UCLA Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

Which welcome reception will you be attending?

Monday, March 10
41%
Sunday, April 6
59%

Total votes: 29

ohhdear

New

Re: UCLA Class of 2017

Post by ohhdear » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:45 pm

bonerland wrote:Checking in.

Has anyone received a merit scholarship notification in the mail after hearing nothing from Dean Schwartz over the phone?

I've seen people with similar or lower numbers than I report receiving merit scholarships and having been informed of it during the call.
Yeah, several people have mentioned that although Dean Schwartz didn't say anything over the phone, they received a scholarship letter along with their acceptance letter.

ninjagirl

New

Post by ninjagirl » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:44 pm

YouGoGlenCoCo wrote:Of those people going to ASW next Monday, has anyone responded to the email requesting to sit in on morning classes?
How soon after registering for the ASR do you get information about the schedule of events and that e-mail about the morning classes?

dehesse

New

Post by dehesse » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:18 pm

ninjagirl wrote:
YouGoGlenCoCo wrote:Of those people going to ASW next Monday, has anyone responded to the email requesting to sit in on morning classes?
How soon after registering for the ASR do you get information about the schedule of events and that e-mail about the morning classes?

+1. Just signed up for ASR but I'd love to know what classes are available to sit in on!

Hitchensian

Bronze

Post by Hitchensian » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:24 pm

ohhdear wrote:
bonerland wrote:Checking in.

Has anyone received a merit scholarship notification in the mail after hearing nothing from Dean Schwartz over the phone?

I've seen people with similar or lower numbers than I report receiving merit scholarships and having been informed of it during the call.
Yeah, several people have mentioned that although Dean Schwartz didn't say anything over the phone, they received a scholarship letter along with their acceptance letter.
I too did not receive any mention of a merit scholarship over the phone, but I also did not receive one with my acceptance letter. Am I just out of luck unless I initiate the conversation?

ninjagirl

New

Post by ninjagirl » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:39 pm

dehesse wrote:
ninjagirl wrote:

+1. Just signed up for ASR but I'd love to know what classes are available to sit in on!
I actually got the e-mail later the same day after registering for ASR. There's a huge selection spanning from the morning until afternoon before the reception starts.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Glasseyes

Silver

Post by Glasseyes » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:52 pm

Checking in. Still deciding if I'll be attending in the fall--either staying in LA to keep costs down or heading east for one of the lower T14; tough call to make til i finish negotiating $$--but I will definitely be at the reception on Monday, attending a morning class and so forth.

Has anyone who didn't receive merit scholarship info via phone or letter successfully been able to negotiate for any $$? The admissions email mentions they want to stay competitive with other offers, and I have received money from competitive schools, but it seems tough to get more when they haven't offered anything up front. Curious to hear how others have fared.

Estreetshuffler

New

Post by Estreetshuffler » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:08 pm

Can anyone tell me about general rates for apartments on or off campus in the area? In the college town I'm coming from average rent is probably around $400-600, I even paid $200 something one year. I know I'm in for a huge change, but what are some options to help save on that end?

YouGoGlenCoCo

New

Post by YouGoGlenCoCo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:09 pm

Estreetshuffler wrote:Can anyone tell me about general rates for apartments on or off campus in the area? In the college town I'm coming from average rent is probably around $400-600, I even paid $200 something one year. I know I'm in for a huge change, but what are some options to help save on that end?
From attending the ASW yesterday, I know that on campus housing is expensive. You're looking at anywhere between 1000-1300 per person.

http://map.ais.ucla.edu/go/1001143

This is where on campus law students live and it is not cheap. They were surprisingly nice though when I took the tours. Not large by any means but well maintained. I would advise looking on craigslist for someone renting out a room in a house or looking for a roommate. I know this sounds like a horror story waiting to happen but as long as you're smart about it you'll be fine.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:29 pm

I'm sneakily trying to decide if anyone I met on Monday is a TLSer...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

YouGoGlenCoCo

New

Post by YouGoGlenCoCo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:48 pm

fkt18 wrote:I'm sneakily trying to decide if anyone I met on Monday is a TLSer...
+1

BenjarvusGreenEllis

New

Post by BenjarvusGreenEllis » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:51 pm

YouGoGlenCoCo wrote:
fkt18 wrote:I'm sneakily trying to decide if anyone I met on Monday is a TLSer...
+1
I was

CookieDough

Bronze

Post by CookieDough » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:49 pm

One person I met referenced "the forums" which I'm guessing meant here and another I'd met at a previous event and he flat out mentioned tls lol

fatheranderson15

New

Post by fatheranderson15 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:59 pm

Who do we email for scholarship negotiation, Dean Schwartz or someone else? And on that note, has anyone had experience successfully negotiating for a larger scholarship?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

YouGoGlenCoCo

New

Post by YouGoGlenCoCo » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:15 pm

fatheranderson15 wrote:Who do we email for scholarship negotiation, Dean Schwartz or someone else? And on that note, has anyone had experience successfully negotiating for a larger scholarship?
If you already received a grant award you ought to have been sent an email confirming this grant. Merely reply to this email with your request. If you have no such email just email Dean Schwartz directly.

(This is what has been instructed by Talin)

And yes some other people have been successful

fatheranderson15

New

Post by fatheranderson15 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:57 pm

YouGoGlenCoCo wrote:
fatheranderson15 wrote:Who do we email for scholarship negotiation, Dean Schwartz or someone else? And on that note, has anyone had experience successfully negotiating for a larger scholarship?
If you already received a grant award you ought to have been sent an email confirming this grant. Merely reply to this email with your request. If you have no such email just email Dean Schwartz directly.

(This is what has been instructed by Talin)

And yes some other people have been successful
Gotcha. I didn't have an email for the scholarship, just told on the phone/then confirmed in the snail mail packet. Thanks for the help!

Pishee77

Bronze

Post by Pishee77 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:04 pm

BenjarvusGreenEllis wrote:
YouGoGlenCoCo wrote:
+1
I was
Me too. :shock: :)

patentpending

New

Post by patentpending » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:12 pm

How necessary is a car for a 1L at UCLA? I'm familiar with Westwood, so I know it's not an absolute for getting to the grocery, etc. But what about clinics and stuff? Does that impact the 1L life? Can I get by until after my first year without a car?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Frozinite

New

Post by Frozinite » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:28 pm

Aw man, why did no one tell me about this thread. I was hanging around the applicants thread the entire time, I would love to have met some TLSers at the ASD.

I was in Section 3 (which was filled with military and out-of-school-for-a-while/married/have kids folks) if anyone is wondering if they met me.

CookieDough

Bronze

Post by CookieDough » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:51 pm

Frozinite wrote:Aw man, why did no one tell me about this thread. I was hanging around the applicants thread the entire time, I would love to have met some TLSers at the ASD.

I was in Section 3 (which was filled with military and out-of-school-for-a-while/married/have kids folks) if anyone is wondering if they met me.
I definitely met you then lol

Frozinite

New

Post by Frozinite » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:30 pm

CookieDough wrote:
Frozinite wrote:Aw man, why did no one tell me about this thread. I was hanging around the applicants thread the entire time, I would love to have met some TLSers at the ASD.

Sweet.....so what happens now? Do we try to guess who in the room was the other? :? *awkward*

CookieDough

Bronze

Post by CookieDough » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:53 pm

Frozinite wrote:
CookieDough wrote:

Sweet.....so what happens now? Do we try to guess who in the room was the other? :? *awkward*
Pretty sure I already figured you out based on the major :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

wholahoop

New

Post by wholahoop » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:04 pm

Does anyone know if there is a copy of the scholarship letter that they sent in the admissions packet available online? I looked everywhere, but couldn't seem to find it on Lawnet.

pcthenls

Bronze

Post by pcthenls » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:20 pm

Checking in as of today.. OFF the waitlist and into Epstein! BOOM! So pumped. Looks like I got some reading to do to catch up with this thread. Late to the party is better than never!

Glasseyes

Silver

Post by Glasseyes » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:19 pm

CookieDough wrote:
Frozinite wrote:
CookieDough wrote:

Just caught up on this thread... I was in group 3 as well. Pretty sure I figured out Frozinite by major as well :)

CookieDough

Bronze

Post by CookieDough » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:56 pm

Glasseyes wrote:
CookieDough wrote:
Frozinite wrote:
CookieDough wrote:
Just caught up on this thread... I was in group 3 as well. Pretty sure I figured out Frozinite by major as well :)
Oh now you need to tell us who you are :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”