Chicago Law Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
Canof09

New

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Post by Canof09 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:39 pm

Did anyone here apply for the Patino Fellowship? I am wondering when they are going to let us know if we made it to the next round or not.

Robb

Bronze

Post by Robb » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:51 pm

FYI the times for most of y'all's classes are up @ classes.uchicago.edu:

Elements TF 1035AM-1215PM
CivPro MWR 130-235PM
Contracts MWR 830-935AM (sorry guys...)
Torts MWR 945AM-1050AM
LRW TF 920AM-1025AM OR TF 140PM-245PM

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:23 pm

Robb wrote:FYI the times for most of y'all's classes are up @ classes.uchicago.edu:

CivPro MWR 130-235PM
Torts MWR 945AM-1050AM
Wow. Makes our schedule for last year look even better. Sorry, guys.

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:44 pm

elterrible78 wrote:
Robb wrote:FYI the times for most of y'all's classes are up @ classes.uchicago.edu:

CivPro MWR 130-235PM
Torts MWR 945AM-1050AM
For the sections that get out at noon TF, not too bad.

Have they assigned y'all into sections yet? I don't remember when it happened last year. If a section gets Baird, Strauss and Levmore at once, count your lucky stars.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:47 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
elterrible78 wrote:

CivPro MWR 130-235PM
Torts MWR 945AM-1050AM

Have they assigned y'all into sections yet? I don't remember when it happened last year. If a section gets Baird, Strauss and Levmore at once, count your lucky stars.
They still have about a month for that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DetectiveStabler

New

Post by DetectiveStabler » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:50 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
elterrible78 wrote:

CivPro MWR 130-235PM
Torts MWR 945AM-1050AM

Haven't heard anything about our sections yet. The August email made it sound like we'll find out in September. Would any of you be willing to give us a rundown on what to expect from some of the 1L professors?

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:59 pm

DetectiveStabler wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:
elterrible78 wrote:

CivPro MWR 130-235PM
Torts MWR 945AM-1050AM

Haven't heard anything about our sections yet. The August email made it sound like we'll find out in September. Would any of you be willing to give us a rundown on what to expect from some of the 1L professors?
Strauss - awesome, cold calls are a breeze. Reading doesn't matter much in this class, he'll tell you the little nuggets you need to know for the exam
Henderson - awesome too, but his exam was a silly joke. Reading matters little in this class. His class is very dogmatic so if you are a shitlib you may want to watch your blood pressure. his cold calls can be tough because you could be on the hook for the entire class.
McAdams - funny guy, can be a little dry, but very effective teacher and his exams are straightforward
Baird - entertaining in class, but I didn't feel like I learned much from him. Chirelstein is a big help IMO. Also rambles a lot about the development of the law, none of which was helpful for the exam.
Levmore - again, reading doesn't matter for his class. Don't be snide during cold calls, don't gun, and you may be spared from his ridicule.
Strahilevitz - everyone seems to like this guy but I found him boring and robotic. got pretty tired of his voice after two long quarters. He also deducts points for typos. On the flipside he's a very effective, organized lecturer. Probably don't need supplements in his class.
Wood - Supplements are important here, the casebook is awful and as the material gets harder she gets more and more useless

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:12 pm

Elements:

Strauss: Wonderful human being. Kind of like a genius-level teddy bear. Super nice cold caller who will massage whatever shitty idea you spewed out into a succinct and clear one. Elements is a little boring but I looked back on that class with a lot of fondness, especially since it's replaced by a doctrinal class. So enjoy it while you can.

Stone: None of us have had him but I hear amazing things. Also very intelligent and hilariously into himself. He was appointed to Obama's NSA commission or something and turned down a federal judgeship so I guess he kind of is a big deal. People loved his class. If you have him for elements he focuses on three discrete topics, one of which I think is freedom of speech. Might even make you read his own book lol.

McAdams: GREAT for crim, which I'll discuss below, but I heard he was a little boring for elements. Maybe not his thing. Someone else can weigh in.

Civ Pro:

Buss: Really, really nice person. Kind and caring, but isn't afraid to push back a little on her callbacks. I wasn't a huge fan of her class. She talks SUPER fast and tries to unpack some complex ideas in a very short amount of time. I did fine in her class but that was thanks to Richard Freer and not Buss.

Hubbard: Heard good and bad things about him but never taken him. I've heard he makes some solid movie references in his class so he can't be all bad.

Casey: Dude's like 35 and worked at Wacthell and then made partner at Kirkland. So I assume he kills kittens in his spare time or something. None of us had him last year but I heard he's a little too smart for what he is teaching. Like he understands but no one else really gets what he's saying. But I could be wrong.

Crim:

McAdams: HILARIOUS. Pretty solid teacher and all around enjoyable class. We had a pretty terrible first quarter crim professor so it was so much better second quarter.

Property:

Helmholtz: LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Strahilevitz: The opposite of the Hammer. Really nice and extremely good teacher. Probably my favorite all around class. It's hard to make property interesting.

Fennell: Wonderful human being and great teacher. Maybe a little goofy at times, but that is part of her charm. She makes slides for each class which she puts on chalk so you can be more sparse with your notes and really pay attention in her class. I had her for Local government law and it was one of my favorite classes. Also very straightforward final.

Contracts:

Baird: My favorite professor. I didn't understand contracts so much but I loved every single day in his class. He will talk about history, movies, the opera basically anything that tangentially relates to the cases an judges deciding them. Cutest and nicest dude in the law school IMO.

Posner: People hate Posner but he sounds hilarious. Wish I had him instead of Morrison. SUPER DRY humor. British people probably miss that he's joking.

Henderson: Wasn't a huge fan but didn't totally hate class. He spews out tons of cases that aren't in the reading so I suggest getting an older person's outline.

Levmore: His class is nothing if not entertaining. He has the class dying of laughter most days. Pretty crazy cold caller so just be prepared to get shit on once or twice per quarter. You end up understanding him maybe halfway or three quarters through the class. Probably don't need to do the reading, because his thoughts are pretty different from regular doctrine. Henderson asked us first day if anyone knew what the elements of negligence were (which is a very reasonable question) and no one knew lol.

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:19 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:snip
I agree with basically 100% of this, excluding profs I didn't have.

<3 Douglas. I think he gets a little too much guff for not teaching Contracts effectively, but I also get where it's coming from. My pet theory: he teaches Contracts really well if you intuitively understand Contracts, and really poorly if you don't. Still a really enjoyable class either way.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:47 pm

DetectiveStabler wrote: Haven't heard anything about our sections yet. The August email made it sound like we'll find out in September. Would any of you be willing to give us a rundown on what to expect from some of the 1L professors?
I'll give it a go for the ones I had, and word-of-mouth from my classmates for the others (this definitely has the potential to devolve quickly):

ELEMENTS (and just by-the by, I wondered what use this class was for almost the entire quarter, but as 1L year wore on, it definitely showed its value) -

Strauss: I had him. I worship the ground he walks on. Probably the most universally revered of the 1L professors last year. There is a certain tier of professor around the school that's just a cut above everyone else, and Strauss is in it, but he's not polarizing like the other demi-gods (I think Strahilevitz might belong in this category too; if not now, within a couple years). I've not heard anyone say anything negative about him. Can make the most retarded cold call sound genius, and seeks to do it. Unbelievably smart. I mean, unbelievably. Just a wonderful guy, who has taught Elements way more than anyone else.

McAdams: Haven't heard much about him, but what I've heard about his Elements class isn't great (Crim seemed to be a different story, though). I'll let others fill in here, because most of the people I have heard from about him probably browse this thread.

Stone: No idea. Was supposed to have him last year, but he ended up not teaching Elements.

CIV PRO -
Hubbard: Had him, liked him a lot. Has a very dry sense of humor that is hilarious if you get it, and you won't even notice if you don't. Sometimes seems to get annoyed, but only at really annoying things, and even then can make a joke about it (highlight of fall quarter was a fellow student's phone ringing on her birthday). I learned a lot in there.

Buss: A lot of people really like her, and she always seems very nice when I see her around the school. I know at least one person who decided to come to U of C based on some kind of interaction he'd had with her in the past. I've heard she can be a little flighty, when it comes to organization, but I don't know that first-hand. Will use a different book from what you'll probably have for CivPro II.

CONTRACTS (Fall) -
Baird: Did not have him, but very widely liked. Has a reputation for being a little quirky. Has always struck me as quite friendly when I've talked with him. Is not everyone's cup of tea, but seems to be most's.

Omri: Some people really like him, some people don't. I honestly don't get the ones who don't. I thought he was great. Very nice guy, very smart, I thought his performance in class was fantastic. Cold-calls in a slightly different way, and relies a lot more on volunteers to move the class along. He gets visibly exasperated and irritated if you obviously haven't done the reading. And he should. Do the damn reading. For my money, the most interesting professor I met last year.

CONTRACTS (Winter) -
E. Posner (I guess Omri is teaching two quarters this year since Morrison left): He was the professor I liked least all year, at least from the outset. He didn't seem to give a shit about teaching. He definitely grew on me as the quarter wore on, though. The driest sense of humor I have ever seen. Is so comically NOT an "everyman" that you'll find yourself laughing out loud when he talks about shit like Rent-A-Center that he clearly has 0 firsthand (or seven second- or third-hand) experience with. Probably overall still my least favorite instructor from 1L, but that's not as bad as it seems, just because everyone else is so incredible. He has written a supplement that is pretty much money for following along in his class, and is very "by the book", meaning that he just kind of goes case-by-case in class.

TORTS (Fall) -
Henderson: So tall and skinny it's ridiculous. Will wear the most FedSocky duck pants you have ever seen. Generally unashamedly conservative. Absolutely hilarious. Really nice guy in class, and you will learn a lot from him. Kind of Levmore-lite in terms of his approach to the material, meaning that this was probably the most law-and-econy class we had (Torts, generally), but Henderson doesn't go completely to hell with the joke (and that's not a knock on law-and-econ, which I love). Will say borderline inappropriate things, and tell the most absurdly funny self-deprecating stories. I really enjoyed his class, and he has quite a cult-of-personality around him among my classmates. Lots of people who had Levmore for first-quarter Torts bemoaned the fact that they'd have to switch over to Henderson in the winter, but many of them ended up preferring Hendo.

Levmore: I have extremely mixed feelings about Levmore. First, the positive: the guy is extraordinarily smart, has a huge heart, and his class is, for most people, a lot of fun (it was for me). Has a method for cold-calling which, as long as you're not sitting at the end of a row, will let you know that your turn is coming up, so you're not completely blindsided (and often will let the person at the end of the row know just before class starts that (s)he is up). Will definitely stretch your mind. Now the negative: He'll make fun of you, and it gets to be borderline cruel. He recognizes this, and tries to tone it down, but he is who he is. Interrupts you a LOT, so if you're even on the verge of making a point, it can take forever. Has a "schtick" which wears pretty thin for a lot of people by the end of the quarter (it did for me). His finals are absolute nightmares (but you'll expect it, and they're nightmares for everyone). The least "by the book" professor I had, which means that what he teaches you is Levmore-torts, which bears little resemblance to what you get in the book (I know there are some who disagree about this, but it seems to be a solid majority opinion).

TORTS (Winter)
Fennell: Weird - Levmore's not teaching two quarters? Anyway, Fennell is extremely nice, extremely by-the-book, and has the worst sense of humor ever. Cringe-worthy, but she's trying so hard. Can be a little boring. I didn't have her for Torts, but had her for Property. I don't expect she'll be much different in Torts. The "by-the-book" thing was really kind of an oasis for a number of my classmates, who ended up taking their elective with her just because she was so straightforward. Even though I was bored out of my mind quite often in her class, I did like her.

CRIMINAL (Winter)
Masur: I was blown away by how good this guy was. Fairly young, but definitely a rising star in the school. Great sense of humor, and maybe did the best job at being straightforward enough to follow, but still adding a ton of value in class. Has this great way of cold-calling in which he'll have one student "defend" and another "prosecute" and go back-and-forth with arguments. I really enjoyed the class, and was mightily impressed by Masur's teaching. Exam was a trip, but fair.

McAdams: Didn't have him so, again, can't say much. I heard a lot more good about his Crim class than I did his Elements class, but some of that might have to do with the fact that he taught second quarter Crim for a section whose first quarter Crim teacher was a visiting professor who was easily the most widely reviled 1L professor last year (she was like the anti-Strahilevitz in this regard). McAdams could have probably roundly sucked and still seemed like a baller compared to her. I've heard good things about McAdams from 2Ls, 3Ls, and alum, too, for what it's worth.

CRIMINAL (Spring)
Miles: I retract what I said about E. Posner being my least favorite 1L professor. Miles was. Hands down. And not in the way that I said Posner was (i.e., not just because out of a group of great professors, someone has to be the worst). I guess I should caveat this by saying I was way over school by the time spring quarter was winding down, but I actually found myself pissed off to have to show up for Miles's class. He seems to be into it and enjoy teaching, but I just couldn't stand it. To sum up quickly: you know how you hear that law school is going to be this incredible exercise in ambiguity, and there's no right answer? That's largely true, but Miles is that on steroids. He can manage to take the most straightforward topic and muddy it up to the point that you don't know what the hell is going on, and then just drop it. I never knew what the good goddamn was going on in there. In his defense, he had to teach crappier material (group criminality, corporate criminality, theft) than Masur (all the fundamental concepts, and then homicide in all its flavors), but I just hated it. And his exam was the worst. Everyone I talked to was pissed off about it. Not a bad guy - actually quite friendly (at least in class), but easily my least favorite class all year.

PROPERTY (Winter)
Strahilevitz: Did not have him, but was definitely universally loved. I mean, everyone loved this dude. I interacted with him a little outside the classroom, and he's just a great, great guy. Others will be able to fill you in better, but be thankful if you get him, not because the other Property professors are bad, but because he's just so damn good. From what I understand, gives you some advance notice if you're going to get called on.

Helmholtz: LOL.

PROPERTY (Spring)
Fennell: Everything I said about her above is based on my experience in her Property class.

CIV PRO II
Casey: No idea. He didn't teach any 1L classes last year. I get the idea that people seem to like him.
Wood: None of my actual friends liked having class with her, and I get the feeling (though I can't confirm it at all, it's just a feeling) that those who did like her class were primarily in awe of being taught by the chief judge of the 7th circuit. Because of her own schedule, the class schedule was erratic, people got assigned a shit-ton of reading (much of which wasn't discussed). I didn't have her, so I should let others opine here.

And that's it. I'm sure others will chime in with their takes, but that's mine. In general, you're all very very lucky boys and girls (or men and women, if you're the kinds of super-serious people who get your knickers in a knot over things like that) to get the chance to learn from such amazing scholars and teachers. The line they feed you about the professor here being able to teach is no BS.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:36 pm

Where are you seeing who's teaching after Autumn? Is it just guesses based on last year/doesn't change much year-to-year?

Robb

Bronze

Post by Robb » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:04 pm

On the c/o 2016 FB group someone made a spreadsheet based on the professors' pages. Here's a copy: http://files.mylsn.info/files/C635VvS3fi.xlsx

I'd like to give that person credit, but I think they wouldn't very much appreciate me posting their name to TLS. If you'd like to see who made it, feel free to join the C/O 2016 FB Group

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:22 pm

Robb wrote:On the c/o 2016 FB group someone made a spreadsheet based on the professors' pages. Here's a copy: http://files.mylsn.info/files/C635VvS3fi.xlsx

I'd like to give that person credit, but I think they wouldn't very much appreciate me posting their name to TLS. If you'd like to see who made it, feel free to join the C/O 2016 FB Group
Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DetectiveStabler

New

Post by DetectiveStabler » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:27 pm

Thanks for the responses! They were definitely helpful. :D

Since Helmholtz is listed as teaching property during the winter and spring quarters, does that mean that half the class will have him both quarters? Or do the sections switch professors?

...Clearly i'm concerned. :shock:

WheninLaw

Silver

Post by WheninLaw » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:36 pm

DetectiveStabler wrote:Thanks for the responses! They were definitely helpful. :D

Since Helmholtz is listed as teaching property during the winter and spring quarters, does that mean that half the class will have him both quarters? Or do the sections switch professors?

...Clearly i'm concerned. :shock:
I had Helmhotz 1L year. Unlike Levmore/Henderson, the lucky class that gets him has him for both quarters. I don't even want to write a description - it's better to find out for yourself. LOL is pretty accurate. There is a supplement that is basically required, but cross that bridge later. My favorite part is when he told us the week before the exam that it would be closed-book no notes. Wahoo!

Cheers to the 2L's for doing some really great descriptions. Spot-on for the most part (I found elterrible78's to be the most accurate).

Holy shit 8:30 am class.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:47 pm

HEY

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:21 pm

Co-signed the 2Ls opinions.

Regarding the ones they couldn't comment on:

Fennell for Torts is somewhat boring but she is very straight forward and you will actually learn torts. She is very nice and clear and will repeat things several times to make it crystal clear.

Casey for CPII was great imo but that was not universal. He was confusing at times (largely because CPII is confusing) but he really really cares about everyone understanding it and will go the extra mile to help. Expects a lot out of cold calls but will move on judgment free if you are floundering.

I hated Stone for elements. Dude has a massive ego, is somewhat antagonistic, and shamelessly plugs his liberal ideals as much as Henderson does his conservative ones. Most of my issues with him are his personality and demeanor, as an instructor he was pretty average. A lot of that is other teachers being better and elements being hit or miss as a class.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:00 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

c0llegeStUd3nt

New

Post by c0llegeStUd3nt » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:12 am

Wow, thank you 2Ls for posting this info. Making me very nervous to find out my section/schedule lol

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:29 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robb

Bronze

Post by Robb » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:42 pm

Fall exam schedule for those who want to plan winter flights: http://www.law.uchicago.edu/files/file/ ... hedule.pdf

Looks like your in-person exam is on December 11th (Elements), then you have a take home on the 15th (Civil Procedure).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cnaw

New

Post by cnaw » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:04 pm

Robb wrote:Fall exam schedule for those who want to plan winter flights: http://www.law.uchicago.edu/files/file/ ... hedule.pdf

Looks like your in-person exam is on December 11th (Elements), then you have a take home on the 15th (Civil Procedure).
and for the record, plenty of people fly out immediately after Elements and do the Civ Pro take home away from Chicago.

lawschool2014hopeful

Silver

Post by lawschool2014hopeful » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:37 pm

Hey guys, regent said i need to get renters insurance and referred me to statefarm, i am just wondering is there a cheaper option out there?

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:36 pm

lawschool2014hopeful wrote:Hey guys, regent said i need to get renters insurance and referred me to statefarm, i am just wondering is there a cheaper option out there?
You could do what I did and ignore their advice.

Robb

Bronze

Post by Robb » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:42 pm

It shouldn't be that expensive... Roommate took care of ours and it's like $10/month from State Farm?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”