Chicago Law Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
Leo

Bronze

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Post by Leo » Fri May 09, 2014 11:10 am

webbdp3 wrote:Has anyone heard back from Chi who submitted a second merit aid reconsideration request? I sent one a while ago but haven't heard anything back, not even a confirmation that they received it?
I have. I submitted mine a few days before the deposit deadline, and got a response the day before the deadline. It's likely that they're moving slower now that the deadline has passed and you've already deposited.

webbdp3

New

Post by webbdp3 » Fri May 09, 2014 12:37 pm

Thanks for the response. Any inkling as to when Chi might start getting back to people now that the deadline has passed ??

Leo

Bronze

Post by Leo » Fri May 09, 2014 12:55 pm

webbdp3 wrote:Thanks for the response. Any inkling as to when Chi might start getting back to people now that the deadline has passed ??
Sorry, not a clue. On the bright side, they were pretty receptive to my second request, and I'm sure they will be receptive to yours, too.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Fri May 09, 2014 1:05 pm

I think it's a good sign they haven't wholesale denied your second requests. They might be seeing how the rest of their admits and scholarship allocations shake out.

webbdp3

New

Post by webbdp3 » Fri May 09, 2014 3:04 pm

Word. I'll sit tight-- thanks, both of you, for the help!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Sat May 10, 2014 9:32 am

Leo wrote:
webbdp3 wrote:Thanks for the response. Any inkling as to when Chi might start getting back to people now that the deadline has passed ??
Sorry, not a clue. On the bright side, they were pretty receptive to my second request, and I'm sure they will be receptive to yours, too.
Did you submit that Scholarship Review Form again, or did you just email the office?

Leo

Bronze

Post by Leo » Sat May 10, 2014 11:46 am

cotiger wrote:
Leo wrote:
Did you submit that Scholarship Review Form again, or did you just email the office?
Emailed someone in admissions directly. Figured it'd be harder to ignore me that way.

webbdp3

New

Post by webbdp3 » Sat May 10, 2014 12:57 pm

Leo wrote:
cotiger wrote:
Leo wrote:
Emailed someone in admissions directly. Figured it'd be harder to ignore me that way.
+1

drawstring

Gold

Post by drawstring » Sat May 10, 2014 7:12 pm

Who did you email?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Leo

Bronze

Post by Leo » Sat May 10, 2014 7:43 pm

drawstring wrote:Who did you email?
Dean Perry

PearlPoet

New

Post by PearlPoet » Mon May 12, 2014 9:27 pm

Friends,

Thank you already to everyone who shared housing advice a while back. It was very helpful, and my wife and I just heard back from Graduate Housing with an opening in the Fairfax building. Could anyone familiar with the building share any thoughts about life there? My wife and I are especially interested because we have a son who will turn one in June, and we have heard Fairfax attracts a large number of families. Likewise, the play areas (both inside and outside) sound like great amenities. One question I had was about the safety of the area that far north in Hyde Park. I have had people recommend not living north of 51st, and so I wondered if I should feel iffy about living on it. Is the parking lot located right there or does it require a short walk. Another question I had was whether or not there are any restaurants, stores, libraries, etc. within walking distance. My wife will have a car, but she loves to walk if she can.

Thank you again!

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Mon May 12, 2014 10:49 pm

PearlPoet wrote:Friends,

Thank you already to everyone who shared housing advice a while back. It was very helpful, and my wife and I just heard back from Graduate Housing with an opening in the Fairfax building. Could anyone familiar with the building share any thoughts about life there? My wife and I are especially interested because we have a son who will turn one in June, and we have heard Fairfax attracts a large number of families. Likewise, the play areas (both inside and outside) sound like great amenities. One question I had was about the safety of the area that far north in Hyde Park. I have had people recommend not living north of 51st, and so I wondered if I should feel iffy about living on it. Is the parking lot located right there or does it require a short walk. Another question I had was whether or not there are any restaurants, stores, libraries, etc. within walking distance. My wife will have a car, but she loves to walk if she can.

Thank you again!
I don't live in the building and I'm not sure anyone on this board does (that I know of), but it's on the path of the 172 and a couple blocks west of where most 1Ls live. It looks quite nice from the outside.

1) I wouldn't worry about safety there. 51st is a well-traveled, well-lit street. You're far enough east that it's just not a big worry, in general. 51st starts getting more dicey once you get west of about Drexel or so. But this far east, it's fine. I mean don't walk around with your phone out and headphones on at 2am, but that's true everywhere in Hyde Park.

2) If it's the building I'm thinking of, the parking lot is across the street to the east. But someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

3) Two blocks south is 53rd Street, which has the majority of stores and restaurants in Hyde Park. Very walkable to almost anything you'd want to go to within Hyde Park. There's a super cool public library a few blocks north at about 48th and Blackstone (highly recommend checking it out for the interior design alone). The law school's a bit far but there's a 172 stop within a block of the building.

Robb

Bronze

Post by Robb » Mon May 12, 2014 11:16 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:2) If it's the building I'm thinking of, the parking lot is across the street to the east. But someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Indeedie: http://i.imgur.com/UIEPwSM.png

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

eliminatorjr

Bronze

Post by eliminatorjr » Tue May 13, 2014 10:17 am

PearlPoet wrote:Friends,

Thank you again!
How long did it take for you to get an offer from Grad Housing?

W$RKliveWELL

Bronze

Post by W$RKliveWELL » Tue May 13, 2014 6:21 pm

has anyone got their reimbursement check from their visit?

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Tue May 13, 2014 10:16 pm

W$RKliveWELL wrote:has anyone got their reimbursement check from their visit?
Nope :(

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Tue May 13, 2014 10:41 pm

W$RKliveWELL wrote:has anyone got their reimbursement check from their visit?
Got it yesterday

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PearlPoet

New

Post by PearlPoet » Wed May 14, 2014 8:44 am

Beepboop, thank you for the information! That was very helpful, and I think we are leaning toward accepting the offer now.

eliminatorjr, it took us about six weeks to hear back, but I'm not sure they make you an offer more than 30 days away from your projected move-in date.

UChicago2017

New

Post by UChicago2017 » Wed May 14, 2014 11:37 pm

edit
Last edited by UChicago2017 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hmlee

Bronze

Post by hmlee » Sat May 24, 2014 12:19 pm

Hey everybody. Apologies for ducking in here. For anybody who is definitely attending Chicago as a member of the class of 2017: I work for a startup that operates online case briefing and networking tools for law students. We're currently looking for a campus rep for the upcoming school year. The pay is good and the work is minimal. If you think you'd be interested in chatting with me about this, or talking with one of our current reps, shoot me a PM.

JDeezy

Bronze

Post by JDeezy » Thu May 29, 2014 4:47 pm

Anyone else having trouble finding the "my financial aid" section that we are supposed to use to fill out our loan applications?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ricky-Bobby

Silver

Post by Ricky-Bobby » Thu May 29, 2014 4:50 pm

JDeezy wrote:Anyone else having trouble finding the "my financial aid" section that we are supposed to use to fill out our loan applications?
http://my.uchicago.edu > log in (top right) > (use CNet ID to log in) > Finances (click it) > My Financial Aid (click it) > Documents

JDeezy

Bronze

Post by JDeezy » Thu May 29, 2014 6:58 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
JDeezy wrote:Anyone else having trouble finding the "my financial aid" section that we are supposed to use to fill out our loan applications?
http://my.uchicago.edu > log in (top right) > (use CNet ID to log in) > Finances (click it) > My Financial Aid (click it) > Documents
Gracias. Got it.

jaesonko

Bronze

Post by jaesonko » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:12 am

Sorry I'm probably blind but is there some sort of checklist of when/where we're supposed to send in our transcripts/immunization/etc? I feel like I should be doing something that I haven't

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:01 am

jaesonko wrote:Sorry I'm probably blind but is there some sort of checklist of when/where we're supposed to send in our transcripts/immunization/etc? I feel like I should be doing something that I haven't
Have you guys started getting monthly emails yet? It will be in one of those. I think it was in our July one and you had to do all of that shit by like the end of August so don't worry yet.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”