Northwestern Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
scorneli

New

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Post by scorneli » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:58 pm

UserNameHere wrote:Edit: Another question, does anybody here have any strong opinions on NU's career/employment prospects. ATL and LST give it pretty bleak reviews, but NLJ seems more bullish (although I can't access the Go-To rankings -- weird). Word on career services seems very mixed. If there is a current student perusing this thread or if anybody knows of a good thread that discusses it, would love to find a little bit of a clearer opinion. I love NU, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit concerned about this.
I'd like to see what current students have to say as well.

My point of view: for the class of 2012, LST shows 86.4% of NU graduates in long-term, full-time positions (http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... show=chars). I wouldn't consider that "pretty bleak" , if only because relative to other schools, it's not so bad at all.

Coupled with the significant long-term downward trend in law school matriculants, I think we have reason to be cautiously optimistic.

This is what I tell myself before I can sleep at night

UserNameHere

Bronze

Post by UserNameHere » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:09 pm

scorneli wrote:
UserNameHere wrote:Edit: Another question, does anybody here have any strong opinions on NU's career/employment prospects. ATL and LST give it pretty bleak reviews, but NLJ seems more bullish (although I can't access the Go-To rankings -- weird). Word on career services seems very mixed. If there is a current student perusing this thread or if anybody knows of a good thread that discusses it, would love to find a little bit of a clearer opinion. I love NU, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit concerned about this.

My point of view: for the class of 2012, LST shows 86.4% of NU graduates in long-term, full-time positions (http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... show=chars). I wouldn't consider that "pretty bleak" , if only because relative to other schools, it's not so bad at all.

Coupled with the significant long-term downward trend in law school matriculants, I think we have reason to be cautiously optimistic.

Fair point. There are a lot of metrics though, and that number is actually quite low compared to many of the T14s.

The other thing I noticed is that >10% were JD Advantage. That's not necessarily a bad thing at all -- for some it might be a very good thing -- but it's interesting to note.

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:16 pm

scorneli wrote:

These questions seems like they might be better answered if placed in the 1L/2L/3L NU students answering questions and challenges thread.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:18 pm

Northwestern has good career prospects generally, and the majority place well. God help you if you are not in the majority.

<<Not in the majority (Member of Winston's class of doom)

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:21 pm

UserNameHere wrote:
scorneli wrote:

Fair point. There are a lot of metrics though, and that number is actually quite low compared to many of the T14s.

The other thing I noticed is that >10% were JD Advantage. That's not necessarily a bad thing at all -- for some it might be a very good thing -- but it's interesting to note.
The one thing a lot of people will consider is that NU, more than most, likely has a higher percentage of "legit" JD Advantage. That is, more of it's JD Advantage are likely to be favorable and self-selected sorts of outcomes, due to the larger proportion of people attending there with established careers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

norkanite

New

Post by norkanite » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:12 pm

Last edited by norkanite on Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:19 pm

There are too many NU alums running around this site to make reading tea leaves worth your energy. Go to the NU 1/2/3L threads and just ask us. There are plenty of alums here as well.

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:57 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:
lgleye wrote:
californiauser wrote:Any word on what % of the class has SA positions this summer?
It depends on what level of SA's (BigLaw, Mid, Shit, etc.). Assuming you mean Big & Large Mid, then the general consensus is that, it's been about 58-62% for the past 2 years. If you narrow the focus to Vault/NLJ250, it's about 48-52%. However, from personal experience and talking among my group of friends, last summer's OCI was even better than that.
According to ATL and other blogs, NU is ranked pretty high (top 5) for getting BigLaw/NLJ250 SA's. Seel link here:
http://abovethelaw.com/2013/02/best-law ... -job-2013/

So, even if you get fucked by bad and/or vindictive prof's, you're okay since you still have a realistic shot if you get median or above. Of course, theihigher, the more solid your prospects.
Keep in mind also that there's some self-selection, in that some above-median types do PI or government or whatever instead of an SA. So the 62% figure does not mean the top 62% of the class.
And it's not like there is a line where everyone gets a job and then suddenly strikes out. There are top 10% people who strike out and bottom 10% who get big law.

from another thread

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:33 pm

I got the acceptance package today. Anyone else?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:13 pm

lawschool22 wrote:I got the acceptance package today. Anyone else?
I did as well! Nice little mail surprise.

furrrman

Bronze

Post by furrrman » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:55 pm

lawschool22 wrote:I got the acceptance package today. Anyone else?
Ditto. Little crumpled by the mailman but no biggie. Nice notebook.

Any RD people get scholarship info yet?

*edit* nvm I should read the thread before asking silly questions.

thewaves

Bronze

Post by thewaves » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:39 am

Maybe I'm being a noob, but where is the scholarship prompt? I have yet to receive my admit package in the mail still! RD here.

furrrman

Bronze

Post by furrrman » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:18 am

thewaves wrote:Maybe I'm being a noob, but where is the scholarship prompt? I have yet to receive my admit package in the mail still! RD here.
Its all on the admitted students page.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Wildcats17

New

Post by Wildcats17 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:57 pm

ED acceptance from back in December checking in!

pcthenls

Bronze

Post by pcthenls » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:27 am

checking in! Just found out today and am happily surprised by this option.

Can anyone shed some light on NU's LRAP? I tried to play with their calculator, but honestly it is a bit confusing after a long day at work. Has anyone researched the LRAP in depth who can explain? That would be awesome!

Congrats all!!!

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:22 pm

Copped the lovely package today!

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:34 pm

barrelofmonkeys wrote:Copped the lovely package today!
How was my description? :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:36 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:Copped the lovely package today!
How was my description? :D
SPOT ON : )

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:52 pm

anyone in norcal still waiting on their admit package?

dagny05

New

Post by dagny05 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:59 am

Still waiting in CO.

UserNameHere

Bronze

Post by UserNameHere » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:42 am

Still waiting in DC

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:31 pm

Wow, grab a book or a Snickers bar when you're filling out the Need Access forms. I'm just shaking my head at the requirement that I fill out all my parents' data as a 33-year-old husband/father who hasn't received a dime in education help form them in nearly 15 years.

It makes the FAFSA easy by comparison, if you're looking for a silver lining.

workaholic82

Bronze

Post by workaholic82 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:46 pm

Soco Law wrote:Wow, grab a book or a Snickers bar when you're filling out the Need Access forms. I'm just shaking my head at the requirement that I fill out all my parents' data as a 33-year-old husband/father who hasn't received a dime in education help form them in nearly 15 years.

Confused... i spoke with the office of fin aid, and they say they don't require or consider parent info on need access. The website says the same thing. What makes you think you need to fill it out?

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:01 pm

workaholic82 wrote:
Soco Law wrote:Wow, grab a book or a Snickers bar when you're filling out the Need Access forms. I'm just shaking my head at the requirement that I fill out all my parents' data as a 33-year-old husband/father who hasn't received a dime in education help form them in nearly 15 years.

Confused... i spoke with the office of fin aid, and they say they don't require or consider parent info on need access. The website says the same thing. What makes you think you need to fill it out?
Hmmm, I wonder if it's for one of the other schools. I selected all schools that I am accepted/pending/waitlisted (to save time later). When I click submit, I get this error: "Your parent form is not complete. Please complete all of the required sections before submitting."

All other forms are 100% complete. I may try to submit NU only to see what happens.

ETA: Just checked with NU only. Good to go! I'm not sure which of the other schools were requiring parental info. Maybe some of the publics?

workaholic82

Bronze

Post by workaholic82 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:07 pm

Soco Law wrote:
workaholic82 wrote:

Hmmm, I wonder if it's for one of the other schools. I selected all schools that I am accepted/pending/waitlisted (to save time later). When I click submit, I get this error: "Your parent form is not complete. Please complete all of the required sections before submitting."

All other forms are 100% complete. I may try to submit NU only to see what happens.
Yea, that's probably it, i think some schools do require it regardless of age. Let me know if you figure it out, i haven't finished it yet.

ETA: great, had me worried there. That parent section isn't fun for us 30 somethings!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”