SMU C/O 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

I'm bored so I'm making a new pole. What type of law do you want to practice?

Transactional
56%
Litigation
20%
Public Interest
4%
Government
8%
Undecided
12%

Total votes: 25

Afterparty

New

Re: SMU C/O 2017

Post by Afterparty » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:02 pm

emmy463 wrote:
thisiswater wrote:
emmy463 wrote:Awesome! Thank you guys for all of your help. I visited the Village apartments this morning. Some of them do allow pets but then some of the places within the Village don't so I guess it just depends on the unit you're looking at. I've really liked the area so far. I also looked at Lincoln on University this morning,which is owned by the same people who own the Villages, and it's really nice as well.

Definitely scratching the BLVD off of my list though, haha.
I toured Standard and liked it a lot but ended up in Upper East Side in the Village (one of the village apartments that allows pets). There are lots of undergrads still, but I've had no noise issues and lots of the residents are professionals. If your price point is flexible, I highly recommend it.
Upper East Side was awesome! Unfortunately the girl at the office said she wouldn't know what rooms she would have available for August until next month and I didn't feel comfortable waiting that long to find a place. I ended up signing a lease at Lincoln on University, which I think will be nice also.
I signed a lease at Landmark on Lovers Lane. A little pricey, but I was very impressed with everything. They are very new, so the amenities are very nice. I def recommend it.

patsfan31502

New

Post by patsfan31502 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:41 pm

Do most (or are most people) get a place by themselves or with roommates? Trying to figure out whether or not I should find roommates or just get a place solo

emmy463

New

Post by emmy463 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:12 pm

patsfan31502 wrote:Do most (or are most people) get a place by themselves or with roommates? Trying to figure out whether or not I should find roommates or just get a place solo
I'm getting a place by myself. I figure I'll be spending a lot of time at my apartment, and I didn't want to go through through the process of finding a roommate. There's a good bit of people looking for roommates on the facebook page though.

Have you guys heard anything about the JD/MBA program at SMU? I'm thinking about doing the dual degree program and am interested in business law. I've read some forums on here and the consensus seems to be that if you're not going to a T14 and M7 school then it's a waste of time. I just don't see how it could be a negative though if you have the opportunity to get an MBA for only one more year of schooling. What are y'all's thoughts?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:19 am

JD/MBA won't really help you get a legal job. A few people from my clas did it and it wasn't beneficial in terms of hiring.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:44 pm

Afterparty wrote:Not sure if anyone has looked into this or not; or maybe someone who has experienced it could provide some insight, but does anyone have suggestions for or already have OR have previously used a first year study schedule? This would be a schedule for someone who wants to do very well but still wants some sort of social life (go out maybe once a week).

I was hoping someone who has gone thru their first year and did well could provide some feedback for their 7 day/1 week study schedule. Just curious as to how much time we should spend actually studying and do LS related stuff. Thanks in advance!!
1L: I came to campus for the first class of the day (9 or 10) and stayed until 6:30 or 7 most days (4 or 5 on Fridays), either in class or in the library (or eating lunch); as finals or LRWA deadlines approached, those hours would stretch out. I usually worked about 3-4 hours on Sunday afternoon. Except for the end of the semester, I never worked on Saturdays.

Three of us (four in spring) had a study/outline group and we started getting together about 4-5 weeks into each semester every Friday afternoon for about 3-5 hours, then going to twice a week as the semester drew to a close depending on how much more outlining we had to do or how rough we felt on one subject or another. During finals, we typically studied separately half the day and then together half the day on non-finals days. (On finals days it was all separate).

As you will note, that schedule still allows you most of your evenings free and a free Saturday and most of Sunday. The key is to treat it like a job. Show up, work hard all day, and go home.

(FWIW, the rest of the group worked similar hours and was very successful).
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:00 am

I definitely gotta apply to SMU after reading the first page of law firms. Apparently my grandfather's law firm recruits heavily from SMU!

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:07 am

choward014 wrote:I definitely gotta apply to SMU after reading the first page of law firms. Apparently my grandfather's law firm recruits heavily from SMU!
Not only that, but my best friends father's law firm also recruits from there! Both of them are good $$$ options. Haha almost no point in going anywhere else if the $$$ right
Last edited by ilikebaseball on Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Stevoman

Bronze

Post by Stevoman » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:58 pm

Some random rambling thoughts from a rising 3L:

Study groups: Don't waste your time during the semester. Studying together before each of you has individually studied the material is unproductive. Get your outlining done, then start meeting for study groups about a week before finals. Spend that time reviewing concepts, and working through/hashing out hypos. Study groups should be where you're polishing up your knowledge, not learning it for the first time. Also, limit it to 2-3 people; any more and productivity tanks.

Housing: anywhere around SMU is going to have undergrads. Fancy places like the Standard and BLVD will be infested with kids partying on daddy's money - avoid. The Village also has its share of kids, but also a mix of professionals/working class, so depending on which Village complex you end up in it can actually be better. I've been in The Avery (across Skillman from the Village) for two years and it's a pretty good mix of students and professionals. Never been kept up by a party. Obviously the Village will be significantly cheaper than the newest luxury places. Don't live in Uptown; it's way too expensive and has far too many distractions.

JD/MBA: From everything I've been told, it's a complete waste of a year of your life.

Roommates: I highly advise avoiding the library. It's a pressure cooker of stress and distractions. I studied at home my first year, and so glad I didn't have a roommate. On the flip side, I know others who studied at the library and did just fine, and others who studied at home despite having a roommate and also did fine. It's up to your personal preferences.

Outlines: There's a good outline bank somewhere. Used to be a Google Drive but I think that got shut down. I've got a copy of it on my hard disk and have been meaning to put it on a Dropbox, maybe I'll get to it one weekend this summer.

TheJanitor6203

Silver

Post by TheJanitor6203 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:15 am

School starts in a month. Anyone else starting to get a little anxious?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crchildress

Bronze

Post by crchildress » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:59 pm

TheJanitor6203 wrote:School starts in a month. Anyone else starting to get a little anxious?
Kind of wondering if we are ever going to be enrolled in classes?

TheJanitor6203

Silver

Post by TheJanitor6203 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:12 pm

crchildress wrote:
TheJanitor6203 wrote:School starts in a month. Anyone else starting to get a little anxious?
Me too. I've been told that SMU is notoriously slow with everything. I've been resisting the urge to ask when they're going to be available for a week now.

emmy463

New

Post by emmy463 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:02 pm

TheJanitor6203 wrote:
crchildress wrote:
Me too. I've been told that SMU is notoriously slow with everything. I've been resisting the urge to ask when they're going to be available for a week now.
Can't be too much longer now...hopefully. This summer has just zoomed by for me. Definitely nervous/excited about school starting soon.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:54 am

Didn't you guys get your section numbers yet?

Here are your enrolled classes:

http://www.law.smu.edu/Registrar/Course ... edule.aspx

http://www.law.smu.edu/Registrar/App/Fi ... 014&Year=1

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheJanitor6203

Silver

Post by TheJanitor6203 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:21 am

Nope, we're still not enrolled.

Stevoman

Bronze

Post by Stevoman » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:44 am

Don't worry about it, they'll figure it out eventually. SMU Law's bureaucracy is the exact same as every other university ever: slow, and bound to screw things up the first time.

TheJanitor6203

Silver

Post by TheJanitor6203 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:08 am

I finally broke down and called. Registrar said about another week probably. They still haven't received the names from admissions.

Stevoman

Bronze

Post by Stevoman » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:37 am

If you think this is fun, just wait for grading time. About three different departments and individual professors all waiting on each other...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheJanitor6203

Silver

Post by TheJanitor6203 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:10 pm

Stevoman wrote:If you think this is fun, just wait for grading time. About three different departments and individual professors all waiting on each other...
I'm sure I'll be pulling my hair out. Patience is not one of my virtues.

emmy463

New

Post by emmy463 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:44 am

TheJanitor6203 wrote:
Stevoman wrote:If you think this is fun, just wait for grading time. About three different departments and individual professors all waiting on each other...
I'm sure I'll be pulling my hair out. Patience is not one of my virtues.
I'll be right there with you!

thisiswater

Silver

Post by thisiswater » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:40 pm

Quick question- I've seen some students at other schools talking about lockers. Do SMU students have those too?

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:45 pm

Yes. And they're better than UT's.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thisiswater

Silver

Post by thisiswater » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:47 pm

BVest wrote:Yes. And they're better than UT's.
Perfect, thank you!

TheJanitor6203

Silver

Post by TheJanitor6203 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:19 pm

You can also rent a locker at the gym fyi.

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:27 pm

someone needs to make a SMU c/o 2018 thread... I would but mine wouldn't touch the rest of the threads I've seen. There are some NICE pics of SMU out there. Like that one with downtown Dallas partially lit up in the background and the skies are pink from the sunset. Really is a nice place. Great option here in Dallas that I definitely feel is underrated.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:54 pm

TheJanitor6203 wrote:You can also rent a locker at the gym fyi.
You can also just go to your car in between classes.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”