Duke Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

How's everyone feeling?

Super freaked out.
27%
Kind of freaked out.
7%
Freaked out...
13%
Thinking I should've been a blacksmith.
40%
My dad's a named partner, so...
13%

Total votes: 15

Pyromancer

New

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Post by Pyromancer » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:52 am

Anyone trying to catch a Durham Bulls game this week?

blink

Bronze

Post by blink » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:27 pm

LoganFL wrote:Anyone trying to catch a Durham Bulls game this week?
I was thinking of getting a group together to go steal a bunch of crab legs. Should we do that before or after the Bulls game?

PB&J.D.

Bronze

Post by PB&J.D. » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:33 pm

blink wrote:
I was thinking of getting a group together to go steal a bunch of crab legs. Should we do that before or after the Bulls game?
8)

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:55 pm

I was just thinking about this. That'd be fun.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:38 pm

rollie POLLie!

I've started publishing past results in the OP.
I'm also welcoming suggestions for future, better polls.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JingoFett

New

Post by JingoFett » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:55 pm

Jules239 wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:Can't wait to move on Monday! We should do a Pinnacle Ridge poolside cook-out or at least a meet-up of some sort next week. Of course, any and all should come.
I def want to do this or maybe a poker night. I'll be gone in Myrtle Beach during the week, though. We should schedule something for the weekend.
You go on vacation for one week and you miss the whole party planning committee...damn. Well, I move into Pinnacle on the 11th and I'm stoked.

gta

Bronze

Post by gta » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:37 pm

JingoFett wrote:
Jules239 wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:Can't wait to move on Monday! We should do a Pinnacle Ridge poolside cook-out or at least a meet-up of some sort next week. Of course, any and all should come.
I def want to do this or maybe a poker night. I'll be gone in Myrtle Beach during the week, though. We should schedule something for the weekend.
You go on vacation for one week and you miss the whole party planning committee...damn. Well, I move into Pinnacle on the 11th and I'm stoked.
Also moving into Pinnacle Ridge on the 11th! Got a 1,000 mile road trip to Durham in front of me first.

carolinainmymind

Bronze

Post by carolinainmymind » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:05 am

Moving in Pinnacle Ridge Saturday. Anyone want to help unload a few things Saturday? Beer and thanks will await you.

JingoFett

New

Post by JingoFett » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:59 am

gta wrote:Also moving into Pinnacle Ridge on the 11th! Got a 1,000 mile road trip to Durham in front of me first.
Wow...you're not doing that all in one trip are you? You'll def need a beer after that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Serett

Post by Serett » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:52 am

JingoFett wrote:
gta wrote:Also moving into Pinnacle Ridge on the 11th! Got a 1,000 mile road trip to Durham in front of me first.
Wow...you're not doing that all in one trip are you? You'll def need a beer after that.
That's almost exactly how long my drive was. Driving diagonally through Indiana is suicide-inducing.

gta

Bronze

Post by gta » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:14 am

JingoFett wrote:
Nah I'm doing it over two days. The first day is all cornfields (which I'm used to). The second day is all mountains (which I'm not).

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:35 am

gta wrote:
JingoFett wrote:
Nah I'm doing it over two days. The first day is all cornfields (which I'm used to). The second day is all mountains (which I'm not).
One summer I drove from GA to northern PA by going through the West Virginia mountains (instead of straight north through Ohio, which was a mistake). The driving stress induced by those 18 wheelers barreling down those mountain roads is second to none.

Serett

Post by Serett » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:42 am

gta wrote:
JingoFett wrote:
You coming from the Midwest? Sounds like my trip. The second day of it is much better, IMO. The drive is significantly more interesting.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OliveBC

Bronze

Post by OliveBC » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:54 am

SplitMyPants wrote:
gta wrote:
JingoFett wrote:
One summer I drove from GA to northern PA by going through the West Virginia mountains (instead of straight north through Ohio, which was a mistake). The driving stress induced by those 18 wheelers barreling down those mountain roads is second to none.
I drove home to Indiana after ASW through the West Virginia mountains and it was pouring rain the entire time :evil: absolutely thought I was going to die

gta

Bronze

Post by gta » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:37 am

Serett wrote:
gta wrote:
JingoFett wrote:
You coming from the Midwest? Sounds like my trip. The second day of it is much better, IMO. The drive is significantly more interesting.
Yeah, I came down in May to check out the area and look at some apartments, and I enjoyed the second day a lot more too. The West Virginia Turnpike is a fun drive.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:21 am

OliveBC wrote: I drove home to Indiana after ASW through the West Virginia mountains and it was pouring rain the entire time :evil: absolutely thought I was going to die
One of several reason I won't be upset if I never have to drive through West Virginia again.

WhereIsMyMind

New

Post by WhereIsMyMind » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:24 pm

carolinainmymind wrote:Moving in Pinnacle Ridge Saturday. Anyone want to help unload a few things Saturday? Beer and thanks will await you.
YOU! You are summoned to play poker at Pinnacle on Saturday night. You can take my place. Feel bad about about rain checking. I promise that you’ll be in good company!

ps. If you do this for me, I’ll let you be on my pictionary team next time we play :lol: :lol: :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:18 pm

WhereIsMyMind wrote:YOU! You are summoned to join us in playing poker at Pinnacle on Saturday night. You can take my place. Feel bad about about rain checking.I promise that you’ll be in good company!
Fixed that for you. :lol:

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:21 pm

carolinainmymind wrote:Moving in Pinnacle Ridge Saturday. Anyone want to help unload a few things Saturday? Beer and thanks will await you.
What time are you moving and do you still need another set of hands?

WhereIsMyMind

New

Post by WhereIsMyMind » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:51 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:
WhereIsMyMind wrote:YOU! You are summoned to join us in playing poker at Pinnacle on Saturday night. You can take my place. Feel bad about about rain checking.I promise that you’ll be in good company!
Don’t be an arse. Btw, I’m loving the creativity with the polls. Keep the work buddy! :D

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:11 pm

WhereIsMyMind wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:
Don’t be an arse. Btw, I’m loving the creativity with the polls. Keep the work buddy! :D
:|

lol - it was made in haste! I'll deliver with a better poll soon.

Meanwhile, I'm still open to suggestions.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:26 pm

Just made a poll similar to scotti's in the c/o 2017 thread from a few week's back. It's not creative, but it is an interesting metric nonetheless.

retaking23

Bronze

Post by retaking23 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:27 pm

Has anyone bought a new laptop for school? I'm debating whether I should drop some cash on this but can't decide if it's worth it. I was looking over the law school computing page and they recommend windows 7 or 8 professional OS. Went through undergrad just fine with home premium so I'm wondering if that's really necessary.

Currently I'm running a 4 year old machine with win 7, 4 gigs of ram, and an i5 dual core. Still have a ton of space left on it and it's never let me down. But then again, I might not get another excuse to buy a new toy for a while if I don't act on this opportunity.

Serett

Post by Serett » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:31 pm

retaking23 wrote:Has anyone bought a new laptop for school? I'm debating whether I should drop some cash on this but can't decide if it's worth it. I was looking over the law school computing page and they recommend windows 7 or 8 professional OS. Went through undergrad just fine with home premium so I'm wondering if that's really necessary.

Currently I'm running a 4 year old machine with win 7, 4 gigs of ram, and an i5 dual core. Still have a ton of space left on it and it's never let me down. But then again, I might not get another excuse to buy a new toy for a while if I don't act on this opportunity.
I asked about this in the "Ask a Law Student/Graduate" forum, and the professional requirement sounded unnecessary. I did buy a new laptop for law school not because I was worried about my preexisting one but because it was/is unwieldy as a nearly 8-pound laptop.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:36 pm

retaking23 wrote:Has anyone bought a new laptop for school? I'm debating whether I should drop some cash on this but can't decide if it's worth it. I was looking over the law school computing page and they recommend windows 7 or 8 professional OS. Went through undergrad just fine with home premium so I'm wondering if that's really necessary.

Certainly don't do it for the OS. Home Premium is fine. See here: http://www.cnet.com/news/which-windows- ... t-for-you/

You could probably also even upgrade your ram to 6 or 8 gb.

That said, 4 years is old for a laptop. I don't think you can bank on getting through 3L with it. May as well bite the bullet now and not have to be frustrated with a slow computer 1L year. That's my $0.02 anyways.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”