Texas Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
cannibal ox

Gold

Re: Texas Class of 2017

Post by cannibal ox » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:56 pm

Attax wrote:Scholarship Tip: call/email if you have any questions or concerns. Interest and desire to attend play some factor in their decisions I'd think. I've emailed and talked and I just got an email offering $7,000/year with good standing stips.
This is extremely credited. I wasn't offered a scholarship, reached out and expressed UT as my top choice, had some discussions back and forth, and went from $0 to $78,000. I'm blown away, honestly. I'm out of state but have plenty of reasons to want to be in Austin, I showed them that, and it looks like Austin is where I'll most likely be in the fall.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:23 pm

cannibal ox wrote:
Attax wrote:Scholarship Tip: call/email if you have any questions or concerns. Interest and desire to attend play some factor in their decisions I'd think. I've emailed and talked and I just got an email offering $7,000/year with good standing stips.
This is extremely credited. I wasn't offered a scholarship, reached out and expressed UT as my top choice, had some discussions back and forth, and went from $0 to $78,000. I'm blown away, honestly. I'm out of state but have plenty of reasons to want to be in Austin, I showed them that, and it looks like Austin is where I'll most likely be in the fall.
Holy hell glad to hear this! Does that cut it down to in state cost for you, or less than that? I'm too lazy to do the math now. Either way that's stellar!

futuregrad2014

New

Post by futuregrad2014 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:40 pm

How long did you all wait to begin scholarship negotiation? I applied in late November, went complete 12/6 and was accepted 1/28. I've already gotten my admission packet in the mail and have access to the FreshLaw Page.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:14 am

futuregrad2014 wrote:How long did you all wait to begin scholarship negotiation? I applied in late November, went complete 12/6 and was accepted 1/28. I've already gotten my admission packet in the mail and have access to the FreshLaw Page.
Accepted 12/17, started as soon as I had some competitive offers.

KatyMarie

Silver

Post by KatyMarie » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:34 pm

I got an OOS tuition equalizer + 20,000/year scholarship (good academic standing stip). I'm stoked about the scholarship, don't get me wrong, but I am wondering how liberal Texas is with offering full tuition scholarships and if it's possible to get one in negotiations. Can anyone shed any light on that?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:02 pm

KatyMarie wrote:I got an OOS tuition equalizer + 20,000/year scholarship (good academic standing stip). I'm stoked about the scholarship, don't get me wrong, but I am wondering how liberal Texas is with offering full tuition scholarships and if it's possible to get one in negotiations. Can anyone shed any light on that?
No shed of any light, but showing a huge interest seems to be helping at Texas.

UserNameHere

Bronze

Post by UserNameHere » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:38 pm

cannibal ox wrote:
Glad it worked out well for you! That's awesome! I gotta be honest on my end, I spoke to Monica some time ago (I'm trying to be a bit vague deliberately) because I hadn't been offered anything, and was kind of put off by her tone in the whole discussion. Maybe it was just a bad day or something at the office, but she just struck me as very aloof. Ultimately, I look at UT highly, but Michigan offered me a substantial amount of money and I didn't even have to ask. I feel like it makes turning down my UT offer of admission, which I'm now leaning towards doing, that much easier.

Sorry to be a downer. The whole thing was just a bit awkward.

musharraf

New

Post by musharraf » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:05 am

UserNameHere wrote:
cannibal ox wrote:
Glad it worked out well for you! That's awesome! I gotta be honest on my end, I spoke to Monica some time ago (I'm trying to be a bit vague deliberately) because I hadn't been offered anything, and was kind of put off by her tone in the whole discussion. Maybe it was just a bad day or something at the office, but she just struck me as very aloof. Ultimately, I look at UT highly, but Michigan offered me a substantial amount of money and I didn't even have to ask. I feel like it makes turning down my UT offer of admission, which I'm now leaning towards doing, that much easier.

Sorry to be a downer. The whole thing was just a bit awkward.
Yeah, things are a mixed bag. I've talked to her too, but after a brief discussion expressing my interest in Texas and strong desire not to go to a safety school I've been accepted to, she gave me a really, really tempting scholarship offer. I hadn't heard a word from UT about scholarships up until that point, so I was kind of shocked to get that much money. Speaking up and emailing Monica directly can't hurt your hand.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:58 pm

Welp. Deposit placed on an apartment! You know what this means!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:39 am

Anyone going to the reception in Houston?

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:32 pm

I don't think I'm doing enough ASW stuff...

Feb 21st Breakfast with Dean
Feb 28th Lunch with profs
March 7th UT@UT
March 21st weekend - ASW

And I just realized that this may make me a bit of a gunner. I'm just excited for Texas!

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:46 am

Yeah I just realized some of that stuff as well. They've got Fridays ON LOCK

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:31 am

Pneumonia wrote:Yeah I just realized some of that stuff as well. They've got Fridays ON LOCK
I'm glad they're giving us a ton of opportunities, especially for those of us here in Austin. But damn do they not want to do anything on weekends?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:52 am

I'm most likely going down for a mid-week visit before April. I swear I'm not trying to avoid anyone, it's just a lot easier for me. Plus maybe I'll get to be on my own tour instead of in a mob.

El Cunado

New

Post by El Cunado » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:43 pm

Just Checking IN,

Tejas

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:25 pm

cannibal ox wrote:I'm most likely going down for a mid-week visit before April. I swear I'm not trying to avoid anyone, it's just a lot easier for me. Plus maybe I'll get to be on my own tour instead of in a mob.
Spring break is the week of the 10th, so classes won't be in schedule then.

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:04 pm

Good looking out.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:29 pm

cannibal ox wrote:Good looking out.
No problem. Things at the campus are generally pretty slow the week after too, so it may be a good time to see it (mostly because many of the UGs are still hungover). Plus you could do a visit+transition to ASW on the 21st/22nd to get a full Texas solo and group experience.

Just speculation though on my part for a possible schedule.

TeddyPicker

New

Post by TeddyPicker » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:16 pm

Attax wrote:I don't think I'm doing enough ASW stuff...

March 7th UT@UT
March 21st weekend - ASW

And I just realized that this may make me a bit of a gunner. I'm just excited for Texas!

How do I register for these events? The Lunch with Profs and UT@UT weekend sound interesting.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:15 am

TeddyPicker wrote:

March 7th UT@UT
March 21st weekend - ASW

How do I register for these events? The Lunch with Profs and UT@UT weekend sound interesting.
They were sent via email, and UT@UT is only for those who did their undergrad at UT.

TeddyPicker

New

Post by TeddyPicker » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:59 pm

Attax wrote:
TeddyPicker wrote:

March 7th UT@UT
March 21st weekend - ASW

They were sent via email, and UT@UT is only for those who did their undergrad at UT.

Okay gotcha. Hopefully I receive an email soon. I'd love to go to the first two events at least!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:02 am

TeddyPicker wrote:
Attax wrote:
TeddyPicker wrote:

March 7th UT@UT
March 21st weekend - ASW

Okay gotcha. Hopefully I receive an email soon. I'd love to go to the first two events at least!
I don't think I received any kind of notification for the first two events, but they may have assumed that since I'm out of state, I wouldn't be interested. If you're not in the Austin area and want to go to those, you may want to hit the school up for details rather than waiting.

TeddyPicker

New

Post by TeddyPicker » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:11 am

I don't think I received any kind of notification for the first two events, but they may have assumed that since I'm out of state, I wouldn't be interested. If you're not in the Austin area and want to go to those, you may want to hit the school up for details rather than waiting.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice!

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:06 am

200 dollars isn't shit when traveling from the northeast, how are the hotel options around campus?

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:47 pm

Mojosodope wrote:200 dollars isn't shit when traveling from the northeast, how are the hotel options around campus?
Either expensive and nice, or cheap and shitty. But up in Round Rock you can find decent deals if you're willing to make a 20-30 minute car ride absent traffic.

For anyone coming to ASW on March 21st, you are all invited to Thursday night birthday drinking with me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”