Harvard Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

State your section!

Section 1
9%
Section 2
16%
Section 3
11%
Section 4
9%
Section 5
27%
Section 6
11%
Section 7
17%

Total votes: 75

codyoneill

Bronze

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Post by codyoneill » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:16 am

It's been a day and it still hasn't sunk in for me, especially since the news came before needing to work all evening and take an overnight trip to visit family for Thanksgiving.

Very unreal. I'm not sure if this was the same for any of the rest of you, but I didn't let myself or my wife really think/plan about Harvard before acceptance. We spent time speculating about other T14/T6 schools, but I just didn't want to get my/our hopes up for Harvard. It's unreal to look at Harvard Law as a guaranteed possibility.

So happy things worked out, and so excited to really acknowledge a future at Harvard. Especially considering my wife's job prospects are strong in Boston and I have family in New England, Harvard is an almost certain destination, regardless of other acceptances that may arrive.

And Specs, after reading your last post, nice to see another potential member of the Harvard Couples Association. Danielle (my JS1 interviewer) brought the Couples Association to my attention, and my wife is thrilled that it seems to be a legit community / organization.

HorseThief

Silver

Post by HorseThief » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:07 am

codyoneill wrote: Very unreal. I'm not sure if this was the same for any of the rest of you, but I didn't let myself or my wife really think/plan about Harvard before acceptance. We spent time speculating about other T14/T6 schools, but I just didn't want to get my/our hopes up for Harvard. It's unreal to look at Harvard Law as a guaranteed possibility.
I'm the exact same way. I didn't even let myself imagine what it'd be like to be in law school, but it's surreal to now picture myself studying law at Harvard. These past few days have been really fun for daydreaming.

The-Specs

Silver

Post by The-Specs » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:09 am

codyoneill wrote:It's been a day and it still hasn't sunk in for me, especially since the news came before needing to work all evening and take an overnight trip to visit family for Thanksgiving.

Very unreal. I'm not sure if this was the same for any of the rest of you, but I didn't let myself or my wife really think/plan about Harvard before acceptance. We spent time speculating about other T14/T6 schools, but I just didn't want to get my/our hopes up for Harvard. It's unreal to look at Harvard Law as a guaranteed possibility.

And Specs, after reading your last post, nice to see another potential member of the Harvard Couples Association. Danielle (my JS1 interviewer) brought the Couples Association to my attention, and my wife is thrilled that it seems to be a legit community / organization.
I have never heard of this couples association but it sounds great. I know of some other admits that are married as well. My wife may be more excited about HLS than I am (if that is possible, which I highly doubt) except for the cold as she is from SoCal.

That being said I totally get what you mean. We talked about being in New York, Charlottesville, and even Chicago or Ann Arbor but Cambridge and New Haven were the places that could not be named (not speculated about). Now that it is here i don't really know what do with myself. I kind of feel like Ricky Bobby, "I don't know what to do with my hands."

TeufelHunden88

New

Post by TeufelHunden88 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:58 am

The-Specs wrote:
codyoneill wrote:It's been a day and it still hasn't sunk in for me, especially since the news came before needing to work all evening and take an overnight trip to visit family for Thanksgiving.

I have never heard of this couples association but it sounds great. I know of some other admits that are married as well. My wife may be more excited about HLS than I am (if that is possible, which I highly doubt) except for the cold as she is from SoCal.

That being said I totally get what you mean. We talked about being in New York, Charlottesville, and even Chicago or Ann Arbor but Cambridge and New Haven were the places that could not be named (not speculated about). Now that it is here i don't really know what do with myself. I kind of feel like Ricky Bobby, "I don't know what to do with my hands."
I'm also married, and have a child (any other parents out there?), and my wife is very excited... again except for the weather as she is from SoCal as well. I'm kind of from SoCal but I'm a transplant, I consider myself "from" Chicago where I was born and raised. But it has been awhile since I've lived through a real winter lol. Its worth it though, I can't wait!

How long should it take to be accepted on the fb page... I requested to join a few days ago but nothing yet? Maybe because of holiday? Anyone else notice this?

HorseThief

Silver

Post by HorseThief » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:57 am

TeufelHunden88 wrote: How long should it take to be accepted on the fb page... I requested to join a few days ago but nothing yet? Maybe because of holiday? Anyone else notice this?
I haven't heard anything more and it doesn't look like they've added anyone to the page since I sent my request on Tuesday. They're probably off until next week.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:32 pm

I was a bit the opposite. I kept talking about it, I guess I was just so excited by the possibility, and I was terrified I had set myself and everyone I knew up for disappointment. Looking at apartments and finaid is so weird now because this has been a dream for so long and I never really expected it to happen.

HorseThief

Silver

Post by HorseThief » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:19 pm

Shoot, that brings up a good point. When do apartments tend to get signed?

codyoneill

Bronze

Post by codyoneill » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:25 pm

I used to live in Boston and apartments get signed pretty close to move-in.

I think I signed in April a lease that started in May. I think it is pretty rare to sign a lease for a place more than a month or two in advance.

The-Specs

Silver

Post by The-Specs » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:08 pm

TeufelHunden88 wrote: (any other parents out there?)
I will be by the time school starts. June 7th.

This has been a good last couple of months for us. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

The-Specs

Silver

Post by The-Specs » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:11 pm

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I feel like all of us in this thread have so much to be thankful for. Enjoy the day.

charlie.black

Bronze

Post by charlie.black » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:50 pm

Happy Thanksgiving all! Much to be grateful for this week. Fortunate doesn't even begin to cover it. It is most likely that my wife and I will be in Cambridge come August as well. Hope to see you all in March!

rendlelaw

New

Post by rendlelaw » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:52 pm

TeufelHunden88 wrote: I'm also married, and have a child (any other parents out there?)
If we bump our way to Boston next year, it will be with a three-year-old girl and a two-year-old boy in tow. Do you have any future best friends headed our way?

TeufelHunden88

New

Post by TeufelHunden88 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:31 pm

The-Specs wrote:

Congrats! It is tough work, but worth every minute of it! You have been blessed, much to be thankful for. Enjoy your Thanksgiving.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TeufelHunden88

New

Post by TeufelHunden88 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:33 pm

rendlelaw wrote:
TeufelHunden88 wrote: I'm also married, and have a child (any other parents out there?)
If we bump our way to Boston next year, it will be with a three-year-old girl and a two-year-old boy in tow. Do you have any future best friends headed our way?
By the time class starts, I'll have a 2.5 year old girl. It'll be nice to have other parents around.

Sourrudedude

Bronze

Post by Sourrudedude » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:53 pm

The-Specs wrote:

Congrats, that's way better than Harvard.

Anyone else watching Legally Blonde on Bravo to prepare?

The-Specs

Silver

Post by The-Specs » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:15 pm

Sourrudedude wrote:
The-Specs wrote:

Congrats, that's way better than Harvard.

Anyone else watching Legally Blonde on Bravo to prepare?
Thanks. :) I watched that last week and I couldn't help but roll my eyes at Elle Woods.

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:24 pm

I'm going up to visit on Dec. 15th, anyone have any suggestions on what I should check out? I was thinking of looking at some of the apartment and dorm areas. Only be there a few days, the trip was convenient so I thought I'd go up.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

HarvardHopeful

Bronze

Post by HarvardHopeful » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:17 am

CyanIdes Of March wrote:I'm going up to visit on Dec. 15th, anyone have any suggestions on what I should check out? I was thinking of looking at some of the apartment and dorm areas. Only be there a few days, the trip was convenient so I thought I'd go up.

Try Lord Hobo for lunch or dinner. It was highly recommended so I tried it a few weeks ago and it didn't disappoint. Try their famous fries! It is mostly pub food and has a large selection of beer.

Other than that, dress warm :D

The-Specs

Silver

Post by The-Specs » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:17 pm

My primary email on my status checker just changed to a havard email address (@jd17.harvard.law.edu).

That's a pretty cool feeling... 8)

New

Post by AvatarEyes08 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:26 pm

The-Specs wrote:My primary email on my status checker just changed to a havard email address (@jd17.harvard.law.edu).

Same. Hopefully they send the email with all that information today

The-Specs

Silver

Post by The-Specs » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:28 pm

The-Specs wrote:My primary email on my status checker just changed to a havard email address (@jd17.harvard.law.edu).

Yeah, i am pretty sure they are going to send it with the admissions packet but I feel like that will take awhile.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

New

Post by AvatarEyes08 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:47 pm

The-Specs wrote:

Yeah, i am pretty sure they are going to send it with the admissions packet but I feel like that will take awhile.
Oh yeah, that makes sense

scoopDeeDoo

New

Post by scoopDeeDoo » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:23 pm

Last edited by scoopDeeDoo on Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cway

Bronze

Post by cway » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:59 pm

scoopDeeDoo wrote:
The-Specs wrote:

Admissions packet came in for me today. I'm not close to Boston either.

edit: And I can't seem to find any login info.

I can't find login info in my packet either. Wasn't it supposed to be included? Where else would it be?

The-Specs

Silver

Post by The-Specs » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:07 pm

Hmmm, i thought they were going to be in the packets. All it says on my Status Checker is that "Your login information will be sent securely."

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”