Northwestern Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Thu May 01, 2014 12:55 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
Leo wrote:How does one go about withdrawing after depositing?
I sent an email. They sent back the law school equivalent of "kthanx bye."
I was a nice kthxbai though.
I felt bad : (

Ricky-Bobby

Silver

Post by Ricky-Bobby » Thu May 01, 2014 12:59 pm

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:
Leo wrote:How does one go about withdrawing after depositing?
I sent an email. They sent back the law school equivalent of "kthanx bye."
I was a nice kthxbai though.
I felt bad : (
Me too, because they were super nice while dealing with my shenanigans and weird requests.

coolbean2013

Bronze

Post by coolbean2013 » Thu May 01, 2014 4:59 pm

Magnalum wrote:2 things:

-Fantasy football: Last year we had a fantasy football league of TLSers and it was fun. I'd like to do it again, so PM me if you want to be in the league this fall.

-I am moving to Lakeview, a neighborhood north of downtown, this Friday. Anyone else going to be living in Chicago this summer?
I won't be moving until early August, but I will be in Lakeview as well! Monday Night Football?!

Magnalum

New

Post by Magnalum » Thu May 01, 2014 7:30 pm

Last edited by Magnalum on Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Fri May 02, 2014 4:59 pm

Magnalum wrote:
coolbean2013 wrote:

-Fantasy football: Last year we had a fantasy football league of TLSers and it was fun. I'd like to do it again, so PM me if you want to be in the league this fall.

-I am moving to Lakeview, a neighborhood north of downtown, this Friday. Anyone else going to be living in Chicago this summer?
I won't be moving until early August, but I will be in Lakeview as well! Monday Night Football?!
I'm down
Welcome to lakeview! Good choice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

herrowww

New

Post by herrowww » Fri May 02, 2014 5:08 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
Magnalum wrote:
coolbean2013 wrote:

I'm down
Lakeview vs Lincoln Park... Go. Still trying to decide which area to focus my apartment search in

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Fri May 02, 2014 5:23 pm

I realize this isn't very helpful, but I would look at both in between the red line and the lake. Generally, the farther north you go even in the two neighborhoods, the more square-footage you get per $ and the commute will only be different by a couple of minutes.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Fri May 02, 2014 8:34 pm

Mullens wrote:I realize this isn't very helpful, but I would look at both in between the red line and the lake. Generally, the farther north you go even in the two neighborhoods, the more square-footage you get per $ and the commute will only be different by a couple of minutes.
yep- it's all about the commute. If you live on an express bus line it's quicker to live further north where you can get the 146/7/8 rather than the 151 (the devil's bus, slow and full of children). Going west makes it harder to get to school generally, though not always. In my very limited experience (living in lakeview and having friends who live in lincoln park) and based on the parts of these neighborhoods I frequent:

LP Pros: Bars, can be close to red/brown line depending on where you live, decent restaurants Cons: DEPAUL. Undergrad bros everywhere. Also, commute can be long depending on where you live.
LV pros: quieter, nice apartments for a reasonable price, good shopping (southport area), close to wrigley, boystown, and some restaurants and bars, has a variety of transit options. Cons: commute can be long if you live far from the lake busses or the redline, your McClurg living classmates will never want to leave streeterville to go to your place.

Keep in mind, it's just one person's opinions! Neighborhood choice is pretty personal. Make sure to keep close to transit and if possible, try out the commute during rush hour before picking.

gimmedanger

New

Post by gimmedanger » Mon May 05, 2014 12:42 pm

has any one successfully negotiated
a) after putting down a deposit?
b) without another offer? (I have already withdrawn from the schools in their list)

thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

holly45

New

Post by holly45 » Tue May 06, 2014 11:05 am

Did anyone else get info about the Marovitz scholarship application?

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Tue May 06, 2014 11:10 am

herrowww wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
Magnalum wrote:
coolbean2013 wrote:
I'm down
Lakeview vs Lincoln Park... Go. Still trying to decide which area to focus my apartment search in
Lincoln Park- Pros: Slightly closer to downtown, more "bro" bars, more live music in said bars, super swanky "boutiques", couple of nice yoga studios. Cons: DePaul. All the DePaul bros. All the DePaul bros invading bars. All the DePaul bros puking on the sidewalk, All the DePaul bros sleeping on your front porch in a puddle of their own puke when you're leaving for class in the morning, less bang for your buck (apartments, bars, restaurants, etc.).

Lakeview- Pros: Much nicer access to lakefront parks, way more cool street festivals, much better bars/restaurants, cheap yoga studios, primary gayborhood in Chicago, world's most delicious (vegan) milkshake, amazing theater/comedy clubs Cons: Cubs games, Cubs fans stumbling into gayborhood and being jerks, Cubs fans punching each other out for the fuck of it, Cubs fans puking on the sidewalk, Cubs fans sleeping on your front porch in a puddle of their own puke when you're leaving for class in the morning, *just* far enough north that people with Streeterville attachment issues don't believe it actually exists.

Personally, I'm a Lakeview person. I lived three blocks from Wrigleyville, and I would do it all over again. I've gone to listen to friend's bands in Lincoln Park bars, and five minutes spent pushing through the uber-entitled crowd that seems to populate that area made me long for a nice, chill evening at Roscoe's or Sidetrack (Lakeview bars). Plus, you really can't beat Lakeview food. Arguably the one of the top three neighborhoods in the city for food. Lincoln Park has... nope... can't think of a single restaurant there that I love.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Tue May 06, 2014 11:19 am

On a similar vein, I'm a huge fan of the area between Belmont and Diversey because it's kinda a sweet spot on the border of Lakeview and Lincoln Park that avoids many of the problems described above with Depaul students and Cubs fans.

Leo

Bronze

Post by Leo » Tue May 06, 2014 11:22 am

mirroroferised7 wrote:Lincoln Park- Pros: Slightly closer to downtown, more "bro" bars, more live music in said bars, super swanky "boutiques", couple of nice yoga studios. Cons: DePaul. All the DePaul bros. All the DePaul bros invading bars. All the DePaul bros puking on the sidewalk, All the DePaul bros sleeping on your front porch in a puddle of their own puke when you're leaving for class in the morning, less bang for your buck (apartments, bars, restaurants, etc.).

Lakeview- Pros: Much nicer access to lakefront parks, way more cool street festivals, much better bars/restaurants, cheap yoga studios, primary gayborhood in Chicago, world's most delicious (vegan) milkshake, amazing theater/comedy clubs Cons: Cubs games, Cubs fans stumbling into gayborhood and being jerks, Cubs fans punching each other out for the fuck of it, Cubs fans puking on the sidewalk, Cubs fans sleeping on your front porch in a puddle of their own puke when you're leaving for class in the morning, *just* far enough north that people with Streeterville attachment issues don't believe it actually exists.

Personally, I'm a Lakeview person. I lived three blocks from Wrigleyville, and I would do it all over again. I've gone to listen to friend's bands in Lincoln Park bars, and five minutes spent pushing through the uber-entitled crowd that seems to populate that area made me long for a nice, chill evening at Roscoe's or Sidetrack (Lakeview bars). Plus, you really can't beat Lakeview food. Arguably the one of the top three neighborhoods in the city for food. Lincoln Park has... nope... can't think of a single restaurant there that I love.
TCR, but I'm also a Lakeview resident so my opinion is biased.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Tue May 06, 2014 12:24 pm

Leo wrote:
mirroroferised7 wrote:Lincoln Park- Pros: Slightly closer to downtown, more "bro" bars, more live music in said bars, super swanky "boutiques", couple of nice yoga studios. Cons: DePaul. All the DePaul bros. All the DePaul bros invading bars. All the DePaul bros puking on the sidewalk, All the DePaul bros sleeping on your front porch in a puddle of their own puke when you're leaving for class in the morning, less bang for your buck (apartments, bars, restaurants, etc.).

Lakeview "180" restaurants:
Ann Sather's (ONLY go for the cinnamon rolls)
Birds and Blokes
Bobtail Ice Cream
Chicago Diner
Cheesie's
Clarke's
Cozy's
DS Tequila
Horizon Cafe
Jack's
Jaiyen Sushi
Joy's Noodles and Rice
Melanthio's
Native Foods (two words: Lavender. Lemonade.)
Pie Hole
Waffles
Wilde's

And that's just the places I regularly visit

Lincoln Park:
Jam and Honey (does this place even exist anymore?)

suzige

Bronze

Post by suzige » Tue May 06, 2014 12:35 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:
Leo wrote:

Birds and Blokes
Bobtail Ice Cream
Chicago Diner
Cheesie's
Clarke's
Cozy's
DS Tequila
Horizon Cafe
Jack's
Jaiyen Sushi
Joy's Noodles and Rice
Melanthio's
Pie Hole
Waffles
Wilde's

Lincoln Park:
I'm pretty sure Jam and Honey is still open. Never ate there tho. Anytime i've gone for breakfast it's been slammed.

feralinfant

Silver

Post by feralinfant » Tue May 06, 2014 12:44 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:
Leo wrote:

Birds and Blokes
Bobtail Ice Cream
Chicago Diner
Cheesie's
Clarke's
Cozy's
DS Tequila
Horizon Cafe
Jack's
Jaiyen Sushi
Joy's Noodles and Rice
Melanthio's
Pie Hole
Waffles
Wilde's

Lincoln Park:

Just going to pile a few more onto the lakeview list:

Nookie's treehouse cafe
Diva Sushi (if it's 3:30 am)
Ceres table (haven't actually been yet but just moved from Uptown, made michelin's "bib gourmand")
Ping Pong

suzige

Bronze

Post by suzige » Tue May 06, 2014 12:50 pm

I've heard that Ceres Table is awesome. Native Foods is amazing too.
I will beg to differ about Ann Sathers' rolls. The 2 times i've gone they've been stale and nasty. Not worth $.
I would recommend Etnos Village Grill in Lincoln Park for burgers/chicken gyros--whenever the place opens up again after their expansion/remodel that seems to be taking a ridiculous amount of months....

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Tue May 06, 2014 1:08 pm

feralinfant wrote:
mirroroferised7 wrote:
Leo wrote:

Birds and Blokes
Bobtail Ice Cream
Chicago Diner
Cheesie's
Clarke's
Cozy's
DS Tequila
Horizon Cafe
Jack's
Jaiyen Sushi
Joy's Noodles and Rice
Melanthio's
Pie Hole
Waffles
Wilde's

Lincoln Park:

Nookie's treehouse cafe
Ceres table (haven't actually been yet but just moved from Uptown, made michelin's "bib gourmand")
Ping Pong
Pretty sure Ping Pong is closed :(
Can't believe I forgot Nookie's and Diva!!

feralinfant

Silver

Post by feralinfant » Tue May 06, 2014 1:16 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote: Pretty sure Ping Pong is closed :(
Can't believe I forgot Nookie's and Diva!!
no way. ping pong is alive and kicking not too far south of roscoe on broadway. unless its closed in the last 10 days or so.

also Halsted's is actually a pretty legit sports even if theres nothing particularly special about it. I mean it's a gay sports bar which is kind of special. But it's also got a decent brunch, awesome mac and cheese and a great patio out back. Not a bad place to eat a burger and watch a game at all.

kenwash

Bronze

Post by kenwash » Tue May 06, 2014 6:10 pm

holly45 wrote:Did anyone else get info about the Marovitz scholarship application?
Yep I did. It seems pretty selective (only one person is chosen from all Illinois law schools?) to only receive 40K.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Wed May 07, 2014 1:29 am

feralinfant wrote:
mirroroferised7 wrote:
Leo wrote:

Birds and Blokes
Bobtail Ice Cream
Chicago Diner
Cheesie's
Clarke's
Cozy's
DS Tequila
Horizon Cafe
Jack's
Jaiyen Sushi
Joy's Noodles and Rice
Melanthio's
Pie Hole
Waffles
Wilde's

Lincoln Park:

Nookie's treehouse cafe
Ping Pong
Piling on:
wrigley bbq
southport grocery
julius meinle (for coffee)

Also, there are great bars in lakeview. Boystown bars, southport bars, wrigley bars. and even if I want to go out in lincoln park, I always appreciate being able to take the train/bus there, then grab a $7 cab ride home and sleep in my nice quiet neighborhood at night.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

coolbean2013

Bronze

Post by coolbean2013 » Wed May 07, 2014 9:39 pm

Thank you for all these Lakeview restaurant recommendations, I'm excited to try them all out!

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Sun May 11, 2014 12:43 pm

Hey all! I've lived in Florida and California my entire life, and I know only a few people, who really know how to deal with cold. I'm wondering if you all, my cohort, may be willing to contribute to a list of essential gear and practices I'm compiling for surviving those -30 degree days with my health intact. What do I need to wear to protect myself on a frigid day? What are wise practices to follow if I have to be somewhere across town on a wintry day? I understand that this is amateurish, but I've spent about 12 days of my life in freezing temperatures, and I just wore two jackets and two pairs of jeans. I'd like to upgrade. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Marshmallow

Bronze

Post by Marshmallow » Mon May 12, 2014 10:32 am

Not sure where to post this, but thought it was maybe worth mentioning: I withdrew close to the deadline and received an email late last week about the availability of additional funding. I think I got a little low-balled in the second round of scholarships, but maybe not and they just have some spare cash to give out?

NYC-WVU

Bronze

Post by NYC-WVU » Mon May 12, 2014 11:14 am

whereskyle wrote:Hey all! I've lived in Florida and California my entire life, and I know only a few people, who really know how to deal with cold. I'm wondering if you all, my cohort, may be willing to contribute to a list of essential gear and practices I'm compiling for surviving those -30 degree days with my health intact. What do I need to wear to protect myself on a frigid day? What are wise practices to follow if I have to be somewhere across town on a wintry day? I understand that this is amateurish, but I've spent about 12 days of my life in freezing temperatures, and I just wore two jackets and two pairs of jeans. I'd like to upgrade. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
This is going to sound like an obnoxious comment, but in all seriousness, you just have to dress more warmly. Chicago winters seem to be about 15 degrees colder than NYC winters, but I don't think I am any colder than I was in NY, because I dress for colder weather. I'd guess that in the dead of winter, I dress for 10-30 degree weather. So when it's 10 I'm a little cold, and if it's 30 I'll overheat if I run to catch the bus or something. In NY, I would dress for 25-45 degree weather, and it would be the same deal.
Some essentials:
Good coat.
Good hat. <--- This is the one people skip, probably because an appropriate hat for this weather (e.g., fur) seems ridiculous. I had to get one cause I walk my dog and I love it.
If you're not going to be outside for long, you should be okay in almost any Chicago weather with some wool pants. If you're going to be outside for any significant amount of time, you might want to get some snow pants. They're a bit overkill, but you can always take them off.
Boots!
Unless there are great sales going on now. You might want to just wait and see what you will need. Especially if you are not around people who can give you reasonable advice.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”