Columbia Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

When will you be moving in / to NYC?

Already in the city / before end of June
8%
Early or mid-July
2%
End of July
10%
August 1~4
14%
August 5~8
24%
August 9~12
24%
August 13~15
12%
After August 15, because IDGAF
8%

Total votes: 51

mylifeis24

Bronze

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Post by mylifeis24 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:25 pm

theoutpostmhs wrote:
mylifeis24 wrote:Found 2 new updates! Tons more stuff in LawNet for us 1Ls and our firstname.lastname@law.columbia.edu emails are active!
what else besides the emails?
LawNet has a lot more tabs now than the 3 tabs it originally had.

girlmonster

Bronze

Post by girlmonster » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:30 pm

Aside from Community Service Day, have any of y'all responded for some of the orientation events (e.g., happy hours, tours, picnics, etc.)?

milkandcheerios

Bronze

Post by milkandcheerios » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:17 am

girlmonster wrote:Aside from Community Service Day, have any of y'all responded for some of the orientation events (e.g., happy hours, tours, picnics, etc.)?
I haven't but thats because I'm moving in pretty late so I'll probably spend the days leading up to orientation running around trying to buy furniture and getting settled. I'm kinda bummed that I'll have to miss out though.

papercut

Silver

Post by papercut » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:22 am

milkandcheerios wrote:
girlmonster wrote:Aside from Community Service Day, have any of y'all responded for some of the orientation events (e.g., happy hours, tours, picnics, etc.)?
I haven't but thats because I'm moving in pretty late so I'll probably spend the days leading up to orientation running around trying to buy furniture and getting settled. I'm kinda bummed that I'll have to miss out though.
How are you guys finding out about these? I'm don't think I got any of this info emailed to me.

mylifeis24

Bronze

Post by mylifeis24 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:42 am

papercut wrote:
milkandcheerios wrote:
How are you guys finding out about these? I'm don't think I got any of this info emailed to me.
We got an email with a bunch of orientation info over a month ago. Check the orientation website: http://web.law.columbia.edu/students/st ... rientation

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

papercut

Silver

Post by papercut » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:56 am

mylifeis24 wrote:
papercut wrote:
milkandcheerios wrote:
We got an email with a bunch of orientation info over a month ago. Check the orientation website: http://web.law.columbia.edu/students/st ... rientation

tlsapp2017

Bronze

Post by tlsapp2017 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:19 pm

milkandcheerios wrote:
I thought all of the orientation events happened after orientation already started... did I miss something?

KingFish

Bronze

Post by KingFish » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:09 pm

tlsapp2017 wrote:
milkandcheerios wrote:
I thought all of the orientation events happened after orientation already started... did I miss something?
No need to rsvp for anything yet. The in-demand events (US Open, Yankee game) will send out emails during legal methods that you will have to quickly reply to.

milkandcheerios

Bronze

Post by milkandcheerios » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:24 pm

tlsapp2017 wrote:
milkandcheerios wrote:
The community service thing is the day before orientation. But I guess that's the only one that takes place before.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zcobb

New

Post by zcobb » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:31 pm

Moved into my apartment today!!! (at least moved my stuff in even though i won't be living here until the 9th) It finally feels real!

papercut

Silver

Post by papercut » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:37 pm

zcobb wrote:Moved into my apartment today!!! (at least moved my stuff in even though i won't be living here until the 9th) It finally feels real!
Congrats. I fly in tomorrow. :shock:

dc91

Bronze

Post by dc91 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:38 pm

zcobb wrote:Moved into my apartment today!!! (at least moved my stuff in even though i won't be living here until the 9th) It finally feels real!
That's so exciting! I'll be moving in Friday, but I leave for NYC tomorrow. (Gotta love road trips.) It's way too real.

fleurdelis2

Bronze

Post by fleurdelis2 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:37 pm

mylifeis24 wrote:
fleurdelis2 wrote:I'm trying to get a new MacBook right now. Anyone know how much campus discounts are (if any)? I can only find the full price + $100 apple gift card combo.
I would hold off on that at least for another day- new MacBook Pros are supposed to come out tomorrow. As for the price, here is the link to the education store: http://store.apple.com/us-hed/buy-mac/macbook-pro

Oh good, thanks so much for the info

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

theoutpostmhs

Bronze

Post by theoutpostmhs » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:28 pm

For everyone in furnished apts - does anyone know what size the beds are? Asking because I need to buy sheets.

scoobysnax

Bronze

Post by scoobysnax » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:38 pm

theoutpostmhs wrote:For everyone in furnished apts - does anyone know what size the beds are? Asking because I need to buy sheets.
I believe it's twin.

moopness

Bronze

Post by moopness » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:52 pm

scoobysnax wrote:
theoutpostmhs wrote:For everyone in furnished apts - does anyone know what size the beds are? Asking because I need to buy sheets.
I believe it's twin.
Should be extra long twin I think.

runthetrap

Bronze

Post by runthetrap » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:30 am

ahh so exciting! moving in on the 5th!
moopness wrote:
scoobysnax wrote:
I believe it's twin.
Should be extra long twin I think.
truly looking forward to my ninth year of sleeping in a twin xl bed

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ShrimpToastMasters

Bronze

Post by ShrimpToastMasters » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:03 pm

-answered- Also - in NYC and jobless for the next two weeks :) I'm down to hang out if anyone wants to day drink or anything

tlsapp2017

Bronze

Post by tlsapp2017 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:32 pm

ShrimpToastMasters wrote:-answered- Also - in NYC and jobless for the next two weeks :) I'm down to hang out if anyone wants to day drink or anything
I'm definitely down - I'm moving in on Sunday and don't have too much planned, so I'll mostly be bumming around the city :)

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:47 pm

I'm around as well, and jobless as well.

ShrimpToastMasters

Bronze

Post by ShrimpToastMasters » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:17 pm

kk - we should plan something for Monday (because who has anything to do on a Monday anyways, psha)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

milkandcheerios

Bronze

Post by milkandcheerios » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:58 pm

Do you guys think using an iPad w/ a keyboard for taking notes in class is doable?

EquallyWrong

Gold

Post by EquallyWrong » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:21 pm

tlsapp2017 wrote:
ShrimpToastMasters wrote:-answered- Also - in NYC and jobless for the next two weeks :) I'm down to hang out if anyone wants to day drink or anything
I'm definitely down - I'm moving in on Sunday and don't have too much planned, so I'll mostly be bumming around the city :)
man...wish I had picked an earlier move in so I could hang with you unrepentant internet degenerates :cry: :cry: :cry:

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:23 pm

milkandcheerios wrote:Do you guys think using an iPad w/ a keyboard for taking notes in class is doable?
Meh, unclear. I tried an ipad without an external keyboard and found that my typing speed slowed down too much to take adequate notes. Legal Methods, if your prof allows laptops, is a good time to try out different note-taking methods and see what works for you. Though if you also plan to take reading notes electronically, you might find that an iPad makes it too difficult to have multiple windows open at once during class. Also use Evernote, and then your notes will be available on all your devices regardless.

ETA: I just realized this was the c/o 2017 thread and not the ask 1Ls thread. I hope you're not offended by my unsolicited advice.

milkandcheerios

Bronze

Post by milkandcheerios » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:05 pm

ph5354a wrote:
milkandcheerios wrote:Do you guys think using an iPad w/ a keyboard for taking notes in class is doable?
Meh, unclear. I tried an ipad without an external keyboard and found that my typing speed slowed down too much to take adequate notes. Legal Methods, if your prof allows laptops, is a good time to try out different note-taking methods and see what works for you. Though if you also plan to take reading notes electronically, you might find that an iPad makes it too difficult to have multiple windows open at once during class. Also use Evernote, and then your notes will be available on all your devices regardless.

ETA: I just realized this was the c/o 2017 thread and not the ask 1Ls thread. I hope you're not offended by my unsolicited advice.
Not at all! Your advice is appreciated.

Should some notes not be taken electronically? I actually prefer to hand write my notes; i did it all through my undergrad, but I thought it would be a good time to switch to typed notes in law school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”