UCLA Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

Which welcome reception will you be attending?

Monday, March 10
41%
Sunday, April 6
59%

Total votes: 29

joshringu

New

UCLA Class of 2017

Post by joshringu » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:47 pm

Looks like no one has started anything for UCLA yet...

Congrats, everyone!

Admitted Student Receptions:
Monday, March 10, 2014
Sunday, April 6, 2014

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/504029469694035

TLS Users Committed:
stevie1138
Last edited by Slytherpuff on Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:49 pm, edited 6 times in total.

omzster67

Bronze

Re: UCLA Class of 2017

Post by omzster67 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:20 pm

I was hoping someone would get around to making this!

Looking forward to visiting campus in the spring!

frcarpen

New

Post by frcarpen » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:23 pm

What are you guys doing for housing? I am married so I think that will limit what the university can offer for university housing.

Serett

Post by Serett » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:40 pm

Checking in from around a month ago. I'm not sure where I'll end up yet, but coming from the Upper Midwest, Southern California's weather sounds heavenly. Then again, temps in the 30s would be heavenly to me right about now.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:47 pm

Serett wrote:Checking in from around a month ago. I'm not sure where I'll end up yet, but coming from the Upper Midwest, Southern California's weather sounds heavenly. Then again, temps in the 30s would be heavenly to me right about now.
Welcome to California then... I'm in Nor Cal but we're having an unseasonably warm month with daily highs of about 70 (lows in the 30s though).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Serett

Post by Serett » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:00 pm

fkt18 wrote:
Serett wrote:Checking in from around a month ago. I'm not sure where I'll end up yet, but coming from the Upper Midwest, Southern California's weather sounds heavenly. Then again, temps in the 30s would be heavenly to me right about now.
Welcome to California then... I'm in Nor Cal but we're having an unseasonably warm month with daily highs of about 70 (lows in the 30s though).
Be still, my beating heart. It's 23 and snowing here, and this is actually the nicest it has been in awhile (save for a day or two between the Polar Vortex and the dip back down where we did get into the thirties, but there was so much snow during that time, schools were cancelled anyway).

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:26 pm

Ooh, looks like Justice Sotomayor is coming next week!

BoyOhBoyle

New

Post by BoyOhBoyle » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:45 pm

Serett wrote:
fkt18 wrote:
Be still, my beating heart. It's 23 and snowing here, and this is actually the nicest it has been in awhile (save for a day or two between the Polar Vortex and the dip back down where we did get into the thirties, but there was so much snow during that time, schools were cancelled anyway).
I grew up in Minnesota and lived in LA from 2004 to 2011. You honestly cannot beat the weather there, it makes life so much easier! :) I do think there are downsides to living in LA (SO many people) but the weather is definitely a HUGE plus!

gta

Bronze

Post by gta » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:55 am

Joining this thread after the call this morning. UCLA's definitely a contender... Hard to beat that LA weather.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

omzster67

Bronze

Post by omzster67 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:51 pm

BoyOhBoyle wrote:
Serett wrote:
fkt18 wrote:
I grew up in Minnesota and lived in LA from 2004 to 2011. You honestly cannot beat the weather there, it makes life so much easier! :) I do think there are downsides to living in LA (SO many people) but the weather is definitely a HUGE plus!
I grew up in Minnesota as well..which makes this all even more enticing

frcarpen

New

Post by frcarpen » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:57 pm

I almost froze to death interviewing at northwestern a while back, UCLA weather was all that was on my mind.

djrlaw

New

Post by djrlaw » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:23 pm

Checking in looking forward to the fall

blink

Bronze

Post by blink » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:58 am

Anyone hitting the march 10 ASD? If so, what are your travel plans and are you able to stay with current students? I'd like to fly in in time to see some more of UCLA over the weekend before, but idk if that's common

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:14 pm

blink wrote:Anyone hitting the march 10 ASD? If so, what are your travel plans and are you able to stay with current students? I'd like to fly in in time to see some more of UCLA over the weekend before, but idk if that's common
I'm planning to go, although my travel plans are up in the air so far (I may drive one way and then fly back). I'm not sure what I'm doing for lodging on Sunday/Monday yet though.

joshringu

New

Post by joshringu » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:33 pm

Joining this thread now after the call yesterday! Might commute.. But the traffic..

omzster67

Bronze

Post by omzster67 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:54 pm

fkt18 wrote:
blink wrote:Anyone hitting the march 10 ASD? If so, what are your travel plans and are you able to stay with current students? I'd like to fly in in time to see some more of UCLA over the weekend before, but idk if that's common
I'm planning to go, although my travel plans are up in the air so far (I may drive one way and then fly back). I'm not sure what I'm doing for lodging on Sunday/Monday yet though.
Any word on travel/lodging stipends?

fatheranderson15

New

Post by fatheranderson15 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:04 pm

Checking in! Looking forward to seeing UCLA in person in the spring.
omzster67 wrote:
fkt18 wrote:
There's a $200 stipend/reimbursement for airfare. As for lodging, I don't know but I'd guess there's nothing (seems like that would've been mentioned along with the airfare stipend).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

blink

Bronze

Post by blink » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:41 pm

fatheranderson15 wrote:Checking in! Looking forward to seeing UCLA in person in the spring.
omzster67 wrote:
fkt18 wrote:
There's a $200 stipend/reimbursement for airfare. As for lodging, I don't know but I'd guess there's nothing (seems like that would've been mentioned along with the airfare stipend).
Admissions said that admitted students usually shack up in hotels. I simply don't have the funds for two nights in a hotel in L.A. right now, especially since my flight is twice the $200 stipend. It's frusterating because I really want to visit and I got a nice scholarship, but it's not playing out well.

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:43 pm

Airbnb is where it's at! Also, it's a great way to stay in actual apartments in neighborhoods where you might want to live!

fatheranderson15

New

Post by fatheranderson15 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:08 pm

blink wrote:Admissions said that admitted students usually shack up in hotels. I simply don't have the funds for two nights in a hotel in L.A. right now, especially since my flight is twice the $200 stipend. It's frusterating because I really want to visit and I got a nice scholarship, but it's not playing out well.
Yeah, I can imagine. Cost of the flight for me is definitely over the stipend, but luckily I have friends/family to stay with when I visit. Otherwise, I don't think I'd be able to swing it. Hope something works out for you!

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:50 pm

fatheranderson15 wrote:There's a $200 stipend/reimbursement for airfare. As for lodging, I don't know but I'd guess there's nothing (seems like that would've been mentioned along with the airfare stipend).
Where did you find information about the $200 stipend? I haven't heard anything yet, but I'm wondering if that's because I'm from CA and not eligible for a stipend.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

YouGoGlenCoCo

New

Post by YouGoGlenCoCo » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:19 pm

fkt18 wrote:
fatheranderson15 wrote:There's a $200 stipend/reimbursement for airfare. As for lodging, I don't know but I'd guess there's nothing (seems like that would've been mentioned along with the airfare stipend).
Where did you find information about the $200 stipend? I haven't heard anything yet, but I'm wondering if that's because I'm from CA and not eligible for a stipend.
People seem to say that this travel stipend is available anecdotally but I searched and found nothing to support this on UCLA's webpage (not to say this isn't accurate, just that I did not find anything). The email I got from Schwartz only had a link to RSVP and nothing more. But, like you I am in CA so I wonder if that is why I didn't receive any information. I will be driving up from San Diego to attend this so if anyone is on my way/needs a ride just let me know.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:29 pm

Richard.Thaddaeus wrote:People seem to say that this travel stipend is available anecdotally but I searched and found nothing to support this on UCLA's webpage (not to say this isn't accurate, just that I did not find anything). The email I got from Schwartz only had a link to RSVP and nothing more. But, like you I am in CA so I wonder if that is why I didn't receive any information. I will be driving up from San Diego to attend this so if anyone is on my way/needs a ride just let me know.
Okay, glad I'm not alone in not seeing the stipend then! I'm coming from NorCal so the $200 would be helpful for gas or airfare...

fatheranderson15

New

Post by fatheranderson15 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:33 pm

fkt18 wrote:
Richard.Thaddaeus wrote:People seem to say that this travel stipend is available anecdotally but I searched and found nothing to support this on UCLA's webpage (not to say this isn't accurate, just that I did not find anything). The email I got from Schwartz only had a link to RSVP and nothing more. But, like you I am in CA so I wonder if that is why I didn't receive any information. I will be driving up from San Diego to attend this so if anyone is on my way/needs a ride just let me know.
Okay, glad I'm not alone in not seeing the stipend then! I'm coming from NorCal so the $200 would be helpful for gas or airfare...
Sorry, I should have been more clear about where I found out about it. It wasn't online, I was told about it over the phone when I was admitted (maybe there was a note saying I was out of state and that's why it was mentioned?). Maybe email Dean Schwartz saying you were told about a reimbursement stipend and you wondered if that was available to you?

EDIT: Oh, and when I got a follow-up email about the reimbursement, it stated flat-out that it is only available for airfare. Just FYI if you were hoping to get it for gas instead.

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:49 pm

fkt18 wrote:

I just emailed admissions and specifically asked them. I cited the fact that I'm getting married in March, and don't have a lot of spare cash around. I'm coming from the midwest, though, so I don't know about CA residents.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”