UCLA Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

Which welcome reception will you be attending?

Monday, March 10
41%
Sunday, April 6
59%

Total votes: 29

Glasseyes

Silver

Re: UCLA Class of 2017

Post by Glasseyes » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:34 pm

Does anyone happen to know the rough class size that UCLA is shooting for this year? I know the last year of graduates that we have data on was about 333 kids, and I suspect classes have shrunk then, but I'm not sure where to find that exact info. I have a vague memory of one of the speakers at the ASD saying something like "approximately 295 spots" for the class of 2017, but I can't confirm this, and I'm curious how this compares to the previous classes of 2014, 2015, and 2016. Anyone know?

srslyp

New

Post by srslyp » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:56 am

Glasseyes wrote:Does anyone happen to know the rough class size that UCLA is shooting for this year? I know the last year of graduates that we have data on was about 333 kids, and I suspect classes have shrunk then, but I'm not sure where to find that exact info. I have a vague memory of one of the speakers at the ASD saying something like "approximately 295 spots" for the class of 2017, but I can't confirm this, and I'm curious how this compares to the previous classes of 2014, 2015, and 2016. Anyone know?
This tells you the class size for 2015 and 2016. 309 and 293 respectively.

zcobb

New

Post by zcobb » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:51 pm

Just withdrew. $120k back in the pot.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:27 pm

Withdrew today and my scholarship is back in the pot as well.

samoby

Bronze

Post by samoby » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:12 pm

Withdrew. It was a very hard decision. Good luck everyone!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pcthenls

Bronze

Post by pcthenls » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:18 am

Does anyone know when housing assignments go out? When did every one apply? Housing website is long and confusing.

Glasseyes

Silver

Post by Glasseyes » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:45 am

Went ahead and let my offer expire. Sadly there's no scholly money to go back to the pot as they never offered me any. Tried negotiating with better offers on the table, and was told I'd be better off at one of those schools. Looks like I'm leaving LA. :-/

Best of luck to ye who continue.

ironicbunny

New

Post by ironicbunny » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:52 pm

pcthenls wrote:Does anyone know when housing assignments go out? When did every one apply? Housing website is long and confusing.
I went ahead and called them the other day. The lady said that they will be responding in the beginning of the summer, starting with the applicants who indicated that they are moving in soonest. The apps aren't due until May 15th, I believe, but you might as well turn it in as soon as you can.

pcthenls

Bronze

Post by pcthenls » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:56 pm

Thanks for that! And sorry to the previous poster that negotiations did not go as you had hoped. That's a tough situation and understand how you feel.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Glasseyes

Silver

Post by Glasseyes » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:34 pm

pcthenls wrote:Thanks for that! And sorry to the previous poster that negotiations did not go as you had hoped. That's a tough situation and understand how you feel.
Much appreciated. I think my GPA killed me, which is understandable for a Cali school. In my absence, I hope the rest of you are able to rake them over the coals for all they're worth.

MikeJD

Bronze

Post by MikeJD » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:49 pm

Glasseyes wrote:Went ahead and let my offer expire. Sadly there's no scholly money to go back to the pot as they never offered me any. Tried negotiating with better offers on the table, and was told I'd be better off at one of those schools. Looks like I'm leaving LA. :-/

How are they running out of money?? last year there were more generous, it's not like they hired a ton of expensive instructors.

Glasseyes

Silver

Post by Glasseyes » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:17 pm

MikeJD wrote:
Glasseyes wrote:Went ahead and let my offer expire. Sadly there's no scholly money to go back to the pot as they never offered me any. Tried negotiating with better offers on the table, and was told I'd be better off at one of those schools. Looks like I'm leaving LA. :-/

How are they running out of money?? last year there were more generous, it's not like they hired a ton of expensive instructors.
I don't think they're running out of money so much as they know they don't need to compete with USC this year. People are spooked by the most recent numbers coming out of USC (paired with the slide in the rankings which is meaningless anyway), even though that represents the largest class USC has ever had and really shouldn't be an indication of the future. So it means UCLA can afford to deny scholarships to some of us, knowing plenty of folks will gladly pay sticker, and USC becomes an especially good deal this year if you're dead-set on staying in LA.

MikeJD

Bronze

Post by MikeJD » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:58 pm

Glasseyes wrote:
MikeJD wrote:

I don't think they're running out of money so much as they know they don't need to compete with USC this year. People are spooked by the most recent numbers coming out of USC (paired with the slide in the rankings which is meaningless anyway), even though that represents the largest class USC has ever had and really shouldn't be an indication of the future. So it means UCLA can afford to deny scholarships to some of us, knowing plenty of folks will gladly pay sticker, and USC becomes an especially good deal this year if you're dead-set on staying in LA.

It's not just USC, it's lower ranked t-14 with a lot less money.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BroadwayCregg

New

Post by BroadwayCregg » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:19 pm

Checking in--submitted seat deposit, but also riding out a wait list.

Looking forward to meeting many of you in Westwood (most likely)!

salad.law

New

Post by salad.law » Fri May 09, 2014 3:27 pm

Hello! Long time lingerer here! Excited to join both TLS and UCLA Law!!

dobie1

New

Post by dobie1 » Wed May 14, 2014 4:16 pm

If anyone out there would be interested finding a house, preferably with a yard, let me know! (I have a large, well behaved dog) I've found some potential places in Culver City, Echo Park (not the sketchy part), and Silver Lake (near Trader Joe's). It would be nice to live with other law students, so just pm me and we can hopefully figure something out :D

W$RKliveWELL

Bronze

Post by W$RKliveWELL » Mon May 19, 2014 1:01 pm

did anyone who attended diversity weekend get their refund check yet?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

calmenda

New

Post by calmenda » Mon May 19, 2014 1:09 pm

I attended the Diversity Weekend and have not received my check. They warned me it would take months so I'm giving it until June before I politely follow up.

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Tue May 27, 2014 11:06 am

If there are any incoming military vets in the LA area please PM me. I am a UCLA Law alumni and would like to talk to you.

p.s. Don't go. UCLA sucks.

hmlee

Bronze

Post by hmlee » Tue May 27, 2014 2:37 pm

Hey everybody. Apologies for ducking in here. For anybody who is definitely attending UCLA as a member of the class of 2017: I work for a startup that operates online case briefing and networking tools for law students. We're currently looking for a campus rep for the upcoming school year. The pay is good and the work is minimal. If you think you'd be interested in chatting with me about this, or talking with one of our current reps, shoot me a PM.

Perdita

New

Post by Perdita » Wed May 28, 2014 6:29 pm

Anyone else who applied for housing receive their offer yet? I just got offered a place in Hilgard without parking, which I'm not thrilled about as it's more expensive than Weyburn and I'll be bringing my car. (Also, it seems like Weyburn is much more social?)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PennyProud

New

Post by PennyProud » Wed May 28, 2014 6:53 pm

Perdita wrote:Anyone else who applied for housing receive their offer yet? I just got offered a place in Hilgard without parking, which I'm not thrilled about as it's more expensive than Weyburn and I'll be bringing my car. (Also, it seems like Weyburn is much more social?)
Nope, what's you move-in date? I heard offers are sent based on who is moving in earlier.

Perdita

New

Post by Perdita » Wed May 28, 2014 7:06 pm

PennyProud wrote:
Perdita wrote:Anyone else who applied for housing receive their offer yet? I just got offered a place in Hilgard without parking, which I'm not thrilled about as it's more expensive than Weyburn and I'll be bringing my car. (Also, it seems like Weyburn is much more social?)
Nope, what's you move-in date? I heard offers are sent based on who is moving in earlier.
August 1, so you're probably right about that.

PennyProud

New

Post by PennyProud » Wed May 28, 2014 8:11 pm

Perdita wrote:
PennyProud wrote:
Hmm, may be you can appeal and get switched to Weyburn if folks decide not to except their housing offer (happens when students decide to live off campus for money reasons or decide not to come to UCLA). I would check in with housing and see what's possible. I worked in housing assignments at Cal, and we had a switch wait list that we worked off of when people declined their housing offers.

I selected August 12th. I'm not expecting any thing until mid-June at the earliest.

Perdita

New

Post by Perdita » Wed May 28, 2014 9:48 pm

PennyProud wrote:
Perdita wrote:
PennyProud wrote:
Hmm, may be you can appeal and get switched to Weyburn if folks decide not to except their housing offer (happens when students decide to live off campus for money reasons or decide not to come to UCLA). I would check in with housing and see what's possible. I worked in housing assignments at Cal, and we had a switch wait list that we worked off of when people declined their housing offers.

I selected August 12th. I'm not expecting any thing until mid-June at the earliest.
Yeah, I'm planning to call the housing office to see what my options are. I'm actually flexible on the move-in date (just chose an early one to be safe), so maybe that'll help. Otherwise, I suppose I'll have to choose between having a car and living on campus, since it seems prohibitively expensive to have both. Thanks for the advice - good to know there's some sort of precedent out there!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”