PD/DA, Other Government, Non-Profit Public Interest, etc.) are you pursuing and how easily are you/people in general finding opportunities? For those interested in PI in general, is there any advice you would have wanted as a 0L, or is there anything that you would especially recommend doing or joining?

SisyphusHappy

Bronze

Post by SisyphusHappy » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:25 am

Serett wrote:
SisyphusHappy wrote:Lots of info

Thanks, I really appreciate you taking the time to share, and much of your perspective sounds reassuring. Regarding PI, don't feel compelled to share anything that you think would out yourself, but in general, what track (PD/DA, Other Government, Non-Profit Public Interest, etc.) are you pursuing and how easily are you/people in general finding opportunities? For those interested in PI in general, is there any advice you would have wanted as a 0L, or is there anything that you would especially recommend doing or joining?
For sure. I'll give you all the areas.

DAs: I actually don't know anything about them. Because come on. There might be an overlap with PD and the rest of the PI kids, but not with DAs. The only anecdotes I have here are people who want to do both DA or PD work, and they're not having any luck. I don't think that has anything to do with UCLA.

PDs: People are having problems. San Diego is starting to higher again (which is great). PDS just posted saying they're taking 3 people I think. LA still only has unpaid gigs, though, as does most the state. UCLA funds some opportunities, though. This year they partnered with Gideon's Promise for a few fellowship and their general PI fellowships can also be used for PD work. Of people I know, a couple have jobs lined up. Most are starting to interview now.

Government work: I know a handful of people who have gotten spots. UCLA sends a lot of people to DC over the summer and during semesters. There aren't many recruiters who come to us, but you can go to them and be successful.

Non-profits: Most people are shooting for fellowships. As I mentioned, the school offered a handful of them last year. People shit on school-funded positions, but this is like a less competitive build-your-own Skadden fellowship. It's a great opportunity. UCLA hosts SoCal's largest non-profit career day every year, so many people got jobs there. I think this group is in the same boat as PDs. It's rough right now. A few people have things lined up, most are just starting to interview.

EDIT: Oh, and the advice. UCLA lets you take a semester off to work for a PI organization. You get full credit, graduate on time, etc, etc, you're just not on campus and not taking finals. It's the greatest opportunity. Most schools don't offer anything like this. Take advantage of it.

EDIT2: I should also mention that the shots at the DAs are (mostly) tongue-in-cheek.

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:08 am

Thank you so much for answering our questions!

And thanks, Serett, for posting my question too!

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:10 am

SisyphusHappy wrote:FYI for background: I'm a 3L interested in PI work. I'd prefer not get outed on here, so I don't want to say much beyond that. I'll answer the questions in general. Some I have personal experiences with, others I don't. Feel free to PM me if you want more specific info.

It's important to keep in mind that most UCLA students self-select to SoCal. A vast majority of our students are from the area. Most went to school here. Most stay here. If you want to leave the area, it takes a bit more work to find job opportunities. A few employers from the bay area come to campus, but it's predominantly LA. In my experience, UCLA has a better reputation outside of the area than people think. If you're willing to look for the jobs, you can find someone to hire you. I know a lot of people going to NorCal and many going to the east coast, as well.

I'll be totally honest. The community and school was completely welcoming for my first two years. This year has had some...rough moments. I'm sure you've read why. I'm glad I came here, though. LA took a bit to grow on me, but I've really come to like it. I don't spend much free time on campus anymore, and I'm much happier this year because of it. So much of this is going to vary class to class. I got really lucky with mine. One big part of student life here that I enjoy is the 1L housing. 2/3s of the class lives in the same handful of buildings. It's great way for the class to bond.

We're currently in the middle of a big push with midsize and small firms. As a PI kid, I can't say much personally, but I do have some friends in this spot. One worked for a boutique firm last summer after striking out at OCI. He got hired on and is very happy with it. Another is trying to interview with the mid and small firms now. He doesn't seem worried. I also have a lot of friends who graduated last year unemployed. They've all found something by now and I haven't heard any horror stories of doc review.

Yeah. Keep in mind our PI reputation. I have a ton of friends who want to be PDs and DAs. None of them have jobs lined up. I expect them to be unemployed or doing volunteer gigs this fall. They're the 20%. I really don't know many people who wanted a corporate job and didn't find (or aren't finding) something.

Again, not really my area (sorry). As I mentioned, I really don't know anyone who hasn't found a corporate job if they were looking for it. I think the magical number at OCI was like a 3.3 GPA. 3.2 is the median.
I'm curious as to what circumstances made you feel unwelcome on campus?

Also, if I'm going to be living off-campus for 1L and beyond (I'm married, and I have a pet), how did the 1L's who didn't live in student housing fare socially?

Finally, do you feel that he school has really helped and supported you in your job search?

Thanks again for answering our questions!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Hitchensian

Bronze

Post by Hitchensian » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:00 am

SisyphusHappy wrote:FYI for background: I'm a 3L interested in PI work. I'd prefer not get outed on here, so I don't want to say much beyond that. I'll answer the questions in general. Some I have personal experiences with, others I don't. Feel free to PM me if you want more specific info.

Thanks for taking the time to provide your input! Very helpful.

SisyphusHappy

Bronze

Post by SisyphusHappy » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:24 pm

I'm curious as to what circumstances made you feel unwelcome on campus?

The racism drama. It's not so much unwelcome now as I just don't want to be around the clusterfuck that's happening.

Also, if I'm going to be living off-campus for 1L and beyond (I'm married, and I have a pet), how did the 1L's who didn't live in student housing fare socially?

Really well. Weyburn is the social hub, but that doesn't mean you can't hang out there if you're living somewhere else. We had a ton of classmates do that.

Finally, do you feel that he school has really helped and supported you in your job search?

I can't understate how great career services is here. I'm constantly getting individualized, targeted emails from multiple counselors about job opportunities they think I would like. They'll review anything you want. If you're going for clerkships, they will do anything for you (including mailing, printing, and proofreading). I have four counselors right now that know what I'm looking for and are trying to help me out. In undergrad, I was lucky to have one.

YouGoGlenCoCo

New

Post by YouGoGlenCoCo » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:38 pm

Of those people going to ASW next Monday, has anyone responded to the email requesting to sit in on morning classes?

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:51 pm

YouGoGlenCoCo wrote:Of those people going to ASW next Monday, has anyone responded to the email requesting to sit in on morning classes?
Not yet.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:54 pm

fkt18 wrote:
YouGoGlenCoCo wrote:Of those people going to ASW next Monday, has anyone responded to the email requesting to sit in on morning classes?
Not yet.
Just did. Seem to be plenty of openings...

dehesse

New

Post by dehesse » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:56 pm

Checking in :D Just got the call, and hoping I'll get the letter in time to make it to the first accepted students day! Glad this page is here to fill me in!

joshringu

New

Post by joshringu » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:10 pm

dehesse wrote:Checking in :D Just got the call, and hoping I'll get the letter in time to make it to the first accepted students day! Glad this page is here to fill me in!
Congrats!! You know if you'll be attending?

dehesse

New

Post by dehesse » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:41 pm

joshringu wrote:
dehesse wrote:Checking in :D Just got the call, and hoping I'll get the letter in time to make it to the first accepted students day! Glad this page is here to fill me in!
I'm not sure yet but I live near UCLA and have grown up a Bruin, so it's very high on my list at this point! Still waiting on a couple more schools though so we'll see!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

joshringu

New

Post by joshringu » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:27 pm

dehesse wrote:
joshringu wrote:
I'm not sure yet but I live near UCLA and have grown up a Bruin, so it's very high on my list at this point! Still waiting on a couple more schools though so we'll see!
Ahh okay. Did you go there for undergrad as well? And if you do go I'll see you there!

dehesse

New

Post by dehesse » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:31 pm

joshringu wrote:
dehesse wrote:
joshringu wrote:
Ahh okay. Did you go there for undergrad as well? And if you do go I'll see you there!
No I didn't! Would have loved to though. Are you committed to UCLA??

joshringu

New

Post by joshringu » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:37 pm

joshringu wrote:
dehesse wrote:
joshringu wrote:
No I didn't! Would have loved to though. Are you committed to UCLA??[/quote]

Yes I am, I just need to pay the deposit and I'll be fully committed.

bonerland

New

Post by bonerland » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:42 pm

Checking in.

Has anyone received a merit scholarship notification in the mail after hearing nothing from Dean Schwartz over the phone?

I've seen people with similar or lower numbers than I report receiving merit scholarships and having been informed of it during the call.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”