Harvard Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

State your section!

Section 1
9%
Section 2
16%
Section 3
11%
Section 4
9%
Section 5
27%
Section 6
11%
Section 7
17%

Total votes: 75

cway

Bronze

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Post by cway » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:12 pm

Last edited by cway on Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The-Specs

Silver

Post by The-Specs » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:13 pm

Just got an email from Harvard. All better now. :)

NapoleonXV

Bronze

Post by NapoleonXV » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:19 pm

The-Specs wrote:Just got an email from Harvard. All better now. :)
+1 so excited having a law.harvard.edu email

The-Specs

Silver

Post by The-Specs » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:26 pm

NapoleonXV wrote:
The-Specs wrote:Just got an email from Harvard. All better now. :)
+1 so excited having a law.harvard.edu email
Fact! I feel official now.

codyoneill

Bronze

Post by codyoneill » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:54 pm

It is funny how the email address makes me feel officially, unequivocally accepted.

Looks like that JS2 really did happen!

I can't believe how relaxed I feel compared to a week ago. What great news!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:10 pm

codyoneill wrote:It is funny how the email address makes me feel officially, unequivocally accepted.

Looks like that JS2 really did happen!

I can't believe how relaxed I feel compared to a week ago. What great news!
+1

HorseThief

Silver

Post by HorseThief » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:08 pm

+1 for the relaxed state as well.

But -1 until I understand this statement of intent thing. It's non-binding, right?

The-Specs

Silver

Post by The-Specs » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:47 pm

HorseThief wrote:+1 for the relaxed state as well.

But -1 until I understand this statement of intent thing. It's non-binding, right?
Where did you see this?

HYS123

New

Post by HYS123 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:43 am

Packet in mail as well. From my reading the letter of intent is not necessarily binding, but does require you both to withdraw from all schools you've already been accepted too, and to list the schools for which you still have applications pending. So I think it's fine if you're still holding out on YS or whatever else, just list them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HorseThief

Silver

Post by HorseThief » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:11 am

Statement of intent is both in the packet and online.

I've update the original post with important dates and other useful info. Had fun(?) reading through all of the website. I think the only way to take away the glow of a JS2 is reading the financial aid website. Wow is that intimidating.

NapoleonXV

Bronze

Post by NapoleonXV » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:53 am

HYS123 wrote:Packet in mail as well. From my reading the letter of intent is not necessarily binding, but does require you both to withdraw from all schools you've already been accepted too, and to list the schools for which you still have applications pending. So I think it's fine if you're still holding out on YS or whatever else, just list them.

What else is in the packet? any gifts :D ?

Pancakes12

Bronze

Post by Pancakes12 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:04 am

HYS123 wrote:What else is in the packet? any gifts :D ?
No gifts yet :( Anybody know if we'll get any eventually?

HorseThief

Silver

Post by HorseThief » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:43 am

I'm hoping for gold-plated pens (fingers crossed).

But more seriously, I think gifts are given during ASW, and in last years threads people mentioned signed books being sent after ASW.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

yzero1

Bronze

Post by yzero1 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:02 am

HorseThief wrote:I'm hoping for gold-plated pens (fingers crossed).

But more seriously, I think gifts are given during ASW, and in last years threads people mentioned signed books being sent after ASW.
Last year we got signed books (they try to personalize them based on your background/application) and a HLS luggage tag (separately mailed).

HarvardHopeful

Bronze

Post by HarvardHopeful » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:25 am

I had my mail sent to a parents address :cry: What's in the admissions packet?! I wont be able to get it for at least another week.

HorseThief

Silver

Post by HorseThief » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:57 am

HarvardHopeful wrote:I had my mail sent to a parents address :cry: What's in the admissions packet?! I wont be able to get it for at least another week.
+1

I'm hoping there's nothing that isn't already on the site.

Sourrudedude

Bronze

Post by Sourrudedude » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:07 pm

HorseThief wrote:
HarvardHopeful wrote:I had my mail sent to a parents address :cry: What's in the admissions packet?! I wont be able to get it for at least another week.
+1

I'm hoping there's nothing that isn't already on the site.
It's essentially the same but with a sticker.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

HorseThief

Silver

Post by HorseThief » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:26 am

Well, I sent in that enrollment form thinking that it's non-binding, and now I've gotten two e-mails from the staff telling me how excited they are that I will be joining them next fall. It's probably still non-binding but,
  1. I'm thinking I should've asked them to clarify if it is binding,
  2. Maybe I've committed myself to HLS next year,
  3. That is not the worst problem I could have
Last edited by HorseThief on Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

The-Specs

Silver

Post by The-Specs » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:58 pm

HorseThief wrote:Well, I sent in that enrollment form thinking that it's non-binding, and now I've gotten two e-mails from the staff telling me how excited they are that I will be joining them next fall. It's probably still non-binding but,
  1. I'm thinking I shouldn't ask them to clarify if it is binding,
  2. Maybe I've committed myself to HLS next year,
  3. That is not the worst problem I could have
This is why I am not terribly worried about this:
LSAC's Statement of good practice wrote:Except under binding early decision plans or for academic
terms beginning in the spring or summer, no law school
should require an enrollment commitment of any kind to an
offer of admission or scholarship prior to April 1.

HorseThief

Silver

Post by HorseThief » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:16 pm

The-Specs wrote: This is why I am not terribly worried about this:
LSAC's Statement of good practice wrote:Except under binding early decision plans or for academic
terms beginning in the spring or summer, no law school
should require an enrollment commitment of any kind to an
offer of admission or scholarship prior to April 1.
I thought about that too, but HLS didn't require any enrollment. My submission was entirely voluntary. I'm not worried either, but if anyone else is paranoid about this, it might be worth a call/e-mail to the office.

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:23 pm

World's biggest first world problem? Lol.

To add on to that, I'm really struggling with whether or not I should apply to Yale. Spivey seems to think 173's have a better shot now than any other year but I'm not really sure if I'd prefer Yale over Harvard. I know I'm suppose to, but 3 years in Cambridge seems more interesting than New Haven to me. Plus, I'd have to try to solicit a fee waiver or swallow the entire $85, which, for a school I'm not %100 percent I'd attend, is a lot relative to my total net worth. Anyone want to tell me I'm crazy for not being sure I'd pick Yale over Harvard?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

HorseThief

Silver

Post by HorseThief » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:40 pm

You aren't crazy. They're both excellent schools, and depending on what area of law you'd prefer to study, HLS might be a better choice. That said, I'd still put out the application if I were you.

Personally, I can think of a lot of reasons why I'd prefer HLS to Yale, but I haven't thought about it carefully. I threw out apps to both and figured that I'd make that choice if hell froze over and I ended up with acceptances to both schools.

$85 might be a lot of money now, but it's a small investment, and something might change for you in the next 5 months that would make Yale the obvious choice. You're clearly good enough for the T3, so why not just give Yale a shot?

The-Specs

Silver

Post by The-Specs » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:42 pm

CyanIdes Of March wrote:World's biggest first world problem? Lol.

To add on to that, I'm really struggling with whether or not I should apply to Yale. Spivey seems to think 173's have a better shot now than any other year but I'm not really sure if I'd prefer Yale over Harvard. I know I'm suppose to, but 3 years in Cambridge seems more interesting than New Haven to me. Plus, I'd have to try to solicit a fee waiver or swallow the entire $85, which, for a school I'm not %100 percent I'd attend, is a lot relative to my total net worth. Anyone want to tell me I'm crazy for not being sure I'd pick Yale over Harvard?
I don't think you are crazy at all. I think Yale is a better fit for my goals and even I am not sure that I would pick Y over H anymore. I agree, cambridge seems like a much better city to spend 3 years in (especially with a family) than is New Haven. I applied becuase I can't afford to have the "what if" looming but now I am not sure what I would do if they accepted me.

scoopDeeDoo

New

Post by scoopDeeDoo » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:31 pm

Last edited by scoopDeeDoo on Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:39 pm

scoopDeeDoo wrote:
The-Specs wrote:
CyanIdes Of March wrote:World's biggest first world problem? Lol.

I don't think you are crazy at all. I think Yale is a better fit for my goals and even I am not sure that I would pick Y over H anymore. I agree, cambridge seems like a much better city to spend 3 years in (especially with a family) than is New Haven. I applied becuase I can't afford to have the "what if" looming but now I am not sure what I would do if they accepted me.
Since we're on the subject, why does everyone hate on New Haven? Not challenging, just have no idea about the area.
I don't know much about it other than it has a fairly high crime rate (and those 2 points don't make the city particularly attractive by itself). On the other hand, I've heard a lot of good things about Boston/Cambridge.

Of course, it's probably not wise to pick my law school based primarily on location... but it is 3 years of my 20s I'll be spending somewhere.
Last edited by CyanIdes Of March on Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”