UC-Berkeley Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
Wiggly

Bronze

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Post by Wiggly » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:47 pm

Last edited by Wiggly on Fri May 23, 2014 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mac2013

Bronze

Post by mac2013 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:55 am

Hey could anyone who visited both Stanford and Berkeley pm me and let me know of their thoughts on the differences or similarities? Thanks!

DrStudMuffin

Bronze

Post by DrStudMuffin » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:01 am

mac2013 wrote:Hey could anyone who visited both Stanford and Berkeley pm me and let me know of their thoughts on the differences or similarities? Thanks!
Also interested in this.

Typhoon24

Silver

Post by Typhoon24 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:21 pm

submitted my (free) deposit just now. I'll see you all in the fall :D

aldiddy

Bronze

Post by aldiddy » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:55 pm

To those who have gotten matching scholarshipps: when was/is your deadline to accept?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hellomellow

Bronze

Post by hellomellow » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:56 pm

aldiddy wrote:To those who have gotten matching scholarshipps: when was/is your deadline to accept?

I got mine today and they extended my deadline to the 21st

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:49 pm

Hey everyone, congrats on your accomplishments this cycle! Once you've decided on a school, make your way over to the TLS Class of 2017 thread http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 8&t=227952 to let everyone know where you're going.

PourMeTea

Platinum

Post removed.

Post by PourMeTea » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:58 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by PourMeTea on Fri May 08, 2015 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gary

Bronze

Post by Gary » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:35 pm

Do you get an e-mail if you are given a matching scholarship?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:41 pm

Gary wrote:Do you get an e-mail if you are given a matching scholarship?
I think so? But people have said the e-mail has been delayed also? So...maybe worth also just checking on BearFacts?

FWIW, I saw in last year's thread that a bunch of matching decisions came out this week.

hellomellow

Bronze

Post by hellomellow » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:55 pm

I received an email on Monday about my matching scholarship. If you need it to be expedited you can ask!

teenybean

Bronze

Post by teenybean » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:57 pm

Anyone thinking of doing the law preview course in sf this summer?

snappysalmons

New

Post by snappysalmons » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:13 pm

If your match has been declined, do they email you saying that directly? Or does just a zero for your "gift aid" show up on the finaid page?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dr.Zer0

Silver

Post by Dr.Zer0 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:12 pm

hellomellow wrote:I received an email on Monday about my matching scholarship. If you need it to be expedited you can ask!
Hey! I was wondering how you went about asking for an expedited decision?

schnaupal

New

Post by schnaupal » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:04 am

For those of you who applied for matching scholarships, how long did it take for you to receive a response?

koalacity

Silver

Post by koalacity » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:42 am

schnaupal wrote:For those of you who applied for matching scholarships, how long did it take for you to receive a response?
I know someone who submitted theirs over a month ago and is still waiting (even though their scholarship deadline for the other school has now passed, and this person sent a follow-up email to the matching person at Berk about the status of their application and never received a reply). On the other hand, I've heard of people hearing back in a week.

JR20

New

Post by JR20 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:56 am

koalacity wrote:
schnaupal wrote:For those of you who applied for matching scholarships, how long did it take for you to receive a response?
I know someone who submitted theirs over a month ago and is still waiting (even though their scholarship deadline for the other school has now passed, and this person sent a follow-up email to the matching person at Berk about the status of their application and never received a reply). On the other hand, I've heard of people hearing back in a week.
Same thing here. Submitted it weeks ago and even sent a follow-up email, but no reply. I know Berkeley is stingy, but how stingy are they really? My stats are at or above the 75ths and I was admitted 3 months ago, so I thought I would get something. Still no word on regular scholarships or matching scholarships.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

schnaupal

New

Post by schnaupal » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:26 pm

JR20 wrote:
koalacity wrote:
Same thing here. Submitted it weeks ago and even sent a follow-up email, but no reply. I know Berkeley is stingy, but how stingy are they really? My stats are at or above the 75ths and I was admitted 3 months ago, so I thought I would get something. Still no word on regular scholarships or matching scholarships.
Man, that's terrifying. I submitted on Monday and am really worried now about the deadlines I have on 4/25.

hellomellow

Bronze

Post by hellomellow » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:21 pm

you guys, i'm telling you.. just spam their inbox about how urgent it is.

wowhio

Bronze

Post by wowhio » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:57 pm

Hey all.

I got my Matching Request back on Tuesday. No match -- not even partial. Extremely, extremely disappointing. Literally three hours after finding out, I was on a last-minute flight to Durham to visit Duke, so I could fully consider their scholarship offer.

There's a good chance I won't be matriculating at Berkeley this fall. It's sad because Berkeley really is/was my dream school. When I got in, I basically stopped considering going anywhere else. Now, though, real life is hitting and I'm realizing that "the dream" isn't actually worth it at any price.

It's pretty upsetting. Berkeley brags about its commitment to public interest but they've offered me no aid whatsoever -- despite that interest being abundantly clear in my application. It seems ludicrous to me that my PI-focus is the thing that makes me prefer Duke to Berkeley. But Berkeley's whole warm-and-fuzzy 'we support our PI graduates' pleasantries isn't enough, I guess. Supporting PI grads isn't just having this liberal attitude like 'we wanna do good and help people!' What it should mean is making Berkeley affordable -- at least slightly more affordable -- for those of us that will make less money in PI jobs. I want to be a public defender. And, in a few years, I want to graduate and feel like I can do that. I don't want to feel this pressure to take a firm job for 'just a few years' to pay down $210k in debt. And yes, LRAP is a great and amazing resource, but I'm going to need that assistance wherever I go. The difference is really just how screwed I will be if Congress discontinues PSLF.

Sorry to rant. I wish all of you the best wherever you end up, and good luck deciding where that will be.

Marshmallow

Bronze

Post by Marshmallow » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:09 pm

wowhio wrote:Hey all.

I got my Matching Request back on Tuesday. No match -- not even partial. Extremely, extremely disappointing. Literally three hours after finding out, I was on a last-minute flight to Durham to visit Duke, so I could fully consider their scholarship offer.

There's a good chance I won't be matriculating at Berkeley this fall. It's sad because Berkeley really is/was my dream school. When I got in, I basically stopped considering going anywhere else. Now, though, real life is hitting and I'm realizing that "the dream" isn't actually worth it at any price.

It's pretty upsetting. Berkeley brags about its commitment to public interest but they've offered me no aid whatsoever -- despite that interest being abundantly clear in my application. It seems ludicrous to me that my PI-focus is the thing that makes me prefer Duke to Berkeley. But Berkeley's whole warm-and-fuzzy 'we support our PI graduates' pleasantries isn't enough, I guess. Supporting PI grads isn't just having this liberal attitude like 'we wanna do good and help people!' What it should mean is making Berkeley affordable -- at least slightly more affordable -- for those of us that will make less money in PI jobs. I want to be a public defender. And, in a few years, I want to graduate and feel like I can do that. I don't want to feel this pressure to take a firm job for 'just a few years' to pay down $210k in debt. And yes, LRAP is a great and amazing resource, but I'm going to need that assistance wherever I go. The difference is really just how screwed I will be if Congress discontinues PSLF.

Sorry to rant. I wish all of you the best wherever you end up, and good luck deciding where that will be.
are you me?

seriously though, I felt the same way when I was first accepted. Matching also denied. good luck with your ultimate decision.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

wowhio

Bronze

Post by wowhio » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:13 pm

Marshmallow wrote:

are you me?

seriously though, I felt the same way when I was first accepted. Matching also denied. good luck with your ultimate decision.
Thanks, Marshmallow. :)

Mind if I ask where you're deciding between?

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:14 pm

sorry wowhio :( but Duke is great regardless

Marshmallow

Bronze

Post by Marshmallow » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:15 pm

wowhio wrote:
Marshmallow wrote:

are you me?

Thanks, Marshmallow. :)

Mind if I ask where you're deciding between?
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=228036

and it's all because Berkeley broke my heart.

:lol: just kidding. kind of.

wowhio

Bronze

Post by wowhio » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:17 pm

Marshmallow wrote:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=228036

and it's all because Berkeley broke my heart.

:lol: just kidding. kind of.
That must have been a hard decision. Good luck with everything!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”