UVA Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

Where will you be living during your 1L year?

Pavilion
15%
Ivy
11%
Jeffersonian
17%
Arlington Park Townhomes
9%
Arlington Court Condos
No votes
Graduate Centre
2%
University Place
4%
Landmark at Granite Park
No votes
Other
36%
Undecided
6%

Total votes: 47

okaygo

Silver

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Post by okaygo » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:27 pm

Slightly jealous that my friends going to GULC in the fall are getting their class schedule/section assignments today.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:29 pm

okaygo wrote:Slightly jealous that my friends going to GULC in the fall are getting their class schedule/section assignments today.
Revisit this statement in November

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:35 pm

I expect all of you have accommodation set up, but if not I and my family are moving at the start of August. As a result our 3 bedroom townhouse will be available at the start of August for rental through June, then it should be renewable for twelve months at that time. There's one large master bedroom and two smaller bedrooms. We use one of those for my office.

It's perfectly suited for a family with plenty of grass out front and back in a really friendly neighborhood. It's a ten minute drive to the law school. The house had its siding and windows replaced in the past year, which should help keep the bills down. The community has garden plots and a small playpark.

Rent is just $1,035 - a real bargain. Drop me a PM if anyone is interested.

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:14 pm

Br3v wrote:
okaygo wrote:Slightly jealous that my friends going to GULC in the fall are getting their class schedule/section assignments today.
You should be glad you don't get your schedules/section assignments until the Friday before orientation. It makes things very relaxed for the weeks before orientation. Y'all should try and plan a 1L class meetup or something. We had one last year with most of the 1L class at the Bilt the Saturday before orientation that spilled over to Three, Virg, Trinity, and Boylan on the Corner.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:59 am

shadowofjazz wrote:
Br3v wrote:
You should be glad you don't get your schedules/section assignments until the Friday before orientation. It makes things very relaxed for the weeks before orientation. Y'all should try and plan a 1L class meetup or something. We had one last year with most of the 1L class at the Bilt the Saturday before orientation that spilled over to Three, Virg, Trinity, and Boylan on the Corner.
Can you believe it's been a year?

I'm excited for you guys. Have fun this year, don't forget you want to be here and how lucky you are too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:56 pm

Br3v wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:
Br3v wrote:
Can you believe it's been a year?

I'm excited for you guys. Have fun this year, don't forget you want to be here and how lucky you are too.
I really can't believe it's been a year. Time really flew.

To the incoming 1Ls, hit the batting cages if you intend to play softball but haven't played in a while. You don't want to be the one in your section who can't hit.

OsaroLJ

Bronze

Post by OsaroLJ » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:16 pm

Anyone know when we can expect tuition info from UVA?

swampman

Bronze

Post by swampman » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:38 pm

OsaroLJ wrote:Anyone know when we can expect tuition info from UVA?
Not sure exactly what you're asking about, but 2014-2015 tuition info is available here http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/prospe ... uition.htm and you should have received a couple emails already regarding financial aid and loans.

OsaroLJ

Bronze

Post by OsaroLJ » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:10 am

swampman wrote:
Not sure exactly what you're asking about, but 2014-2015 tuition info is available here http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/prospe ... uition.htm and you should have received a couple emails already regarding financial aid and loans.
Yikes.

Thanks for the link.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:41 pm

swampman wrote:
i hate how they keep tuition rates the same for in-state students (what you pay when you come in is your tuition each year), but out of state students have to pay the new rates =\

RCO2012

Silver

Post by RCO2012 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:32 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
swampman wrote:
i hate how they keep tuition rates the same for in-state students (what you pay when you come in is your tuition each year), but out of state students have to pay the new rates =\
I don't believe this is true. According to the websites in-state was $47,900 last year and is now $49,800. I wish it was true though (except for the part where out of state students get the increase).

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:37 pm

RCO2012 wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:
swampman wrote:
I don't believe this is true. According to the websites in-state was $47,900 last year and is now $49,800. I wish it was true though (except for the part where out of state students get the increase).
Incoming students are at $51,800 for in-state. That's still different from the out of state kiddies.

RCO2012

Silver

Post by RCO2012 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:56 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
RCO2012 wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:
swampman wrote: Not sure exactly what you're asking about, but 2014-2015 tuition info is available here http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/prospe ... uition.htm and you should have received a couple emails already regarding financial aid and loans.
Incoming students are at $51,800 for in-state. That's still different from the out of state kiddies.
Yeah. It's definitely still discounted, but it doesn't seem to remain the same for all 3 years. It looks like it still increases.

ETA: The 49,800 is in reference to 2L & 3L.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:01 am

5 1Ls from TLS in the Jeff? That's pretty cool. I think we only had 5 or 6 1Ls (TLS and otherwise) in the Jeff last year. Feel free to stop by and say hi in August (PM me or something for details).

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:52 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
swampman wrote:
Not true - I'm in state and my tuition went up ~3k.

meegee

Bronze

Post by meegee » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:18 pm

So uhh, I finally activated my email account. Is it normal to get an email account that seems to be composed of a random combination of letters and digits?

For instance, my college email had a email address that somewhat reflected my real name. The email address I got from UVa just seems like it was randomly generated.

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:24 pm

meegee wrote:So uhh, I finally activated my email account. Is it normal to get an email account that seems to be composed of a random combination of letters and digits?

For instance, my college email had a email address that somewhat reflected my real name. The email address I got from UVa just seems like it was randomly generated.
it should be your first, middle (if you have one), and last initial, followed by a random number and two random letters.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:03 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
meegee wrote:So uhh, I finally activated my email account. Is it normal to get an email account that seems to be composed of a random combination of letters and digits?

it should be your first, middle (if you have one), and last initial, followed by a random number and two random letters.
You can get an alias of your choice @email.virginia.edu if you really don't like the number/letter combination. Here's the link

It can be nice to have the alias for things like your resume at OGI time or if you need to give out your address over the phone.

Gooner91

Silver

Post by Gooner91 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:04 am

Yay finally found my apartment!!

hoorahray

New

Post by hoorahray » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:21 am

Gooner91 wrote:Yay finally found my apartment!!
Congrats! It's a good feeling. What area did you land in?

RCO2012

Silver

Post by RCO2012 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:38 am

Gooner91 wrote:Yay finally found my apartment!!
Awesome!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

skarman

New

Post by skarman » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:53 pm

Hi all!

I am looking for someone to take over my lease for fully furnished 1 bedroon in Jeffersonian. Rent is $745/month. Jeffersonian is arguably the best place for UVa law school students because it's right next to the law school (located even closer to law school than Pavilion) and located very close to Barracks mall. Message me if you're interested or have any questions!
Last edited by skarman on Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just

Bronze

Post by Just » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:08 pm

Hi 1Ls,

I'm a rising 2L and have the following supplements to sell. Most are helpful ones for the first semester. Let me know if you are interested. The crim text book is $35. The rest is all $10 or lower.
--ImageRemoved--
(In case the picture doesn't work:http://charlottesville.craigslist.org/b ... 26500.html)

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:22 am

Just wrote:Hi 1Ls,

I'm a rising 2L and have the following supplements to sell. Most are helpful ones for the first semester. Let me know if you are interested. The crim text book is $35. The rest is all $10 or lower.
--LinkRemoved--
1Ls, wait on buying any supplements until you know what prof you have. Also, the library has all of these for free. Someone should probably buy this person's CrimLaw (Bonnie) textbook though (unless there's a new edition - there might be since we used some printouts from the new edition last year).

Just

Bronze

Post by Just » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:13 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
Just wrote:Hi 1Ls,

--LinkRemoved--
1Ls, wait on buying any supplements until you know what prof you have. Also, the library has all of these for free. Someone should probably buy this person's CrimLaw (Bonnie) textbook though (unless there's a new edition - there might be since we used some printouts from the new edition last year).
You can check out some older editions for the semester. For new ones, you can check them out for three hours only. I thnk the civil procedure ones and crim ones may apply to most sections. Anyway, I just want the books taken before moving...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”