Harvard Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

State your section!

Section 1
9%
Section 2
16%
Section 3
11%
Section 4
9%
Section 5
27%
Section 6
11%
Section 7
17%

Total votes: 75

wtrc

Gold

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Post by wtrc » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:58 pm

soo...

grades...?

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:28 pm

wtrc wrote:soo...

grades...?
From the other thread:
tomwatts wrote:Because I'm a nerd about these sorts of things Because I'm a nerd, I wondered a bit about the Registrar's email five days ago (on 1/15/15). It predicted a grade release "on or before Tuesday, January 27."

It turns out that the Registrar sent a similar email last year, dated 1/17/14, predicting a grade release on 1/28/14, and grades were in fact released on 1/28/14. An email confirming that they would be released on 1/28/14 was sent on 1/27/14.

The year before, the Registrar sent an email on 1/3/13 predicting a grade release in "late January." grades were released on 1/28/13 and announced only after the fact (i.e., the Registrar sent an email saying that grades were posted).

The previous year, the Registrar did not send such an email, presumably because HELIOS was brand new and they were still adjusting to its features. Grades were released on 1/26/12 and announced only after the fact.

What this history suggests to me is that fall grades are almost certainly going to come out on 1/27/15, and the Registrar will send an email on 1/26/15 confirming the release date and time. If I remember correctly, the time is always wrong; grades are always out a few hours before the announced time.

(In case anyone's curious, J Term grades came out on 2/18/12, 2/25/13, and 2/19/14.)
It's probably not going to be 1/26 since that would require sending out the email on a Sunday. So we'll probably know by Thursday (if they don't send an email) that they're coming on 1/27.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:28 pm

wtrc wrote:soo...

grades...?
Shh, pretend they don't exist.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:52 pm

So not today then. Lol at OCS 01/20 info

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:12 pm

1L Formal? Y/N

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

malleus discentium

Silver

Post by malleus discentium » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:30 pm

how bout them memo grades

politics89

Bronze

Post by politics89 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:08 pm

malleus discentium wrote:how bout them memo grades
We don't get ours til Monday :(

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:15 pm

politics89 wrote:
malleus discentium wrote:how bout them memo grades
We don't get ours til Monday :(
I have no idea when we get ours, so I'm guessing the 27th.

wealtheow

Silver

Post by wealtheow » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:25 pm

We can pick our memos up tomorrow. V scurry.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:43 am

Who's excited for the one day back followed by the snow day?

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:48 am

wtrc wrote:Who's excited for the one day back followed by the snow day?
Kinda hoping we don't get a snow day since we'll just have to make the class up anyway, and makeup classes are annoying. But then again, it would be nice to have a four-day week.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:30 am

Our LRW is tomorrow evening, so looks like probably cancelled. Already frustrated about the make up.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:36 am

Yeah, as much as I like not having class, I found the makeups to always be in even more inconvenient time-slots.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nothingtosee

Silver

Post by nothingtosee » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:33 am

Word on the street is some climenkos gave LPs.
:shock:

fred013

New

Post by fred013 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:42 pm

nothingtosee wrote:Word on the street is some climenkos gave LPs.

P was worse in my section. i am literally 0 percentile right now

wealtheow

Silver

Post by wealtheow » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:51 pm

No idea what section it was, but overheard someone in my PSW saying a prof emailed them a heads up that he "had" to give LPs this time. Oof. :roll:

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:39 pm

Fwiw, I have heard the registrar is saying it is "extremely unlikely" that grades will be delayed by the weather, and that they will almost certainly be released by tomorrow. That obviously affords them some wiggle room, but it seems like things are still probably on track.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:00 pm

Our Climenko said he gave LP's for going over the page limit.

Thanks for the grades info LS22; looks like we can all get grades and get day drunk tomorrow.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:01 pm

Pneumonia wrote:Our Climenko said he gave LP's for going over the page limit.

Thanks for the grades info LS22; looks like we can all get grades and get day drunk tomorrow.
Update: "We are expecting to release tomorrow but you should receive a communication if anything changes."

Less definitive than what they were saying earlier. I'm thinking it might be Wednesday now.

robotrick

Bronze

Post by robotrick » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:50 pm

Grades are up, FYI.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:04 pm

Dear 1Ls who got all Ps or have some LPs:

Before you ask, yes, it will be OK. You will get a job. You will have call-backs at EIP.

Lots of people have all Ps and have no problem. The median number of Hs for the year is approximately 3, and there is a portion of the class that will do law review and clerkships and whatnot get all Hs and DSs. Great for them. But all Ps is also just fine and very common. The vast majority of firms still want to hire you.

I'm not going to tell you to try harder in Spring semester or really work on your interviewing skills. Sure, you can do those things if you want, but you'll get a job either way.

Even if you got all Hs, the most important H on your transcript will still be the "H" in Harvard. The difference between all Hs and all Ps is marginal for post-graduation outcomes at HLS.

To any 1Ls from another school who are reading this: I have no idea what of the above applies to you. I only have experience with Harvard's OCI. Best of luck though!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sup_stan

New

Post by sup_stan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:19 pm

TripTrip wrote:Dear 1Ls who got all Ps or have some LPs:

Before you ask, yes, it will be OK. You will get a job. You will have call-backs at EIP.

Lots of people have all Ps and have no problem. The median number of Hs for the year is approximately 3, and there is a portion of the class that will do law review and clerkships and whatnot get all Hs and DSs. Great for them. But all Ps is also just fine and very common. The vast majority of firms still want to hire you.

I'm not going to tell you to try harder in Spring semester or really work on your interviewing skills. Sure, you can do those things if you want, but you'll get a job either way.

Even if you got all Hs, the most important H on your transcript will still be the "H" in Harvard. The difference between all Hs and all Ps is marginal for post-graduation outcomes at HLS.

To any 1Ls from another school who are reading this: I have no idea what of the above applies to you. I only have experience with Harvard's OCI. Best of luck though!
Thanks for the encouraging words. I'm personally disappointed by the fact that even though I got an H on my final memo, I still ended up with a P in LRW. I really invested a lot of time on my final memo and it did not save me. Welp, cest la vie.

rabbit5000

New

Post by rabbit5000 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:29 pm

sup_stan wrote:
TripTrip wrote:Dear 1Ls who got all Ps or have some LPs:

Thanks for the encouraging words. I'm personally disappointed by the fact that even though I got an H on my final memo, I still ended up with a P in LRW. I really invested a lot of time on my final memo and it did not save me. Welp, cest la vie.
I'm in the exact same boat and it really stinks, what a waste of time. Had I known I was dead for an H in the class I'd have done something more productive/enjoyable with my time, like sleep or drink mercury

Indigo12

New

Post by Indigo12 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:01 am

fred013 wrote:
nothingtosee wrote:Word on the street is some climenkos gave LPs.
P was worse in my section. i am literally 0 percentile right now
Alright so apparently this forum is more of a "regulars" kind of place with fewer lurkers, but since there's a lot of overlap between here and the "Ask a Question" thread:

No idea what this Fred character's deal is but he claims to be:

1. In Section 3
2. Have some beef with his J-term class
3. Have these grades and, all semester long, curious about what grades he needs for WLRK and feeders and whatnot.

Because I have a certain person in mind in Section 3 who, from what I hear, people think had a hiccup with his J-term class. I doubt there are 2 people in Section 3 who had such a hiccup so Fred, along with his lowercase manner of writing, may be trying to impersonate someone in Section 3 so as to hurt that the real Section 3er's esteem.

I can say for sure that he does not have the grade breakdown quoted above.

But it's probably more disconcerting to be the person who's mistaken to correspond to Fred.

So if you have a first guess as to who it is, it's probably not him. PM if you care. Also, please PM if you have think you know who Fred the TLS username corresponds to, with initials or something, so that I can assure you otherwise. I think we can all agree that no one wants their peers suspecting "I think that's Fred."

ETA: Fred also claims to know a thing or 2 about the parking policies and permits and such. He also claims to be interested in Chicago firms. Your first guess, if it's the same as who I think people's first guess is, grew up in a nonChicago city whose under25 demographic has an infamously low rate of actually bothering to get a driver's permit, so he has no reason to know a thing about parking or anything Chicago.

I'm definitely aware that it's a waste of time that I'm even entertaining this delusion,* but being mistaken for Fred and all his "unique" traits is surely a worse fate than being thought of as a bit neurotic over that fate.

*The TLS post of which this is a copy-paste was timestamped Wed, 01/28, 2:26AM EST. I made a clear reference to this phrase on my FB at 2:42AM. The fact that the TLS post preceded the FB post is important: If the FB post had come beforehand, then anyone who sees it can just post it on TLS. Whereas only the person who controls both can make the FB post follow the TLS one.

fred013

New

Post by fred013 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:02 am

Get a life dude, yes I'm from Chicago what the hell is your problem? Please stop outing me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”