George Washington Class of 2017/18 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
elendinel

Silver

Re: George Washington Class of 2017/18

Post by elendinel » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:57 pm

pabigelow5 wrote:
inyoureyes89 wrote:what is the cheapest closeish/safe neighborhood to GWU? i don't mind commuting a bit via metro... though I'm sure that'll add up :(
If you want cheap, you can all but forget DC, save having a place with a few other roommates. Your best bet will be Arlington or Alexandria, both of which offer metro commutes. Two metro lines go to GW, the orange and the blue. The orange goes through Arlington and the blue Alexandria.

Arlington would be your shortest commute. The Ballston station is an 11 minute metro ride to the Foggy Bottom/GW stop, and there are four more between the two that would be a few minutes less. A 1br in the Ballston/Clarendon/Rosslyn area will cost upwards of $1700, with basement apartments running a few hundred less. There are plenty within walking distance of a metro stop, which would make your overall commute 20 minutes give or take a few. These areas are pretty neat. Safe and relatively quiet but with lots of restaurants, shopping, and bars for all of those nights when you'll have hours of free time with no homework during 1L..... :cry:

Alexandria can be slightly cheaper, but also a longer commute. Pentagon City and Crystal city are just as close but also just as expensive. (11 minutes, 4 stops in between, and at least $1600 for a 1br). It gets cheaper as you get further away, especially after King Street, but that makes the commute quite a bit longer (20 minutes or more). There are also apartments that offer free shuttles to close metro stops but only during rush hour which makes it difficult if your class schedule isn't 8-5.

I live in Alexandria now and I've been looking for Arlington apartments for a while to relocate to when my lease runs out, so I know a good bit about the area if you want other specific details. I'd be happy to help out!

Lol, maybe it's because I'm in NYC now, but being able to find a decent 1br for $1600 sounds too good to be true... :P

Does anyone have a sense of how much it costs to live in the Bethesda area these days?

nmic

New

Post by nmic » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:58 pm

greeninDC wrote:Hi all! Checking in! Anyone RSVP'd for the Preview Day on March 28th yet? I just did and would love to meet some other TLS-ers that day!
I did! See you there!

pabigelow5

New

Post by pabigelow5 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:46 pm

elendinel wrote:
pabigelow5 wrote:
inyoureyes89 wrote:what is the cheapest closeish/safe neighborhood to GWU? i don't mind commuting a bit via metro... though I'm sure that'll add up :(
If you want cheap, you can all but forget DC, save having a place with a few other roommates. Your best bet will be Arlington or Alexandria, both of which offer metro commutes. Two metro lines go to GW, the orange and the blue. The orange goes through Arlington and the blue Alexandria.

Arlington would be your shortest commute. The Ballston station is an 11 minute metro ride to the Foggy Bottom/GW stop, and there are four more between the two that would be a few minutes less. A 1br in the Ballston/Clarendon/Rosslyn area will cost upwards of $1700, with basement apartments running a few hundred less. There are plenty within walking distance of a metro stop, which would make your overall commute 20 minutes give or take a few. These areas are pretty neat. Safe and relatively quiet but with lots of restaurants, shopping, and bars for all of those nights when you'll have hours of free time with no homework during 1L..... :cry:

Alexandria can be slightly cheaper, but also a longer commute. Pentagon City and Crystal city are just as close but also just as expensive. (11 minutes, 4 stops in between, and at least $1600 for a 1br). It gets cheaper as you get further away, especially after King Street, but that makes the commute quite a bit longer (20 minutes or more). There are also apartments that offer free shuttles to close metro stops but only during rush hour which makes it difficult if your class schedule isn't 8-5.

I live in Alexandria now and I've been looking for Arlington apartments for a while to relocate to when my lease runs out, so I know a good bit about the area if you want other specific details. I'd be happy to help out!
Lol, maybe it's because I'm in NYC now, but being able to find a decent 1br for $1600 sounds too good to be true... :P

Does anyone have a sense of how much it costs to live in the Bethesda area these days?
Ha! I'm from central Florida, so paying three times as much for rent when I moved up here hurt... I'm pretty sure Bethesda is close to DC prices, only a few hundred cheaper. There are other areas of MD that get quite a bit cheaper, but they're typically either not metro accessible or Prince George County. :shock: haha

pabigelow5

New

Post by pabigelow5 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:19 pm

New rankings came out today. GW slid back into the top 20 again.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... w-rankings

BentleyLittle

Bronze

Post by BentleyLittle » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:09 pm

If anyone is going to the event in Chicago tonight PM me, a few of us are meeting up if anyone wants to join in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

deuceindc

Bronze

Post by deuceindc » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:14 pm

If any of y'all will be attending the IP Day program on 3/27, holler at me. I'll be there and would certainly be down to get a beer after.

I won't be at Preview Day but hopefully it's as good as last year's - the reception at the end had great food and an open bar.

waiting_game

New

Post by waiting_game » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:51 am

deuceindc wrote:If any of y'all will be attending the IP Day program on 3/27, holler at me. I'll be there and would certainly be down to get a beer after.

I won't be at Preview Day but hopefully it's as good as last year's - the reception at the end had great food and an open bar.
i just looked all over the admitted student portal and didn't see mention of an IP Day program--is that special invitation only or something? just curious, i was molec bio in ugrad and potentially interested in IP (especially if I decide to go to GW)

deuceindc

Bronze

Post by deuceindc » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:33 pm

waiting_game wrote:
deuceindc wrote:If any of y'all will be attending the IP Day program on 3/27, holler at me. I'll be there and would certainly be down to get a beer after.

i just looked all over the admitted student portal and didn't see mention of an IP Day program--is that special invitation only or something? just curious, i was molec bio in ugrad and potentially interested in IP (especially if I decide to go to GW)
PM'ed

linkx13

Bronze

Post by linkx13 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:12 am

del

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nuj

New

Post by Nuj » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:58 pm

Just got my envelope. Was the scholly info supposed to be in there, or is that sent separately?

fLaw School Bound

New

Post by fLaw School Bound » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:24 am

Scholarship info usually comes a couple of weeks after acceptance... and congrats!

mysecretweapon

New

Post by mysecretweapon » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:46 pm

Can anyone point me in the direction of some photos depicting what the Aston actually looks like? I can't find any pictures or videos of the sort, and will probably end up living there considering im not familiar with the area and can't apartment search beforehand. Thanks!

kenwash

Bronze

Post by kenwash » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:38 pm

Last edited by kenwash on Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

scoobysnax

Bronze

Post by scoobysnax » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:21 pm

pabigelow5 wrote:
elendinel wrote:
pabigelow5 wrote:

Ha! I'm from central Florida, so paying three times as much for rent when I moved up here hurt... I'm pretty sure Bethesda is close to DC prices, only a few hundred cheaper. There are other areas of MD that get quite a bit cheaper, but they're typically either not metro accessible or Prince George County. :shock: haha
If you're willing to live 15+ minutes walking from the metro station, Bethesda can be affordable. My brother shares a 2bedroom and pays about $1000. If you look hard enough, you can get similar prices around Foggy Bottom, so long as you don't insist on living by yourself. I know a few undergrads that go to GW that have their own apartments and pay around $1000.

hayleyw44

New

Post by hayleyw44 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:06 pm

I am planning on going to admitted students day march 28th. Is anyone else from NYC taking the train to DC thursday evening??

deuceindc

Bronze

Post by deuceindc » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:19 am

bump. PM me if you want to meet up.

Quan292

Bronze

Post by Quan292 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:26 pm

So how did the preview day go for those that attended?
Any thoughts someone would like to share for those of us that couldn't make it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dcapu003

New

Post by dcapu003 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:08 pm

Quan292 wrote:So how did the preview day go for those that attended?
Preview day was fine. A little bit unorganized, as there were a ton of us. The class was great, students were extremely helpful. Most of the professors and staff I met were very nice, too. If anyone wants more detailed info, PM me!

Nuj

New

Post by Nuj » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:12 pm

Quan292 wrote:So how did the preview day go for those that attended?
I was late that morning (had an issue with a Realtor), but from what I saw it was fine. Nothing particularly stood out (as good or bad), though lunch was way fancier than I was expecting.

mysecretweapon

New

Post by mysecretweapon » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:41 pm

has anyone that did not previously receive a merit scholarship try to negotiate something now that the April 1st deadline has passed?

uncreative

New

Post by uncreative » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:55 pm

mysecretweapon wrote:has anyone that did not previously receive a merit scholarship try to negotiate something now that the April 1st deadline has passed?
I did, they said they'd let me know by 4/10.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mysecretweapon

New

Post by mysecretweapon » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:31 pm

uncreative wrote:
mysecretweapon wrote:has anyone that did not previously receive a merit scholarship try to negotiate something now that the April 1st deadline has passed?

Yup, just got a similar email. Thanks!

nightshade

New

Post by nightshade » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:22 pm

For the people who sent negotiation emails, can I ask whom you emailed? Did you email the dean or the Financial Aid office directly?

nmic

New

Post by nmic » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:09 pm

nightshade wrote:For the people who sent negotiation emails, can I ask whom you emailed? Did you email the dean or the Financial Aid office directly?
Admissions Office: inatgw@law.gwu.edu

Financial Aid does not handle scholarships.

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:02 pm

mysecretweapon wrote:
uncreative wrote:

Yup, just got a similar email. Thanks!
Did you guys follow up again since 4/1 or was this unsolicited?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”